Night of Champions - No Disqualification - Triple H vs. CM Punk

That match was a complete and utter mess.

I can't even pinpoint one thing as being terrible, it was just uniformally so.

You've got all these different people interfering, no real idea as to who they're helping or want to win and then Triple H does his usual dick routine of refusing to job to the up and coming star, thereby destroying their push.

I bet backstage Triple H was like "well obviously he doesn't have the credibility to beat me, but don't worry, i'll MAKE this kid" Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more.

Hell, why don't you bring back the Undertaker to bury Punk some more. Part timers ruining younger talent is alllllll the rage.

Really really really disappointed here. Not only did Triple H win, the night ended with no major turn or twist to make us want to tune into Raw. WWE just followed up its 2 best PPV's in a long time with an extremely average - even under average one.

The only thing I can see happening is Triple H & CM Punk teaming up to take on Nash and the new "nWo" (Miz, truth, Johnny Ace & Nash).

Match started unbelievably. Felt so real. And then the Miz and R-truth come out? C'mon. Seriously? Kevin Nash? Can we not get rid of him. He's not in the business anymore, he should'nt be allowed to have profound impacts on main events. Just as I thought the WWE was turning itself around, they take ten steps back. HHH continues to benefit from nepotism so that his precious ego isnt bruised.

well, let's not jump to any serious conclusions. Heck I had no idea the next PPV is two freakin weeks away? TWO sundays from now. I dunno what they're gonna do, but they can definitely turn it around.

I will say this much. Making Cena champ was a mistake. The finish to this match was a bigger mistake. I like many, was hoping for a heel HHH. Heck I was hoping for some bad-ass alliance like the good ole McMahon days. I too really wanted to see a "repeat" of the Austin-McMahon era, but I guess in PG land that won happen anytime soon

Hopefully HIAC will have something great to offer. Some PPVs that aren't so over-hyped turn out better than expected

This is the worst main event of the year, potential match of the year contender ends up being an extended and very messy angle! Larinitus clearly text'd Nash to down HHH, thats your hook and the whole point I suppose but what a fucking mess... why exactly did R-Truth stop the 3 count? It's not a Dud, but comes quite close.

why exactly did R-Truth stop the 3 count? It's not a Dud, but comes quite close.

EXACTLY!!!!! Wasn't R-Truth's and the Miz's whole point being they didn't want Triple H to be in charge? Then when its about to happen Truth stops it. The writers obviously don't remember what they wrote only a few weeks ago.

This is the worst main event of the year, potential match of the year contender ends up being an extended and very messy angle! Larinitus clearly text'd Nash to down HHH, thats your hook and the whole point I suppose but what a fucking mess... why exactly did R-Truth stop the 3 count? It's not a Dud, but comes quite close.

Didn't understand that either. Like 1 minute prior to Truth pulling Punk out of the ring, he had just laid Punk on top of a down Triple H to get the pin....

I didn't care really if Triple H went heel or not I just wanted Punk to go over but I'm willing to bet that in 2 weeks at Hell in the Cell they let CM Punk go over Triple H which would be a lot more better in the long run than just winning tonight.

well, let's not jump to any serious conclusions. Heck I had no idea the next PPV is two freakin weeks away? TWO sundays from now. I dunno what they're gonna do, but they can definitely turn it around.

I will say this much. Making Cena champ was a mistake. The finish to this match was a bigger mistake. I like many, was hoping for a heel HHH. Heck I was hoping for some bad-ass alliance like the good ole McMahon days. I too really wanted to see a "repeat" of the Austin-McMahon era, but I guess in PG land that won happen anytime soon

Hopefully HIAC will have something great to offer. Some PPVs that aren't so over-hyped turn out better than expected

Agree with everything you've said here. Was DESPERATE for a HHH heel turn for a few reasons, one of which his unrivaled ablility to play a heel character; done it so well before, two that is what this needed, a mcmahon-stone cold-esque feud with a corrupt COO.

Has this lead to a feud between HHH and Nash? Probably...where does this leave CM PUNK? Back down the ranks to the US title...maybe.

And as for Cena winning the title, that was utter bullshit. Del Rio is such a strong heel and a quality wrestler, shouldn't of lost clean like that in his first defence. Very happy Henry won the WHC, overall not a bad PPV but could've been so so much better.

I would have been happier if both Triple H and Punk would have been laid out and unable to answer a 10 count, rather than have Triple H go over Punk by pin fall. This would have allowed for the story to continue, and for Punk to keep some of the momentum that he's been quickly losing

I was surprised that outside of Nash and Mr Future Endeavor that the Miz and Truth were the only other superstars to run out to the ring. I expected to see a lot of other people run ins, but those work out well for future story building.

Meh, it is what it is and HHH is still COO. I don't necessarily hate the decision but my issue with it is this storyline had a lot more legs on it and frankly I'm not a fan in the direction they seem to be going in.

Hopefully I am wrong in this assessment and they make something out of it but to me a lot more would have been accomplished if Punk won instead of HHH. Now we know Johnny Ace is against HHH and Nash is against both guys and if HHH would have gotten screwed out of the COO then it would have been more interesting. Obviously the storyline won't get aborted and is leading to something else I just worry they've run out of gas, here is hoping I am wrong.

Honestly this was NOT Punk buried, BUT this was an overbooked match!!!!! WHY are Miz and Truth getting involved and WWE really made Truth look stupid because why did he stop the Punk count???? what did he not want the match to end ever???? Nash getting involved was easy to see and same with Johnny Ace (and Ace getting involved is dull because i am not a fan of hearing or seeing Ace). HHH winning isnt so much bad, it's just the way he won, no need to put so many people in this. Punk can later beat HHH, hopefully in a triple threat match at the NEXT pay per view.

As for the pay per view, alot wrong. Kelly Kelly retaining, yuck. i am not a fan of Henry, but many will disagree with me on that, but to me the thing i hated most was Cena winning. why couldnt they wait at least one more month before giving the title back to Cena???? it just made Del Rio look like the weakest champion and weakest money in the bank winner since Jack Swagger. Del Rio should've retained (by cheating) then have Cena win some mini tournament and get a shot at Del Rio, but nope, Del Rio loses in a month and i am not a fan of taking the title off Punk for Del Rio to hold for a month only to give it back to Cena. Cena with the title is just getting old and i wanted to see him chase the title, hopefully sometime soon, he loses the title again.

That match just made no sense at all. From the WCW-esque booking to the way that HHH went over, it was just a poorly scripted match.

Having HHH go over could have made perfect sense if they did it the correct way but this was just horrible.

This is such a wrestling buzz kill for me, I've been so happy and so impressed with their product the last 3 months and then they just lay an utter dud and bury(yes, the way they had HHH go over did bury Punk) the hottest thing they had going for them. Very disappointed.

I personally like HHH trying to be a fair COO, but I did not like the ending of the match. too over booked. Why are miz and truth interfering? I'll wait and see what happens before I make a final judgement of the story line.

Lets recap, shall we? The promo for Hell In A Cell was just prior to the match. R-Some had a run-in. Johnny Ace had a run-in (sorta). Nash had a run-in. Hell In A Cell match is designed to be no DQ while keeping people out. This is set up pretty damn perfectly.

I wasn't too happy with HHH going over on Punk, but if they have a Cell match at the PPV and Punk goes over, that leaves it 1-1 and builds to Survivor Series or delay the build until the Rumble (probably wont happen, but still an option).

Punk is still *the* main event. He headlined the July, August, September PPVs and he will probably headline October and November as well. WWE writers are plenty stupid, but not *that* stupid.

Joined these forums just to comment on how ridiculous everyone's overreactions are.

1) This was NOT a burial of CM Punk. Do people actually know what that term means, or are they just throwing it around to sound like they're knowledgeable internet fans? Unbelievable. If Punk was really "buried" as 99% of the posts in this thread seem to indicate, he would be out of the storyline completely and bumped down to the middle of the card. Please watch Raw tomorrow. This storyline obviously isn't over, nor was that the last time we'll see Triple H and CM Punk in the ring together.

2) Did people honestly expect a clean finish with no run ins? If so, you haven't been watching the product for the last few months. This entire storyline is convoluted for a reason. You're not supposed to know who is helping who and why they're doing it. If you didn't think Nash was going to be there, you're crazy. Miz and Truth interfering made sense considering the backstage promo they cut about HHH being COO. It also ties in perfectly with the "conspiracy theory" angle they have aligned themselves with. The only thing that didn't quite work for me was Truth stopping the Punk pin on HHH.

3) It was a really good match. Intense and believable from beginning to end, even with the chaotic finish. Now we'll likely see H and Punk beginning to form a union against Nash, Johnny Ace, Awesome Truth even though they won't be "friends," but rather reluctant partners.

In short, calm down. People won't be happy until Punk wins EVERY match he's in, and then what - give him the Cena treatment complaining how he's Superman and never loses? Unreal.

Once again there are more questions than answers.

1. Why did Awsome Truth interfere in the match?
2. Why did Johnny Ace stop the 2nd referee from getting in the ring when Triple H had the pin, but when CM Punk had the pin he let him go in for the count?
3. Why did R-Truth stop the count when he wants HHH not to be COO?
4. Did Johnny Ace send Nash a text message?
5. Why did CM Punk save HHH from getting a Jack Knife?

This storyline is doing its job, and that is having us tune in tomorrow night to see what will happen. Like CM Punk said, we just gotta see how its all laid out.

So much to talk about, and I don't really have time/energy to cover all of it, but despite the massive plot hole that was Truth pulling Punk out, what DID make sense through all of the booking was that Punk's status as a face was preserved.

There was no clear face/heel going into the match and the crowd had no idea whom to cheer for, outside of personal bias. They don't want HHH to be the heel, and Punk's actions in the match made him look honorable enough to still be face. He also took a beatdown, he also had his count interrupted, and he took the Jackknife because he went after Nash, who was beating on HHH at the time. I'm especially glad that they did not immediately turn Punk heel as soon as he gained a following, which I was worried that they might be doing.

Hell of a match, lots of questions still to be answered, and while I'm not 100% sure about the booking, it was fairly enjoyable. Punk was not buried, and there are far worse things at this PPV to complain about than this match. Beth and Del Rio say hi.

I can only laugh at this match, also Cena winning, but that's another thread.

What was R-Truth doing? I know why he and Miz interfered, however i didn't understand why they laid out Punk also... I thought, ok, that was weird, but then they still tried to help have HHH lose. They then beat down the ref for not making the count quick enough, before being sent packing out of the ring.

Now it gets more stupid. Lets say 1-2 minutes later, Punk is pinning HHH in the ring, and Truth drags Punk off of him?!?!?!

WHY? 2 minutes ago you beat down the ref for not counting Punk to the win over HHH, and now you are pulling him out of the ring to prevent Punk winning? That made no sense whatsoever.

This match was so bad... It was okay at the minimum.

Even though I wanted Punk to win, Hunter made an extremely unsurprising win. I could only know that he would win, even though it would of been better and more of a twist if Punk did.

*Sigh*

I can understand some saying it was overbooked, which it kind of was if you want to get technical, but the shortsightedness of the IWC is really astounding at times. It's not like all the run ins just seemed to be these random happenings with guys running out just for the purpose of engaging in these overdone brawls or to save a guy just because he happens to be in an alliance with them.

Why did Miz & Truth interfere? Because they've been complaining about this "conspiracy" of both of them being sort of overlooked due to the whole thing with CM Punk & Triple H.

Why did Truth pull Punk off Triple H? Because he and Miz have complained every bit as much about CM Punk as they have with Triple H. In their minds, Punk is part of this "conspiracy" to keep them down and out of the spotlight. Miz & Truth made a statement with their interference and moved things along. This will draw attention to them and will put a little more spotlight on the tag team scene in and of itself.

As for anyone wondering if Punk was buried last night, well just look at what Paul Heyman wrote on Twitter:

"I thought @CMPunk and HHH (and all the others involved) put on one helluva show," wrote Heyman. "It took 3 Pedigrees and a Jack Knife to beat Punk. I know a lot of people are pissed @CMPunk got pinned, but if you're going to get beat, isn't that the way to do it?

If Triple H had gone in there and dominated much of the match, I could see it. However, it was a very even match all the way through and Triple H didn't necessarily beat Punk. It was Triple H, Kevin Nash, The Miz & R-Truth that beat Punk.

As far as there being more questions than answers, what's wrong with that? One complaint I've heard about WWE from some net posters, or wrestling in general, is that there aren't anymore really long storylines in which people have to wait to ultimately see the whole picture. Orton vs. Christian & Triple H vs. Punk are two good examples of an old school storyline that's kept people guessing and ultimately what it's leading up to. Fans jus aren't used to it because they're used to most feuds being over with in 1 or 2 months.

I can understand some saying it was overbooked, which it kind of was if you want to get technical, but the shortsightedness of the IWC is really astounding at times. It's not like all the run ins just seemed to be these random happenings with guys running out just for the purpose of engaging in these overdone brawls or to save a guy just because he happens to be in an alliance with them.

Why did Miz & Truth interfere? Because they've been complaining about this "conspiracy" of both of them being sort of overlooked due to the whole thing with CM Punk & Triple H.

Why did Truth pull Punk off Triple H? Because he and Miz have complained every bit as much about CM Punk as they have with Triple H. In their minds, Punk is part of this "conspiracy" to keep them down and out of the spotlight. Miz & Truth made a statement with their interference and moved things along. This will draw attention to them and will put a little more spotlight on the tag team scene in and of itself.

As for anyone wondering if Punk was buried last night, well just look at what Paul Heyman wrote on Twitter:

"I thought @CMPunk and HHH (and all the others involved) put on one helluva show," wrote Heyman. "It took 3 Pedigrees and a Jack Knife to beat Punk. I know a lot of people are pissed @CMPunk got pinned, but if you're going to get beat, isn't that the way to do it?

If Triple H had gone in there and dominated much of the match, I could see it. However, it was a very even match all the way through and Triple H didn't necessarily beat Punk. It was Triple H, Kevin Nash, The Miz & R-Truth that beat Punk.

As far as there being more questions than answers, what's wrong with that? One complaint I've heard about WWE from some net posters, or wrestling in general, is that there aren't anymore really long storylines in which people have to wait to ultimately see the whole picture. Orton vs. Christian & Triple H vs. Punk are two good examples of an old school storyline that's kept people guessing and ultimately what it's leading up to. Fans jus aren't used to it because they're used to most feuds being over with in 1 or 2 months.

I do partly agree with this, but the overbooking of the last 5 minutes was a bit OTT.

I'd be surprised if HHH and Nash don't end up on the same page by November. Again, I think this is all leading to a heel turn by Hunter. They're delaying it and delaying it to throw the IWC off.

I just saw the match and to be honest I did not like the booking too much. The action was very good, especially early on, and Punk did look very good in defeat but I wanted to see a decisive finish. One of the things that I believe is plaguing this angle is the fact that HHH and Punk are both acting like faces with Punk being somewhat heelish from time to time. This was a feud that was all about two guys having a different set of beliefs and each guy wanting to prove the other wrong. But the audience is finding it difficult to support one guy and his beliefs because both sets of beliefs are appearing to be true. If one guy would have turned heel, it would have made the angle simpler but at the same time more exciting.

I do get that some people love cliffhangers but you cannot just keep booking cliffhanger like endings every week and expect the audience to be interested in the product. You have got to let the cat out of the bag at the correct time or the audience will be turned off your product and will feel that your cliffhangers are just not worth their time. I would have loved to see HHH turn a full fledged heel. Punk going heel would have worked to an extent as well. But right now we are more or less at the same spot we were a few weeks ago when Punk vs HHH was first announced.

The thing that has changed is the fact that the story has become more about HHH's post of COO. But where does that leave Punk? I guess HHH can still turn heel but I doubt if that is the direction that WWE will go. Call me crazy but I can actually see Punk and HHH teaming up in the near future to fight off Nash, Truth and Miz. Maybe they will do a foes who have a common enemy storyline with HHH still hating Punk but starting to undestand the fact that he is legit. Maybe Punk will also accept HHH's method of doing things.

I just went back and re-watched the match and there is no way i can say Punk got buried here. The match went long, Punk hung with him, it took a truckload of interference to end the match, and i would like anyone who thinks punk was buried to name 5 guys besides Taker, Rock, and HBK that have gotten up from 2 pedigrees and it took a third one to put him down.

Sounds like trips was helping punk get over, albeit in defeat. That is one of the ultimate signs of respect from HHH, is kicking out of a pedigree. Thoughts?

You also forgot he took a Jacknife Powerbomb from Kevin Nash too. As it took Punk 3 Pedigree's and a Jacknife to put away Punk is no where near buried him. It made Punk look strong against Triple H. Triple H was at one point the John Cena we have today the ulitimate man to beat as he was just an extremly powerful force. For Punk to take a maxium amount of finishers and still lose is impressive. Sure one can argue he beat Cena and took a shit ton of finishers but why not Triple H? Well Triple H was and had to win as it is going to keep the angle moving forward.

So no, I don't think Punk was buried at all. If anything it was to try and show he is ME material which he is proving to be everytime he wrestles. It made him look strong in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back