Pick a PS3 game for me

Slim Pickns

Has Been Drafted To RAW
This is like Jake's thread, except more rushed. What game for ps3 should I buy? I'm going on my break in 1 hour and there is a gamestop two stores down from my gym that I have a $70 gift card at.

I like sports games but I also just finished Uncharted so I'm not currently playing a game. Uncharted is the only game I have played on ps3 so everything is wide open.

I hear Assassins Creed kicks ass. I don't have a 360 or a PS3 so I can't give you frist hand knowledge.

All the awards it won (Wiki.org)
Game Critics Awards
Won: Best Action/Adventure Game.
IGN
Won: Best Action Game, PS3 Game of the Show, Best PS3 Action Game, Best PS3 Graphics
Runner-up: Best Console Game, Best PS3 Artistic Design, PS3 Award for Technological Excellence
Nominations: Game of the Show, Best Graphics Technology
GameSpot
Won: Best PS3 Game of the Show
Runner-up: Game of the Show, Best Trailer, Best Graphics, Best Action Adventure Game
GameSpy
Won: Best PS3 Game of the Show
GameTrailers
Won: Best of Show
Runner-up: Best Trailer, Most Innovative, Best Action/Adventure
1UP.com
Won: Best PS3 game
Runner-up: Best Visuals, Game of the Show
The award nominations and wins after release included:
Spike TV Awards
Nominated: Best Action Game
GameStooge Awards
Nominated: Best PlayStation 3 Game, Best Action Game, Best Graphics - Artistic, Best Plot Twist, Best Trailer ("Lonely Soul"), Breakout Character (Altaïr)
X-Play Best of 2007 Awards
Nominated: Game of the Year, Most Original Game, Best Gameplay Innovation, Best Action/Adventure Game, Best Art Direction, Best Animation, Best Sound Design

let's see
resistance - havent played it heard its great
assassin's creed - didn't like it when i first played it, played it a second time, amazing game
rainbow six vegas 1 or 2 - won a bunch of awards, pretty good game
Condemned - creepy
Dark Sector - haven't played it
Army of two - great to play with a friend
Fight Night - always love fight night
Devil May Cry 4 - Amazing game, love it
Turok - It's alright, gets a little repetitive a little bit

let's see
resistance - havent played it heard its great
assassin's creed - didn't like it when i first played it, played it a second time, amazing game
rainbow six vegas 1 or 2 - won a bunch of awards, pretty good game
Condemned - creepy

Dark Sector - haven't played it
Army of two - great to play with a friend
Fight Night - always love fight night
Devil May Cry 4 - Amazing game, love it
Turok - It's alright, gets a little repetitive a little bit

I was thinking Vegas two since the first one kicked ass, but I heard its pretty much the same game. They had Condemed used for $10 bucks so I could buy that and Condemned 2. I'm also thinking about MLB the show.

I played Assassin's Creed on 360, that game is boring, I don't get the hype.

I was thinking Vegas two since the first one kicked ass, but I heard its pretty much the same game. They had Condemed used for $10 bucks so I could buy that and Condemned 2. I'm also thinking about MLB the show.

I played Assassin's Creed on 360, that game is boring, I don't get the hype.

I thought that too about assassin's the first time i played it, i thought the controls were too complicated, but then once you dive into the game, its great. The controls are basic, the sword fights are cool, and i thought you couldn't even run in the game, but you can and no one will suspect you, it was pretty awesome.

Call of Duty 4. It's the most fun you'll ever have with a game. Failing that, Assassin's Creed ain't bad.

oh yea, scratch everything i said, Call of Duty 4 is the way to go, beats any other game out there.

I owned Assassin's Creed for 360 and didn't like it. The pick pocket missions were too boring and the missions were too repetitive. I also have COD 4 for my 360, the only problem is I got the red rings of death for the second time so its out of commision. However, I don't want to buy a game I already own.

Brahma has me leaning towards Condemned, but I kind of want MLB The Show. I'm also looking online and am intrigued by Dark Sector. I haven't heard a review of it though.

Condemned i love those kind of games, survival horror. I've heard nothing but great things about Condemned 2, should be well worth it, and especially if the first part is there for 10 bucks.

Did you send your 360 back to microsoft yet?

review for Dark Sector
An all-new and original action-thriller designed exclusively for next-generation consoles, Dark Sector thrusts players into the role of Hayden Tenno, an elite black-ops agent sent on a dangerous mission into a decaying Eastern European city that hides a deadly Cold War secret. Attacked by an unknown enemy, he awakens to find part of his body altered by an infection that has granted him inhuman abilities and he must learn to evolve along with his powers, to survive and to become a hero. A dark, gritty experience packed with fast action, incredible superpowers and an engaging story. [D3Publisher of America]

I did send it back this is the second time. They said that they will be sending me a new one for free, the one with the HDMI port. Its a good thing they did because sending in my 360 twice would be enough for me to go back to supporting just Sony.

I found a review for Dark Sector and I guess its pretty bad, so I'll probably get Condemned and play them backwards since the first one is only on 360.

I cant stand baseball games personaly, they bore me to death. But if your down with them, then get it, becuase itll have about 100000000000X more replayabiltiy than Condemned or any game of that sort. You beat it twice, and your pretty much done forever. You cant really ever "beat" a sports game. Cuz there is always next year.

I did send it back this is the second time. They said that they will be sending me a new one for free, the one with the HDMI port. Its a good thing they did because sending in my 360 twice would be enough for me to go back to supporting just Sony.

Y'know, it's wierd, a lot of my friends have a 360 as I do, and I have never experienced a 360 breaking down first hand.

That's a summary, not a review.
I realized after I posted
This is a review from Gamerstemple.com 90/100
Lets face it; D3 hasn’t historically been a publisher known for quality releases. For a long time, they put out terrible PS2 game after terrible PS2 game with some licensed crap thrown in here and there for good measure (Pirates of the Caribbean, Ben 10, Kim Possible, etc.). Somehow, around a year ago, D3 quietly reversed their fortune and put out two of the very best games of 2007, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (available on the DS, PSP and PC) and the criminally underrated Dead Head Fred (PSP). Two quality releases doesn’t exactly make up for years of borderline painful games, so I was understandably skeptical about Dark Sector (PS3, 360). The game wasn’t even a blip on my radar until a few weeks ago (usually a bad sign… like a movie that you don’t see previews for until right around its release). After I checked out a couple of screens and gameplay videos, I left myself become cautiously optimistic. Now that I’ve spent some time with the game, I’d say that Dark Sector is both blessed and cursed to follow in Dead Head Fred’s footsteps. Like Fred, the game is a blast to play, but lukewarm advance reviews and a curious lack of marketing will probably hurt the sales numbers. Blockbuster smash or no, Dark Sector is an action extravaganza, with one of the coolest weapons ever, that may very well become 2008’s best game no one played.

After a brief, yet fantastic looking, opening scene, Dark Sector instantly reveals to the player that in a world populated by sub-par FPS games and usually even worse 3rd person shooters, the designers weren’t afraid to buck the trends and go with (i.e. copy) a very Resident Evil 4 style of play. Being that RE4 is one of the Top 10 best games I’ve ever played (the Wii version is the definitive package; the GCN version was great, the PS2 version was unplayable… the Wii version topped them both), the over-the-shoulder, zoom-in-to-aim setup grabbed my attention from the very start. Unlike RE4, though, Dark Sector controls almost like a FPS, whereas RE4 didn’t have the same dual analog move/shoot setup. RE4 essentially froze the player where they stood while aiming a weapon; Dark Sector allows your character to move and shoot at the same time. If you’ve played though RE4 as many times as I have (8 and counting), this might take some getting used to. If you were born and bred an FPS player, you won’t have any trouble at all. Just for good measure, the developers threw in a little duck-and-cover mechanic that is very, very similar to Gears of War and it works just as well as the RE4 mechanics. I don’t really have a problem with games, in this case, Dark Sector, cannibalizing other games for ideas if the source material is as good as RE4 and Gears of War. The controls are tight and aside from sometimes-dull control sensitivity (it can be adjusted) and something I’ll get to later, Dark Sector feels fluid and smooth from the get-go.

After you get over the quality of the controls, you’ll notice two things while playing through the game’s prologue chapter. The first is that the game gives you only a handful of cursory hints (what button does what); things like reloading, running, switching weapons, etc. are pretty much your responsibility to figure out. While the lack of assistance isn’t as bad as, say, Mass Effect, I find that this kind of trial-and-error, “Hey bud, why don’t YOU figure it out” stuff to be the kind of thing that usually gets a game I’m playing sold or traded in. I like my games challenging, but not in the way that figuring out in level four or five that, yes, your character can jump can be challenging. Bosses, lasers, enemies, bottomless pits – these are cool. Having to find out by accident that you can reload before a clip of ammo is gone isn’t.

The other issue is that at the start, the player has absolutely no idea what is going on. Why is this agent infiltrating a decrepit castle? What’s this about a virus? Are we in Russia? Why shoot a man tied to a chair? How do submarines, zombies and generic Russian villains (complete with awful accents) fit into all this? Why is Saren stabbing me (another Mass Effect reference… play the game and you’ll get it)? It certainly wouldn’t have been a bad thing to give the player even just a little more plot, if for no other reason than to hook finicky, easily distracted gamers. The story picks up in later levels, but you’ll be completely lost at first. Imagine playing Crisis Core or watching Advent Children if you had never heard of, let alone played, Final Fantasy VII. That about as lost as you’ll feel when starting Dark Sector.

Unfortunately, it would be impossible to write a spoiler-free review for this game. Why? Because you don’t start the game with the weapon-to-end-all-weapons. I don’t feel too bad, though; if you’ve seen a television commercial or even the box the game comes in, you know that Dark Sector’s biggest draw is a thrown, three bladed boomerang called the Glaive. If you’ve seen “Ninja Scroll,” picture the rock-skinned villain’s boomerang-o-death. Now make it handheld and add a third blade to it. Or simply imagine what the blade in a food processor looks like and how much damage it could cause if you hurled it at someone. Using the Glaive, you can hack multiple enemies to bits in a single brutal throw. Even better, when thrown, the camera zooms right up to the weapon, giving the player the chance to control its path as it bounces off walls and takes off scores of heads and body parts.

Slim, get MLB the show. It's a must have for any baseball fan and is probably the best baseball game ever made outside of MVP 05.

Y'know, it's wierd, a lot of my friends have a 360 as I do, and I have never experienced a 360 breaking down first hand.

An estimated 60% of the US released 360's are defective. The UK release was a little later I beleive or they just got a whole different batch and have not nearly the failure rate.

Slim, get MLB the show. It's a must have for any baseball fan and is probably the best baseball game ever made outside of MVP 05.

MVP 05 was the most time I ever spent with a baseball game. I played every game of a full season and playoffs. That game was great. I think I'm gonna pick up Condemned and The Show since I have $70 dollars and get 10% off. I can spare a little cash. That way I have a pick up and play game and a somewhat time consuming one.

I know. I was fucking pissed. the presentation on that far eclipses ANY sports game EVER. And the gameplay fucking owned too. You can always find gimmick plays and bullshit methods of cheating on the EA games. ESPN played like a real game every time. I actually had fear of loosing when I played that game. And they had the difficulty sliders, so u could taylor the game to your liking. and you could edit the prospects in the draft too. Fuck yea. best game ever.

Thats what I miss about football games, fear of losing. In Madden you can always go 16-0 unless you purposely avoid plays that the situation calls for.

ESPN was awesome because it felt like football. I won an OT playoff game because it was snowing and the WR slipped allowing me to intercept the pass. That stuff doesn' happen in Madden.

Madden does have too many gimmick plays. Whenever I can't sleep I just watch TV until I bore myself to death. I watched Madden Challenge which features the "best" Madden players in the world. They do Goal Line offense for every play because in Madden 08 its a for sure three yards at least, so when you go for it on fourth down you for sure get a new set of downs. I was thinking how is that even fun.

I'm not even reading what anyone else suggested.

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

Buy this, and don't think twice. This game will last you as long as you want it to, it's fun as hell, and is incredibly open-ended.

It's the biggest game I've ever seen, and yet can be finished in only a few hours if that's what you truly want to do. Or, you can play it for 200 hours and not even take the first step towards the finale.

Read up on it and then buy it. Or just buy it. It's addicting and fun as hell and the lasting appeal is the greatest I have ever seen.

Link to review: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/775/775711p1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back