How Would You Handle NHL Contraction?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Those of us/you still following the NHL through this labor dispute know that as dirty a word as it is, contraction could very well be the single most viable option to getting the game back on the ice. It's not likely to happen, but let's say it becomes a reality, for the sake of discussion.

Who do you cut your losses with (as in what teams get contracted), how do you treat the players under contract to those franchises, and how do you re-draft the lines to determine NHL conferences/divisions?

My plan would look like this:

Who to contract:

It's no secret I'm not at all a proponent of contraction. Not one bit. I hate the idea of putting this many people out of work for the "sake of the game", because the game can survive and profit, as they've proven, despite carrying so much "dead weight". I'm much more in favor of relocation, but for the purposes of this thread, assuming I absolutely had to contract, I'd pull out two clubs:

1. Phoenix first and foremost, because if ever there was a face for contraction, it's the Yotes, who bleed money like no other. The franchise has been struggling for stable ownership since it's inception, and the fact it's owned and operated by the league should be all the reason you need to support the process, Greg Jamison deal be damned.

2. Columbus would be the other — a team who is a testament to the fact that college hockey success does not equate NHL success, especially when you can't convince your fans, even over the course of a decade, that you're capable of building success. The loss of Nash is going to hit whatever support is left in Ohio hard, and it might just be hard enough to justify contraction.​

There are a slew of clubs who'd you could make an argument in favor of contracting in addition to the above, but I think there's reason to save them as well:

St. Louis, who finally seem to have a team in place that will lead to long-term success — something they need to convince fans to keep coming out.

The New York Islanders, who's move to Brooklyn should effectively reenergize a franchise on the brink of collapse. The new ownership situation should payoff in potential advertising/sponsorship support, which in turn, coupled with a rise in ticket sales, should give Wang & co. a means to spend a little more on the on-ice product. Win-win.

The Florida Panthers, who despite a tumultuous history again seem to have a Hockey Ops/front office in place with Dale Tallon at the helm that will once again give them an identity — something they haven't have since their inception when players like Bure, Vanbiesbrouck, Rob Niedermayer and Scott Mellanby were there to sell tickets.

There are others as well, but this post is gonna be long enough as it is. You get the point.

Alignment:

In terms of alignment, with just two teams leaving, I'd like to go with four divisions of 7 teams each — Adams, Norris, Patrick and Smythe, where two of each also make up the Eastern (Patrick, Adams) and Western Conferences (Norris, Smythe).

Eastern Conference:

The Patrick Division: New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes

The Adams Division: Montréal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers​

Western Conference:

The Norris Division: Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues, Nashville Predators, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Winnipeg Jetes

The Smythe Division: Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, San José Sharks, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings​

With 14 teams in each Conference, the top 7 seeds get playoff spots, and the 8th and final spot could be something of a wild card, or you could just go with the top-8 as has already been in place for years.

Remaining players:

As far as I'm concerned, with both Columbus and Phoenix dissolving, there won't be enough interest in all of their players to warrant a full on draft, but I don't think declaring them all free agents would be fair to those players either (considering they have valid contracts with the NHL already) so I'd probably begrudgingly agree to a dispersal draft where an exception can be made to not count the salary/contract of all drafted players for a few years to allow clubs who manage to luck out with the bigger ticket players to get their cap in order having added big-money players who they may not have otherwise been able to afford, cap-wise.

--

Thoughts?

I think for at least a three year period any team with new ownership shouldn't move unless its an emergency situation where the team just can't comply with the agreement of the city that they are currently operating in. The teams I have to move within 3-5 years are NJ,Phoenix,Nashville, and Columbus. I think NJ would move to a new arena in Toronto to have two teams in Toronto. Phoenix would either move to Seattle or to Edmonton if the Oilers move the Pacific Northwest. Nashville would go to Hamilton and Columbus which would be high risk would move to Las Vegas. NJ has money issues because of non-hockey bad investments. Phoenix just isn't working and the NHL privately understands a eventual move to Hamilton,Seattle,or even Saskatoon would be a much better hockey enviroment. Columbus has failed on all levels with very limited fanbase even if they compete for a playoff spot. Nashville is similiar to the Columbus situation just not enough interest.

I like the version of alignment with one conference representing an all canadian teams that could include Detroit and or Buffalo. The other conference have all american teams to set up every SC Final of Team Canada representative vs a US representative. Teams that do contract there should be a draft and players that aren't drafted if they opt to stay with the NHL they would go to a AHL Team and their contract should be honored no more than 60% of whats remaining on their contract

This whole thing is just disgusting at this point. As I type this, the NHL and NHLPA are in meeting yet again. Do I expect anything to come of it, of course not. I full on expect the season to be lost... Again... As far as moving teams and what not are concerned, here is my bit...

Phoenix: This poor team just seems to lose more and more money every year. For the past few seasons, the Coyotes managed to have pretty decent teams, but still could not put people in the seats. I am in favor of that team moving to Seattle. I just feel like hockey in the desert is really not panning out. I actually don't have any gripe against the Coyotes at all, but they just can't seem to get people to the games. One perfect example was a game two seasons ago I think it was where the Devils were playing the Coyotes in the desert and you could clearly hear a lets go Devils chant overpowering the Coyotes fans. That is not a good sign.

Columbus: At this point I think they are in the same boat as Atlanta. They've been around for a while now, have done nothing, traded away their best talents, and seem to have no real interest in winning a cup. With that being said, the fans who do care about the Jackets will surely only stick with a team that can't make the playoffs ever for so long.

New Jersey: Ouch, yes I said it... Anyone who has followed any hockey forums on WZ while I've been around knows I'm a Devils fan. That being said this one hurts to type. I go to Devils games and more often than not I am saddened. Not by the team, but out of all the arenas I've seen/been to, Prudential Center feels more like an office. It's like the vast majority of the people there are there as a result of free tickets and nothing to do. There are a couple sections of hockey fans that are crazy and into it, but that's about it. They can't sell tickets and there just isn't that much interest in New Jersey. I don't know how much of it is the fault of the Devils (Aside from building an arena in Newark....) I think a lot of it has to do with the Rangers being right there, the Flyers being right across the state and the Islanders being on the island (I expect a resurgence in fans for them when they move to Brooklyn). The prices of the tickets in New Jersey are out of this world for the average person. Personally I can afford to go to 4-6 games a year. That's about it. Forget eating at the arena. I'm sure it's the same across the league, but I feel like the Devils people who are in charge of pricing and pretty much everything outside of the team itself are in lala land somewhere. I don't know where they could go, and out of my personal bias I hope they don't go cause that's my team, but there is no excuse for a team that makes the playoffs just about every year to not be able to sell out an arena unless they're playing the Rangers or Flyers in which case 50%+ of the arena consists of visiting fans.

I've always felt the realignment wouldn't be much of an issue. I think the easiest thing to do if no other teams move over the next few years would be to flip flop Nashville and Winnipeg. That or flip Detroit and Winnipeg and realign the individual divisions or even combine the 4 divisions into two in each conference. All I have to say on that is that Florida teams have no business being in the same division as Canadian Teams........ END THIS STUPID LOCKOUT SO WE CAN HAVE SOME HOCKEY.

A7xoff just betrayed me and my trust. Was such a good friend, too. Contract the Devils? The Prudential Center is the envy of the NHL in terms of arenas, and that's NJ's only remaining major pro sports team. They can't go anywhere.

Anyway, I like IDR's premise. I think we all agree that Phoenix and Columbus are gone gone gone. That said, I'd also up and move the Florida Panthers to either Hamilton, Ontario or to either Portland or Augusta, Maine. Say what you will, but Maine is a hockey state, and they have to root for Boston teams because they have no pro sports franchise. The NHL is the only sport that could exist in Maine.

Phoenix, Columbus, one of the two Florida teams, and possibly even Carolina or Nashville all have got to go. It's all about long-term, sustained fanbases. Nashville and Carolina have fans now because they're good or have been good very recently (hell, Carolina won the cup) but the bottomline is that unless those teams stay good, there won't be any fans. Hockey is not a warm-weather sport. Sure you'll find people playing hockey in those areas but in general no one grows up yearning to play hockey, in warm weather areas. Everyone roots for a winner so when teams like Tampa Bay are good for a year or two, sure they pack the stadium but as soon as they flounder, they have no fans.

By elminating the teams mentioned above, I believe the league would be at a good number of teams, and everyone would make more money. IF they're adament about not contracting, then I'd simply relocate those teams to areas where there will be a fanbase and potential for a long-term fan base and interest.

Seattle just voted on a new arena and believe a team out there could succeed. A team in Maine would work, I believe. Quebec or another Candian team would work.

A7xoff just betrayed me and my trust. Was such a good friend, too. Contract the Devils? The Prudential Center is the envy of the NHL in terms of arenas, and that's NJ's only remaining major pro sports team. They can't go anywhere.

Anyway, I like IDR's premise. I think we all agree that Phoenix and Columbus are gone gone gone. That said, I'd also up and move the Florida Panthers to either Hamilton, Ontario or to either Portland or Augusta, Maine. Say what you will, but Maine is a hockey state, and they have to root for Boston teams because they have no pro sports franchise. The NHL is the only sport that could exist in Maine.

Trust me, it really does kill me to say it. I just can't deny what I see when I go to the games. I'm going to try and get to opening night against Philly. I hope to see a sea of red, but I'm expecting what I usually see, a 50/50 split of orange and red, but the philly fans are so much more passionate than the majority of Devils fans that seem to be there cause they can be (outside of the crazy sections of course). I'm hoping that ownership can reverse the financial situation. The team is just way too consistent and good to have such lackluster crowds. I mean last year the Devils were ranked 24th in the league in attendance. The only Eastern team below them was the Islanders.

I agree with all of that second statement. I would love to see a team in Maine. It'd be really cool to see Maine actually have a team of any kind. Being so close to Canada, it wouldn't really matter if fans in Maine come out, Habs and probably even Leafs fans would flock to Maine methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back