Best & Worst Movie Based On A Video Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
There have been many films made based on classic video games. Some of those films have been good or decent, and some of those films have been absolutely terrible. It can be cool to see your favorite video game made into a movie or it can be something you never want to remember because a good amount these films have been really bad. Here are some video games that have been made into films:

Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat:Annihilation
Doom
Street Fighter & Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li
Lara Croft:Tomb Raider & Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life
Super Mario Bros.
Silent Hill
Resident Evil(all 3 films)

I know I left out some movies, but please feel free to add any other films not on the list.

What's your pick for the best and worst movie based on a video game?

My pick for the best would have to be Resident Evil(2002). I loved playing these games on my Nintendo 64, and PS2, and I still remember how excited I was when this film was released. The story for this film was pretty solid, and the action scenes were cool. I like the other two Resident Evil movies, and I can't wait for the 4th , but the first one has easily been the best so far.

My pick for the worst is going to have to be Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li. I can't remember the last time I hated a movie so much. The dialogue was cheesy, the acting from almost everyone was just horrible, and Neal McDonough(Bison) was one of the worst villains ever. I don't think the first Street Fighter film was as bad as this one, but that film was also not worth looking at twice. I wanted to pick Super Mario Bros.(1993) because that's another film I really can't stand, but I had to pick The Legend of Chun-Li because it was such a train wreck.

Best

Silent Hill - Both the series and the film make absolutely no fucking sense, but I'll be damned if they both aren't visually stunning and extremely creepy. Although critics seem to hate this film, I consider this to be the standard bearer of video game adaptations.

Worst

Alone In The Dark and House of the Dead - I've played Alone In The Dark, and I thought it was quite a good game. Unfortunately, anything Uwe Boll touches is destined for Shitsville. I never knew that films could be this bad.

The best movie based on a video game is Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children because it a great continuation to the story of one of my all time favorite games. Most video game based movies aren't that great, but this was awesome. I also made my ringtone be the FF Victory Fanfare, as a tribute to a scene in this movie, way back in 2007, and it has not changed since.

The worst movie based on a video game is Super Mario Bros. That movie was kinda cool when I was little, but as I got older I realized how awful it was. They got SO many things wrong too. It honestly would have been a better movie if they had taken out every single Mario reference and made it an original film, then it would have been another random movie for kids rather than a horrible attempt at a live-action Mario movie.

Best Video Game-Turned-Movie:

Resident Evil

This was one video game-movie that I actually did enjoy. I can't say much for the sequels, but I have to admit I honestly believe Resident Evil lived up to its expectation, and in a world of really crappy video game movies, this one looks like a flower...not a gem, but a very small flower. I can't honestly think of any other live action video game movie I even enjoyed.

Worst Video Game-Turned-Movie:

BloodRayne

I can't begin to discuss how bad this movie was. The fight scenes looked improvised on the spot, the actors were miscasted, hell even the wigs they were wearing looked too fake. I guess you can't expect much from Uwe Boll though, he is our generation's Ed Wood. No wait, that's a little unfair to Mr. Wood.

Resident Evil was a decent horror movie, unlike every other movie made from a scary video game, so I will go with that as the best.

As for the worst, yikes, so many to choose from...I wanted to immediately say House of the dead, but it has Erica Durance skinny dipping. Sure its pre-boob job, but that has to count for something. So I call a tie between Double Dragon and Mario Bros.

Street Fighter with JCVD was pretty gash to be honest, he plays Guile and doesnt even die his hair blonde, so in reality he looks NOTHING like him.. just pure crap.

I did like the first Mortal Kombat though, stupid movie but enjoyable. Great techno music too haha

House of the Dead was a pretty shit film. Not as bad as the sequel but really bad nonetheless. The acting was terrible, the visuals were shit and the film just overall blew. It has been a few years since I have seen the movie so my memory of it is a little off but I am half tempted to go back and watch it just to reinforce in my brain why House of the Dead is so terrible and why it is a black mark on that particular genre.

As for best, I would probably opt for Resident Evil. It was a mostly enjoyable film especially for a game that is loved by so many people. Unlike its two sequels it at least focused on the zombies which obviously play a huge role in the game. Not to mention Michelle Rodriguez just makes me happy when I look at her. I would also attribute Resident Evil with the modern day movement of making video games into movies.

Silent Hill scared the shit out of me when i saw it and Resident Evil was pretty badass

Street Fight was horrible. i saw it on HBO once and i couldn't even watch it all because i was so disgusted.

Also you forgot DOA: Dead or Alive. the fighting scenes were pretty cool but i hated the plot.

seriously no one with Prince of Persia?...

That is one of the worst films based on a game ive seen, and Ive seen street fighter.

The acting, the accent, 150 million budget and no accent training is pretty bad, plus casting an entire white cast as persians really made me laugh my ass off.

The best film ive seen based on a video game has to be Final Fantasy advent children, great film based on the game, it really allowed the game to reach climax and is something we havent seen the last of im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back