• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NFL QB Battles

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
We are less then a month away from NFL training camps getting under way and with training camp comes the start of competition. Even before the actual games start with the preseason, there are position competitions. None more crucial then the competition for a starting quarterback job. There are currently four teams that have already said there will be open competition for the qb job and this thread is dedicated to those four teams and who you ultimately think will win that competition, and enter the regular season as the starting quarterback.

Arizona Cardinals: Kevin Kolb vs John Skelton- Like I predicted, Kolb was a major disappointment last year with Arizona. His numbers were nothing to write home about and the team was struggling in the standings. John Skelton's numbers were even worse then Kolb's but he did one major thing better. He won football games. Skelton went 5-2 as a starter last season compared to the 3-6 record of Kolb. Obviously a lot goes into those wins, not just the play of the qb, but it was enough to make the Cardinals qb job an open competition. In the end I see Kolb out performing Skelton in training camp and the preseason, and winning the job.

Miami Dolphins: David Garrard vs Matt Moore vs Ryan Tannehill- Right away I'm going to rule out Tannehill. I personally think Tannehill will be a bust and he reminds me a lot of Blaine Gabbert from the 2011 draft (and we all know how that has gone thus far). That leaves the incumbent starter Matt Moore and David Garrard. Moore played solid last year but he was far from spectacular. He is also learning a new offense and lost his best weapon in Brandon Marshall. Garrard is a veteran who has had success in the past and has experience in the West Coast offense. I see that experience giving him the edge in this race.

Seattle Seahawks: Matt Flynn vs Russell Wilson vs Tarvaris Jackson- This is probably the most wide open and intriguing of the four competitions. Jackson is the returning starter, Flynn signed a good sized contract, and Russell Wilson is a very talented rookie with the tools to win this competition. I think once training camp starts Flynn and Wilson will set themselves apart, eliminating Jackson from the competition and possibly leading to Jackson's release. From there I see the experience factor leading to Matt Flynn pulling away after a tough battle. However, I would not be surprised if Wilson found a way to win the competition. I see a starting qb role in his future.

Tennessee Titans: Matt Hasselbeck vs Jake Locker-- Hasselbeck got off to a great start last year but he slowed down a little towards the end and struggled with some minor injuries. Locker played well in the little time he saw but is still very raw. The Titans were in playoff contention all last season and I think they will lean towards Hasselbeck because of that. However, he will be on a very short leash and I would not be surprised if we saw Locker at some point next season as the starter.

Arizona = Kevin Kolb. Zona's invested too much in him to not see what he's got for a full season. Plus an actual offseason and 2nd year in the system should help him.

Miami = Moore simply because Garrard isn't much of a threat and Tannehill really should spend some time on the bench (possibly the whole year). Moore didn't do too bad either to end the year so I'd roll with him as long as they could for the year.

Seattle = Flynn again because of the investment. You can't throw the big money at the free agent QB to have him play backup. Jackson sucks and Wilson can't hurt from being a backup. You invest in a guy like Flynn to see if what he showed against the Lions was legit. Tough to see him not win the job.

Titans = Hasselbeck will win it but Locker will end up taking it sometime during the year. Hasselbeck did a fine job for them and unless they're in trouble early (like a 1-4 2-6 type start) he should get a chance. And if they did start off like that it would be time for Locker anyways.

Arizona: 3-6 with Kolb, huh? Didnt Kolb get hurt somewhere down the line? Either way, he didnt do exactly terrible enough to lose the starting job, he actually didnt do bad at all. He wont lose the job yet, especially not to John Skeleton. Besides its only been 1 year(Half a year, actually) for Kolb anyway. Yes looking into it, Kolb did get hurt(Turf toe and Concussion). Kolb is automatically gonna be put in front of Skeleton because he hasnt had a full chance yet. If they go 1-4, obviously Kolb is gonna be benched. Thats just the way things go.

Miami: Do they honestly have faith in David Garrard? Really? The man is 34 years old and has been a slightly-above average QB in his career, hes not getting any better and his last years in the NFL have not been anything memorable. Hes coming off back surgery too. Im a Jets fan so put either QB in there and im good anyway. The Dolphins have no Wide recievers to stretch the field and make big plays either. So keep Ryan T. on the bench and just go for an experiment year with Moore. Moore isnt gonna be successful, but who knows. Im pretty bias here so I honestly would pick either Ryan T. or Moore. Garrard should sit on the bench.

Seattle: Flynn is your man. You paid top dollar for him and now your stuck with him. Plain and simple. Jackson has had so many chances and has failed every one of them. Good luck Seattle. I know nothing about Wilson to make an argument.

Titans: Honestly I would just build the rookie up. Matt Hasselbeck is on borrowed time and his best years are way behind him. Locker hasnt done anything yet, but he hasnt done anything wrong yet either. I would experiment with Locker for the 1st half of the season, hell just keep him there the entire time. Hasselbeck is gonna be 37 when the season begins, and the Titans arent a team to make a serious run now. Go with the youth.

Hey you forgot: Tony Romo vs The Media That Want's To See Him Fail and the REST OF THE PLANET BECAUSE HE'S THE COWBOYS QB!

But seriously, great topic and great writing broski.

Arizona Cardinals: Kevin Kolb vs John Skelton- I think Big Sexy is right on the money with this one. Kolb will likely land the job in the preseason, but if he doesn't do a better job than last year and the Cards start to get in a bad situation I won't be surprised if Ken Whisenhunt cuts his losses and puts Skelton in when they're at the point that they are in a make or break situation. As Big Sexy noted, Skelton DID win games and that's what it all comes down to. This one is going to be up for grabs the whole season.

Miami Dolphins: David Garrard vs Matt Moore vs Ryan Tannehill-
Ryan Tannehill will not play a single game this season unless someone gets injured. Moore is not the answer Miami was looking for, that answer went to Denver. That leaves David Garrard. While Garrard might not be what most think of as a top notch or even dependable quarterback, one can not forget the fact that David Garrard was never working with a stacked deck either and was still able to thrive when he was holding the joker card, a deuce of diamonds, 2 Uno cards, and an advance to "go" collect $200 monopoly card against full houses and flushes. This kind of situation is his forte and with some decent coaching from Joe Philbin who will hopefully bring over some of the success he had as OC with Green Bay, and the few offensive tools he has to his disposal, I think Garrard can help them have at the least a better season than they did in 2011.

Seattle Seahawks: Matt Flynn vs Russell Wilson vs Tarvaris Jackson-
I don't think Seattle would have shelled out the dough for Matt Flynn if they didn't intend on him being the starter. He's shown promise and poise in Green Bay, he's shown that he has the tools to bring something to Seattle that they have not enjoyed at the quarterback position for quite some time: Stability. Jackson was likely out the door as soon as the season ended, he's proven he's mediocre and that he's simply not a winner. Russell Wilson is the guy they are going to groom for tomorrow and possibly keep on the bench behind Flynn unless someone decides that back-up is an appropriate place for Jackson but I don't see it going that way. I think they want Russell to be the backup so that he can play in some preseason games to get a feel for NFL football, while they slowly and steadily work him into that leading position.

Tennessee Titans: Matt Hasselbeck vs Jake Locker-
I think this is the easiest one to decipher and it comes back to Matt Hasselbeck keeping his starting position. If they can protect him a bit better this season, his affinity for injury won't be an issue this season. Jake Locker is definitely the next in line, but as long as Hasselbeck is still playing well and keeping them in the hunt, there's no reason to go back on that and put Locker as the starter instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back