Pick Your Poison: Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair

Pick Your Poison: Hogan or Flair

• Hulk Hogan

• Ric Flair

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who was the better wrestler/performer/entertainer ? Flair by far, both on the microphone and in the ring. Hogan was the public face of wrestling went it expanded from regional TV to international exposure, but Vince McMahon was clearly the brains behind the act so to speak. Hogan certainly had charisma and perfectly porttrayed a character tailor made for the political climate in the country at the time, but McMahon's vision was what lead WWF international, and he had a much better business sense than Jim Crockett JR, who for most of the 80's did very well in competition with Vince while other promotions were dying off.

You can argue that Hogan as the face of wrestling's expansion had a bigger impact on the industry than Flair but look at around today. HBK, Triple H, Edge, they all owe far more to Flair in their style, persona's, and wrestling ability than Hogan. Flair has been the influence, the measuring stick, for today's biggest stars, most of whom talk glowingly about how much they admire him. Even stars he hasn't gotten along with back stage like Dusty Rhodes and Mick Foley talk about how great an performer he is and how much they enjoyed working with him. You never hear that about Hogan. Flair not only provided the influence for today's biggest stars but he made the careers of many top 80's and 90's stars, Sting and Luger among them. Flair has also given back more to the industry in terms of putting over other talent than Hogan ever did.

Basically, Flair has had the greater impact on modern pro wrestling than Hogan, but niether as much as McMahon.

Actually ROHDude, Sgt. Slaughter was the first with a ring entrance, back in the WWWF. But as to this Question of who has made the bigger impact. It is Flair, as xfear said Hogan made a positive impact on Modern Pro Wrestling with Hulkamania and nWo, but look at what he has done to harm it in return, Steroid gate, effectively killed WCW by refusing to put people over in the traditional way. Look at his book, I only skimmed through it but talks as if Hogan beating Triple H, made Triple H a star.
Whereas on the other hand Ric Flair, was a major component of the creation of the faction in the Four Horsemen, without which the nWo would never have existed. Ric, as people have said built WCW, he got Sting to the place where he became an Icon. Flair has won a World title belt 20 something times (WWE excludes his NWA ones for some reason) But look at the matches flair puts on these days, they maybe a fraction of what he could dobut he still goes out there night after night. He will put his body on the line in TLC matches if needs be.
Hogan just does his Hulk Hogan original Superman thing.
The biggest reason that Flair has more influence on Modern Pro Wrestling is because whenever anyone does a chop there is a Whooo. It was at one stage a taunt by Shane Douglas but it has evolved into a tribute to Flair, does Hulk Hogan have anything like that, No. Flair is considered a huge Influence on some of the Greats of the Wrestling Industry, Triple H and Shawn Michaels are two names that spring to mind.

To me I think that flair had a bigger impact on the business.

But hogan even though i hate his character did do a ton for the business too. He started the whole merchandise boom the wrestling boom which he did twice.

But to me flair is the man and always will be and without him we wouldnt have what we have in wrestling today

I hate to say this but Hogan made a bigger impact in wrestling taking the WWF/e with Vince McMahon to another level in the 80's & then he took WCW to the top in the 90's. He is know pretty much world wide outside the world of wrestling.
Flair on the other hand is a legend only to those who truly known there wrestling and what he has done and is still doing at his age is truly amazing. He will go down as probably the greatest wrestler of all time, but Hogan is the bigger draw of the 2

I hate to say this but Hogan made a bigger impact in wrestling taking the WWF/e with Vince McMahon to another level in the 80's & then he took WCW to the top in the 90's. He is know pretty much world wide outside the world of wrestling.
Flair on the other hand is a legend only to those who truly known there wrestling and what he has done and is still doing at his age is truly amazing. He will go down as probably the greatest wrestler of all time, but Hogan is the bigger draw of the 2

Exactly.

Hogan killed WCW, Flair made it. Hogan cannnot wrestle, Flair can. Hogan was in it only for the money, Flair was born to be a wrestler. Hogan refuses to lose, which coincedentaly is what Bret Hart, another peice of $hit did, Flair dosen't mind putting someone over. Just look at WrestleMania 23. Flair was in a dark match before Mania just to help Carlito get over, Hogan refused to compete because he wanted to be the highest paid wrestler on the show. That's not a made up story, he actually said that in an interview.

Hogan killed WCW, Flair made it. Hogan cannnot wrestle, Flair can. Hogan was in it only for the money, Flair was born to be a wrestler. Hogan refuses to lose, which coincedentaly is what Bret Hart, another peice of $hit did, Flair dosen't mind putting someone over. Just look at WrestleMania 23. Flair was in a dark match before Mania just to help Carlito get over, Hogan refused to compete because he wanted to be the highest paid wrestler on the show. That's not a made up story, he actually said that in an interview.

How does that last thing help you decided who did more for the business while they were in their prime?

And as for Hogan killing ECW, you must be kidding right? HOGAN brought WCW to new levels. No one really cared about WCW before he went there in 1994, and WCW never DREAMED about beating WWF in the ratings war before Hogan turned heel in 1996 and revolutionized the business, bringing forth the attitude Era and starting the Monday Night Wars, the NWO, etc.

I have a question for you... if you were in Hogan's position... your hips are falling apart, you have problems at home, you're raising two teenagers and trying to launch your daughter's musical career. Vince McMahon calls you and asks you to job to someone at Wrestlemania or Summerslam or whatever with limited build-up and no promise of doing anything after that loss to make up for being pretty much buried (because that's what Hogan losing to someone would entail if you analyze it carefully... unless you have six months build up, and Hogan just isn't physically fit enough for that), would you wrestle? And, albeit, for less money than most of the people on the card too?

There's NO REASON for Hogan to come in and wrestle a show and LOSE, especially if he's not being paid like he wants to be.

But regardless, I don't see how that has a bearing on what either man has done for the business over the course of their career. Did you even read the original question before posting?

Hulk Hogan proved in 2005 he was nothing but a sanctamonius, egotisical piece of sh** by refusing to job to Shawn Michaels. All Hogan ever cared about was his "creative control", not about the good of the business. Exactly same as in WCW in 1994, when he refused to job to Ric Flair in the second match of their best of three series. Just shows a leapord never changes their spots...

Say what you want about Hogan's ego, but the man made wrestling what it is today. Yes, Vince wanted to take his federation national and international, and needed someone, anyone to put in the forefront. But could anyone pull it off like Hogan did?? Nope. They tried. Remember Warrior? Remember Sid? Remember Luger? Didn't work. Yeah, Flair was popular with the rednecks south of the Mason-Dixon line, but Hogan was popular WORLDWIDE. How many people who don't watch wrestling know who Flair is?? They could hit him with their car and not known who he is. But everyone knows Hulk Hogan. Period.

What you say is true to some degree Deus. But Hogan was NOT the only guy who could've thrown the WWF into the national spotlight--Randy Savage ring any bells? The guy had twice the charisma of Hogan and five times the wrestling skill. He easily could've taken Hogan's spot and no one would see any difference. Guys like Warrior, Sid(who was a heel almost his entire career by the way), and Luger all destroyed themselves before they could've had the chance to bring wrestling to a higher international ground. They were all too screwed up with drugs.

Look everyone knows who Britney Spears is, but does that mean she is the best in music because not as many people know who Eric Clapton is? No. Hogan made a huge impact, no one's arguing that, but his impact was also hugely NEGATIVE. The man was one of if not the leading factor in the downfall of WCW, and the guy hasn't put on a good match since his Japan days in the 70s. Flair however STILL has it. The man's put on countless five star classics, and his legacy will always be remembered more fondly then Hogan's.

People seem to forget Hogan's negative impact, while Flair has done nothing but elevate and help this business.

The leading downfall of WCW was Eric Bischoff's lack of business sense. Yes, he delivered a good product for a while, but it got stale and it cost Ted too much to produce.

I could have sworn this thread was originally titled "Bigger Impact....Flair or Hogan?" No doubt, Hogan had the bigger impact.

Your Britney Spears example was good. But I think it also helps my point. Yes, Clapton is a great performer. But Britney had a bigger impact on music worldwide. I mean, do you remember back in '97 when every girl over 16 dressed up as a school girl for Halloween thanks to Britney?? Thank you, Britney!!

And Macho Man?? Come on!! That guys a few cards short of a full deck. He wasn't nearly as charismatic as Hogan. He was weird and drew attention to himself, much like Warrior, but that isn't charisma.

ERIC did screw up when Raven and Syxx and Big Slow left it was a sign WCW was in trouble! As for your arguments Randy Savage had it and Paul Orndorff had more charisma than Hulk HOgan yeah recall Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff he drew many fans thats what made the feud of 1986 big and 1987 !
Roddy Piper is another one also don't give me Warrior he was screwed up on drugs for crying out loud and another one that could ve been popular upon his return was Ken Patera but McMahon ruined him when he reentered WWF at the time there were talks about him turning heel and it never got underway
So there you go! My answer is RIC FLAIR made wrestling he left a stepping stone in AWA than did it in NWA and he was the most charismatic wrestler on the face of the earth I mean 16 time champion compared to 4 time Champion Hulk HOgan and Hogan had no technical wrestling skills he hulked up did a l eg drop and it was over I dunno what wrestling fans liked in a clown he was!
Ric Flair had mic skills when he had the 4 horsemen and still did in Evolution
and so on he draws wrestling fans into himself and the sport itself
EVen the feuds in WWF at t he time and then in WCW he succeeded and he knows how to deliver a bout not like Hogan where I am yawwning
only thing good about it was when Hogan was bad in WCW it was more interesting cause he fit more of a heel than a good guy
FLair on teh other hand fits both goood and bad and neutrality which is amazing and noone can do it better t han Ric Flair he had women jets and 16 time champion streak what did Hogan have ? his vitamins and steroids lol
and talking to kids like he was a pedophile
Flair had fans of all ages he represented not a specific target group
and I rest my case!!!

The leading downfall of WCW was Eric Bischoff's lack of business sense. Yes, he delivered a good product for a while, but it got stale and it cost Ted too much to produce.

I could have sworn this thread was originally titled "Bigger Impact....Flair or Hogan?" No doubt, Hogan had the bigger impact.

Your Britney Spears example was good. But I think it also helps my point. Yes, Clapton is a great performer. But Britney had a bigger impact on music worldwide. I mean, do you remember back in '97 when every girl over 16 dressed up as a school girl for Halloween thanks to Britney?? Thank you, Britney!!

And Macho Man?? Come on!! That guys a few cards short of a full deck. He wasn't nearly as charismatic as Hogan. He was weird and drew attention to himself, much like Warrior, but that isn't charisma.

Yeah but once again your taking this question on face value. Your thinking when it asks "Who Made the Bigger Impact" that it refers to people who DIDN'T watch wrestling who were drawn in, like Hogan bringing in new fans and making WWE hugely popular by bringing in those new fans. Sure his impact was huge in the 80s in that sense, but if you look at it as who has made the bigger impact on the sport and business of professional wrestling it most undoubtedly goes to Flair. His series of matches with Ricky Steamboat will forever be remembered as possibly the GREATEST wrestling the world has ever seen, ever. Flair has influenced countless guys to step into the ring, from Triple H to Chris Benoit. If it weren't for Flair's influence you wouldn't see half of the best guys out there wrestling right now. The Hogan fans you can always tell when they turn into wrestlers, look at guys like John Cena and the Big Show---huge Hogan fanatics yet they can't wrestle their way out of a paper bag.

Britney Spears did NOT make a bigger impact on music then Eric Clapton. Sorry to bring this off topic, but that is the most ludicrous thing I've EVER heard. Let's see Britney Spears--influenced utter crap like Brooke Hogan and Jessica Simpson. Eric Clapton--influenced just about every single person to ever pick up the guitar.

I'm about to be sick that you made that statement. Sure people dressed up as Britney Spears and she sold millions of records, but does that make her worth shit? No, her music is horrible, shes an idiot, and if the world was just her kid would be taken far far away from her. Theres a reason Clapton is in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in more then one induction (Cream, solo work, Blind Faith) and that's because he virtually invented the guitar solo and all of modern blues.

And Macho Man wasn't charismatic? Did you watch the same promos I did? Guy was amazing on the mic, much better then Hogan. All Hogan did was talk about vitamins and prayers and say the word Brother alot.

This really is a no brainer for me. Hulk Hogan all the way. The things the man accomplished and the impact he's had on the business is still being felt today. Mainstream name, the first to really crank the merchandise machine that is used today, led the business through two boom periods, played arguably the best face and the best heel in wrestling history, and is still arguably the most well-known name from wrestling (only the Rock has a possible claim).

If I fit Flair into Hogan's spot on the WWF roster, I also don't think the WWF takes a major hit.

Flair took a great legacy of the NWA and carried it on his back, while Hogan was kind of in the right place at the right time.
Ric Flair had his chance to take Hogan's spot on the WWF roster. He failed. His reign as champion proved that even the great Ric Flair could not do in the WWF what Hogan did. And to insinuate that Hogan was "kind of in the right place at the right time" is ludicrous. I'll explain why later.

Nobody on line right now can name one classic match Hogan had or how many guys he's put over or carried in a match (The Ulitimate Warrior?).
Classic matches:
Hogan and Mr. T vs. Piper and Orndorff
Hogan vs. Andre
Hogan vs. Savage
Hogan vs. Warrior
Hogan vs. Slaughter (all of those from Wrestlemanias)
Hogan vs. Sting (Starrcade '97)
Hogan vs. Rock (Wrestlemania 18)

Guys put over:
Ultimate Warrior
Goldberg
Kidman
Rock
Brock
Kurt Angle

Good enough?

Yes Prax people understand that, but I don't think you're getting why people are voting for Flair. Although at first I voted for Hogan as well, I wish I could reverse it to Flair after some thought. Hogan undoubtedly had a huge impact on wrestling in terms of popularity. But you seem to be forgetting wrestling skills. Sure the question isn't who's the better wrestler, it's who's had the biggest impact, and if you think about it Flair undoubtedly had a much larger one on the business as a whole. How you say? By being the best damn wrestler in the history of this biz arguably, directly influencing just about every single major star of the last ten years, and virtually making some of the biggest stars of the 90s by putting them over.
I have to disagree with the bold.

Hulk Hogan is the reason the current business model in America exists. He was the reason that the WWF overtook the NWA, he was the reason that WCW overtook the WWF. He was the leader of TWO boom periods in wrestling.

If Flair's impact had had a larger impact on the business, cartoony gimmicks and storylines would be toned way down, matches would be regularly 20-40 minutes long, and wrestling would still be taped in studios.

There is so many things inaccurate about your post I question why I even bother. Flair, first of all, never made WCW. Flair actually spent very little time in the WCW we think of before Hulk Hogan arrived. Flair made his name in the NWA. Once the WCW broke away, Flair left shortly after and went to the WWF, where he stayed for about a year. Hogan came to WCW a couple years after. WCW wasn't even close to the WWF until Hogan arrived in WCW, and only after Hogan's heel turn at Bash at the Beach and the formation of the NWO did WCW become the major company. Hogan was not in wrestling for the money. Your basing this off of his actions over the last couple of years. The man has been in wrestling since the 1970s and he doesn't need it anymore. Flair, on the other hand, has well known troubles with the IRS, and owes massive amounts of money to the government and ex-wife. Flair is doing it for the money. And, finally, Hulk Hogan has put over plenty of people. And, unlike Flair, a win over Hogan would still mean something these days.
What you say is true to some degree Deus. But Hogan was NOT the only guy who could've thrown the WWF into the national spotlight--Randy Savage ring any bells? The guy had twice the charisma of Hogan and five times the wrestling skill. He easily could've taken Hogan's spot and no one would see any difference.
Then why didn't he? He got his chance, not once but twice to be THE man, but could never get out of Hogan's shadow. I've often said that, if not for drawing/moneymaking, Savage is probably the greatest professional wrestler ever, but to say that he could have stepped in and take Hogan's spot is untrue, because he had his chance twice to do so.

People seem to forget Hogan's negative impact, while Flair has done nothing but elevate and help this business.
So, we're to forget all the great wrestlers that Flair held down, just to win his title 16 times (or whatever it is)? We're to forget that Ric Flair was playing politics LONG before Hogan was? We're to forget that this man literally took the NWA title hostage and then took it to the rival company?

I'm not sure about this supposed Hogan's negative impact, as the only negative impact you can claim is his time in WCW. And the blame for that should go to Eric Bischoff as he's the one who signed talent to creative control contracts. Hulk Hogan was doing just as any other sane employee would do.

Slyfox you seem to be completely forgetting all of the politicking that Hogan did, which is the thing he's famous for among those in the know on the matter. Nobody was more of an asshole and is more of an asshole backstage in the history of this biz then Hulk Hogan. Whether it be demanding outrageous sums of money for a twenty minute TV appearance, using his creative clause in his contract to never lose a match cleanly in his WCW days, or the fact that once he got that spotlight in WCW he held onto it for dear life and absolutely refused to let Bischoff or Russo even think about putting the younger guys like Benoit & Guerrero in the main event.

And to say that Ric Flair had the same chance that Hogan did in his very short WWF wrong is just not true. By the time Flair came in Hogan was already built as the superman mega face for a good seven or eight years---there was no way in hell that anyone was going to be taking that place from him. If Flair had come to the WWF in say, 1983 right before Hulkamania and was given that chance, I think he could've easily carried the company and made it just as good as it is today, albeit most likely in a heel role.

Those matches of Hogan's you listed, while all entertaining and exciting, were not exactly wrestling clinics. Especially Hogan-Andre, the only attraction of that match is story and the feud behind it, just like almost all of Hogan's matches. You can't honestly name a single match that Hogan wrestled in that is a classic in terms of wrestling, that would appear on some "Best Matches Ever" comp. He just hasn't had those kinds of matches since his days in Japan, while Flair was famous for putting on hour long wrestling clinics that would leave both men and the crowd exhausted from all of the great action they just saw.

When I say that Flair had a larger impact on the business as a whole, I didn't just mean in terms of commercial marketability of the WWE. Sure, people know who Hogan is over Flair any day, but when you ask the wrestlers who's the best of all time, they're going to say Flair and not Hogan. What wrestlers have been influenced so much by Hogan that they entered the business? Big Show? John Cena? Woah, what a list of legends there. While Flair was the direct influence for guys like Triple H. In terms of contributions to the SPORT of wrestling, in terms of whos put on more classic matches, Flair wins hands down and very easily.

While in the WWF there were tons of big name stars like Savage, Andre, Warrior, Sgt. Slaughter, and Bob Backlund at the height of Hogan's time, the NWA had only a small handful of even semi-recognizable names. All you really had was Ric Flair and maybe Dusty Rhodes for your star power, and Flair carried that company on his back all through the eighties until they were sold.

He didn't exactly hold the title hostage either, he had put down a 15,000 dollar deposit(I believe thats the sum of money that was requried) to even hold onto the belt, and they refused to pay him back the money when he moved to the WWF. Finally it had to be settled in a lawsuit. If someone owed you 15 grand, odds are you're not going to give them back the only thing you have that can help you get back that 15 grand.

And to say that Flair spent little time in WCW before Hogan showed up isn't exactly true. He went right back to the WCW when he left the WWE in 92/93, and was there until it's last days. If it wasn't for Flair's early matches in WCW, I'm not even sure they would've had the star power to go on.

Overall for me when it comes down to it, yes Hogan had a larger impact on the business in terms of commerciality(if thats a word), but Flair had the much larger impact in terms of wrestling. And for me, thats what its all about. Not how many arenas you sold out or how many people you entertained as Hogan did, but how many matches you can show wrestling fans of this era and make them still say "Holy shit!" without any of today's spotfest matches or chairs or tables. He'd amaze you just on his skills alone.

Slyfox you seem to be completely forgetting all of the politicking that Hogan did, which is the thing he's famous for among those in the know on the matter. Nobody was more of an asshole and is more of an asshole backstage in the history of this biz then Hulk Hogan. Whether it be demanding outrageous sums of money for a twenty minute TV appearance, using his creative clause in his contract to never lose a match cleanly in his WCW days, or the fact that once he got that spotlight in WCW he held onto it for dear life and absolutely refused to let Bischoff or Russo even think about putting the younger guys like Benoit & Guerrero in the main event.
I'm not forgetting the politicking he did, but so did Ric Flair. And, Hogan was given that right in WCW by Eric Bischoff. Now, how many people are willing to damage their credibility and ability to make big money, when they have the power not to? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Hogan because he was doing what was right for him and his family. And, I don't blame Flair for doing the same. The point is that you can't decide for either one, because they both did it, and did it hardcore.

And to say that Ric Flair had the same chance that Hogan did in his very short WWF wrong is just not true. By the time Flair came in Hogan was already built as the superman mega face for a good seven or eight years---there was no way in hell that anyone was going to be taking that place from him. If Flair had come to the WWF in say, 1983 right before Hulkamania and was given that chance, I think he could've easily carried the company and made it just as good as it is today, albeit most likely in a heel role.
But, why not? Why could Ric Flair not have done what he did in the NWA? It's not like Flair was a super babyface. If it was Sting we were discussing instead of Flair, I might agree with you. But Flair was the ultimate heel, not the ultimate face. There should have been no reason that he could not have come in and been big, like he was in the NWA. The reason he didn't, was because he could never get the fans to buy into his style, and he could never change or adapt his style. I mean, the guy uses the same style now that he did back in the 80s, and carries many of the same spots.

Those matches of Hogan's you listed, while all entertaining and exciting, were not exactly wrestling clinics. Especially Hogan-Andre, the only attraction of that match is story and the feud behind it, just like almost all of Hogan's matches. You can't honestly name a single match that Hogan wrestled in that is a classic in terms of wrestling, that would appear on some "Best Matches Ever" comp. He just hasn't had those kinds of matches since his days in Japan, while Flair was famous for putting on hour long wrestling clinics that would leave both men and the crowd exhausted from all of the great action they just saw.
Well, ok, you're talking about something different. You're not talking classic matches, you're talking about 5 star match candidates. The two are different.

But, no, Hogan probably never had a 5 star match in the United States. But, he did have classic matches. And personally, I would take Hogan vs. Rock over just about any Flair match I've ever seen (with Savage vs. Flair from WM8 coming close). But, there are more things that make a great professional wrestler than having a couple of five star matches.

When I say that Flair had a larger impact on the business as a whole, I didn't just mean in terms of commercial marketability of the WWE. Sure, people know who Hogan is over Flair any day, but when you ask the wrestlers who's the best of all time, they're going to say Flair and not Hogan. What wrestlers have been influenced so much by Hogan that they entered the business? Big Show? John Cena? Woah, what a list of legends there. While Flair was the direct influence for guys like Triple H. In terms of contributions to the SPORT of wrestling, in terms of whos put on more classic matches, Flair wins hands down and very easily.
Wait...are you trying to tell me that Hulk Hogan was not responsible for some of today's current crop of wrestlers? Seriously?

And, by the time John Cena retires, or even gets to Triple H's age...he will be as big of a legend, if not bigger, than Triple H is now. It is very ironic that you mention Triple H and Cena in the same thought. Because they are VERY similar in the way they are booked and tried to make credible. And, really, very similar in terms of how the crowd receives them. VERY similar.

While in the WWF there were tons of big name stars like Savage, Andre, Warrior, Sgt. Slaughter, and Bob Backlund at the height of Hogan's time, the NWA had only a small handful of even semi-recognizable names. All you really had was Ric Flair and maybe Dusty Rhodes for your star power, and Flair carried that company on his back all through the eighties until they were sold.
But, the NWA was inferior to the WWF by 1984 or 1985. And, Flair was only part of what carried the NWA. The Four Horsemen helped carry the NWA, as well as Rhodes.

He didn't exactly hold the title hostage either, he had put down a 15,000 dollar deposit(I believe thats the sum of money that was requried) to even hold onto the belt, and they refused to pay him back the money when he moved to the WWF. Finally it had to be settled in a lawsuit. If someone owed you 15 grand, odds are you're not going to give them back the only thing you have that can help you get back that 15 grand.
Actually, this is only part true. The NWA was wanting Flair to take a pay cut and drop some of the power he had, particularly his power of booking. I have even heard that they wanted him to change his appearance some. Flair flat out refused and he was fired. Thus, the belt was nothing more than a pawn in a fight between two headstrong people, both of whom thought they were right. And, I believe the actual amount for deposit was $25,000.

And to say that Flair spent little time in WCW before Hogan showed up isn't exactly true. He went right back to the WCW when he left the WWE in 92/93, and was there until it's last days. If it wasn't for Flair's early matches in WCW, I'm not even sure they would've had the star power to go on.
Flair came back to the WCW in February 1993 and Hogan was signed in June 1994. So, there was one year. Also, WCW didn't exactly take off with the return of Hulk Hogan. It wasn't until the Hogan heel turn and the NWO that WCW became the big company in America. Hogan was the reason WCW was big.

Overall for me when it comes down to it, yes Hogan had a larger impact on the business in terms of commerciality(if thats a word)
If it wasn't a word before, it is now! :D
Flair had the much larger impact in terms of wrestling. And for me, thats what its all about. Not how many arenas you sold out or how many people you entertained as Hogan did, but how many matches you can show wrestling fans of this era and make them still say "Holy shit!" without any of today's spotfest matches or chairs or tables. He'd amaze you just on his skills alone.
First, I'm not sold on Flair's "great" wrestling ability. I think it was more the great abilities of guys like Rhodes and Steamboat and Funk that made those matches great. They were the ones that adapted to the Flair style of match. When you watch those guys wrestle, generally they had a variety of styles they used, depending on the opponent. For the most part, Flair worked the same style of match, the same style he uses today.

I also think Bret Hart details Flair's abilities VERY well on his website. I'd link the page I'm referring to, but not sure if it's allowed??

And, explain to me how Flair's wrestling impacted the business. Don't get me names who were inspired, give me people who have taken what Flair did in matches and made it their own.

But you have to admit that Hogan did FAR more politicking in his career then Flair ever did. I've yet to read a single report of Flair being an asshole backstage and thinking he's above people---infact he's taken on the role of the mentor to the young wrestlers. He jobs, he trains, he works long series of matches with young guys to show them the ropes (ie Carlito). Hogan never did anything like that. He bitched and bitched and bitched until he got his way, and in the chance where he HAD to lose a match or he'd end up fired or close to it, he always did it begrudgingly and like the grade A asshole he is. The man cares NOTHING about the business of wrestling. All he cares about is money. And while I can support your statement that the man was only trying to feed his family, by the time he came to the WCW he was already a millionaire many times over, so that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. It's not like his family was living in a single room apartment---no they had two huge houses and four door garages with perfect lawns. He wasn't fighting to feed his family, he was fighting to feed his ego.

He still thinks that he's the biggest shit in wrestling. While that could be true ten, twenty years ago, he is not the top dog in wrestling anymore. He hasn't been since he left WCW in 2000. His spot was taken by guys like HHH, Rock, Austin, Brock Lesnar, Edge, and Cena. So when he comes into the WWE for a little one month stretch of time and demands to be paid more then half of the entire rosters annual salary combined, to do ONE match, maybe at most TWO, that's just wrong. He does NOT deserve it. I'm not even going to get into his mediocre wrestling skills. The man seriously has been nothing but an asshole and he just oozes egomaniacism. He honestly thinks that he single handedly created wrestling, and that's bullshit.

About Flair taking Hogan's spot, once again, there was no CHANCE of him even being able to ATTEMPT to get into that spot---Hogan was already the man for five or six years by that time. If it were the early eighties, then I'd give it to you, but we can't debate over something that could've happened but didn't, because we never will know what could've happened. And Flair was not strictly a heel, I suggest you watch the old NWA tapes. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand at all times, and if he wanted them to cheer for him, they usually did. When he wanted them to boo him, he did that as well.

And, not to be disrespectful, but even comparing Cena to Triple H is pure nonsense. Triple H pretty much carried the entire company after Austin and Taker left in the fall of 99. Triple H put on one of the greatest feuds of all time in his with the Rock. He put on some of the best matches of any promotion, ever. And he did it consistently, without help from better opponents and without help from gimmicked matches. There is not a chance in HELL that Cena will be remembered as a "legend". He will be remembered as a many time champ for sure, but legend? That's pushing it way too far. DDP is a several time world champ, but I hardly think anyone would call him a legend, and he was just as popular if not more so with the fans then Cena has ever been.

And the NWA was NOT inferior the the WWF in 84/85, it was actually the other way around. WWF didn't start becoming the big dog until Wrestlemania, and thats a fact. NWA sold out WAY more arenas with WAY more people in 84 and most of 85 then the WWF ever could've. NWA was still hot as all hell at that time, the hottest it had ever been infact, with guys like Flair, the Andersons, Magnum TA, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, the Volkoffs, Terry Taylor, Barry Windham, the Graham family, the Von Erichs, Jake the Snake, King Kong Bundy. It was about as hot as it could get man.

About the belt incident, WCW wanted Flair to shave his head, wear a diamond earring, go under the ring name "Spartacus", be on the midcard, take away his booking privelages, and pretty much bury him completely all the while he was still one of the biggest draws in the business. Of course Flair said no! That would've been career suicide! Further more after he was fired, they refused to give him the 25 grand (you were right on that one) that he had put down on the title! Flat out REFUSED! Not to mention the design of the belt and the physical belt itself were OWNED BY FLAIR! The design and everything was created specifically for the man. Of course the NWA still owned the name rights, but the actual belt was Flairs. How can you honestly lay any blame on Flair at all after what they were going to do to his career? After he was fired and they refused to pay him! I could understand if he walked out, that would be a just reason for them to refuse to give back his deposit, but they fired his ass and they should've paid him the money they owed him.

And just like in the Cena threads, I don't think you can blame WCW's rise on Hulk Hogan. If anything it was Scott Hall and Kevin Nash that did it, thats what drew in the ratings. It was the controversy that Eric Bischoff routinely surrounded his product with, whether it be announcing RAW results minutes before it went on air or throwing one of the WWF titles in a trash can. Bischoff is the one to give credit to for WCW's rise, not Hogan.

If you're not sold on Flair's wrestling ability, I STRONGLY suggest that you check out the following matches:

Ric Flair vs. Harley Race --- Starrcade 1983
Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger --- Great American Bash 1988
Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger --- Starrcade 1988
Ric Flair vs. Sting --- Clash of the Champions I
Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat --- Clash of the Champions VI
Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat --- Chi-Town Rumble 1989
Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat --- WrestleWar 1989
Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk --- Great American Bash 1989
Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk --- Clash of the Champions IX

Those are just some of the classics Flair has helped produce. And trust me, Flair's style has changed DRAMATICALLY since those days to know---he's far too old now. All you'll ever see him do these days are chops and the figure four---back then, he could do it all; brawl, amateur, technician, freestyle, anything.

Flair's impact on the business? Well first of all he MADE the careers of guys like Sting and Lex Luger with their series of matches and his jobbing to them. Second of all his matches alone have impacted the business tremendously---look no further then the creation of the Iron Man match to try and capture the feeling of the hour long battles that Steamboat and Flair would routinely put on. Not to mention all of the wrestlers inspired, and yes I know you said not to say that. But you take all that together and then you ask yourself: How has Hogan impaced the business? Don't give me numbers of arenas he sold out or kids who were his fans or his merch; who, in the WRESTLING business, did he inspire? Virtually no one.

Hogan never did anything like that. He bitched and bitched and bitched until he got his way, and in the chance where he HAD to lose a match or he'd end up fired or close to it, he always did it begrudgingly and like the grade A asshole he is. The man cares NOTHING about the business of wrestling.
I'm pretty certain that Hogan was the one who suggested that he job to Goldberg. He was against laying down for Warrior, and looking back on it, was he wrong for thinking so? Should Hogan have to lose to a Billy Kidman or a Randy Orton? No, of course not. While I respect what a guy like Foley and Flair do in jobbing to the next stars, it's gotten now where they do it so often, it doesn't mean anything. Beating Flair or Foley is no better than beating anyone else anymore. But beating Hulk Hogan? That is still an exclusive club. And it'll mean more when someone does it. Which is why I think Wrestlemania 24 should be Hulk Hogan vs. John Cena.

I can get you a trash can if you feel as if you're going to vomit ;-).

So when he comes into the WWE for a little one month stretch of time and demands to be paid more then half of the entire rosters annual salary combined, to do ONE match, maybe at most TWO, that's just wrong. He does NOT deserve it.
I agree, he doesn't deserve it. But, if he can ask for it, and Vince is willing to pay for it, why shouldn't he? Why shouldn't Roger Clemens ask for a prorated salary of 28 million dollars without having to travel to away games, if he can get it? If you can do it, why not? If Vince pays him, then it's Vince's fault. Hulk Hogan has given more to the wrestling business and wrestling fans than 99% of the wrestlers before or since. He doesn't "owe it to the fans" to come back anymore.

And, not to be disrespectful, but even comparing Cena to Triple H is pure nonsense. Triple H pretty much carried the entire company after Austin and Taker left in the fall of 99. Triple H put on one of the greatest feuds of all time in his with the Rock. He put on some of the best matches of any promotion, ever. And he did it consistently, without help from better opponents and without help from gimmicked matches. There is not a chance in HELL that Cena will be remembered as a "legend". He will be remembered as a many time champ for sure, but legend? That's pushing it way too far. DDP is a several time world champ, but I hardly think anyone would call him a legend, and he was just as popular if not more so with the fans then Cena has ever been.
You must have missed the IWC Triple H bashing that ran rampant across the Internet some years back. Everything that is happening to Cena now, is eerily similar to what Triple H had to go through. It may have been a different kind of bashing, but a lot of it was basically the same ("never loses, isn't rock or austin, only gets pushed because of certain qualities, etc.). If he doesn't leave the business, and keeps working like he does, he will be a legend some day. I truly believe that. And, after Cena is gone, people will fondly think back on the good old days of Cena, and HHH, and HBK and Taker, and Benoit etc. And, Cena will definitely be apart of that.

And the NWA was NOT inferior the the WWF in 84/85, it was actually the other way around. WWF didn't start becoming the big dog until Wrestlemania, and thats a fact. NWA sold out WAY more arenas with WAY more people in 84 and most of 85 then the WWF ever could've. NWA was still hot as all hell at that time, the hottest it had ever been infact, with guys like Flair, the Andersons, Magnum TA, Tully Blanchard, Dusty Rhodes, the Volkoffs, Terry Taylor, Barry Windham, the Graham family, the Von Erichs, Jake the Snake, King Kong Bundy. It was about as hot as it could get man.
Wrestlemania was March 31, 1985. Hogan came back in Jan 1984. So, in the one and a half years that Hulk Hogan became the top guy in the WWF, it overtook the NWA.

So, Flair carrying the NWA on his back, with guys like the Andersons, Magnum, Blanchard, Rhodes, Volkoffs, Taylor, Windham, Graham family, Von Erichs, Roberts etc. all of which were "hot as hell at that time", still wasn't good enough to hold down Hulk Hogan and the WWF.

How can you honestly lay any blame on Flair at all after what they were going to do to his career?
What they were wanting Flair to do was stupid, but it doesn't change the fact that he told his bosses no. He was not the one who was paid to make those decisions, he was paid to follow them. So, while I don't blame Flair for leaving, the fact is he violated his contract, and thus, I'm sure, probably forfeited his deposit legally on the belt. Now, that last part is speculation, but I assume thats how the NWA saw it.

And just like in the Cena threads, I don't think you can blame WCW's rise on Hulk Hogan. If anything it was Scott Hall and Kevin Nash that did it, thats what drew in the ratings. It was the controversy that Eric Bischoff routinely surrounded his product with, whether it be announcing RAW results minutes before it went on air or throwing one of the WWF titles in a trash can. Bischoff is the one to give credit to for WCW's rise, not Hogan.
The NWO is what gave way to WCW's rise. Personally, I think the NWO was a stroke of genius, even if it was an idea that was borrowed from Japan and even if it was something so simple a child could have come up with. I'm just not sure that the NWO would have ever had the staying power if it had not been Hogan. While Nash and Hall were getting cheered and the NWO was popular, Hulk Hogan himself was still getting the hell booed out of him and getting stuff thrown at him. I'm not sure if the NWO could have lasted near as long as it did without Hogan at the helm.

Don't give me numbers of arenas he sold out or kids who were his fans or his merch; who, in the WRESTLING business, did he inspire? Virtually no one.
I remember having read about plenty of people Hogan's inspired. I don't remember who they are at the moment, but I'll look around.

Well, apparently Jon Demento was inspired by Hulk Hogan, but I don't believe that kind of a wrestler is who you were looking...I'll keep looking haha.

Actually, I just thought of one. Didn't Edge say he was inspired by Hulk Hogan?

Just a quick note on the belt business, Flair never walked out man. He said "No, I don't want to be buried in this company because the new booker hates me even though I'm still selling out arenas single handedly." and they FIRED him. He never walked out on them, he never left them. He was fired. And when you're fired what do you do? Look for work---hello WWF!

They had no legal right to the cash or the belt, and thats why when it was brought to court Flair got his 25 grand back, plus 13 grand in interest.

Just a quick note on the belt business, Flair never walked out man. He said "No, I don't want to be buried in this company because the new booker hates me even though I'm still selling out arenas single handedly." and they FIRED him. He never walked out on them, he never left them. He was fired. And when you're fired what do you do? Look for work---hello WWF!

They had no legal right to the cash or the belt, and thats why when it was brought to court Flair got his 25 grand back, plus 13 grand in interest.
OK, same difference really. Flair told his bosses no, and they fired him. Thus, in the NWA's eyes, he violated his contract and thus legally forfeited the deposit.

And, didn't Edge say that he was inspired by Hulk Hogan?

In terms of entertainment Hulk Hogan made the bigger impact. But in terms of quality wrestling matches that will last in memory, Ric Flair is the man. Like the response before me Flair actually gave the opportunity to up and comers to learn the business and become legends themselves in the future (Sting,Lex Luger,Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Arn Anderson,Randy Orton,etc.)Flair had quality feuds and quality alliances. I must admit I was a huge Hulkamanic as a kid but as I got older I have noticed Hogan's matches were not that great. One match in particular really stuck out to me was the Summerslam match vs Shawn Michaels and how Shawn carried Hogan and put him over. I don't recall seeing that with Flair. With all the injuries they both have indured over the years Flair still has a lot of go with him. Flair has my vote. I can still hear the WOOOOOO's in the areas before and after the event even if Flair is not on the card or roster.

I want to comment on the Summerslam match with Shawn Michaels. HBK ruined that match. His dickish over-selling was completely ridiculous, and ruined what should have been an epic encounter, even before the match really got going. It was one of the few instances where HBK's immaturity of yesteryear shone through again. Generally I'll defend HBK and his growing up over the years, but that was ridiculous.

Completely unprofessional, and robbed the fans of what could have been an epic encounter, simply because he was more concerned about himself.

I have failed to mention Vince had all ready had the WWF ready to go as far as he could take it before Hogan came on board. What attracted Hogan to Vince was his size.Vince loves big men.( No Homo) Vince gave Hogan the tools and he was smart enough to run with it. Hogan forgets that today. Flair was a big name without the millions of advertisements and movies. Flair is a well rounded performer in ring, Hogan is a well rounded image. Hogan's look made him larger than life. His image is copied in video games & cartoons. People favor his image because it's strong and heroic. But like his matches his true ability is weak. I'm not sure if anyone notices that Hercule from Dragon ball Z is sort of based on Hulk Hogan.

Watching that Summerslam match in person was completely different than seeing it on PPV. Michaels over-selling was to make Hogan look far more greater than he really was. Hogan's movements were far more slow than an elephant's thrust doing intercourse. I was extremely disappointed in the match up. It looked good on paper but not in the ring. That night John Cena outshined the Hulkster.But that was due to Chris Jericho's in ring genius and that's a different story.

I want to comment on the Summerslam match with Shawn Michaels. HBK ruined that match. His dickish over-selling was completely ridiculous, and ruined what should have been an epic encounter, even before the match really got going. It was one of the few instances where HBK's immaturity of yesteryear shone through again. Generally I'll defend HBK and his growing up over the years, but that was ridiculous.

Completely unprofessional, and robbed the fans of what could have been an epic encounter, simply because he was more concerned about himself.

Hogan deserved no less in that match. HBK is famous for his overselling, and sure it was a bit more in that match, but Hogan fuckin' deserved it. He came in and did his usual politicking, asking for millions to do a single match, while every single person at home, at the event, and everywhere on earth wanted and was expecting Hogan to put over HBK. (Okay thats an exagerration but trust me almost everyone wanted and thought that HBK would win)

I bought that DVD blindly when I started watching wrestling again after a long hiatus because the match up sounded golden, Hogan vs. Michaels? Where could you go wrong? Then I watched it and Hogan did his usual thing, knocking out the greatest wrestler of all time with the old boot and leg drop.

HBK didn't ruin that match. Hogan did. For every action, there is a reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back