Pop Quiz hotshot...

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
Tell me your favourite 10 action films of the 90s.

Yep. As simple as that.

After creating a few threads about seemingly seldom seen films, I want to hear some opinions on films that people have definitely seen!
The 90s were an interesting time for action movies coming out of the 'one-man-army' type films from the 80s like Rambo, Commando and Die Hard. There were some films that carried on this tradition however, like Seagal's Under Siege films.

The stars of the 80s still flexed their muscles into a new decade; Schwarzenegger had Terminator 2 and True Lies, JCVD and Lundgren faced off in Universal Soldier, Willis continued the Die Hard franchise as well as buddying up with a Wayans brother in Last Boy Scout, while Stallone had a dismal decade in truth. He did however star in Assassins, which was penned by arguably the game-changers of the decade - The Wachowski Brothers.

Outside Hollywood, Hong Kong cinema set the bar with stylized orchestrated violence that would influence later 90s films. Hard Boiled's director John Woo would bring his style to Hollywood to mixed success.

So, allow me to share my top ten, though not in order.

Speed
Keanu Reeves had a tremendous decade, starting with Point Break in 1991 and finishing with Matrix in 1999. Sandwiched in between was this high concept piece of brilliance that pitted a resilient and tough LA cop against a vengefully sadistic ex-cop (Dennis Hopper) with a penchant for the explosively dramatic. Sandra Bullock was a great pick as an ever-toughening damsel in distress, though her inclusion and Reeves' exclusion from the sequel was bewildering.

Face/Off
John Woo struck a perfect balance here with his Hong Kong influence of over-the-fucking-top orchestrated gun fights with 2 of Hollywood's biggest stars who were able to take the mick out of themselves and each other in a film that still holds up over a decade on. Some of the stunts were insane and despite the films length, it has a good rhythm and energy throughout.

Terminator 2 - Judgement Day
Not one of Arnies best films, not one of the 90s best films, not one of Cameron's best films, quite simply it is one of THE best action films ever made. Avoiding the sequel curse and easily equal to Empire and Godfather 2 in terms of surpassing the original, T2 developed the storyline and characters, introduced some dialogue and phrases that are still quoted today, and perhaps above all is one of the few films that men will admit to shedding a tear to at the end.

Hard Boiled
Don't question how the handguns can somehow hold 40 rounds without reloading. Don't question the over-the-top violence. Don't question the things that don't make sense or aren't realistic in this film. Just disconnect logic, connect enjoyment and prepare to be blown away by a shell-spitting, bullet fueled ballet of choreographed craziness that John Woo found tough to surpass.

Last Boy Scout
Shane Black was one of the 90s hottest properties and this film is the answer to the question, "why?" Snappy sharp dialogue delivered by a mis-matched pair whose chemistry is undeniable. The jokes fly as much as the bullets and are more accurate. My favourite performance from Willis and still highly enjoyable.

Starship Troopers
Paul Verhoeven is one of those directors that, perhaps due to his delay between films, doesn't get as much recognition in the action genre as he perhaps should. His social ideas and views filter into his films that often make them feel very fresh. Starship Troopers cutting to adverts for the Corps throughout the film isn't something you see everyday but fit the tone of the film exceedingly well.

Heat
Michael Mann's best film and a massive influence on The Dark Knight, as well as arguably being both De Niro and Pacino's last great film. Mann had done Heat before as a TV movie called LA Takedown with a TV movie type cast. Many of the same ideas are carried over into Heat but expanded upon with a true heavyweight cast that helped boost the tone of professionalism in the film. There are several moments and scenes where the characters' faces are saying more than the silence or dialogue, like Tom Sizemore staring a civilian down in a café, or De Niro and Pacino mirroring each other in THAT café scene.

The Matrix
Leaving the sequels aside, the original is still a fantastic film not only for introducing bullet-time and PVC clad women, but having a great set of ideas behind it with the main one having mass appeal; what if this world is an illusion and the bedraggled lonesome everyman can become something great? It's the classic hero story for the internet age. Reeves was the perfect choice for Neo, though it was rumoured that both Ewan McGregor and Will Smith were both close to getting the role. Reeves' blank and confused demeanor was used to such great effect that young Theodore Logan would be proud.

Under Siege
I have a soft spot for the man with fast hands and 2 expressions. Add Gary Busey and Tommy Lee Jones hamming it way the fuck up and this is an enjoyable film. The sequel deserves a mention too for the brilliant line of, "What am I doing? Oh yeh... I'm making a bomb!"

Blade
I could have put Point Break here, but Keanu's had 2 mentions and this definitely deserves a mention. Stephen Dorff never really recaptured his form from Blade where test audiences wanted more of him onscreen and so the ending was re-shot. As Frost, he was a decent foil to Blade and Kris Kristofferson deserves a mention for his great grizzled performance as Whistler.
Stephen Norrington has been MIA since League of Extraordinary Gentleman, but Blade is proof that at one time he had some directorial panache.

Windows has created an excellent list with ten very worthy candidates for the 90s greatest actioners. As I agree with several of his choices, I decided to go on a slant here and create an alternate top 10 of more out there and obscure movies. So, no sequels and some box office flops. There are some choices I would go for more inline with the opening post but I'll not name check them (yet, anyway) and I hope this encourages y'all to choose some debatable flicks to create some discussion;).

Anyways, in no particular order, see what you think...

• Last Action Hero (1993) - Much maligned but IMO greatly underrated satire of the films that made the Govinator.
  • Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) - If LAH is the action movie satire, LW1 is the spoof and what a spoof. In the great tradition of the ZAZ movies the mission statement is quite simple - don't worry if you don't like this joke, there'll be another one along in a matter of seconds. Emilio and Sam L make great Riggs and Murtagh ripoffs.
  • Last Man Standing (1996) - Criminally ignored updating of A Fistful Of Dollars trading a Western setting for Prohibition; TexMex families for Irish and Italian family mobs; and Eastwood for Willis.
  • Demolition Man (1993) - Stallone vs Snipes... in a quasi post apocalyptic California where 80s action heroes are considered dinosaurs yet 80s radio ad jingles are revered. I find Sandra Bullock even more likable here than in Speed as the police officer wishing that paradise wasn't half as nice.
  • Showdown In Little Tokyo (1991) - Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee in a hybrid of odd couple action/comedy and martial arts. Fast and frenetic 75minutes.
  • Universal Soldier (1992) - Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Ludgren in a film synopsis I could only describe as Casualties Of War (1989) meshed with T2: Judgement Day (1992) with a martial arts slant to the action.
  • From Dusk Til Dawn (1996) - Clooney, Tarantino and Kietel all excel in this tongue in cheek vampire actioner.
  • The Fifth Element (1997) - Luc Besson does alien actioner. Tremendous fun to be had as Willis replaces the trademarked grubby white vest for a bright orange version. Gary Oldman is on top form as the bad guy and Milla Jovovich excels in combining vulnerability with kickass as Leeloo 'The Fifth Element'.
  • In The Line Of Fire (1993) - Eastwood and Malkovich engage in a war of wills with the life of the President on the line. As good as it sounds.
  • Bad Boys (1995) - The film that made the Fresh Prince an action star and set Michael Bay on his way to become the most synonymous director with the action genre. Beverly Hills Cop for the 90s.

[*]Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) - If LAH is the action movie satire, LW1 is the spoof and what a spoof. In the great tradition of the ZAZ movies the mission statement is quite simple - don't worry if you don't like this joke, there'll be another one along in a matter of seconds. Emilio and Sam L make great Riggs and Murtagh ripoffs.

If you can put this on the list, (I love that movie by the way) which I see as a comedy over anything else, I have no problem putting AOD on mine.

T2 – This one is simple. I remember thinking how cool it was now that Schwarzenegger, as the bad guy in the first one, was now going to be the good guy fighting an even more bad ass Terminator. And yes, still one of the most quotable movies ever.

True Lies – Another Schwarzenegger, but he’s probably the best action star of all time, so I wouldn’t be surprised to hit a third as well. This movie was absolutely hilarious to me. A great blend of action and comedy.

The Last Boy Scout – Basically John McLane in a different movie, but even funnier. I always loved this movie and Damon Wayans fit with Willis so well.

The Matrix – This was just a cool idea when it came out. The special effects were different and the original story was great.

Under Siege – Pretty much what Windows said, I have a soft spot for this movie. And easily Segal’s best film.

From Dusk Til Dawn – One of the few movies I actually like George Clooney in. He was bad ass in this movie. Cheech Marin with his 3 cameo’s was good too.

The Fifth Element – This movie is just fun from start to finish. Chris Tucker can be annoying at times, but also pretty funny as his character fits in such an over the top type of movie.

Die Hard With A Vengeance – John McLane is always good. Add Samuel L. Jackson as Zeus and this one is gold. Another great watch and I loved how they eventually tied it in with the first movie as well.

Universal Soldier – I always thought this was a cool movie. Have no real explanation other than that, though Dolph Lundgren was pretty entertaining as a lunatic.

Army Of Darkness – This is seriously one of the best bad movies of all time. It’s like it was purposely bad. But it was so perfect at it. It was hilarious and has some of the best quotes from a movie you’ll ever find.

Goldeneye - Return of James Bond after ten year hiatus, one of the best movies in the franchise so far (Top 5 IMO).

Terminator 2 - From the villain to the emo teenage John Connor, I just loved this film. Best in the franchise (yes I prefer it to the original)

Starship Troopers - Not a great action movie, but as a satire of extreme Conservativism and Facism it's magnificent.

The Fifth Element - Ignore Chris Tucker (I know it's difficult but hear me out) and you have a solid Bruce Willis Sci-Fi vehicle that is still pretty damn watchable.

The Matrix - Changed Cinema.

The Rocketeer - I know it sucks but when it came out I was six. The guy had a jetpack for godsake! He defeated the bad guy with some chewing gum!

Fortress - God this film is ridiculous but with a couple of beers and some friends it's a right laugh to watch.

Demolition Man

Speed

I'm struggling for a tenth so I'm going to name two films that would ABSOLUTELY be on the list if they were made in the nineties but missed it by a year.

The Last Crusade - 1989 - Arguably the best Indy film. I love it like a child, the fourth was an abortion that made The Phantom Menace good by comparison.

Battle Royale - 2000 - Have you seen it yet? If you have you already know why, if you haven't. GO SEE IT - trust me, you'll love it.

As with everyone else, my picks are in no particular order......

Terminator 2: Judgement Day- T2 seems to be the reoccurring choice here, and you can't deny the popularity of this film. Great action, marvelous special effects, and the acting is just superb. Also, the human/machine relationship between Edward Furlong and Arnold Schwarzenegger provides a stronger emotional impact for the storyline here. Judgement Day surpasses the original Terminator in terms of quality, and James Cameron really took everything to the next level with this one.

The Rock- Yeah, I know. I'm picking a Michael Bay movie for a spot in my top ten, but I LOVE this film. The acting is just excellent, and Sean Connery easily steals the show as the standout star in this film. He shared some really good chemistry with Nicolas Cage, and Ed Harris was a great choice for the primary antagonist here. Also, John Spencer and William Forsythe deserve their fair share of the credit for the enjoyable performances, especially Spencer. The Rock is a highly entertaining action popcorn flick, and I can always watch this one over and over again.

Total Recall- Well, I'll just go ahead and get this out of the way right now...yeah, the hooker with the three tits. It's something you'll never forget, no matter how hard you try. The image of a woman with three breasts won't leave my memory for a long time, and this particular scene really provides an unforgettable movie moment, for obvious reasons.

Total Recall is an outstanding scif-fi/action film. This film features a unique premise, the action is great, and they were able to throw in some nice humor every now and then (who can forget about Thumbelina?). Arnold is in top form here, and you can feel genuine feelings of anger for the antagonists. Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside were very believable here, and Total Recall features a pretty good cast. Hopefully, the remake won't suck too bad.

Die Hard With A Vengeance- Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson formed one of the most entertaining on-screen duos I've ever seen. Their chemistry was just fantastic, and Jeremy Irons was a GREAT villain; Far more entertaining than Alan Rickman, if you ask me. Jeremy Irons proved to be the better brother, and Die Hard With A Vengeance is my favorite film in the entire series. The story for this film is more intriguing, there's a great twist at the very end, and the action scenes are very enjoyable. Die Hard 3 is loaded with some great laughs, and this one actually provides a good balance of comedy and action.

Eraser- This one might deserve a low ranking spot on Arnold's list of action classics, but Eraser can always deliver a good time for me. Eraser is a hard hitting action flick, and Arnold provides a solid enough performance here. His charisma really shines in this one, and Arnold pulled off another enjoyable performance with the leading role. Vanessa Williams annoys me at times, but James Caan was the perfect slimy, backstabbing bad guy. The story feels kind of generic, but Eraser can provide plenty of fun as popcorn flick.

Another 48 Hrs.- That's right. I'm picking Another 48 Hrs. Why? Because this film really doesn't deserve so much hate. Another 48 Hrs. was a fine sequel. Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte still shared some great chemistry, and this film does provide an excellent mixture of comedy and action. The "Iceman" storyline is more intriguing, and this story does feature some nice twists and turns. Another 48 Hrs. suffers from the "it's not as good as the original" stuff. It's a lame excuse to bash this film, and some people just can't let go of the past.

Con Air- John Malkovich. He is the fucking man in this film, and NOBODY comes close to touching him on the acting side of things. Malkovich was very convincing as a legit psycho, but he could also bring a humorous side to Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom. John Cusack and Nicolas Cage delivered a pair of solid performances, and the entire cast deserves their fair share of credit, because Con Air features some really good acting. The dialogue is fantastic, and Con Air is another perfect choice for a fun and mindless, action popcorn flick.

True Lies- Yeah, another Arnold film. I know. But I can't control my fanboyism for this guy most of the time. True Lies doesn't reach the high quality levels of other Schwarzenegger/Cameron collaborations, but True Lies is still a very entertaining blockbuster action flick. Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton provide the bulk of enjoyable humor here, and this film is loaded with some great action sequences. And for it's what worth, Tia Carrere is STILL smoking hot in this film. Again, True Lies doesn't reach the levels of other Schwarzenegger/Cameron films, but you can still have a good time with this one.

The Matrix- I was blown away, when I first saw this film in theaters as a kid. The Matrix is loaded with some very breathtaking visuals and mesmerizing action scenes. Here are a few of my favorites:

[YOUTUBE]ZQaBYT4MxWU&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]73ytL_HAwt8&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

The Matrix truly feels like a ground-breaking entry into the sci-fi/action genre, and Keanu Reeves really nailed the Neo character. I actually enjoyed Reloaded, but Revolutions has to be one of the most disappointing finales to any trilogy ever.

Starship Troopers- Starship Troopers is on my list of DVDs I love to watch over and over again, because I never get tired of this one. The action is intense and thrilling, the violence and gore constantly reach sickening levels, and the cast is just great. Basil Poledouris provided a nice set of superb scores for this film, and Starship Troopers features an outstanding soundtrack. Starship Troopers also provides a unique satire of fascism and conservatism, while showcasing the inevitable doom of young soldiers fighting and dying during a viscous war. Starship Troopers is a great action/sc-fi adventure, and this one earned a spot on my list of all-time favorites years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back