Phoenix Region, Fourth Round: Hell in a Cell: (1) Shawn Michaels vs. (5) Chris Benoit

Who Wins This Match

• Shawn Michaels

• Chris Benoit

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a fourth round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix, Arizona.

phoenixstadium.jpg

It is a Hell in a Cell match.

Rules: In this contest the match ends by pinfall or submission and the match takes place in the 20 foot high Hell in a Cell cage.

#1 Shawn Michaels

308780_4e001acc-af0b-4412-8cdf-61c29d5a0787-shawn-michaels.jpg

Vs.

#5 Chris Benoit

lens286448_1229375750001.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 60 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

Benoit in this one. Michaels was great and all but Benoit could be brutal when he needed to be and conservative when he needed to be. This match would be balls to the wall all the way through and it would have a crazy ass spot to finish it like a diving head butt through the part of the cell roof that is broken and both men would most likely be wearing a crimson mask. True classic.

There arent many matches Ive yet to see live that I would pay to do so. This just so happens to be one of them.

On one hand, you have Shawn Michaels, who by my check, has been in 4 Hell in A Cell matches, and is 3-1 in them. He won the first ever, obviously, defeating Undertaker with heavy interference. He then lost his second one in one of the most vicious matches Ive seen against HHH years later at Bad Blood 2004. His last two HIAC matches were with HHH as a part of DX, where he and Hunter defeated the McMahons and Big Show at Unforgiven 2006, and vs Legacy at Hell in a Cell 2009. The match vs. Legacy saw HBK trapped in the Cell with both DiBiase and Rhodes for at least 10 minutes alone as HHH was locked outside the cage, so Michaels ability to sustain punishment and not give up in this match environment cannot be understated.

Chris Benoit, on the other hand, has never been in a Hell in A Cell match. The thing with Benoit though was his ability to compete and succeed in matches that he was in for the first time. While Im quite aware this isn't a TLC match, Benoit competed in such a match at TLC 3 after taking a horrific bump through a table, breaking his neck. He not only returned to the match, but won the match for he and Jericho. He also defended his only World Title against Kane in a match in which Kane could win by DQ, submission, countout, or pinfall, where Benoit had to win by submission. This wasn't the Kane of 2010, either, this was Kane that was being booked as an unstoppable monster at the time. Benoit made Kane tap out anyway. Benoit's ability to adaapt his style both to his opponent, match style, and fight through punishment are all things that look favorably upon him. There's no doubt in my mind he could have thrived in a HIAC match.

Ive voted HBK each step of the way in the tournament, without hesitation. Shawn's experience within HIAC is important here, as is his relative success. There are many match types in which Shawn hs competed in many times, and has losing records in, so one would think he has the Cell pretty well figured out with his 3-1 record. As much as I think Benoit would feel comfortable within the Cell quickly, I think Shawn would feel at home here. I think this would be a true classic of a match tht would see both men bleeding heavily, but Michaels has always seemed to thrive off the to come back for more. A fairly long match that HBK wins at the 36 minute mark after a second SCM to Benoit. HBK advances.

This would have been a great match but, in the end, I'm going with HBK for the win. I have no doubt that Benoit would give him everything he could handle. To be honest, I wouldn't be bothered to see Benoit move on in the tourney but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Shawn Michaels is possibly the overall best of all time. He's been up against a huge variety of opponents of all shapes, sizes and styles while managing to come out ahead most of the time. He's had so many huge moments and legendary matches in his career that he's just always seemed to be on a different level than Chris Benoit. The single biggest match of Chris Benoit's career was the defeat of Triple H & HBK in a triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX. It was a great moment and a great match and as much as I've always been a fan of Chris Benoit inside the ring, I think he'll always be viewed mostly as a fantastic mid-card wrestler that got his moment in the sun at WrestleMania XX.

I think both men would be bloody and pretty much spent by the time it was all over with. It wouldn't surprise me if both wrestlers had managed to hit their finisher at least once on each other. In the end, I see HBK hitting Sweet Chin Music out of nowhere for the win about the 25 minute mark.

Boy oh boy, talk about a push of a match right here. You have two guys that are virtually identical in a lot of ways. Cardio, speed, experience, pretty much as even as it gets.

Can Shawn Michaels rattle Chris Benoit is the main thing. If Shawn Michaels can aggravate Benoit and make him do something stupid, HBK can knock Benoit out instantly with sweet chin music.

Both men have put the other down before. Benoit made Michaels tap, HBK has won with sweet chin music. I'm leaning with Michaels right now, but I can be convinced to go the other way.

Benoit was brilliant in the ring, but one match he was never in was a Hell in a Cell. I don't think he knows what he is getting into. HBK has won 2 out of 3 HIAC matches, as far as I can recall and knows what it takes to win and survive in this sort of match. Benoit will be ruthless and the match will be brutal but in the end HBK knows how to win in the cell and Benoit does not. HBK wins.

I think Benoit knows what he is getting into. Hell in a Cell isn't rocket science. It's a cage surronding a ring. How hard is that? Chris Benoit didn't know what he was getting into when he competed in a TLC match. HBK in one-on-one HIAC matches is 1-1 and we all know about the Undertaker situation so that should never be a factor when deciding to vote but sadly it will be. What you're left is a loss against HHH who couldn't beat Benoit all year.

I think Benoit knows what he is getting into. Hell in a Cell isn't rocket science. It's a cage surronding a ring. How hard is that?

Exactly. I've never understood this notion that a Cell match is so much more brutal than a Cage match. With the one exception being the one with Foley & Taker, I haven't really seen why Cell matches are any more dangerous than straight up Cage Matches.

Both one on one Cell matches Michaels has been in has resulted in him being massacred by opponents with a lot more ruthless aggression and a meaner streak. Does any fit this bill more than Benoit? Is anyone really convinced that a guy who will take every risk that Michaels would while being substantially more aggressive can't find a way to beat a guy who really doesn't have any success in this kind of match? Shawn was absolutely destroyed by Taker in the first match and was only victorious due to Kane's interference. He got beat by Hunter and won a match against 2 businessmen and a Giant with the help of Hunter.

My vote goes to Benoit. He's too brutal for Shawn to overcome.

Exactly Lawler and F.A.T, I've never really been to much of a Hbk fan. Sorry, but I wont let that affect my voting. Benoit was a monster in the ring and had the Stamina to keep it up for imo than Hbk. Both are vets of the ring so the whole getting Benoit pissed off is a rookie thing and I doubt he would make that mistake in the ring with another Vet like Hbk. Looking into all this stuff about Hbk being a master of the hell in a cell, it's just smoke and mirrors. He was broken in half by Trips, beaten to a pulp by taker until Kane came out and screwed him over. But he showed he has the chops to take it from two men for almost ten minutes alone. But are Ted Dibase and Cody Chirs Benoit? Hell no, Chris would be able to do the same thing, if not more against two rookies like Ted and Cody.

Chris was known to do rigorous workouts after botching even once in his match, he also didn't get the nickname the Crippler for nothing. Imo Chris takes out Hbk after a good match with a Sharpshooter, Hbk moves to the ropes and the ref stops it. Stood back up I see Chris hitting his German suplex's after some standup between the two. Then he either goes to the top for a headbut or just slapping on the Crippler crossface.

Chris wins this one

When I think of how this match would go down I just envision Shawn Michaels coming out the victor. Benoit was one amazing competitor in the ring, but Shawn Michaels was the complete package. While Benoit won a Royal Rumble, Shawn won two. Benoit won his championship, Shawn won four. Benoit beat his share of top competition, but Shawn Michaels has beaten anyone notable going back nearly 20 years. No matter how you slice it, the more impressive career belongs to the Heartbreak Kid.

But career alone will not win you a match this late in the competition. Right now it's about who is the better wrestler. It's about who is stronger, faster, and smarter. Chris Benoit is probably slightly stronger than HBK, and they're both very fast... but Shawn Michaels dominates Benoit when it comes to smarts, and that's how he is going to win this match.

Let's not pretend that the Cell that surrounds the ring is going to make that favors power and brutality over sense. It's a vicious match for sure, but only because the competitors inevitably use the cell as a weapon. Neither man has the strength required to totally dominate the other for any length of time, so it is unlikely that we see Benoit toss Shawn Michaels into the steel mesh or vice versa. In fact, it is much more likely that we see Shawn Michaels Irish Whip Chris Benoit into the wall and then feed him some Sweet Chin Music, sending Benoit through the wall. If you can't use power, you can use timing and cunning to make use of the cage as a weapon.

And then when we place ourselves at the top of the cell, a place where some of the most memorable and most devastating moments in WWE history have occurred, do you really see Benoit being able to toss Shawn off the top? I more easily envision HBK hitting Sweet Chin Music on Benoit, sending him off the top of the cage to the floor. Or maybe he'll hit SCM on Benoit and send him through the roof of the cage, and then HBK will hit a diving elbow drop off of the roof to put Benoit down for the count.

I think that Shawn's cunning, mixed with his other abilities and the fact that he is one of the greatest of all times, will be what wins HBK this match. Benoit is good, one of the best technical wrestlers ever, but he doesn't have what it takes to beat Shawn in this type of match.

Vote HBK.

Or maybe he'll hit SCM on Benoit and send him through the roof of the cage,

Wait what how are you planning to Super Kick someone through the cell. He's going to fall and all that weight is going to break the cell roof. That's happned twice and that was Taker choke slamming a Foley through the cell and Triple dropping Foley through the roof. What did both of these have the fact the other guy was lifted in the air and he weight 300 pounds. No way in hell would Benoit falling down break the cell.

And how is Shawn Micheals smarter then Benoit. Just asking How do you measure smarts in wrestling and how is Shawn apart of being smart? The guy who stomps on the mat before doing his finishing move is smart allowing the other guy to know what's coming. Yeah he's clearly the smart one:lmao:

Now Benoit on the other hand is stronger then Micheals, Probably Faster then Micheals, and in my opinion the more techinically superior of the two. I could easily see Benoit ducking a SCM and countering it into a Crossface for the tap out.

On the other hand Benoit had the habit of going for the Diving Headbut. Hell Benoit would probably do it off the top of the cell considering he's done it from the top of a ladder. Luckily for Benoit his opponent here is the same type of person to go for an elbow drop off a cell.

I'm going with Benoit in 27 minutes after Micheals taps to the Crossface

As much as I enjoyed Benoit's technical ability and his tenacity, I'm gonna give this one to Shawn Michaels. Michaels is damn good in Hell in a Cell matches, for one, but he is also just plain better than Benoit. It would be a very tight contest, but what does Benoit have that HBK doesn't? What does Benoit have that separates him from HBK? Sure, he is very brutal, but so is Michaels. Look at SummerSlam 2002, HBK's brutality comes out in full swing during his match against Triple H. There is no doubt in my mind that HBK would be able to turn it up and pull out this win.

Vote HBK.

I'm leaning toward HBK, I beleive his experience in big matches and HIAC give him that slight edge needed to win this match, both men are going to beat the living shit out of each other for a good 30 to 40 mins., but I see this match ending with either Benoit going for a flying headbutt and missing allowing HBK to hit SCM on him for the win, or Benoit going for the Crossface only for HBK to counter out and hit SCM, either way HBK hits SCM and wins this one

HBK might have the HIAC experience but Benoit does has Elimination Chamber, War Games and ordinary Cage Match experience so I don't see that being a major issue.

I think Benoit will win this one due to Michaels being the more profuse bleeder of the two. Shawn will be covered in claret, pretty much from the get go, and ultimately this will lead to his downfall and he will pass out to the Crippler Crossface (ala Austin to Bret's Sharpshooter) with very little time remaining of the hour time allotment.

Wait what how are you planning to Super Kick someone through the cell. He's going to fall and all that weight is going to break the cell roof. That's happned twice and that was Taker choke slamming a Foley through the cell and Triple dropping Foley through the roof. What did both of these have the fact the other guy was lifted in the air and he weight 300 pounds. No way in hell would Benoit falling down break the cell.

Shawn kicks Benoit, Benoit falls flat on the cage roof, and his weight forces the roof open. And it's the WWE, it's a scripted match, of course it could happen. Perhaps Benoit will have loosened it up first after hitting the Three German Suplexes on HBK, but HBK manages to hit SCM.

And how is Shawn Micheals smarter then Benoit. Just asking How do you measure smarts in wrestling and how is Shawn apart of being smart? The guy who stomps on the mat before doing his finishing move is smart allowing the other guy to know what's coming. Yeah he's clearly the smart one:lmao:

Huh, tuning up the band doesn't seem to hurt Shawn's chances of hitting Sweet Chin Music, he's hit it on just about everyone.

If you don't recognize that Shawn Michaels is one of the most cunning superstars to ever climb in the ring, there's no hope for you. Benoit, on the other hand, has proven to be more of a straight forward guy, and that's not gonna win this match for him. And you want proof that Benoit isn't as bright as Shawn? He uses a diving headbutt as his finisher. That's not doing his brain any favors.

Now Benoit on the other hand is stronger then Micheals, Probably Faster then Micheals, and in my opinion the more techinically superior of the two. I could easily see Benoit ducking a SCM and countering it into a Crossface for the tap out.

Faster than Michaels? No. Stronger, yes. Superior technical abilities is also debatable. Shawn Michaels went stride for stride with Angle in their Wrestlemania match, and while Benoit has had his fair share of matches with Angle, I've never seen him look as impressive as Michaels.

On the other hand Benoit had the habit of going for the Diving Headbut. Hell Benoit would probably do it off the top of the cell considering he's done it from the top of a ladder. Luckily for Benoit his opponent here is the same type of person to go for an elbow drop off a cell.

If Shawn superkicked Benoit over the edge, I doubt he'd screw his chances by going for the diving elbow. Also, a missed diving elbow would probably still hurt less than a hit diving headbutt from the top of the cell.

Shawn Michaels will play this match better and smarter than Benoit. Give it to HBK.

Shawn kicks Benoit, Benoit falls flat on the cage roof, and his weight forces the roof open. And it's the WWE, it's a scripted match, of course it could happen. Perhaps Benoit will have loosened it up first after hitting the Three German Suplexes on HBK, but HBK manages to hit SCM.

Alright then so Three German Suplex won't break the top of the cell but HBK making Benoit fall will ... most likely not work either. And your using it's a scripted match as an argument everyone know it's scripted fact is though saying being kicked will make you fall through a roof is like saying Benoit will come in with a Samurai Sword and cut Shawn in half cause it was scripted

If you don't recognize that Shawn Michaels is one of the most cunning superstars to ever climb in the ring, there's no hope for you. Benoit, on the other hand, has proven to be more of a straight forward guy, and that's not gonna win this match for him. And you want proof that Benoit isn't as bright as Shawn? He uses a diving headbutt as his finisher. That's not doing his brain any favors.

Sorry but I don't recognize it. Isn't Micheals the same guy who decided to splash an opponent through a table instead of just taking the title that sounds quite dumb to me don't know how you see it. Benoit though I've never seen decide that he has the match won and go for the Diving Headbut. If he has to finish a match off so be it but if he has the match won screw it he'll pin you or make you tap out.

Faster than Michaels? No. Stronger, yes. Superior technical abilities is also debatable. Shawn Michaels went stride for stride with Angle in their Wrestlemania match, and while Benoit has had his fair share of matches with Angle, I've never seen him look as impressive as Michaels.

Fine then Micheals is faster I doubt by much. He's inside a cell Speed isn't really that great for you anyhow. Strength though is much better inside a cell allows you to do more damege to your opponent.

Huh, tuning up the band doesn't seem to hurt Shawn's chances of hitting Sweet Chin Music, he's hit it on just about everyone.

Have you ever seen a Shawn Micheals match in your life normally Micheal's misses when he tunes up the band and hit's it later out of nowhere. Watch his matches vs. Taker when he decided to tune up the bank he got caught when he simiply went to SCM him without the stomping he hit it.

Yes it would hurt your chances to stomp on the mat before going for your finishing move and making it obvious to your opponent.

If Shawn superkicked Benoit over the edge, I doubt he'd screw his chances by going for the diving elbow. Also, a missed diving elbow would probably still hurt less than a hit diving headbutt from the top of the cell.

Super Kicking someone off a cell ... Must be the most retarted idea I've heard in my life. Only a complete idiot would go for it cause if you miss your falling off a cell. And like I said Benoit isn't retarted enough to Diving Headbut somebody off a cell when he's already one.

Vote Benoit

Sorry HBK fans, but overlooking Benoit in this match is a rather silly approach. Let's look at HBK's stats, 4 Hell in a Cell matches, now singles wise, he effectively lost both of them but only defeated Taker because of Kane's interference. Now for the other two, it featured DX, the difference maker there is Triple H and in HBK's last Hell in a Cell, Legacy heavily beat him down (yes I know he was handicapped), but it changed when Triple H came back into the Cell.

Point being is that HBK is 50/50 when it comes to cages, but in this sort of environment, he faces Benoit who could be as brutal as the Undertaker in Cell matches. Benoit's had plenty of cage experiences, so writing him off for the Cell is a no no here. Simple matter being is that when you have the technicality of Benoit mixed with brutality, you will suffer. He had one of the best ever cage matches with Kurt Angle in 2001, which he only lost due to interference, but he destroyed Angle and went to great depths to do it. HBK's technique is about slowly down the opponent and getting him off his game, but Benoit's not going to allow him to do that when HBK is trapped inside a Cell.

I will cover more of this later, but the fact is Benoit has HBK's number in this match, end of.

PS - Don't forget The Underking, Benoit has done a headbutt off the top of a cage, he's crazy enough to hit those high risk moves to pull off the win.

If I read JGlass's post correctly, did he just say Benoit didn't have impressive matches with Angle? I'll take any Benoit/Angle match in 2001 and their 2003 rumble match over that overrated spotfest of a WM 21 match. JGlass is in a world where suplexes won't break the cage but SCM will? It must be scripted that Benoit will fall in the same spot.

If I read JGlass's post correctly, did he just say Benoit didn't have impressive matches with Angle? I'll take any Benoit/Angle match in 2001 and their 2003 rumble match over that overrated spotfest of a WM 21 match. JGlass is in a world where suplexes won't break the cage but SCM will? It must be scripted that Benoit will fall in the same spot.

Never said they weren't impressive, I said they weren't AS impressive as Michaels vs. Angle at Wrestlemania 21, which is easily one of my favorite matches ever. Spotfest or no, you can't deny that Shawn Michaels did a superb job of keeping up with Angle, and even beat him at Vengeance 05.

As for the cage roof spot, that's always been a spot. I'm simply envisioning how it would happen, and Benoit would loosen up the roof, but HBK would put him through the roof after a SCM knocks Benoit off his feet and he crashes into the roof.

Michaels obviously has the experience advtange in this type of matches. He competed in the first ever HIAC and currently has a record of 3-1 in the dreaded cell. Benoit on the other hand would be entering a match he has never competed in before.

However, Benoit's aggressive intense style would suit this type of match very well. I could see him being much more vicious than HBK, using the cell as a weapon and slicing Michael's open early on in this one, and beating him within an inch of his life.

Shawn Michaels has faced opponents of all shapes and sizes, and come out on top in most of those matches. He can take more punishment than almost anyone in the business and would definitely be able to more than match Benoit in the cell. We would see Benoit bleeding heavily also as the 2 of them gave us an absolute classic match, including a spot where HBK climbed half way up the side of the cell and then dropped off, nailing Benoit with an elbow drop through the announcers table.

I would expect this one to go more than 30 minutes, but Benoit never quite managed to win the big matches (other than his World Title win), and I see the same thing occuring here. Shawn Michaels with a SCM after 33 minutes after which he collapses onto The Wolverine for the pinfall victory in a bloodbath.

On the brutality level, Benoit has this hands down. Granted he's never been in a Hell in a Cell match in his career, but if you look at it in a general point of view, its a closed cage, and a cage is just it, just bigger and has a roof. I believe Benoit has been in the War Games in WCW before, so he would know about roofed cages. His mentality has always been "The Crippler", and while Shawn is the veteran in Hell in a Cell matches (he's been in 4 of them), I don't believe he can defeat someone as ruthless and dangerous as Benoit, as he has not defeated Triple H, and he sure can't defeat the Undertaker in 1997 if it wasn't for a debuting Kane. If I had to go for someone who has the mean streak of aggression, I would choose Benoit over any day.

My vote: Chris Benoit

I think that I will have to give the edge to Shawn Michaels here. The stipulation favors niether guy here actually. You can talk all day about Benoit's ruthlessness but you cannot deny that HBK has done very well in a hardcore environment against some very ruthless superstars. As far as HIAC experience goes I do not think it is going to matter much as Benoit has no experience and HBK is 1-1 in HIAC matches. In one match he needed outside interference to win the match and in the other match HHH hit him with 3 Pedigrees which is one of the most protected finishers of all time. If HBK can take 3 Pedigrees I am sure he could take anything that Benoit might have at his disposal.

The thing that seals this one for me is Benoit's record versus Shawn. Shawn beat Benoit clean in their first one on one encounter and in the second one Shawn had him beat till HHH interfered. In a One on One match Benoit has not found a way to beat HBK without interference and I do not see it changing in this encounter.

Vote HBK!!!

HBK for me.

Both are great wrestlers but what does Benoit have that HBK doesnt.HBK also has the experience in the HIAC.I can see that both of them bleeding but HBK having a full crimson mask and HBK winning at 55ish minutes after a SCM.

I'm not sure the stipulation really comes into this one, to be honest with you, nor am I sure that this is a match the two of them would ever realistically engage in. Ultimately then it has to come down to the careers of both men. The fact remains that for all but a couple of months Benoit's career was similar to the second half of Michaels' - that of the gallant and trusted veteran who could lose in style against the best wrestlers. However, what Benoit is lacking is any sort of period of sustained dominance, Michaels has that, and he also had the edge over both the Hart brothers, submission specialists like Benoit. Michaels wins.

What makes Shawn Michaels win this match. i would say his general versatility in the ring. Althoug Benoit probaly beneifts from having this contested in Hell in a Cell, I feel Michaels would be able to adapt to his new surroundings ultimately allowing him to recieve a victory.

In general I feel that Shawn Michaels is a very technically sound wrestler who has the ability to take the bigger guys down. He clearly has been in the wrestling business for a very long while and knows how to win. Although Benoit would be more reckless in this matchup I cannot see him pulling up the victory. Just because he can ram somebody into a cage does not mean he necessarily wins. I storngly belive that the Cell does not all that much in boosting Benoit's abilities.

Michaels for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back