Phoenix Region, Miami Subregion: Second Round: (12) Ted DiBiase vs. (5) Chris Benoit

Who Wins This Match

• Ted DiBiase

• Chris Benoit

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a second round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida.

american_airlines_arena2_920_medium.jpg

#12 Ted DiBiase

ted-dibiase.jpg

Vs.

#5 Chris Benoit

lens286448_1229375750001.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

For some reason, I just see an image of Virgil interference and cheating heel tactics in this match and DiBiase pulling out the victory. Don't ask, I couldn't tell you why. Just see it in my head.

Benoit goes over here, Obviously DiBiase will have Virgil, and since Eddie Guerrero has advanced in this tournament I will take he will not be there, but since Malenko and Saturn both lost they will be there to stop Virgil of doing anything, also Benoit would have Terri Runnels.

But onto the match, even DiBiase was quite possibly the greatest heel of all-time(he is defiantly up there), there is no way he beats Benoit. Here's why:

PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2004
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship(4 times)
Royal Rumble (2004)
12th Triple Crown champion

All of those were accomplishments that DiBiase could not do. Benoit was a better in-ring worker kayfabe wise he had more titles under his name.
Non-Kayfabe Benoit would dominate in a technical battle.
I know DiBiase was great(especially as a heel when he tried to buy the championship from Andre was great), but there is no way he goes over one of the best of all time.
Winner: Benoit via crossface at 11:00

There are very few men who are able to wrestle with the ferocity of Chris Benoit, and Ted DiBiase has certainly never faced any of those competitors. Ted DiBiase was a talented wrestler, but Chris Benoit may have been one of the all time greatest when it came to in ring competition. The dude never held anything back, and he used every part of his body to try to destroy every part of his opponent's body.

Heel tactics would be DiBiase's only hope against Benoit, but I don't know how willing Virgil would be to make contact with the Rabid Wolverine, it could result in him losing an eye.

Furthermore, Benoit had a fairly easy go of things against Tenta. I'm sure he had to spend a good bit of energy taking the big man down, but the votes show that Benoit got past him pretty easily. DiBiase, on the other hand, barely got past JBL, and in my mind he probably ate a clothesline from hell that he managed to kick out of after Virgil pulled the referee out of the ring.

Benoit is the better wrestler, the fresher man, and I don't think DiBiase can handle him. My vote goes to Benoit.

I don't know, on the one hand you have Benoit who won the world championship, but he won the WCW and then the WWE when those companies were at their weakest. DiBiase is a man that tended to only lose to the big names, and I'm not sure Benoit is in that tier. While his gimmick was his driving factor, he certainly was no slouch in the ring, and while probably not at Benoit's level in that capacity, he's certainly not significantly worse. This could go either way, but I think DiBiase would win the first match they had.

I just think that Benoit will be to tenacious for Dibiase and his cohorts to overcome. Benoit never shied away from a fight and had no problem taking care out people who tried to interfere in his match. Of course, Virgil will play a factor and Dibiase can certainly steal the victory, I just don't think that he will. Benoit is a great technical wrestler and will tear Dibiase apart en route to getting the submission victory.

Whilst you can never count the Million Dollar Man out, I just don't see anyway through for him. Benoit was a machine, if Ted managed to lock in the Million Dollar Dream - he'd use the turnbuckle to knock DiBiase on his back and create a pinning predicament ala Angle/ Undertaker. He'd have to release or face the 123. The Wolverine was a submission machine - Ted was a mostly cowardly heel. After belly to backs, setting up the Sharpshooter or Crossface - DiBiase is not the guy to suck it up, he'll be tapping like Gene Kelly!

I went Benoit, but not strongly. I guess mostly because in all those random mid-2000PPVs Coco recommended to me Benoit was usually there giving a rock solid match each and every time. Dibiase, on the other hand, was not at those PPVs in the 2000s making an impression on my. Also, his son is just dead weight at this point. Dibiase's, that is.

This is a great match. Obviously Benoit is the Face. This is a match that could go a very believable distance in the time limit area. Ted would be billed from somewhere in the Florida area, but it won't help him be the sentimental favorite. I see both guys hitting their signature moves and when Ted gets Benoit in the "Million Dollar Dream", Benoit pulls some reverse move and ends up with Ted in a pin. Chris Benoit gets the "wrestling" victory over Ted Dibiase.

I think benoit has this one. His intensity in that ring and his technical abilities are enough for him to beat DiBiase. Although Virgil would be at ringside i don't think he would be a brave enough or stupid enough man to try anything with the rabid wolverine. DiBiase would get in some good offence and look like he was about to close in on the victory when BAM!! he gets put into the crossface and taps quite quickly to it.

DiBiase never should've went beyond JBL. But regardless, I can not see him moving any further (either way) now.

Chris Benoit is the better technical wrestler, and the shear fact that most conversations regarding DiBiase even having a chance revolve around how Virgil (or anyone else) could get involved to help him, says it all. People aren't comfortable in saying DiBiase could win this on his own.

What happened to the Tournament match-ups where outside interference was a non-issue? I seem to recall people who voted against Edge a couple years back arguing that he wouldn't have Christian, or La' Familia' or anyone else he's ever been with. Now, suddenly, we're having more discussions on why this guy would go over that guy, not because of their talent or ability - but instead because of who they hung out with and who could/would get involved and help them cheat to win.

Breaking this down, DiBiase can't pay off Benoit and he certainly won't out-wrestle him. Benoit has more stamina than DiBiase has ever showcased, and while both men have great use of submission wrestling - the nod, for me, goes to Benoit based on the fact that he has too many pluses against DiBiase's sub-par wrestling ability. Maybe if this were a debate between the two, DiBiase would roll Mr. Roboto. But because it isn't, Benoit will have DiBiase tapping in no time.

Benoit would destory DiBiase in this match as well as alot of guys in this tournament.

He would have the advantage in a technical standpoint as well as kayfabe standpoint. DiBiase would have no chance in either of those categorys and this match would result in a Benoit win.

This is a tough decision. My instinct is to go with Benoit. He’s been world champion and a multi time IC and US champion. Dibiase did not accomplish that in the WWF. However, I have to take their eras into consideration. Dibiase was a top guy in the late 80s/early 90s during a time when it was nearly impossible to get the world title. If Dibiase competed in the WWF from 2000-2007 I’m sure he would have been world champion at some point; probably multiple times. How would Benoit have fared in 1988? He may have done well and probably would have contended for the IC title but he wouldn’t have come anywhere close to the world title like Dibiase did. I’m going to vote Dibiase here (not any easy decision at all). He managed to remain a big time player when it was harder to do so. Benoit got one world title reign when titles were much easier to come by and when many more guys were getting bigger opportunities.

While DiBiase definitely deserved to go over JBL, I'm not seeing it against Benoit. I may be wrong, but I don't recall DiBiase facing anyone as intense or aggressive as Benoit. Couple that in with his technical prowess, and DiBiase is probably in a lot of trouble here. Benoit is tough enough to deal with Virgil should he decide to stick his nose in.

I'm going Benoit. Sorry, Ted.

DiBiase would obviously go for the heel tactics in order to beat Benoit, but that would do nothing more than piss Benoit off making him even more ferocious, determined and aggressive than he already was.

In that kind of mood, if Benoit his hands on DiBiase, he would not break the hold. If he managed to get The Million Dollar Man in the Crossface...it would be all over.

Also, Virgil would not be a factor in this, Benoit would have The Radicalz at ringside with him to ensure there was no foul play from DiBiase's stooge.

Benoit with a submission victory at 12:00

DiBiase is one of my all time favorites. In the late 80s, there wasn't a better heel to be found anywhere in my opinion. From an in-ring perspective, DiBiase had skills and could put on competitive and entertaining matches.

Benoit was just an animal at times. Like Ricky Steamboat, Benoit never really had much of a personality but his abilities in the ring more than made up for that.

From an athletic pov, Benoit is all over DiBiase. Benoit was always in phenomenal shape and could just go with anybody. DiBiase was definitely the more intelligent and crafty of the two and would be quick to take advantage of any sort of weakness he could find. When it comes to just overall in-ring ability, I have to go with Benoit. He could pretty much do it all in the ring.

DiBiase is one of the greatest to have never been a World Champion, maybe the greatest. Benoit did win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship for one whole day when the company was in the toilet and he won the WHC in the WWE at WM 20 by beating two mega stars like HBK & Triple H. I love DiBiase but the sad truth of it is that DiBiase was someone that made it close to the big one but was never able to pull it off. He always lost to the top guys like Hogan, Savage & Warrior. Benoit's greatest moment was at WM 20 and, let's face it, it's a huge moment that DiBiase himself was never able to obtain.

After a fun, competitive match, Benoit makes DiBiase tap with the Crippler Crossface about the 12 minute mark.

Regardless of how the world championship table reads, Ted Dibiase has had a much better career than Chris Benoit. Chris Benoit was a career midcarder who won the heavyweight championship twice in an era where it was much easier to win a World Championship as compared to the Hogan era.

Dibiase was a main event heel for nearly three years. Benoit was a main eventer for 6 months. Dibiase is a much bigger name in wrestling as compared to Benoit. His stamina is also very underrated. He once survived for 45 minutes in a Royal Rumble match and while Benoit might have survived a longer time, it shows that Dibiase can very well hold his own in a 20 minute time limit match.

As for defeating intense wrestlers, Dibiase has defeated Jake Roberts and Jimmy Snuka in his career and both guys were pretty intense wrestlers. Hell who says this needs to be clean. Dibiase with his brains will probably attack Benoit before the match with Virgil distracting Benoit.

Dibiase wrestled in an era where heels won a lot less as compared to today, not only against a Hogan or a Savage but against most people. He would have achieved lots more had he wrestled in the current eras. He could certainly generate heat of the likes that had never been seen before. Benoit was a career midcarder, a good wrestler and very intense but someone whom most casual fans did not care about.

Vote for Dibiase!!!

Chris Benoit might be the toughest wrestler to ever step foot in the ring. That right their alone is enough to put him over almost anyone in this tournament. Ted had some pretty good matches and was an excellent heel, but, I still can't see him beating Chris Benoit. Benoit wrestled all of the top stars in the company from the time he got there until he left often beating them which is why he goes over DiBiase seeing when Dibiase was placed into a match with a top level opponent he lost. Benoit is that top level opponent 2 world championships, 5 U.S. championships, 4 Intercontinental championships, Triple crown winner, and not to mention he is one of the best gajin in Japanese wrestling history.

Benoit with a Crossface FTW

Another match that I would absolutely love to see. But I am going to have to go with DiBiase. I imagine it going quite a bit like his match with Jake Roberts at WrestleMania VI. Benoit will go for the Crossface several times early in the match, but DiBiase will find a way to escape each time. Some type of heel move will give him the upper hand for a moment, but then Benoit gets pissed off and chases him to the outside. That is where Virgil interferes and DiBiase is able to slap on the Million Dollar Dream on the outside and enter the ring at the count of nine while Benoit gets counted out.

I'm going with DiBiase, but with shady tactics, of course.

Benoit all the way. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the single best worker in North America over the last 20 years was Chris Benoit. So I'm going to wind up voting for him over just about anybody in this tournament probably. Throw in his successful world title reign and you can use the kayfabe argument here as well, as DiBiase was never able to truly capture the world title or really any title outside of the Tag titles while Benoit held more titles probably in the WWE alone than DiBiase did in his entire career.

Benoit, next round.

There is no doubt in my mind that Chris Benoit is the better of the two wrestlers here. He is more physically gifted. He is more technically sound. He accomplished more in his career than DiBiase did. I liked him far more throughout his career. I think in a match between these two, Benoit would be the one expected to win, and fairly easily.

Having said this, bearing IC's editorial column in mind, I still absolutely refuse to throw my support behind the Crippler. I will refuse to vote for him throughout the entire tourney, and in my opinion, with all due respect to the organizers of the tournament, he has no business even being in the event.

DiBiase was a good wrestler with a legendary heel character. He was not inducted into the Hall of Fame for no reason. But for me, this is more of a vote against Chris Benoit than it is a vote for the Million Dollar Man. And this is from a Canadian perspective.

Chris Benoit is one of the best technicians in the ring I have ever been graced to watch all the outside life is rendered useless in this tournament. Chris was aggressive, highly physical and could mount offence from every inch of the ring turnbuckle, apron, in the ring, etc. Chris was highly talented and well traveled.

I hear people saying he won the title at it's weakest state but (Kayfabe) he beat HBK and Triple H in the same match to lift the championship this was after coming in first in the 2004 Royal Rumble and taking thew whole thing.

I know this might sound bad but even with Virgil, The Million Dollar Man doesn't stand a chance and the votes show that Chris would have dominated him.

Voted Benoit.

I've read such great arguments from everyone I am just lost for answers right now. There are a number of variables to consider on both sides. So much can be said for these two, probability is not the easiest thing to predict in this match.

It seems to me that it comes down to two things. Either it's the heel tactics and crafty ring work that wins it for Dibiase, or Chris Benoit's pure ability and tenacity. That really just puts it up in the air ya know.

I think that it might come down to this: Either man wins, in their respective time period. If it were the old WWF days and the guy facing Dibiase was Chris Benoit in his prime, I think Dibiase wins. If it were the WCW-WWE than the reality of Benoit's ability easily prevails. I think that's a fair answer. The question however beckons a decision so that decision must be met.

My conscience just won't let me vote against Benoit here. That might sound funny but get this. He was that good in the ring and his ability was probably second to none. The Million Dollar Man character was a bigger personality than Chris Benoit, that I have no doubt of. The investment the WWF put in to Ted Dibiase to bring that character to life, to me shows that they thought very highly of him, and that he had the skills to take on everybody which he did. Not always the winner, but he faced them all through one means or another. It can also not be forgotten that they basically gave him his own title, and arguably the most spectacular title to date. You can go on and on about the classic moments with the Million Dollar Man, but that's where the gravy train stops. In the ring, in a match, calling it fairly and realistically, Benoit being so much better a technical wrestler for real and in kayfabe would equal his eventual submission victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back