Better Ric Flair protege: Triple H or A.J. Styles??

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
Ever since the death of WCW (the old NWA), "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair's legendary wrestling career has been in limbo as far as the factor of Ric Flair being world champion again in any promotion.

When he came back to the WWF/E in late 2001 Flair's role there at first was to entertain as the storyline part owner of the then WWF. But when the "wrestling bug" bit into Ric as we all know, he had to give it one more run towards the world title. And he had that chance for a good 9 months before the birth of "the Ric Flair clone" was born in Triple H. WWE creative team on RAW paired the two up as a 1-2 punch combanation as a tribute to Ric Flair's hayday's in the 1980's in NWA.

The two had/has similar style's as far as there in-ring wrestling style's. Triple H had started wearing suits & ties much like Ric Flair. And of course started the successful faction that was Evolution up, which produced future (world) champions much like the four horsemen did in the 80's. Only Triple H was leader this time around in this world of wrestling era. Where Ric Flair was Hunter's right-hand-man, Ric was more look up on as just another lackie to a heel stable.

We all know the rest is history after the dynasty that was Evolution!

But now that the nature boy's back "down south" in wrestling with TNA, he's back in a familar role. The mentor of current TNA world champion A.J. Styles. TNA fooled me with this move. This is just something I throw around with in my mind as just a silly thought. "A.J. Styles as Ric Flair's new protege"! Wow-Hulk Hogan must be heavy into drinking now adays in TNA?

But the thing is Ric Flair & A.J. Styles have two diffrent styles as the be figure in wrestling! There look, there wrestling styles, there mic work, and there's a big age gap there in generation honors. I don't think it's a good fit personally. Ric Flair deserves better treatment then that in my opinion. But my question to the wise is, who was the better Ric Flair protege, or even the better pair Triple H or A.J. Styles??

Triple H, hands down. During the 2000s, Triple H's "The Game" heel persona was among the best in wrestling, particularly the first half of the decade. He may have been in the title picture too often and too long, but he was damn good at what he did. "The Game" was this arrogant control freak that combined aspects of a strategist, a street thug and a businessman that blended well with Ric Flair. The two had a close friendship that's genuine to this day and was then and was obvious to anyone even remotely paying attention. It flowed smoothly.

With AJ Styles, it's pretty much the exact opposite in my opinion. AJ Styles has spent most of his time in TNA as the golden boy babyface of the company. Styles has established himself so firmly within that role that anything else just doesn't seem right or even natural. It's kind of the same thing with Triple H as a babyface, although to a greater degree I think. Styles' interaction with Ric Flair, the way he's acting, the suits, the bimbos, etc. doesn't flow smoothly at all, it seems forced to me. When I watch AJ Styles doing what he's doing now, it just doesn't seem the least bit authentic or believable in my eyes.

Triple H was the better Flair protege because everything between HHH and Flair onscreen flowed more smoothly and made more sense. Both were at the top of the card and gaining world titles constantly, and Trips is still doing it. Styles on the other hand, was doing really well as the face of TNA. I understand that interaction onscreen with Flair can benefit just about anyone.... but Styles is nothing but a clone of Flair currently and the character doesn't quite feel right for him in my opinion. Maybe it's just going to take some getting used to if this character is sticking around. However, HHH is the better Flair protege because unlike Styles it didn't cause a change in the protege's onscreen character that seemed awkward.

Honestly? You can't compare Triple H in AJ Styles in this way. Triple H was clearly the better protege. WWE did a great job of making Triple H seem like the next Flair from Unforgiven 02 til October 3rd of 2005 (Yeah I know my dates). And to me HHH really did seem like the next Flair. He has the same style, he was arrogant, he had the look, and was easily the top heel that everyone wanted to see get his ass kicked, well the face fans anyway.

Maybe my opinion will change but AJ hasen't had nearly the amount of time with Flair as HHH did, I dont know how anyone could say AJ, TNA is basically copying what WWE did with HHH and Flair, other than the fact HHH is way better on the mic, although AJ is getting better, and they both wrestle completely different styles.

Styles will be the better protege and here's why. HHH was one of the best before Flair even got to him. HHH 1999-2001 was one of the best heels to ever step foot in the WWE and he accomplished all that without Flair. 2003-2005 were some of the worst years in the WWE and who was at the forefront of that- HHH. His nine-month reign in 2003 was awful and 2004 was barely even better.

Styles on the other hand, is still in his prime and has at least ten good years left in him. Flair gives him a chance to work on his mic skills (even though he is decent in that department). Flair is giving Styles a chance to be put over as a cocky and arrogant heel instead of a comedic one. He can still put on the great matches but do the little things during those matches which make a heel a heel.

To me, Styles will be the better protege because he still has a lot to learn and HHH was already the best before Flair was there.

AJ Styles will end up being the better Flair protege. What you have to remember about Flair and HHH is, HHH really didn't need Flair. He was already way over as monster heel years before his pairing with Flair. Triple H most likely had Flair as his mentor because he idolizes the man so much in real life.

AJ Styles still has plenty of room to grow as a heel. Before his pairing with Flair, Styles was the squeaky clean face. Put him with Ric Flair, turn him heel, and you've got a potentially dynamic duo. Styles heel turn was shocking, while HHH was already a dominant heel before Flair got to him. This is new territory for Styles, and he couldn't have a better teacher than the dirtiest player in the game.

Definitely HHH. Styles is by no means terrible right now, but copying Flair's mannerisms just look wrong. The guy absolutely screams wholesome face more than anyone in recent wrestling history, and maybe ever. He looks awkward when he dresses and acts like Flair. Triple H on the other hand is a natural heel and he could be like Flair because he was a similar guy with a similar character at the time of their meeting.

I expect Styles will get a bigger rub than HHH did because he was a smaller name when the association began, but in all honesty at the end of the road, I think he'll retain little of the Flair aspects of his character, if any.

Triple H hands down. As some of you have said, AJ styles w/ Flair just seems kind of forced...it's not natural. AJ i do believe CAN work as a heel.....just not in a "Ric Flair" type of way...if you remember, HHH has alwayz thrived playing the Dominant champion who's only dominant because he has a group of guys to watch his back & help him keep his title (DX, McMahon-Helmsley era, DX)....the only aspect of Ric Flair that HHH didnt have was the women...but everything else worked perfectly...HHH wins over AJ hands down....but i do like the fact that TNA is atleast trying to do "SOMETHING" to make AJ the centerpiece of TNA.....the "Heel" face of the company...."EEEEFFF YEW WEE-YULL" (Dusty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back