On This Day In Wrestling History

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Brain

King Of The Ring
With the beginning of the new year I thought it would be a good idea to have an almanac type thread commemorating certain events in wrestling history. Obviously some dates are going to be very insignificant compared to others but let's see how many dates there are where we can mention at least a little something and how long we can keep this going. This is not my private thread and I'm not going to go out of my way to research anything so feel free to chime in if you want to mention something. Just don't get ahead of yourself and wait for the actual date before mentioning something. For the purpose of this thread I want to mention the dates that events aired on television if something happened at a tv taping.

January 1

The WWF Raw Bowl. This was a football themed four corners elimination match. It featured The Smoking Gunns vs. Owen Hart & Yokozuna vs. Razor Ramon & Savio Vega vs. Sid & The 123 Kid. The canvas was made to look like a football field and each team wore a football jersey. Also each team was allowed one time out at any point during the match. And of course with Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler on commentary we got plenty of football puns and references. To the best of my knowledge this was the first ever four corners tag team elimination match in WWF history.

[YOUTUBE]Gr84F0pJQwE[/YOUTUBE]

Happy Birthday:

The_Mouth_of_the_South.jpg

January 2

Hulk Hogan successfully defends the WWF title against King Kong Bundy on Saturday Night's Main Event. After the match he is attacked by Andre The Giant. It takes several wrestlers to pull Andre off Hogan.

[YOUTUBE]xbr07gCFj_w[/YOUTUBE]

2nd January.

The wedding of Al Wilson and Dawn Marie.

January 3

Hulk Hogan defends the WWF title against Paul Orndorff in a steel cage on Saturday Night's Main Event. The match is not without controversy as Hogan and Orndorff both exit the cage at the same time with each being declared the winner by different referees. The match is ordered to continue and Hogan goes on to win. Surprisingly I could not find a video of the match on youtube.

[YOUTUBE]eyIEEhKjveM[/YOUTUBE]

Triple H defeats The Big Show on Raw to win his third WWF championship.

January 4

Shotgun Saturday Night debuts and we see the WWF starting to go in a new direction which would become the Attitude Era.

Mick Foley wins his first WWF title by pinning The Rock thanks to some help from Stone Cold Steve Austin. It was one of the greatest moments to ever take place on Raw and one of the best crowd pops of all time.

[YOUTUBE]TbZllc-7sn8[/YOUTUBE]

Hulk Hogan pins Kevin Nash to win the WCW title in the infamous "fingerpoke of doom" incident.

[YOUTUBE]Di2DX_3KStQ[/YOUTUBE]

Bret Hart makes his return to WWE by appearing on Raw for the first time since 1997.

[YOUTUBE]6INxTFKRVu8[/YOUTUBE]

January 5

Jim Cornette brings the NWA NorthAmerican title to the WWF. Jeff Jarrett defeats Barry Windham to become the champion.

[YOUTUBE]mdYOzrSFwxw[/YOUTUBE]

I told you guys it's going to be tough to find something significant for each day. We'll see how long this can last before having to skip a day. Anyone is free to contribute if you know of something I haven't mentioned.

Meant to post before RA did but my laptop switched off on me before I could hit submit.

January 6th

[youtube]KEUYLGBubHQ[/youtube]

January 8

Edge cashes in the first ever MITB briefcase and wins the WWE title from John Cena after Cena successfully defended the title in an Elimination Chamber match. It set the precedent for a surprise cash in on a vulnerable champion which is still a major storyline today.

[YOUTUBE]a_2H6vIZR4g[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry about the video. Going from color to black and white is horribly obnoxious.

January 9

Triple H wins the vacated Heavyweight title in an Elimination Chamber at New Year's Revolution.

[YOUTUBE]CCnK-ap7ZLU[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back