NWA's Fame And Ric Flair.

Ferbian

Has Returned.
In 1991 Ric Flair left the NWA-WCW due to problems with the Vice President of WCW Jim Herd, who wanted to change Ric Flair's gimmick from The Nature Boy to a Roman Gladiator (Spartacus like) Gimmick, and drop the belt to Lex Luger.

Ric Flair was against this. He complained about it, and ultimately left WCW to go to WWF. The problem was that Ric Flair was still recognized as NWA-WCW World Heavyweight Champion when he walked into the locker rooms of WWF.

This opened up for one of the bigger storylines in wrestling history. The famous "Real World Champion" storyline that had Ric Flair, Bobby Heenan and Mr. Perfect involved in it, flashing the Big Gold Belt.

What allowed this was due to the fact that Ric Flair hadn't gotten his championship deposit of $25.000 + interest, which a champion pays when he becomes NWA champion.

As mentioned, Ric Flair appeared on WWF tapings, flashing the belt, feuding with numerous people. The belt was censored on-screen for the most of it, but nonetheless it was displayed.

Due to this NWA and WCW suffered a major blow in popularity, people wanted to watch Ric Flair, because he was the bigger draw of WCW and NWA, people wanted to watch Flair vs Hogan (which was only given at house shows due to booking problems).

So it had me wondering:

What if Ric Flair never appeared on WWF tapings at all? Much less with the actual Big Gold Belt?

What if Ric Flair had stayed with NWA and WCW, not changing his gimmick?

Had all this never happened, would NWA still be popular?

Great thread!!

What if Ric Flair never appeared on WWF tapings at all? Much less with the actual Big Gold Belt?
His WWF run wasn't really that good was it, but it sure did make people watch WWF due to his popularity, also being with the big gold belt, it must have gotten people talking, saying flair has appeared on a rival promotion with a different belt...But tbh I don't think it really mattered, he never stayed at the WWF for that long and after a year the big gold belt was back on WCW tv in no time..I have to admit, NWA-WCW did suffer at the time he went to WWF..

What if Ric Flair had stayed with NWA and WCW, not changing his gimmick?
It was clear they wanted his gimmick changed..but if he had stayed..would he have dropped the title to Luger? maybe, who knows? if he had stayed WCW popularity would have stayed the same...

Had all this never happened, would NWA still be popular?
No..WCW eventually withdrew from NWA in 92, was it? I think from the time they withdrew, NWA kinda went downhill..I don't think NWA is very popular now, nor is the NWA heavueweight title, they tried to make it look good when TNA was with NWA, but then that discontinued in 2007...Hopefully, now NWA will just be remembered from what they gave us from 1960's to 1980's...

Interesting scenario and topic here. However, I'm gonna disagree with your thinking that this could've greatly changed the wrestling landscape in regards to the NWA.

I'll start by answering your three questions.

1. What if Ric Flair hadn't appeared for the WWF at all?

Well it would be disappointing and the speculation is endless, but it also wouldn't have made much of a difference. With Flair not around as your top heel, you still had the likes of Ted Dibiase, Jake Roberts, the Undertaker to take over the top heel spot. Or they could've turned Sid heel earlier. Or even possibly bring Savage back as a heel. I liked how the WWF turned out with Flair as the top heel from late 1991 through 1992. Perhaps instead of the Roberts/Savage feud, they could've put Jake as Taker's backer/handler so to speak and have him feud with Hogan. A Roberts circa-1991/Hogan feud would've been gold. Or they could've repushed Dibiase as a top heel as he could always go.

Ultimately I think even without Flair the WWF would've still evolved to what it did. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels would've rose to the top and the New Generation would've came forth with most of the mainstays of the '80s/early '90s WWF era moving on (ala Hogan, Warrior, Piper, Roberts, Rude, Perfect, Slaughter, Snuka, etc.).

2. What if Ric Flair had stayed with the WCW/NWA instead

I don't think much would've changed there either although a few things could've been different. One, the Dangerous Alliance might not have formed due to Flair being around to keep the Four Horsemen going. Although that stable might have formed anyway so there could be two top heel stables which would've been a first in that time period (as this would've been about 5-6 years before the "Gang Warfare" period in the WWF). Another difference was that Vader may not have rose to the top. It was largely the absence of Flair as the top heel that allowed the spot for Vader to become the #1 heel in WCW. So that might've been a big change. Other than though, I think WCW as it was in 1992 would've been about the same with Flair on board. Although it probably would've been Flair and Sting feuding for the title again in 1992 instead of Sting/Vader. Or perhaps Vader could've risen anyway and an alliance could've been formed with Flair to take out your Stings, Davey Boy Smiths, Lugers (who may not have went to the WWF with Flair still being around), Cactus Jacks, Ricky Steamboats, etc.

3. Would the NWA still be popular had Flair never came to the WWF with the NWA title?

This question has a simple answer, no it wouldn't have. Flair going to the WWF with the NWA belt I don't feel played much, if any role in the downfall of the NWA (downfall is the correct word as the NWA is still technically around today, just not nearly as prominent obviously). While it might have hurt the image a bit, WCW was already on it's way to separating itself from the NWA, and WCW was quickly rising to the top as the 2nd top promotion in America. By the early '90s the NWA was largely forgotten and not paid attention to by the wrestling press and wrestling fans. I would say even the independent promotions like the USWA, the UWF, and Smokey Mountain Wrestling received more press and coverage.

The NWA declined because it's era had simply passed. The NWA's formation in 1948 pretty much created the territory system. All of your promotions throughout the country from Florida Championship Wrestling, to World Class Championship Wrestilng, to Mid-Atlantic wrestling, to Georgia Championship Wrestilng, to Stampede Wrestling, were all apart of the NWA. Even the WWF started out in the NWA. The NWA dominated wrestling from 1948 to the early 1980's, because the NWA pretty much was the entire landscape of American pro wrestling. Other than the AWA and the WWWF, pretty much all wrestling in America was under the NWA banner. Hence it's dominance.

But then in the early 1980's when the WWF revolutionized wrestling, the AWA briefly became a more public well known promotion, and when many of the wrestling territories went out of business, the NWA lost it's power and prestige. By the mid '80s the majority of the famous territories had went out of business and it was really only Mid-South wrestling, Mid-Atlantic and Georgia Championship Wrestling that were keeping the NWA afloat. This eventually evolved into WCW, and by the late '80s you could almost say that WCW pretty much was the NWA as most of the notable territories of the NWA were gone. Some new ones started up throughout the early '90s and even into today, but because the WWF became such a dominant promotion and came to be recognized as the true benchmark and definitive pro wrestling promotion, and because WCW eventually became it's own promotion, the NWA had nothing left really to carry it.

The biggest promotions from 1990-1996 were the WWF, WCW/NWA, ECW/NWA, Smokey Mountain Wrestling, and the USWA.

The WWF was obviously it's own promotion. WCW was moving away and eventually did. Smokey Mountain Wrestling was it's own promotion. And the USWA was promoted and run by Jerry Lawler and Jerry Jarrett, I believe on their own.

ECW was a promising organization that was somewhat keeping the NWA afloat (not by much but a little). And then Shane Douglas's speech announcing the formation of the real ECW we came to know and love also really hurt the NWA, much worse than Flair's showing of the title on WWF Wrestling Challenge or Superstars. ECW in my view could've been the NWA's last real hope, but when they severed their ties with the NWA and went on to become the biggest cult wrestling promotion in American pro wrestling history, the NWA was pretty much lost for good (as far as being one of the top promotions in the country. TNA was another one that managed to bring some spotlight back to the NWA but they also became their own promotion a few years ago, so now the NWA is back to being mostly independent wrestling with very little name value (in promotions and wrestlers).

The NWA was so powerful because virtually all of the notable promotions and wrestlers in American wrestling over a 40 year period were associated with it. The NWA lost it's power when too many promotions had successful runs on their own.

All of the major wrestling promotions over the last 20 years were either their own promotions, or promotions that started out under the NWA banner only to go their own ways and become their own organizations.

The NWA will never again reach the heights it was at until a big amount of wrestling promotions become serious contenders to the throne of the biggest wrestling company in America, companies, mind you, that start out and stay under the NWA banner and stay associated with the NWA.

So Flair's parading around of the NWA title on WWF shows was certainly not what brought down the NWA. It was the decline of the territory system, the system that the NWA largely created, that brought the NWA down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back