Pick Your Poison: Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair

Pick Your Poison: Hogan or Flair

• Hulk Hogan

• Ric Flair

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd have to go with Hogan here, while in no way shape of form taking anything away from Flair. Flair is an absolute god in the ring and especially in the Carolinas. He could do anything he wanted there and would still be seen as the greatest of all time. Outside of that part of the country though, while still huge, he never seemed to be as great as he was back in the South. Hogan on the other hand, seemed to be just as popular no matter where he went. Hulkamania was a national phenomenon, and Hogan could sell out the place anywhere he went. Also, during his initial WWF run, Flair did win the WWF title, but Hogan was still the top draw. It was Hogan in the final match at Wrestlemania 8, not the title match. When Hogan came to WCW, he took the promotion over from Flair. I'll give the debate to Hogan, but I could watch Flair all day and all night.

but if it wasn't for the NWA, there would be no WWE, and Hulk Hogan wouldn't be this megastar!
What the nwa gave birth to (wwf/wcw/hogan) put wrestling on the map, not the nwa itself. And that's if the nwa was the sole reason for there existence as you claim.

And he was booed in the Carolinas because that was one area where he didn't have a fan base
That was an area where he had a hate base. In order to have a hate base you have to make an impact.

Maybe non-wrestling fans don't know what the NWA is
That’s the whole point. In order to be on the map even non-wrestling fans have to know of your existence. 99.99% of all non-fans have heard of the wwe and know it's wrestling.

You people are so f*ucking ignorant and stupid! And might I add young and wet behind the ears! Maybe non-wrestling fans don't know what the NWA is, and maybe it didn't make you becaome a wrestling fan, but if it wasn't for the NWA, there would be no WWE, and Hulk Hogan wouldn't be this megastar!

And he was booed in the Carolinas because that was one area where he didn't have a fan base, you fool!

Another big flaw in your argument (other than the ones the other two posters pointed out) is that Hogan had been to some of those other territores in the NWA. He was getting the biggest ovations yet was never pushed to the top because "he couldn't wrestle." So he leaves because promoters wouldn't give him the title. Then he goes to Vince McMahon, who makes him champ, and they run all these territories out of business.

The NWA may have had some big moments, but Hulkamania wasn't a vision of it. Hulkamania was made by Hogan and Vince in the WWF, something the NWA promoters had but were too stupid to see.

Another big flaw in your argument (other than the ones the other two posters pointed out) is that Hogan had been to some of those other territores in the NWA. He was getting the biggest ovations yet was never pushed to the top because "he couldn't wrestle." So he leaves because promoters wouldn't give him the title. Then he goes to Vince McMahon, who makes him champ, and they run all these territories out of business.

The NWA may have had some big moments, but Hulkamania wasn't a vision of it. Hulkamania was made by Hogan and Vince in the WWF, something the NWA promoters had but were too stupid to see.

Not to mention, the NWA never really was able to push the big tall heroic looking face. The plans were to try to do so with David Von Erich as well as Magnum TA, but does to circumstances outside with control, these plans obviously fell through. The NWA never had that one big face taht they could market naturally, and that was their downfall. Flair is an amazing worker, and a great talent, but he lacked the overwhelming face charisma that Hogan had. Flair was a better heel in his era, but it's hard to build a national company around a heel.

Naitch all the way.

Hogan was a name with a very limited arsenal. He did make wrestling popular, he made people watch wrestling, but Flair was the guy who WRESTLED with a decent arsenal and made the people want to watch it again and again.

Essentially, Hogan was the Celebrity leaflet distributor, and Flair was the Star attraction.

Naitch all the way.

Hogan was a name with a very limited arsenal. He did make wrestling popular, he made people watch wrestling, but Flair was the guy who WRESTLED with a decent arsenal and made the people want to watch it again and again.

Essentially, Hogan was the Celebrity leaflet distributor, and Flair was the Star attraction.

Note to everyone who voted for Flair because HE WRESTLED better- Who cares? Seriously, Hulk Hogan doing a five minute promo drew more ratings than Ric Flair wrestling WCW's top names. What does that say about Flair? More importantly about Hogan.

I don't see what you are getting at anyway. Hogan made wrestling popular, made people watch, yet Flair was the star attraction. That makes no sense what so ever. You said yourself Hogan got people to watch, that would make him the attraction. I've seen some big reaches for Flair arguments and they keep getting worse.

Slim as the title of the thread says pick YOUR poison..i'm picking flair he was a wrestler and "who cares if fair was a better wrestler" i do...don't get me wrong hogan did have alot to do wrestling going mainstream and being that iconic figure that most young fans can't fathom but for me flair was a better wrestler..by the way i wrestled from middle school all the way to college so i'm more of wrestling fan as opposed to entertainment such as promo etc. Like i said i respect hogan for he did as far as bringing wrestling mainstream but you can't change people opinion and looking at your sigs and avatar you're biased i mean i haven't read a single post this thread where you actually give flair any credit for his illustrious career..so again..i'm going w/flair

Dude. I didnt post it for you to get touchy and criticize my every word.

You seriously think Hogan is THAT popular, that he could do a 2 Hour Wrestling show by himself, and people would watch it week in week out, all night?

Hogan was good for 5 or 10 Mins in promo's, and a 10 Minute match in a 2 Hour episode, but when you actually wanted to watch some wrestling, you saw guys like Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Curt Hennig, Sting, all wrestling for their spot, instead of having it handed to them.

Even Hulk Hogan couldnt stop the downward spiral that was WCW. The WWF dominated thereafter WITHOUT Hulkamania.

So he contributed so much to the sport. So Ill state again, what about the guys who MADE the sport for him to take Mainstream?

More to the point, what about the guys that actually gave Hogan his spot in Wrestling?
Without any of these people, including Mike Graham and Vince McMahon, Hogan would have continued playing Bass in his little band, making $50 a night every now and again in a "Battle of the bands" comp.

Before you go on about Hogan being the greatest or whatever, dont count out the people that actually gave him the tools to make such a well oiled machine, BROTHER!

Slim as the title of the thread says pick YOUR poison..i'm picking flair he was a wrestler and "who cares if fair was a better wrestler" i do...don't get me wrong hogan did have alot to do wrestling going mainstream and being that iconic figure that most young fans can't fathom but for me flair was a better wrestler..by the way i wrestled from middle school all the way to college so i'm more of wrestling fan as opposed to entertainment such as promo etc. Like i said i respect hogan for he did as far as bringing wrestling mainstream but you can't change people opinion and looking at your sigs and avatar you're biased i mean i haven't read a single post this thread where you actually give flair any credit for his illustrious career..so again..i'm going w/flair

I agree with every word of that.

A Response To SlyFox...
Quote:
the reason he got the last match was because Hogan was teasing retirement due to the federal investigation into steroids in WWE. McMahon was sending everyone away including Hogan and Piper.
Source?
The national steroid indictment and subsequent trial were heavily covered in the mainstream media. I read newspapers, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette covered the story and stated as much in separate related articles in 1993-94.

Quote:
Hogan did the same thing at SummerSlam 2006 when he asked that his "legend vs Legend Killer" Match with Randy Orton be bumped to the mid card because he did not think his match would be preceived well if he followed Flair/Foley or the DX/McMahon cage match.
Source?
This website reported this - If you disagree talk to the webmasters

[U]Quote:
He knew his limitations and played to them. That makes him smart but not a great wrestler.
Source? You doubt this statement ? The wrestling world is full of articles and books from everyone and their mother that echo this sentiment, Hogan was a great markter of himself
[/U]

You make all these statements, but mostly you are talking out of your ass.
[/I] I love how your responses include personal insults. Obviously you've never read a magazine in your life or done one single tidbit of research into your talking points smart guy...read on. Idecided to address you the same wayyou address other posters here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairFan2003 View Post
Flair was a huge draw. For most of the 1980's WWF shows were consistently outdrawn by NWA shows headlined by Flair in the Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and The Virginias. Even with McMahon's promotional machine and Hogan on the card WWE shows did not compete with the NWA in those areas.

OOOOH.

Skyfox Resposne:The NWA, which used Ric Flair to work matches against the regional top draw, outdid the WWF in 7 out of 48 states. Well, maybe we should re-think this here.

Hell, Ric Flair was the biggest draw in the NWA. Nobody is denying that. But being the biggest draw in the NWA is like being the biggest draw in ROH right now. Still doesn't mean anything. And when you figure that Ric Flair never worked consistently on a national scale, or in one place, AND was always wrestling a promotion's top draw, I think it kind of makes sense that he would be the big NWA draw. I mean, he got to face every promotions best draw.

Wow, seven out of 48 states - hey smart guy, when did WWE start running shows nationwide, they didn't have a consistent nationwide touring schedule until the late 80's, well into Hulkamania. NWA shows draw as well if not better than they did for most of the decade in the Carolinas, Georgia, VA, WV, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, pretty much everything under the mason dixon line. Maybe if you read a book about the wrestling business you would know the specifics of the national expansion and attendance figures. Maybe you should visit a bookstore and learn to read.

As for the ROH comment, that's ridiculous, according to WWE releases in 2003 Flair regularly defended the NWA title in 28 states, Canada, South America, Japan, and parts of Asia as well as less frequent trips to New York and New Jersey (WWE backyard). This was from WWE, like that source!!!
Quote:

FlairFan:Second, the highest rated wrestling show on TV for most of the 1980's was was WCW Sat Night on TBS, far out distancing Hogan and company on USA network. Hogan and Andre did do a major rating for their Friday Night Prime Time re-Match but subsequent WWE prime time ventures failed even with Hogan on the card.
SkyFoxx:Not a single WCW Sat Night came close to competing with Saturday Night Main Event. Of which, Hogan was on the majority of those.

Hmmmm...maybe you should check Pro Wrestling Illustrated's TV reports from the the 1980's, they stated pretty clearly that SAT Nite wrestling on TBS was the highest rated weekly wrestling show in the mid to late 1980's (with Flair the centerpiece almost every week). They also compared the ratings periodically to Sat Nite Main Event on NBC and they were often equal or slightly higher.

Quote:
Third, Hogan gets a lot of credit for the WWE expansion in the 1980's that he does not deserve.
SkyFoxx:You're kidding me with this right? Hulk Hogan WAS wrestling in the 1980s. I mean, not just the WWF, WRESTLING. Hulk Hogan was as synonymous with wrestling in the 1980s and Kleenex is to tissue wipes.
So you're saying that McMahon had nothing to do with WWE expansion, hmmmm, I bet alot of ppl agree with that lunacy

Quote:
Hogan rarely wrestled more than 6 or 8 shows per month once he became big even though WWE ran house shows at least 6 days per week, plus filmed more than 6 hrs of TV each week (syndication, USA, WWOR).
SlyFox: Could you explain what years you are referring to when you say "became big"?
Yeah, try 1984-1990, again read a book. Were you even alive then, what were you, 3 yrs old ?

Quote:
Hogan was an infrequent guest on TV, usually for interviews only
SlyFox: And was the only wrestler to do so in front of a national audience.

How odd, Flair was on Good Morning America in the 80's and Savage did lots of national press, including guest stints on Arsenio Hall and Tonite Show. I watched these because unlike you I'm old enough to actually know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
and was not a factor in house shows.
SlyFox:His name brought recognition to the WWF. You hear WWF, you think Hulk Hogan, you think greatness. That translates into ticket sales.
Yeah, and when WWE does significant house show business with 24 shows per month, 18 of them without Hogan, I guess all those ppl bought tickets because Hogan wasn't there. Sorry, but you don't buy tickets to an event to see ppl WHO ARE NOT COMING....this may have been your weakest response yet.

Quote:
Flair on the other hand was on TV and doing house shows 5-6 times per week. WWE had a great promotional approach courtesy of Vince McMahon that enabled them to be make superstars and be popular even though Hogan was not not around that much. Flair on the other hand was the most visible main event star during the NWA's heyday early to mid 80's and appeared on virtually all of their TV programing weekly.
SlyFox: Their programming was regional programming. WCW Sat Night did not feature Flair regularly until the late 80s if I'm not mistaken. And tell me, once Flair was on TV to a wider audience consistently, what happened to him? His drawing power decreased, fans got tired of him, and he wasn't as effective. Go figure.
Well you're wrong...WCW SAT Nite was built around Flair from 1983 on. I started watching in 1985 because Hogan BORED ME TO TEARS but I'm sure an astute person like you probably has loads of info on the subject. Flair vs the Russians was the centerpiece of their summer 85 programming, replaced by Flair breaking Rhodes leg leading to Starrcade. Flair's Great American Bash Challenge from 1986 thoroughly dominated programming, as did Nikita Kolloff's face turn and subsequent challenge to Flair that fall. 1987 programming was built around Flair's feuds with Barry Windham and the Garvins and his possible retirement if he could not regain the title. 1988 programming tilted heavily around Flair Sting and Flair/Luger, more than any other matches. 1989 was all about Flair/Steamboat, Flair's broken neck, Flair/Funk, and at the end of year Flair/Luger and Flair's recruitment of Sting into the Horsemen. And TV ratings for this NATIONALLY BROADCAST PROGRAM increased almost every year, with a major spike in 1989.

SkyFox:Then he went to the WWF in late '91. How well did he do there? Was he a big draw? Or did he flop? Yeah, I'm going with a flop. WWF was a nationally broadcasted program. Are you starting to see the similarities?
Not quite, Hogan-Flair matches did well for WWE as did Flair-Savage. The real business decline started with the New Generation and Brett Hart as WWE went thru growing pains trying to promote new talent. I can tell you here in Pgh in 1992 WWE shows in Jan & June without Flair drew less than 7,000 and shows in Nov 1991 and Feb 92 drew 11,500 and 13,000 respectively. I know because I was here and the Post Gazette mentioned the attendance figures in a 1993 article related to the steroids indictment.

Quote:
Fourth, Hogan rarely wrestled during the NWO heyday either, even less than he did during his Hulkamania days a decade earlier. In 1998, WCW did PPV events every month. How many times did Hogan wrestle, maybe 4 ? He faced Jay Leno, particiapted in a War Games, fought Ultimate Warrior, and had a re-match with Sting. WCW did big business all year with Hogan basically participating in about a third of their shows. Kevin Nash was the public face of the NWO and he and Scott Hall did the bulk of the matches against the WCW roster along with Savage. In 1997, WCW's biggest year during the NWO storyline, how many time did Hogan wrestle on TV ? Did ever wrestle on TV that year ? The only time I remember him actually wrestling on Nitro in 97 was when he lost to Lex Luger that year.
SkyFox: Well, duh? Why would you have your biggest draw wrestle on free TV, when you want to get fans to pay for it? That's stupid. But, was Hogan not on the majority of Nitros, both in 96 and 97? Umm, yeah. Was he their biggest draw? Umm, yeah. Hmmm...so WWE was successful in the Monday Night War because The Rock, Steve Austin, and Shawn Micheals rarely wrestled on TV and often didn't appear at all., is that your argument ? I guess it must have been all those Marc Mero and GoldDust matches that helped elevate WWE in 1998-99, certainly by your logic you wouldn't even put ppl the fans want to see on your programs.

SkyFox: Now, let's go through the PPVs. Did he wrestle on 5 of the last 6 PPVs of 1996? Umm, yeah. Was his match the big draw? Umm, yeah. Was the WCW title considered the most important thing in wrestling? Umm, yeah.

On to 1997. Did he appear in the first 3 PPVs of the year? Umm, yeah. Did he still appear on 8 PPVs that year? Umm, yeah. Was his feud with Sting the biggest drawing angle of the 1990s to that point? Umm, yeah. Yeah, and what were the buyrates...didn'tJan 97 NWO Souled Out PPV tank, it certainly didn't do as well as Jan 98 Souled Out PPV with featured Flair/Hart and Svagae/Luger as the headline matches - maybe you should check the multitude of websites and books that list PV buyrates from this time.

Skyfoxx:On to 1998. Did he appear in 8 of the first 10 PPVs of the year? Umm, yeah. Was his feud with Sting driving Nitro for the first two months of the year? Umm, yeah. Was his celebrity matches not the focus of WCW in 98? Umm, yeah. Look how good that did for business, WCW business declined steadily throughout 1998, again check any of a number of books and websites that chronical this stuff. The only real uptick in business came in the fall leading to Starrcade when FLAIR was the headliner with his fued with Bischoff, Goldberg and Nash was the World Title match everyone was waiting for, and Hogan disappeared after Oct.

Skyfoxx:So, basically, what we've determined is that you're just making stuff up to suit your case.
Actually, it looks like you're the one who makes stuff up. Maybe you should read once in awhile.

Quote:
When business started to decline after the spring of 99 Hogan did wrestle on TV more often, although it didn't generate the numbers he would have liked. Nitro won the ratings 83 consecutive weeks and Hogan probably wrestled on maybe a tenth of those shows. Certainly he was not a factor in WCW's PPV growth during that time since he only appeared in about a fourth of those. I wonder how may RAW PPV's will be held this year with a healthy HHH and John Cena just chosing not to wrestle ?

Skyfoxx: I love how you make up information, just so you can make a case. I've already shown how he wrestled on most of the PPVs. And I've already explained why you don't have your champion wrestle on free TV. However, was Hogan not on TV most of the time? Of course he was. Was he not the big draw to WCW? Of course he was. Hmmm, I was watching WCW in 1998 and I don't remember Hogan wrestling on every PPV, I do remember Nash, Sting, and Goldberg though....maybe you'd like to verify this ? Again, were you even watching wrestling then or just making stuff up? Plus, wasn't Goldberg the biggest draw in WCW in 1998, second only to Austin natiowide. I seem to vaguely remember this....

Skyfoxx: And when Hogan was taking WCW from a company losing $5 million a year to a company making $300 million (Controversy Creates Cash) a year, where was Ric Flair? Hmm, when WCW started losing money Ric Flair was in WWE!!!! He returned in 1993, business went significantly and the company turned a profit in 94 and 95. The WCW upswing had already started when Flair returned. Again, check any number of places detailing TV ratings and PPV buys, including Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

Quote:
No doubt Hogan has been successful. However, ppl can't take away from the role Vince McMahon's promotional genius played in the WWE expansion. PPl cetainly can't place the lions share of credit for WCW's success with the NWO on Hogan since he wasn't wrestling that much. That would be like saying Flair made Evolution big, he certainly helped but since he rarely wrestled any matches during that time you can't give him more credit than HHH or Batista or even Orton, they fought almost all the matches.
Oh, so because he didn't wrestle in matches every week, he cannot be a draw?

SkyFoxx:Are you telling me, then, that the Undertaker is not a big draw for the WWE? Because, how often do you see him wrestle for free? Obviously, the Undertaker cannot be a factor in the WWE's success, because he doesn't wrestle on free TV very often. Your position is ludicrous, and reeks of desperation.
Yeah, nobody here would doubt that Taker, after nearly 20 years geting close to 50 yrs old STILL WRESTLES ON TV more often than Hogan in the 1980's. Simply put, your drawing power isn't worth much when you're never on. WWE shows did major business WITHOUT Hogan ....they didn't exactly lose money with Randy Savage in 1988.
Quote:
Hogan is clearly the best at protecting his image, but Flair was the more influential wrestler by far. I don't fault Hogan, wrestling is a tough business and he did well with limited abilities. There are no pensions to fal back on or unions backing your play so you have to manipulate mgt and take care of yourself the best you can. Hogan was a genius at this. Flair's character and performances have made him, not Hogan, the guy today's stars look up to and emulate. Nobody ever compares The Rock, HHH, HBK, or Y2J to Hogan. The fact that Flair earned a reputation for being more of a company guy than Hogan has cemented his status with his peers. Still, as a business man Hogan is terrific, kinda like HHH but with less in ring ability. Flair was the bigger wrestler, his influence is far wider on today's product.
I don't even know what to say to such blatant bias.

SKYFOXX: The wrestlers who are actively participating in the WWE today have Hogan to thank for making the WWF such a household name. Those wrestlers like Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, etc. all have Hulk Hogan to thank for making WCW big enough to afford to hire them and give them national TV jobs.

The simple fact is, had not the WWF hired Flair back in 02, and had he not been such great friends with Triple H (if you want to talk politics, let's talk about how Flair became so buddy buddy with such an influential member backstage. My, how convenient it is that Flair became friends with the husband of the bosses daughter. But, no, politics had nothing to do with that, right?), then Ric Flair would have been left as a minor memory in the course of professional wrestling. You talk about the promotional machine that the WWE is, there is no better place to look first than to see what the WWE has done for Ric Flair. They took a man who was of minor importance from 1990 on, and made fans think he was actually this huge superstar. You want to talk about promotion, let's start with Ric Flair. This just reeks of jealousy...It's funnyhow ppl in WWE who supposedly are not in HHH's circle like Cena, Edge, Taker all pay hommage to Flair and his influence and contribution to the business. As far as the minor influnece comment, a strong case could be made that Hogan needed Flair to remain viable in the 1990's. Hogan drew horribly in WCW battling Beefacke, Earthquake, and vader in 1994 and 1995 when Flair was not around. Check the numbers. The upswing in PPV buys that started with Flair and Starrcade 93 ended after he left following Haloween Havoc 1994. TV ratings also declined in his absence. WCW brought Flair back, and according to Mark Madden who often covered the wrestling business in Pittsburgh in the 80's and 90's for the newspapers here, changed their storyline plans for Flair to have him oppose Hogan again because Hulk wasn't drawing against anyone else. Hogan himself talked about in his A&E Biography, addressing that fact fans were no longer interested in him by mid 95 and how he was disappointed Flair was getting cheered over him. Then when Monday Nitro was launched in late 95 Flair and Savage for the World Title and the return of Lex Luger were the centerpieces of the programming, Hogan was either MIA (the suspension angle in late 95 after Savage became champ) or was on the midcard battling Kevin Sullivan's gang while Flair was main eventing almost every week. According to Pro Wrestling Illustrated (their reports on wrestling TV) ratings for Nitro and Raw were dead even from Jan to June of 1996 and Flair wrestled more main events during that time than anyone on those shows. During those six months Flair and Big Show dominated the World Title, Hogan was not even a contender. WCW was so confidant in Hogan that they launched a national program head to head with WWE and made his opponents the centerpiece.

Now there is nothing wrong with Hogan's place in the industry. Sure, other wrestlers do not praise his contributions and writers covering the industry often portray him as selfish and looking out only for himself and not the business as whole. But again, this is a business, Hogan has no pension, ne health plan, no retirement. He needed to do what he could to maximize his income and he did. Politics, sure, but he was shrewd. Flair's contemporaries not only praise him for influencing the business as it is now (not Hogan) but for his willingness to take a proverbial backseat for the good of the company. That is why Flair is held in higher regard than Hogan by both their peers and wrestling journalists. That doesn't diminish Hogan's part in wrestling's initial boom of the 80's (although McMahon deserves a lot of credit). Fact is, Hogan will never be viewed in that kind of favorable light. His actions speak louder than words, but he does have tremedous sucess he can claim as his own.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for better matches, Flair wins, hands down. If you care about promoting wrestling, Hogan flat out put more butts in seats than Flair ever could hope to. Ric Flair couldn't put 93,000 people in the seats of the Pontiac Silverdome. Hogan/Andre did. I am not knocking Ric Flair at all...Him and Hogan are my two favorite wrestlers of all time, and I appreciate the accomplishments both men have given to the world of wrestling. Both are irreplaceable. However, with that being said, if I had to start a brand new promotion, and its the early 1980s, I would take Hogan over Flair. My first priority has to be selling tickets to the shows. As much as I love Naitch, Hogan and Vince together are responsible for Wrestling being a global phenomenon, not Ric Flair. McMahon couldn't have done it without Hogan, and Hogan couldn't have done it without Vince, but, the two of them, and not Ric Flair are responsible for wrestling's financial successes of the 80s. With that being said, if I want to watch high quality wrestling matches, I am not putting in the Hogan DVDs. Again, I am not demeaning Ric Flair in ANY way. He is the Man, and will always be the Man. Ultimately though, if I had to choose one or the other, I would pick Hogan as #1, and Flair as #1a.

Ill quote some pretty famous sayings of aquantinces of these two

"Hogan once said he was larger than wrestling. well guess what Ric Flair IS wrestling

"Hogan talks about measuring his 24 inch pythons with a ruler, well guess what Hogan does have the pythons, but Ric Flair IS the ruler

Hogan made wrestling a lot more mainstream in the 80's he brought in a whole new audience, and to tell you the truth i still dont get the magic behind it because when Hogan came to the WWE in January of 1984(hogan was in WWE in 1979 as well but was then an unknown), he seemed to be cheered out of the f'n building before he even had a chance to say a word or perform a wrestling move, he truly was in the right place at the right time, had McMahon wanted to give Hulkamania to someone else and let them beat the Iron Sheik i truly believe that could have happened

on another note Ric Flair was truly a far better wrestler and a far better interviewer(obviously), he wanted to give the people exciting back and forth matches that you truly didnt know who was gonna win (unlike Hogan who was in a lot of squash matches)

hey, this post is not a knock at Hogan, I love Hogan just as much as the next guy (although i do believe he abused his power in WCW like crazy), im just pointing out the fact that i believe Ric Flair is a little better over all

its truly a shame the hugely promoted and awesome match between these 2 never happened, i had been saying since Wrestlemania 20, that it would be perfect at Wrestlemania 25, but now i think different, they are now a little too past there primes and with the controversy surrounding Hogan and his family it will never happen:flair:

In the eighties and early ninties these guys were selling tickets two different ways. Hogan was a face, and Flair a heel. If I have to compare I have to say Flair.

Hogan has limited wrestling skills at best.
I think its harder to be a heel than a face, anyone can go out there and pretend to be a noble person that everyone will love. But being a heel is allot more complicated.

Don't get me wrong Hogan was one of the best heels ever in the NWO, but without the horseman there would never have been a NWO.

Saying its easier to be face because all you have to do is act noble is an unfair statement. I could just as easily say getting over as a heel is easy, you just have to act like a jerk. Getting over as a face or heel requires you do develop a character the fans care about. Both of these guys could do that, but Hogan could do it far better. Hogan was the top face in the 80's and early 90's, then the top heel. Flair was never big on a national stage, not even close to Hogan. As for no NWO (thus no heel Hogan) without the Horseman, thats another unfair statement. The four horseman was a popular stable, but its not like there wouldn't have been other ones had it flopped. It came first, it doesn't make it better.

Also, I found the Hogan is bigger than wrestling but Flair is wrestling line funny. That directly says Hogan is bigger than Flair, yet is somehow a Flair argument.

In the eighties and early ninties these guys were selling tickets two different ways. Hogan was a face, and Flair a heel. If I have to compare I have to say Flair.

Hogan has limited wrestling skills at best.
I think its harder to be a heel than a face, anyone can go out there and pretend to be a noble person that everyone will love. But being a heel is allot more complicated.

Don't get me wrong Hogan was one of the best heels ever in the NWO, but without the horseman there would never have been a NWO.

Again, that damn line. I think I hate that one line more then anything I have ever heard in professional wrestling. Seriously, this is the spoon fed crap the WWE tries to shove down everyones throats, and people just sit there and digest, then regurgitate that crap.

Also, it is so much easier being a heel. In any story, or movie that people talk about, they always discuss how easy it is to be bad. It is hard to be good because people are routing against you. If there is anything people love then a hero, is the heroes eventual fall from grace.

Hogan drew like no other, he put buts in the seats, he made you sit so close to the television and hang onto his every word, he oozed charisma, most importantly he made you believe. So in every way shape and form he was better than Flair. But for me to say I like Hogan more than I like Flair would make me a liar.

I've said before in this thread every single piece of spoonfed crap that the wwe was feeding me. I was just being ignorant. Hogan is so much bigger than Flair in every aspect. But to me nobody will ever touch Flair. Somebody said that this is pick YOUR poisen. So therefore I pick Flair. But don't let what the WWE says change your perspective on either men.

When you go back and watch old Hogan and old Flair matches there is really no question who is the better wrestler. Hogan was an icon and did sell a lot of tickets, but Flair is a better wrestler by a mile. You can have at this comment kids but Hogan's matches aren't even watchable anymore. They are so slow paced and sloppy it's ridiculous. Not every match folks, but almost every one. I watched the Hogan/Andre match not too long ago for the hell of it, and it was truly laughable. The entire match was based completely around him slamming Andre and had nothing to do with good quality wrestling. I know Andre isn't the best wrestler and I know the match was supposed to be about him getting slammed, but still it totally sucked and that's one of the most famous matches ever. I'm a fan of the 'sport' and I would rather watch a really good match between two guys I don't even know than watch a really popular wrestler who can't wrestle that well. Flair was magic in the ring and on the mic everytime. And for the folks that are raving about how great of a hero Hogan was and how remarkable it is that he was able to be that great of a heel as well...I would have to say once you gain that much popularity you can do anything and get attention for it. Hogan played the heel roll and had an ass load of better heels with him in the NWO that helped him do it. Flair has played the good, the bad, he's won great matches, and lost great matches. He's by far the better wrestler. Do I have to remind you that Hogan was in arguably the worst mainstream match of all time. Oh come on you remember. Hogan/Warrior 2 ring a bell. Luckily those eyebrows grew back. That's just my opinion...we've all got one...break it down.

ill give hogan his credit he made wrestling mainstream no question and had his impact. but flairs impact was far more greater. he put over countless wrestlers than went on to be legends. created the format for the modern day faction, and the modern day top heel. and he influenced countless wrestlers. the jericho, hbk, HHH, austin, beniot, etc etc. not hands down but flair takes it.

When you go back and watch old Hogan and old Flair matches there is really no question who is the better wrestler.
I agree. I'd much rather watch Hulk Hogan matches than see the same Ric Flair match over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Hogan was an icon and did sell a lot of tickets, but Flair is a better wrestler by a mile.
No, not by a mile, and not even a better wrestler.

You can have at this comment kids but Hogan's matches aren't even watchable anymore.
Funny, because I just watch his match with The Rock last night...

They are so slow paced and sloppy it's ridiculous. Not every match folks, but almost every one.
Hogan matches are almost never sloppy. And sure, it's slow paced. It's professional wrestling. That's how wrestling is SUPPOSED to be. Today's wrestling is little more than highly choreographed dancing. Wrestling 20 years ago actually looks legit.

I watched the Hogan/Andre match not too long ago for the hell of it, and it was truly laughable. The entire match was based completely around him slamming Andre and had nothing to do with good quality wrestling. I know Andre isn't the best wrestler and I know the match was supposed to be about him getting slammed, but still it totally sucked and that's one of the most famous matches ever.
Wait, Hulk Hogan has to carry a 500 pound behemoth, who is at the end of his career, drunk, overweight, can't move, and will die inside of 10 years due to disease, and you're going to hold that match against Hogan?

Fine. I watched Flair vs. Carlito once. It sucked badly. Now we're even.

No one remembers that match because it was good, and there's not a single fan who will tell you that's an exhibition in the highest quality of wrestling. But, the fact that the match was the way it was and STILL IS MEMORABLE, should tell you all you need to know about Hogan's greatness. I mean, how many other wrestlers have bad matches that people point to as one of the great moments in wrestling?

I'm a fan of the 'sport'
It's not a sport, and hasn't been for over half a century.

Flair was magic in the ring and on the mic everytime.
Unfortunately for Flair, it was the same magic everytime. Every match was essentially the same. Don't believe me? Just ask Bret Hart and Ole Anderson.

And for the folks that are raving about how great of a hero Hogan was and how remarkable it is that he was able to be that great of a heel as well...I would have to say once you gain that much popularity you can do anything and get attention for it. Hogan played the heel roll and had an ass load of better heels with him in the NWO that helped him do it.
Who? Who in the nWo was a great heel? It certainly wasn't Nash or Hall, who routinely got cheered during their segments. There was only ONE heel in the nWo group that got significant heat and that was Hulk Hogan.

Hulk Hogan was the biggest face of all time, and the biggest heel of all time.

Oh come on you remember. Hogan/Warrior 2 ring a bell. Luckily those eyebrows grew back.
Haha, so? Every wrestler has had bad matches. Would you like me to remind you of Flair's?

but flairs impact was far more greater.
Hulk Hogan led wrestling through two separate boom periods for wrestling.

There's nothing Ric Flair has ever done that can touch that.

he put over countless wrestlers than went on to be legends.
Countless eh?

Ok, I'm game. Go ahead and name 5.

the modern day top heel
How so?

and he influenced countless wrestlers. the jericho, hbk, HHH, austin, beniot, etc etc. not hands down but flair takes it.
And without Hogan, most of those guys probably wouldn't have even had wrestling jobs on national television.

Saying its easier to be face because all you have to do is act noble is an unfair statement. I could just as easily say getting over as a heel is easy, you just have to act like a jerk. Getting over as a face or heel requires you do develop a character the fans care about. Both of these guys could do that, but Hogan could do it far better. Hogan was the top face in the 80's and early 90's, then the top heel. Flair was never big on a national stage, not even close to Hogan. As for no NWO (thus no heel Hogan) without the Horseman, thats another unfair statement. The four horseman was a popular stable, but its not like there wouldn't have been other ones had it flopped. It came first, it doesn't make it better.

Maybe I should say its easier to be the type of face that Hogan was just the same as John Cena "I support the troops" "USA" blah blah blah. Yes anyone can go out there and be a heel that gets a reaction from the crowd (Randy Orton JBL) But once again the type of heel that Flair was. The type that sells tickets ( d-x, NWO) this requires talent.
I'm not saying that the Horseman was a better stable than NWO, Just that it set the pace for the NWO. They didn't invent this idea, It was already there and they already knew that it would work.

So are you saying that anyone could have pulled off Hogan's gimmick? If we swapped Hogan with Warrior all would be the same? I highly doubt that, Hogan had/s loads more charisma than anyone not named Randy Savage.

The stable comment I made was simply to show that the NWO and Four Horseman are not related at all. The Horseman had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the success of the NWO. It all stemmed from Hogan turning heel, and being able to draw massive amounts of heat. This gained the group instant credibilty and actually helped them last longer. Had Hogan not played such a great heel, the NWO would have been cheered more than anything.

Maybe I should say its easier to be the type of face that Hogan was just the same as John Cena "I support the troops" "USA" blah blah blah.
Yes, being a proud American ALWAYS works to get wrestlers face heat. Isn't that right Kurt Angle? How about you "The Patriot" Del Welkes. I mean, look at the 7 title reigns Hacksaw Jim Duggan's had. Mr. America Lex Luger certainly was a boon to the business.

Yes, clearly just being patriotic is the fastest way to achieving face success.

Yes anyone can go out there and be a heel that gets a reaction from the crowd (Randy Orton JBL) But once again the type of heel that Flair was. The type that sells tickets ( d-x, NWO) this requires talent.
I'm not saying that the Horseman was a better stable than NWO, Just that it set the pace for the NWO. They didn't invent this idea, It was already there and they already knew that it would work.
The type of heel Flair was? Ric Flair sold tickets based upon the strength of the opponent he was working against. He sold more tickets against Dusty Rhodes than he did Ricky Morton. Flair's job was to go to an NWA promotion, make their top guy look good, but escape with the belt. The draw in the card was each regional promotions top guy getting a shot at the belt. And since most regions use a face as their top guy (because faces draw better than heels), the success of Flair's drawing was based not just upon his name, but the name of the face he was opposing.

The difference between Flair and Hogan is that it didn't matter who Hogan faced, he was still selling tickets.

I'm in camp Hogan for this one. No matter who he was up against he sold tickets. That's the kind of guy that you use to take your product to the mainstream. We talk about Flair's legacy well if it wasn't for Hogan's mainstream popularity in the first place we wouldn't see Flair's legacy on national Television. The Ric Flair routine although a routine he perfected got old. You can watch most Hogan matches and not get bored. But run through 5 Ric Flair tapes and you have seen them all.

And it is well documented that one Steve Austin looked to the Hulksters legacy as the blueprint that he wanted for his own sucess. I am sure he wasn't and won't be the last to do it.

Hogan oozed charisma, he entertained and he brought in the cash. Give me Hulk Hogan over Ric Flair anyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back