NJPW: Wrestle Kingdom 9 - Live Discussion (w/ Awesome Preview)

What a great event ladies and gentleman! Tanahashi and Okada may very well have had their best match so far. Or at least, one of the best. Tanahashi defeated the challenger and it was really a very well fought match. These two are now tied in 3 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw each and this is not the last time we'll see them cross each other's paths.

Overall, New Japan just delivered yet another successful event and it's not far fetched to call it a strong contender for the Event of The Year. Sadly, people will not care for it, even though is the #2 promotion in the world. We had at least 3 matches with a fantastic quality, and we had, other great matches and good solid bouts. Nothing here sucked, absolutely nothing. Read the previews I posted, and give puroresu a try and you will not regret. Also, Matt Striker and Jim Ross did their best to accommodate new fans to the New Japan world.

Best Match:
It was a tie - Okada/Tanahashi and Nakamura/Ibushi, and if any of them got a 5 star rating, I would not be surprised.

Thanks for all the updates in here, Silverback. Really looking forward to watching this sometime this week.

This was a great show, somehow the matches only got better as the night went on. Okada/Tanahashi and Nakamura/Ibushi are must watch matches.

Both were fucking incredible. If GFW borrows these guys for what they have planned on their first show on US soil then we're in for a treat.

I had to work at 6:30 am, so I only was able to catch the opener of the show, but I'm excited for the American PPV airing tonight.

I did check the detailed play-by-play results though, and I saw that AJ did a second rope Styles clash to Naito. That obviously means Naito will never walk again, right? In fact it may have actually decapitated him right there in the ring, right?

Wait, you mean AJ hit the Clash off the second rope to win the match, and Naito got up just fine? He walked to the back on his own power? He suffered no neck injury at all? But the Clash is so dangerous and should be banned. No wrestler could possibly be expected to take a second rope version of the move and survive. Naito must be the luckiest man alive. :icon_rolleyes: :rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shrug: ;)

Ordered on the Flipps app and it's a disaster, really wanted to watch this live

According to the main page Flipps is offering refunds to anyone who purchased it through them & had issues. Thankfully I didn't, I was afraid something like this might happen & the odds of me staying awake were slim anyway.

Some character intros I found.

Nakamura was a straight forward "strong style" tough guy who was forced to keep his inner lunatic trapped inside in order to succeed in the rigid semi bushido system of New Japan about fifteen years ago. After travelling the world, he realised that there was no point in trying to deny who he really was, so he let his freak flag fly. He's an eccentric guy whose eclectic style throws off opponents who don't know how to deal with his madness. He's sort of like a Japanese Macho Man, updated for the 21st Century. His eccentricity, combined with his fighting skills make him a dangerous and unpredictable foe.

Tanahashi is the easiest to explain. He is an American superhero transposed to Japan. He is the Japanese John Cena. He appeals to women and kids more so than older men, but because he is so damn good in the ring, everyone respects him. They call him a one in a generation genius. The 1/100 gear he wears is meant to symbolise that a warrior of his skill, grace, tenacity and power comes along but once every hundred years. He is a brightly coloured super babyface hero to everyone who needs one. Like I said, if Nakamura is Macho Man, Tanahashi is Hulk Hogan. Except with the in ring skill of Shawn Michaels.

Finally Okada. He is the Rainmaker. What this means is that he is a super athlete who does not ever fight for free. He doesn't want to be champion for the glory or the honour, he fights for cold, hard cash. He doesn't care if people like him or dislike him, he'll beat respect into his opponent and the crowd doesn't matter so long as they pay to see him. He is like the Japanese Ric Flair. When he is a heel, you don't like him, but you damn sure respect him. Lately he is being made into more of a face to capitalise on the overwhelmingly positive reaction people have toward him, much like Naitch back in 1983 when they turned him face and had him win the strap off Harley Race in the cage.

OH MU FYCKING GOD FUCK BEST SHOW FUCK EVER IM SO SMART AND PRETENSIOUS SO GOOD IM GONNA KILL MYSELF NOW BECAUSE NO EXPERIENCE WILL EVER TOP THIS ONE

*skeet skeet skeet*

No, it was alright. Im curious at all of the nut busting im seing all over the place concerning the show. It was very good, but nothing ill remember in a week.

Im all about Kenny Omega, Okada and Ibushi.

Nakamura is awesome, but I dont think he would flourish stateside. I don't mean that negatively, I mean its cool that the wrestling culture over there lets him be all that he is.

It sounded like the ring announcer was singing people down to the ring. Certainley was different.

I can go the rest of my life without hearing Matt Striker site "the westernization of the sacred Puroeusu" as to why the Japanese fans dont like Bullett Club ever, ever, fucking EVER again. How many times did he say it? Over 100? Fucking Christ.

Karen Jarrett has a mom body now. A hot mom, mind you.

There is no way to describe how delicous it was every time Jim Ross shit on Stryker for using insider terms trying to be cute. So good. So, so good.

Good show. Bound to be a let down after all the praise I heard. It was like people had just come back from seeing a real Jurassic Park.

AJ Styles' entrance was a site to behold seeing him from behind surrounded by 60,000 fans.

The first match I feel the need to rewatch is the Togi Makabe Vs Tomohiro Ishii one. It has been that long since I have seen a good old fashioned Hoss fight.

Im all about Kenny Omega, Okada and Ibushi.

Ibushi's a great spot monkey who can actually work from what I've seen and Okada appears to be one of the few guys on NJPW's roster who would and could work anywhere in the world. Fucker is only 27 too. He's probably my favourite guy their having seen his matches with Tanahashi.

There is no way to describe how delicous it was every time Jim Ross shit on Stryker for using insider terms trying to be cute. So good. So, so good.

Yup, when he shut him down for the 'swerve' comment he made it was hilarious. Thought JR did well to keep the irritant on a leash for most of the evening.

Yup, when he shut him down for the 'swerve' comment he made it was hilarious. Thought JR did well to keep the irritant on a leash for most of the evening.

Yep, just like Striker did a great job of correcting JR and keeping confusion to a minimum by setting straight JR's constant getting names wrong and accidentally switching the names of the two wrestlers in the ring on a repeated basis.

And pointing out when guys hit finishers and signatures and the names that they call those moves since JR seemed often quite clueless about it.

It worked both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back