Old School UK Crowds

Moneyinc

Occasional Pre-Show
So I was watching One Night Only 1997 last night. The crowd was exceptionally hot which always makes me enjoy a pay per view more. Starts off with HHH vs Dude Love and it was a decent match but the crowd was pretty up for it. I fast forwarded through a couple lame ones and get to Owen Hart vs Vader. WHY IN THE HELL is the UK crowd so over for Owen Hart? Haha it is so great. He comes out to a huge pop(im sure he was expecting some cheers)and then by the end of his entrance he couldn't wipe the huge smile off his face. It is almost like at first he tried to be normal heel owen, and then he realizes that the fans are going wild for him. He looks so damn happy here and it is just great to see Owen so over when he was such a great heel. Also one of his better matches ever would have loved to see him win but I just knew he wasn't going to pin vader.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5e3pu_owen-hart-vs-vader_creation?search_algo=2#.UQwEhej0Q7A

My question is why were the Hart's so over in the UK when they were huge heels in the WWF? Is wrestling still hugely popular in the UK or has the crowd changed with the product?

It's due in part to the British Bulldog being a member of the Hart Foundation. The other part is that Bret Hart more or less stated he was only a heel in the US so I guess by proxy the same applied for Owen

Yea I figured it had to do with Davey Boy but UK seems to be a smarter more unpredictable crowd usually.

When i saw this thread i was expecting at least one mention of Kendo Nagasaki... But in answer to your question i think crowds over here are generally more receptive than the average American audience quite simply because we don't get as much of it over here. The demand is still there as seen by attendances for WWE and TNA events over here plus TV ratings, but for some reason there has been no real concerted effort to capitalise on it. Plus.... Owen Hart was ace!

I'm from the UK (England to be more specific) and at the time although The Hart Foundation were heels in the USA they were still beloved throughout the rest of the world. As another poster said Davey Boy had a lot to do with, if you watch the main event of One Night Only the crowd almosts riots when HBK beats Bulldog for the European title. Also as we only tended to get WWF shows once a twice a year we would react to everything we were excited they had come. To answer the OP's other question, wrestling is still popular in the UK but nowhere near as popular as it was when I was a child (I'm 31). WWE is available only on Sky Sports which is a subscription service you have to pay for, and WWE programmes typically draw around a 100,000 viewers for Raw and Smackdown and considerably less for the others. On the other hand TNA is available on Challenge which is part of Freeview (UK's free to air digital TV). They show both Impact and the ppv's and is the highest rated programming on Challenge with audiences ranging from 200,000 to 250,000 viewers and a recent Impact drew 277,000 which for a UK audience watching wrestling thats huge. There is still a strong fanbase in the UK but it is not as mainstream as it once was

WWE isn't huge in England but everyone knows what it is-but mainly you get the piss taken out of you if you watch it. I think UK crowds are hot because we get what? 1-2 televised shows a year.

There was a distinct pantomime feel to the last house show i attended (Glasgow), there's still a big carny streak in UK cities and we will cheer loud for the babyfaces and boo the hell out of the heels even when they do the most basic schtick that would get practically no reaction in the US.

I saw some curtain jerker job to the heel of the month and the crowd was completely behind him and cheered him because they knew what was going on, like "yeah we've never heard of this dude but he's the good guy so we need to cheer loud and do our job" whereas in the States it is entirely over saturated and people stopped taking part in the pantomime aspect decades ago and will only cheer for established guys and will only boo the most heinous of acts (or someone trashing their local sports team.)

I will say that when I visited the states and went to Raw house shows there was a much more sporting atmosphere which was kind of more enjoyable than back home. It was more relaxed and the number of smart fans was way higher, it kind of felt like everyone was just hanging out, whereas the UK shows seem more like theatre and you feel awkward screwing around and starting goofy chants and such.

It has more to do with Bret's time in the UK on World Of Sport. He was known even before the Hart Foundation days in the UK and his popularity only grew. You have to remember, no-one even really "knew" he was Davey's bro-in-law till WWE used it for Summerslam but then by extension he was "one of ours".

You have to also bear in mind, Bret was insanely popular EVERYWHERE outside America, a lot of foreign tours wouldn't be booked without him part of them. I can only see it as him being more the "everyman" than the cartoon/monsters wrestling was about and particularly WWF at the time. British Wrestling was very much based on ordinary, blue collar guys who worked day jobs taking matters into their hands at weekends, and he appealed to that.

WWE isn't huge in England but everyone knows what it is-but mainly you get the piss taken out of you if you watch it. I think UK crowds are hot because we get what? 1-2 televised shows a year.

I know how that feels, im always constantly been taken the piss out of because of my love for wrestling especially at work.

Every couple of months the local labour club host the british wrestling with their top stars being Mad Dogg Maxx & Joey Starr, and one of the lads at work said (just after I got back from Miami)

"why travel halfway across the world to watch men fondle each other in their pants when you can watch it here at the club not 10 minutes away for a tenner"

But going back to One Night Only......

I was in attendance for ONL & I was surprised on how much Owen Hart did get the over pops from the crowd.

And especially from this one woman sitting next to me during Undertaker vs Bret Hart, drowning my earholes with her shouting encouragements towards Bret.

Wrestling has always had a real following, it was fascinating to see the BBC documentary a few weeks back about a televised match that got millions of viewers in the UK. At one point World Of Sport was as much a part of British weekend culture as a Sunday Roast.

I would have been about 6 when I met my first wrestler at Burton Latimer Annual Fair - It was Fit Finlay when he was a heel with Princess Paula and while they clearly had to kayfabe around the adults and play up to his image he still took the time for at least a wink to the kids. For a tiny village in Northants it was a pretty big star to be coming and people came out to see him (we also had another couple of local guys like Blondie Barrett)

The "grannies with their handbags" or women like Diligaf describe were always there and it was as much part of the show as the smoke and pintglasses. It was normal to have "local" wrestlers - people your dad worked with or knew from the pub, especially the 70's and early 80's. Where a lot of the "mick taking" came was for liking the WWF-American style as that was more "ballet dancing" where as the UK sport still had some semblance of a contest with rounds etc.

ONL was perhaps the last major show we had of it's PPV size and quality, after that we tended to get lesser shows with questionable guest appearances... I can remember attending when Vinnie Jones was the "guest enforcer" doing his "Big Chris" gimmick from Lock Stock... rubbish run in and an "It's been emotional" and the card was pretty bad but as ever, the crowd lapped it up.

The kind of pops Owen and their ilk got from British fans isn't surprising as they always were drawn to cheer handsome, younger, exciting workers - hence why Davey Boy Smith was always so popular and Summerslam 92 was such a big deal - it wasn't because he was the British Bulldog in the WWF, or even part of the tag team but he had been on our screens since he was 15 as Young David teaming with Big Daddy, that he had gone on to be a star just added. Dads could take their kids and remember going to see Young David now headlining Wembley - Most England football games don't get near what that show got.

One thing that struck me one of the last RAW's I attended was how people I talked to on the night thought it odd that Ric Flair was SO over. I went to the Battle Royale At The Albert Hall in 91 and he was massively over then as well. Whenever British fans see someone who was that good, be they blue-eye or heel, British or American they would always respond...

Even now the independent scene is not huge in the UK, many shows I have seen recently are populated with guys who don't lack any desire to put on the best show they can but the scale, budgets and small crowds they draw will always make it seem "bush league". It's interesting that one of the better prospects on NXT is Paige/Brittani Knight who is part of perhaps the closest the UK has to the Hart family.

Personally I think TNA could do far worse than open a UK branch - get some guys like Burchill and Finlay involved with some name recognition and get a regular show onto Challenge - the TNA stuff at the moment is doing great guns,a UK regular promotion would at least raise the prospects for those who are putting shows on and working to improve and some of the cash/exposure could then trickle down and raise their production values and thus crowds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back