4842 on 6-27-11

Which Date Would Have Attracted The Most Users?

• 2-18-85: War to Settle the Score kicks of WM1

• 2-7-87: Andre turns heel by challenging Hogan for WM3

• 2-5-88: Twin ref controversy causes Hogan title

• 8-?-91: Bobby Heenan brings NWA title on WWF tv and announces Ric Flair's arrival

• 6-?-94: Hulk Hogan signs with WCW

• 7-7-96: NWO is formed as Hogan turns heel

• 11-9-97: Montreal Screwjob

• 5-23-99: Owen Hart dies in the ring

• 3-26-01: Vince McMahon appears on Nitro and purchases WCW

• 3-25-02: Brand extension/first draft

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Brain

King Of The Ring
That's how many users were online here after CM Punk's famous "shoot" on Raw last summer. I'm wondering what events could have potentially attracted more people to the site had it existed back in 1985. I don't know the history of this site as it pertains to crashes and relaunches but I've never seen anyone with a join date prior to 2006 (except Jake who joined in 1969). I'll just assume that most of us who are active now were not on here prior to 2006. I chose 1985 because not many of us are familiar with wrestling in the pre mania days.

I've listed ten major dates in wrestling history in the poll above. Which of these dates do you think would have drawn the most users to the site and would it have drawn more than 6-27-11? If you vote other please specify. I know my list is WWF heavy but that's what I know. If I've left off a key NWA/WCW date let me know. Also this is a quick list I gathered off the top of my head so I might think of more choices later.

Yeah that Hogan turning heel thing really jumped out at me. Always plausible but damn unthinkable to anybody in their right mind. Amazing moment.

It's such a tough choice. I'm leaning toward Hogan turning heel, Montreal, or Vince on Nitro. I don't want to underestimate Heenan bring the WCW title on WWF tv either. Imagine that happening in the internet age.

Any other suggested dates if I create this thread in non spam? I'll give it a better title too in case that number and date don't register with people.

I voted for Vince on Nitro even though that never happened. I think a key part of the Punk thing was that it was on tv so I will give Shane coming out on Nitro the edge over Bash at the Beach.

Maybe 1/4/1999 or 9/27/1999

Don't know if being on TV would have mattered with Bash at the Beach.

The thing is for a month there was a mysterious 3rd man so people would have been anxious to find out.

When it happened to be hogan though that number would have ballooned big time. So in essence you are getting 2 waves of people. A big wave waiting to find out who was with Hall and Nash and a bigger wave of people after they found out it was Hogan.

I just think TV is much more likely to produce simultaneous log in for the same reason. If ever there was a PPV event that could have done it that would be that one but I am still skeptical. With the Nitro appearance you still get 2 waves, one from the audience of each show.

That's true but also something like Hogan turning heel could garner interest with fans outside of wrestling as well because of how big Hogan was.

Also I think the build gets a lot of points as well, I didn't even know Vince bought WCW until a few hours before RAW because I think it happened the day before, also WCW's audience wasn't big at the time.

I voted for Vince on Nitro even though that never happened. I think a key part of the Punk thing was that it was on tv so I will give Shane coming out on Nitro the edge over Bash at the Beach.

Maybe 1/4/1999 or 9/27/1999

I hate to say it but 9/27/1999 does not stand out to me. What happened on that day?

I know that this is your life segment got a huge tv audience but I don't know that it would have translated to a big forum turnout. I don't think that would have generated discussion like the other dates I've listed. The 1/4/99 is a good suggestion with the fingerpoke of doom and Foley's first title win coming on the same day.

Don't know the date but when Austin quit WWE could have given some good discussion.

4-1-2001: Wrestlemania 17 when Austin joins McMahon. Although this was something some fans wish to forget I remember having a lot of people talk to me about it the next day at school.

Yeah I went with Montreal because it would've been big internet talk in muhc the same way Punk was and even more so as we anticiapted what would happen in and around the Survivor Series PPV with two guys who were legit coming to blows.

I think overall (like a 40 hour period) more people would have visited for Owen's death but since it was on PPV there would not have been such a significant moment where everyone was on at once. Also, due to all of the stupid shit people would have said most would not stick around too long.

I voted for the last Nitro. A lot of people watched and Shane's surprise would have gotten all of the marks and smarks excited to read, discuss and speculate.

How about Goldberg over Hogan?

I'm leaning with the Montreal Screwjob. The hogan thin was big, but everyone knew something big was going to happen. The Screwjob just came out of nowhere. I was around on the net back then and it was pretty damn nasty.

Of all of the choices listed, I went with the Hogan heel turn. I can only imagine how the Wrestlezone forums would have lit up after seeing the man who was a super-face, a focal point of the company, a man who people thought could never, ever experience a heel turn, shock the world with an unexpected heel turn which turned the wrestling world upside down. No one saw it coming, people thought it could never happen, yet it did.

Another date which could be considered as an option in this poll is 04/01/2012.

Montreal screwjob.

There would have been a database crash the day after the Montreal screwjob if this place had exist back then. It was the first of it's kind. The front page of Wrestlezone would have breaking news after breaking news: HBK submits Bret to win title in midst of controversy; Vince screws Bret; Bret Hart knocks out Vince McMahon; Shawn Michaels denies involvement; Hart refused to lose in Canada; Bret Hart to appear on Raw tonight?; Bret Hart to WCW; the list goes on and on and on. The entire site from top to bottom would be nothing but Montreal screwjob news for days and weeks on end.

I can understand thinking Vince buying WCW...but every wrestling fan and their mother knew that WCW was on it's final legs and that they were being sold. Vince buying them out was huge...but I think the Montreal screwjob which is STILL being talked about today in almost every wrestling discussion was the bigger deal. Hogan turning heel would be right up there too....but for the internet wrestling smarks, you can't compare a wrestling angle to a real life incident. Screwjob wins hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back