NHL Thread - 2009-10

Well we aren't out of it yet!

But really what a game last night. Give it up to the Sharks, they never give up and continue to play hard. It was a huge game and now we come back home tied 2-2. the Avs have played the Sharks tough and Anderson has played unbelievable, but credit the Sharks for continuing to shoot the puck and finally getting one in. In Game 4 there were obviously 3 stars for this game.

3. Dan Boyle- a lot people wondered how he would respond after that disaster in Game 3. Well he responded with scoring the only goal in regulation and more importantly makes a huge defensive play in OT to save the season for the Sharks. He came out and helped this team in big ways to tie this series up. Fantastic job.

2. Evgeni Nabokov- After the disater in Game 2 he has come back and has given tghe team some strong goaltending. Last night was masterful. He stopped 33 shots and made great saves, including in OT. With Anderson continuing to play strong between the pipes, its important that Nabby play just as hot. And now we are starting to see that, even when the Sharks break down defensively. Nabby has helped bail them out. Last night was a huge game for him and look for him to continue this back home.

1. Joe Pavelski- Joe F'n Pavelski. Was any goal bigger than this one? The Sharks came out strong in OT but then it swung back the Avs way. Joe made a great shot with the traffic in front of him. Anderson couldn't see where the shot came from, and Joe took advantage of that. Again this tied the series instead of coming back down 3-1.

Now there are still concerns. The top line still can't get a goal. Although Heatley had one in OT but just couldn't get it in. And this was the 3rd straight game in OT. The Sharks would be wise to go out and hit it hardin Game 5 so try to finish this in 6. But a great game that I'm not sure the Sharks of the past few years would have won.

No, you're out of it. The Devils have been post-season busts every year since the lockout for a reason – you refuse to evolve as a team. As an organization, you still actually think that defensive trapping to cause turnovers game-in/game-out will win you anything other than a first or second-round exit (again).

You refuse to accept the fact that Brodeur is aging, and continue to let him self-destruct by playing him 70+ games a year instead of hiring a suitable back-up to help alleviate some of that strain on his body so that he's well rested for the playoffs.

You refuse to accept that the NHL is a quicker, faster and more offensive animal than in the era that saw you win by hiring the most defensive minded coach to have never won a thing since the game has changed (post-lockout) other than missing the playoffs or being bounced in them in the first round (looks like that won't change, either) despite the fact that the make-up of your club last season heading into this season was more than capable of continuing the trend of playing with the puck instead of without it, had you just hired a coach who understands the game can be played rather effectively skating forward instead of backwards.

The Devils are one of the most stubborn franchises in the NHL who refuse to learn from their mistakes, and just like the Rangers learned over damn near a decade's worth of failures, it's going to take something drastic for you to ever even realize it.

Ok IDR, explain how we are out of it? Every series is pretty much 2-2. No one can sit here and say their team looks like the clear fron runner. And I'd like to think that had it not been for that fluke play Sunday night we would be up 3-1. Anderson has played great but so has Nabby, with the exception of Game 2. I think the fact that our top line hasn't scored yet we are still tied is a good thing. They will come around. So explain to me how we are out of it.

Ah, my mistake – I got you confused with "The Peoples Peep" up there who's user title is "NJ Devils = Stanley Cup Champs". I'm an idiot for not reading past "The Peoples" in your user handles. :lol:

I was referring to the Devils, which I mistook you as who you were referring to aren't out of it, not the Sharks or Avs. The Sharks/Avs series I actually think will go to seven games because both teams are playing very well (IMO), and as of right now I don't really see a clear-cut winner, though if I had to call it now, I'd go with the Sharks in seven.

Ah, my mistake – I got you confused with "The Peoples Peep" up there who's user title is "NJ Devils = Stanley Cup Champs". I'm an idiot for not reading past "The Peoples" in your user handles. :lol:

I was referring to the Devils, which I mistook you as who you were referring to aren't out of it, not the Sharks or Avs. The Sharks/Avs series I actually think will go to seven games because both teams are playing very well (IMO), and as of right now I don't really see a clear-cut winner, though if I had to call it now, I'd go with the Sharks in seven.

Haha got it. No biggie. I was ready for a friendly debate but seeing as how it was for someone else its all good. By the way, I agree with you on your assement on the Devils. If any team needs help figuring out they need help it would be the Devils.

No, you're out of it. The Devils have been post-season busts every year since the lockout for a reason – you refuse to evolve as a team. As an organization, you still actually think that defensive trapping to cause turnovers game-in/game-out will win you anything other than a first or second-round exit (again).

You refuse to accept the fact that Brodeur is aging, and continue to let him self-destruct by playing him 70+ games a year instead of hiring a suitable back-up to help alleviate some of that strain on his body so that he's well rested for the playoffs.

You refuse to accept that the NHL is a quicker, faster and more offensive animal than in the era that saw you win by hiring the most defensive minded coach to have never won a thing since the game has changed (post-lockout) other than missing the playoffs or being bounced in them in the first round (looks like that won't change, either) despite the fact that the make-up of your club last season heading into this season was more than capable of continuing the trend of playing with the puck instead of without it, had you just hired a coach who understands the game can be played rather effectively skating forward instead of backwards.

The Devils are one of the most stubborn franchises in the NHL who refuse to learn from their mistakes, and just like the Rangers learned over damn near a decade's worth of failures, it's going to take something drastic for you to ever even realize it.

i am not a stubborn fan, as i realize that marty is aging and the organization must start looking to the future. but its not martys fault that they keep losing in the first round. even at his age, he is better than most of the goalies in the league. they keep losing in the first round because of what you said. im not gonna deny it. i was furious when they hired jacques "i only understand defense" lemaire. i actually believe that the coach should be someone new who hasnt coached before the lockout. someone like john maclean who coaches the AHL team should take over. even scotty stevens. they understand the new nhl and would make the team more offensive. i know its not lou's favorite thing to sign big contracts, but he needs to sign kovy and fire lemaire.

not that they need excuses as they should have swept this series, but a HUGE reason why the devils are down 3-1 is the officiating. absolutely horrid. they make terrible calls, and then dont call the obvious ones. in game 3 in overtime, the flyers had 6 men on the ice for about 15 seconds and the refs didnt see it. a few seconds later, they put clarkson in the box and the flyers win on the powerplay. the nhl needs to do something about it.

as for my title, ill change it when they lose. i am a loyal fan to all my teams . if there is one thing i learned from being a yankee fan my whole life, its yogi berra's famous line, "it aint over till its over". i still have nightmares about 2004. for now, ill continue to be optimistic.

i am not a stubborn fan, as i realize that marty is aging and the organization must start looking to the future. but its not martys fault that they keep losing in the first round. even at his age, he is better than most of the goalies in the league. they keep losing in the first round because of what you said. im not gonna deny it. i was furious when they hired jacques "i only understand defense" lemaire. i actually believe that the coach should be someone new who hasnt coached before the lockout. someone like john maclean who coaches the AHL team should take over. even scotty stevens. they understand the new nhl and would make the team more offensive. i know its not lou's favorite thing to sign big contracts, but he needs to sign kovy and fire lemaire.

not that they need excuses as they should have swept this series, but a HUGE reason why the devils are down 3-1 is the officiating. absolutely horrid. they make terrible calls, and then dont call the obvious ones. in game 3 in overtime, the flyers had 6 men on the ice for about 15 seconds and the refs didnt see it. a few seconds later, they put clarkson in the box and the flyers win on the powerplay. the nhl needs to do something about it.

as for my title, ill change it when they lose. i am a loyal fan to all my teams . if there is one thing i learned from being a yankee fan my whole life, its yogi berra's famous line, "it aint over till its over". i still have nightmares about 2004. for now, ill continue to be optimistic.

My Rangers took longest of any team in NHL history to understand that teams need to forge identities that are relevant to the times and behavior of the game as it pertains to how it's being played at the time, but the Devils IMO are right in line to become the next team who takes a decade to learn – that is of course unless Lamoriello dies or quits between now and then and spares them the hardship in the process. Brodeur's retirement would also force a change, though I'm sure the first season without him they'll still try to prove that they can still work a NZT to win their way to nothing.

Why Lemaire was hired to begin with says a lot about how Lamoriello's brain works, and until that brain is no longer functioning or allowed to make those executive decisions, the right answers will continue to go by the wayside for the wrong ones.

Kovalchuk was a mistake precisely because of the fact that he was going into a defensive team. If Lemaire was the target, defensive stalwarts should have been as well – not offensive dynamos like Kovalchuk who for the price he'll command is not worth the Devils investment, IMO.

My Rangers took longest of any team in NHL history to understand that teams need to forge identities that are relevant to the times and behavior of the game as it pertains to how it's being played at the time, but the Devils IMO are right in line to become the next team who takes a decade to learn – that is of course unless Lamoriello dies or quits between now and then and spares them the hardship in the process. Brodeur's retirement would also force a change, though I'm sure the first season without him they'll still try to prove that they can still work a NZT to win their way to nothing.

Why Lemaire was hired to begin with says a lot about how Lamoriello's brain works, and until that brain is no longer functioning or allowed to make those executive decisions, the right answers will continue to go by the wayside for the wrong ones.

Kovalchuk was a mistake precisely because of the fact that he was going into a defensive team. If Lemaire was the target, defensive stalwarts should have been as well – not offensive dynamos like Kovalchuk who for the price he'll command is not worth the Devils investment, IMO.

i think Lou did give the whole "offensive team" idea a shot over the last 2 years with brent sutter. he was a pretty offensive minded coach and i like what he did with the team when he was here. I also think Lou will look to make an offensive minded team. he's a legend in the business and he's smarter than you make him out to be. he knows that he has a great offensive future in Parise, who is arguably a top 5 forward in the league, and Zajac, who gets better every year. this year he kind of got caught in a predicament with sutter's resignation. there werent too many options out there and Lemaire was the safe pick. i see him making a change in the near future for the better of the team.

i think Lou did give the whole "offensive team" idea a shot over the last 2 years with brent sutter. he was a pretty offensive minded coach and i like what he did with the team when he was here. I also think Lou will look to make an offensive minded team. he's a legend in the business and he's smarter than you make him out to be. he knows that he has a great offensive future in Parise, who is arguably a top 5 forward in the league, and Zajac, who gets better every year. this year he kind of got caught in a predicament with sutter's resignation. there werent too many options out there and Lemaire was the safe pick. i see him making a change in the near future for the better of the team.

by the way,

Lemaire was not the safest pick. Lemaire was a lazy pick that made very little sense to a team who was tied for the 11th in the league lead for goals-per-game with 2.90, and who was tied for 11th in the league lead for goals for with 238 overall as well.

The "safe" pick, if there was any would have been Peter Laviolette who's coaching philosophy employed the same tactics as Sutter in that it required a hard fore-check and man-on-man coverage when defending. Laviolette was basically another version of Sutter. That pick would have made sense, but that pick wasn't made – Lemaire was, and it made as much sense as a peanut butter & dirt sandwich.

Lemaire was not the safest pick. Lemaire was a lazy pick that made very little sense to a team who was tied for the 11th in the league lead for goals-per-game with 2.90, and who was tied for 11th in the league lead for goals for with 238 overall as well.

The "safe" pick, if there was any would have been Peter Laviolette who's coaching philosophy employed the same tactics as Sutter in that it required a hard fore-check and man-on-man coverage when defending. Laviolette was basically another version of Sutter. That pick would have made sense, but that pick wasn't made – Lemaire was, and it made as much sense as a peanut butter & dirt sandwich.

Lemaire was the safe choice because they have a history. In Lou's mind, he needed to hire a coach fast and it left him with no time to evaluate his few options. he has/had confidence in Jacques, so he hired him because of their history, almost like he owes him. if i recall, Sutter resigned early in the offseason and Lou had plenty of time to hire someone. but he wanted the team to know what was in for next year and have the offseason to think about it. this is why it was also a lazy choice. he had the time to evaluate, but didnt do it.

Lemaire was the safe choice because they have a history. In Lou's mind, he needed to hire a coach fast and it left him with no time to evaluate his few options. he has/had confidence in Jacques, so he hired him because of their history, almost like he owes him. if i recall, Sutter resigned early in the offseason and Lou had plenty of time to hire someone. but he wanted the team to know what was in for next year and have the offseason to think about it. this is why it was also a lazy choice. he had the time to evaluate, but didnt do it.

Safe in this instance equates laziness, and on some levels negligible. If Lou is to be thought of as one of the brightest minds in hockey, how could he be so stupid as to hire the most defensive minded coach in NHL history (IMO) to coach a club that was primed to be even more offensive than they were in the year prior (which speaks volumes for the Devils, who have a penchant for being an offensively stagnant team since their inception)? You don't see the oddity there?

Safe in this instance equates laziness, and on some levels negligible. If Lou is to be thought of as one of the brightest minds in hockey, how could he be so stupid as to hire the most defensive minded coach in NHL history (IMO) to coach a club that was primed to be even more offensive than they were in the year prior (which speaks volumes for the Devils, who have a penchant for being an offensively stagnant team since their inception)? You don't see the oddity there?

i said in my last post that it was lazy because it was safe. and it wasnt a oddity as much as it was a lapse of judgment. for some reason, he wanted to hire someone fast, and so he avoided the time it takes to interview candidates and went with the guy that has won him a cup before. it was one bad move for a guy who has made plenty of good one. every year, everyone says "this is finally the year the devils miss the playoffs" and it doesnt happen, so he gotta be doing something right.

i really believe that Lemaire is out if they lose (being optimistic here). Lou knows that he needs to have an offensive team, which is why he hired Sutter a few years back. this year he had a lapse of judgment and he should be able to fix it like he always does. (this is a pretty good debate we got going here)

i said in my last post that it was lazy because it was safe. and it wasnt a oddity as much as it was a lapse of judgment. for some reason, he wanted to hire someone fast, and so he avoided the time it takes to interview candidates and went with the guy that has won him a cup before. it was one bad move for a guy who has made plenty of good one. every year, everyone says "this is finally the year the devils miss the playoffs" and it doesnt happen, so he gotta be doing something right.

i really believe that Lemaire is out if they lose (being optimistic here). Lou knows that he needs to have an offensive team, which is why he hired Sutter a few years back. this year he had a lapse of judgment and he should be able to fix it like he always does. (this is a pretty good debate we got going here)

Of course they make the playoffs year-after-year. That's not on Lou, though – at least not in a yearly sense. Brodeur is the reason your club is a lock to make the post-season each season. He's the best goaltender in the NHL, and the best in NHL history – it's damn near impossible for him not to steal any number of games a year and turn them into points that help the team seed higher in the standings.

As for Lemaire, if he's not removed, I'd imagine Kovalchuk will walk in free agency as all the rumblings are that he's not very happy playing for such a defensive minded coach, and Lemaire has a history of driving offensive superstars crazy (Gáborík most recently).

As for the playoffs (since this is just an NHL thread in general), your Devils just caught a huge break. Gagné and Carter both having surgery on Friday and out for Game 5.

Of course they make the playoffs year-after-year. That's not on Lou, though – at least not in a yearly sense. Brodeur is the reason your club is a lock to make the post-season each season. He's the best goaltender in the NHL, and the best in NHL history – it's damn near impossible for him not to steal any number of games a year and turn them into points that help the team seed higher in the standings.

As for Lemaire, if he's not removed, I'd imagine Kovalchuk will walk in free agency as all the rumblings are that he's not very happy playing for such a defensive minded coach, and Lemaire has a history of driving offensive superstars crazy (Gáborík most recently).

As for the playoffs (since this is just an NHL thread in general), your Devils just caught a huge break. Gagné and Carter both having surgery on Friday and out for Game 5.

yeah. sorry for bogarting this thread all you other hockey fans. but that is huge news. Marty Brodeur has said in interviews that the guy that gives him the most trouble is Gagne. there is still hope!

yeah. sorry for bogarting this thread all you other hockey fans. but that is huge news. Marty Brodeur has said in interviews that the guy that gives him the most trouble is Gagne. there is still hope!

Used to be Jágr before him, but Gagné is a Devil killer for sure.

Either way, the Carter/Gagné injuries and surgeries just bought you a glimmer of hope.

Gagné is out 3 weeks and Carter is out indefinitely for those who are curious as to the severity of the injuries.

Pens have proved that Game 1 against the Sens was more or less a fluke. They've wone 3 in a row, including 2 in Ottawa, and have been pretty dominant in all of them. Crosby is playing out of his mind right now with 11 points in 4 games and is getting great support from Malkin. Hopefully Leopold will be back at some point in the playoffs after that vicious hit from Sutton. Really could use some more production from our defense.

I really hope that the capitals put the Habs out of their misery soon. Since i live in montreal i'm suppose to be support the Habs but let'S face it, they haven'T been a great team since Guy Carbonneau got fired last year. The got into the playoff by the backdoor because they only needed one point and they got it in a loss to the toronto maple leaf in overtime. Now they are getting clubbered by washington in the playoff.

So i really that game 5 will be the last match in this series so that they can actually learn to play as a team during the off season instead of always hoping that Price OR Halak is able to stop the puck everytime.

[YOUTUBE]Z7Pv9VD_5Ew[/YOUTUBE]

Not sure if any of you have seen this yet, but this is a prime example of why I have little to no respect for Ovechkin as a player. This type of thing is as classless as it gets. Snow-showering a six-year old flag-bearer – are you kidding me? Is that supposed to be some show of how tough you are, Alex? I'm willing to bet you'd never have done that had George Laraque been carrying that flag instead of a defenseless child. You'd be picking up whatever was left of your teeth had you done so, I'd imagine.

Pathetic.

Hey, Peoples Peeps, think you could convince Steves to come out of retirement for a night to play against AO? I'm fairly confident I could muster up the cash (along with a couple thousand other folks) to pay him to do so. I'm dying to watch Lindros v 2.0.

Yeah, AO has proven time and time again to go out of his way to be an asshole, if its not on the ice by his checks from behind he loves to do, or his multiple knee on knees, just trying to actually hurt players, it shit like this, and it makes me so happy each and ever year he fails going for the shot at something big, if its the Stanley Cup or the Olympics, getting to see him cry.

Its exactly the reason the guy should not get the Hart Trophy. Then again, I don't think Crosby has been the best for the game, but he is a lot better. Still hoping someone who has heart on and off the ice like Henrik gets to be at least a finalist. He did lead the NHL in scoring, as well as been a model of integrity off the ice. Guy donated something like $1 million to charity this year alone.

If Zach Parise played anywhere but New Jersey, he'd be the face of the league, TM – trust me. There is no better representative of the game than him, and there won't be for another decade until the next Parise-type is drafted. He's a consummate professional and a phenom on both sides of the puck. He never whines or cries to the officials, never backs down and plays the game the way it was meant to be played.

Absolutely kills me that he plays for my rival team, but he's one of the most exciting young players to watch in the game otherwise.

Sedin is a worthy candidate as well, certainly, but I'm not entirely convinced he'll walk away with it just because he led the league in scoring. The charity donations are great, as are his abilities and stats, but I'm not really sure it's enough to earn him the note just yet. A lot will depend on how well he does in the playoffs, for sure.

To my knowledge, by the way, Vincent Lecavalier is the most generous charitable donator in the league. His largest (single) contribution came a few years back when he donated $3M to the Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorders center at the All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida which the hospital used to build a new wing of the hospital (named The Lecavalier Wing in tribute to him) which included 28 rooms "capable of caring for pediatric cancer/blood disorder patients as well as those receiving blood or marrow transplants". His donation allowed for rooms to be built that had accommodations for parents to stay within the child's room.

In 2003, he partnered with Kane's Furniture and contributed $1000 for each goal he scored that season, and $300 for every assist he tallied, and he also started the Suite Stanley program where (often underprivileged) youths and families can spend the night at a Lightning game in one of the suites, and every off-season he holds a charity golf tournament in Rimouski, Quebec.

Hey, Peoples Peeps, think you could convince Steves to come out of retirement for a night to play against AO? I'm fairly confident I could muster up the cash (along with a couple thousand other folks) to pay him to do so. I'm dying to watch Lindros v 2.0.

i saw that video on puck daddy, the blog on yahoo sports. if you dont read it, i highly recommend checking it out. when i saw the video, i have to admit, i watched it in the middle of class and laughed out loud. but then i was filled with hatred. Ovi just has the worst attitude and what makes it bad is how good of a player he is. one of the top players in the world but the problem is he knows it. he thinks he has a right to do whatever because he is "alex the great". im with you IDR. id love to see the ol' captain just level him.

as for the Hart debate, i think Crosby is the best player in the world. he doesnt have the same shot as Ovi, but is still one of the best in the league, which says a lot about Ovi's shot. the thing that separates Crosby is his D, playmaking skills, and just ability to win. he just wins, and there is no other way to put it. as a devils fan, i hate cindy crysby, but i do have respect for his immense amount of skill.

Before I get to tonight's game, I will say after watching that video of Alex I can't help but think of him as a freakin punk. Just classless and all around foolish move on his part. Really, a young child Alex? That was pathetic and I hope he gets leveled sometime soon.

Now on to the buisness at hand. Tonight's game is a must win. I don't want Game 6 to be an elimination game for the Sharks and they know they don't want that either. So I expect them to come full force tonight. The top line will have to show up some time in this series and score one. Might as well be tonight. Nabby has played very well these last few games and I expect more of the same. The defense can't let him down tonight. I see Heatley and Marleau scoring one tonight and send this thing to Denver up 3-2.

I think you guys have to settle down a little bit. Did it ever occur to you that Ovie was just playing around with the kid? How do you that after he did that, he didn't go over to the kid and pat him on the head or something. You guys are blowing this way out of proportion simply because you don't like the guy.

As for the Hart, it doesn't matter what Sedin does in the playoffs because as we all know the playoffs have no bearing on the awards. It's all regular season play that's taken into account. I think it's going to be Crosby, Ovechkin, and H. Sedin as the finalists with Ovechkin winning. You can't deny what this guy brings to the rink every day and he probably brings arguably the most passion as well. Everyone has their opinion on Ovechkin (he's dirty, he's reckless, he has no respect), but I personally don't believe any of it.

That's not the only thing Ovechkin does that's not right for the game, man. Even if he was playing with that kid and we were to discard that knock against him, that does nothing to discount all the other things he does that deserve every ounce of criticism. Did you know he lead the league in suspensions this season? Gee, I wonder why?

What of all the late hits, leaving his feet for every other hit he makes, the errant elbows, hits from behind, should-be charges (on nearly every hit) and the overt lack of humility he has when he dances on the ice around his stick pretending it's on fire that he's responsible for?

You're right – I don't like him, but I don't like him for a reason. I respect what he's capable of performing, but I have no respect for who he is as a person, because he strikes me as the cockiest of the cocky type who knows how good he is and uses that to his advantage to boost his ego. He has no respect for his opponents, and even less for their safety, which is why I advocate someone giving him the ol' Steves meet Lindros to warm him up to the idea of mortality and morality alike.

well, its official. my devils are out in the first round for the third straight year. i already gave my tirade as to why this year failed so i will not say anymore. but to look on the bright side, it wasnt as disappointing as last year.

theres always next year...:disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back