Over the Limit 2012: Layla (c) VS Beth Phoenix [Divas Championship]

1truefan

Wrestling analyst Diva expert
When Beth Phoenix lost the WWE Divas Championship to Nikki Bella on the April 23 edition of Raw SuperShow, The Glamazon severely sprained her left ankle.

But that wasn’t enough to keep Phoenix down. Less than a week later, she was set to face Nikki for the butterfly-emblazoned title at Extreme Rules … or so she thought. Before her match at Extreme Rules, Phoenix learned she was not medically cleared to compete.

With The Glamazon out of the picture, Layla stunned the WWE Universe by returning from injury to capture the WWE Divas Championship from Nikki at Extreme Rules.

Layla’s shocking return was the culmination of a long road to recovery after suffering an injury in 2011. Immediately after her victory, an exuberant and glowing champion did not mince words about her plans. “I’m going to dominate,” she said in a WWE.com Exclusive Video.

But Layla’s return is not sitting well with The Glamazon.

“I’m going to bust her other knee, and make sure that she goes away and never comes back,” Phoenix said in a recent emotional interview with WWE.com. “She has no idea what she has gotten herself into.”

With tensions continuing to mount between the two, their clash was officially announced on May 7 on WWE.com.

At WWE Over the Limit, will The Glamazon find a way to reclaim the title she held for just over six months? Or, will Layla fight to keep what she has earned just as hard as she fought to rehab from from her injury? Tune in Sunday, May 20, live on pay-per-view at 8 ET / 5 PT.

What are your thoughts on this match up?

I love this match up as I feel because of story lines with A.J & Eve and Natalya being lost in the shuffle this is the next best option for Beth outside of Kharma. Layla has been booked fairly strong since her return and honestly I see her reign as champion moving well past OTL. We are all still waiting to see return of Kharma ( which I'm not holding my breath for) which should be the next feud after this. Beth (as good as she is) needs to step away and refresh her character a maybe rejoin the title hunt later in the summer. I expect Layla to come out of this match looking stronger than ever.

My prediction: Winner and still Divas Champion LAYLA!!!

What about this scenario?

The match never happens at Over The Limit, because Eve once again refuses to medically clear Beth to compete. She throws a fit and perhaps even lays her hands on Eve, leading to Eve "firing" Beth. In the meantime, Kharma returns at the PPV in Beth's place, and squashes Layla to become the new Champion.

Throughout the rest of the summer and fall, Kharma terrorizes the divas division. No diva can beat her. After Elimination Chamber '13, Kharma talks about how she's beaten every single diva WWE can throw at her, and how they've all failed... leading to Eve's announcement that WWE has resigned the one diva who can beat Kharma once and for all. Cue Beth's music, crowd goes nuts. At WrestleMania 29, Beth and Kharma have an epic encounter (for a divas match, anyway) where Beth wins, finally knocking Kharma off the mountain. All of the divas celebrate with Beth in the ring and we have an awesome WrestleMania Moment as the divas division is "reclaimed" from Kharma by Beth Phoenix.

As far as Over The Limit, that's my prediction. The match ends up as Layla vs. Kharma and Kharma wins the title in a short contest. Layla gets her rematch at the next PPV, has a longer match, comes closer to beating Kharma but still falls in the end.

I like that scenario would be great if it all played out that way. My hope is that they allow Kharma to re-debut (however and whenever that may be)in an even more impactful way than she did before.

as much as id love to see khrama return im not holding out any hope of that happening clearly shes taking all the time she damn well feels like to "get over her babys death in the womb" so im gonna pick layla to retain the title over beth and remain champion.

I wouldn't see the point in Phoenix winning the title back just yet, but stranger things have happened. I will say Layla wins because of Beth's "injury," making Layla look good with Beth not looking to bad.

My Grandma is dead set on Michelle McCool returning. It could be interesting. She could come back and help Layla out, or screw her over. Either would be interesting and I think great for the division, but I don't see it happening.

Layla. It's too soon to take the belt off of her. She JUST came back and losing the title this soon would kill anything her return gave her in terms of a career from this point forward.

My Grandma is dead set on Michelle McCool returning. It could be interesting. She could come back and help Layla out, or screw her over. Either would be interesting and I think great for the division, but I don't see it happening.

Your grandmother and I both think Michelle McCool returning is a possibility then. I'm more of the belief that it will be very short return though. Only until Summerslam. There are no legitimate heels in the Diva's division without Beth and Natalya. By the way, what IS Nattie doing? Is she a face? A heel? Once Beth is gone, who is left for Layla to face that makes booking sense? Turn someone heel? Tamina possibly? Maxine isn't ready. Eve has moved on to bigger, better things and certainly doesn't need to wrestle anymore. The Bellas are gone. Face vs face would be a cop out on behalf of the "creative" team. Kharma returning now would be a throw away of a title reign for Layla. Bringing back McCool for a couple PPV's makes excellent booking sense. "Flawless" is still relatively fresh for fans to remember and the beef these competitors should have between each other for Layla beating McCool over a year ago to "end her career" is still palpable. This "lengthy" feud would leave the door open for Kharma to return at Summerslam after a match with McCool.

Hey! What is THIS? A divas title match between two divas who can actually work a match? Is this even possible? I am impressed.

Ok so with that out of the way, now for the analysis on the match. I'm thinking that it will be much better than most divas matches and surely better than any in recent memory. Layla is going to retain because she just got the title so it would be pointless for her to lose it this soon and it would also help her build more credibility as champion to defeat Beth. I wonder if Kharma will interfere.... She has to be coming back soon and I can see her being the next contender for Layla.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Layla will retain the Divas Championship.

I think Layla's going to win this, I don't see any point in having her return take the title off nikki and then lose it right after to the former champ.They should of just went with Kharma at extreme rules instead of layla lol.

I more more in depth on the whole divas situation and my prediction for this match in this video I posted up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_GFO2ZI74
[youtube]SC_GFO2ZI74[/youtube]

Hey! What is THIS? A divas title match between two divas who can actually work a match? Is this even possible? I am impressed.

Ok so with that out of the way, now for the analysis on the match. I'm thinking that it will be much better than most divas matches and surely better than any in recent memory. Layla is going to retain because she just got the title so it would be pointless for her to lose it this soon and it would also help her build more credibility as champion to defeat Beth. I wonder if Kharma will interfere.... She has to be coming back soon and I can see her being the next contender for Layla.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Layla will retain the Divas Championship.

The only reason I don't think Kharma will interfere is because they've done a pretty poor job booking Layla since she won the belt. She's fought one match and saved Alicia Fox from Beth Phoenix. That's it right? Maybe I missed something but the point is still there. If they want her to become a fairly decent champion at all, where the crowd can get behind her more, she has to win this match without any interference.

No matter how though, I definitely see her retaining. Probably a rollup. That's how everyone seems to beat Beth Phoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back