New York Region, St. Louis Subregion: First Round:(14)Lex Luger vs. (19)Dory Funk Jr.

Who Wins This Match

• Lex Luger

• Dory Funk Jr.

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the New York Region.

This match takes place in the Scottrade Center, St. Louis, Missouri.

front.jpg

#14 Lex Luger

luger_big.jpg

Vs.

#19 Dory Funk Jr.

funk-doryjr03.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

I absolutely HATE Lex Luger! Always have, and always will. But, I think he beats Dory Funk Jr.

As much as I hate to admit it, Luger is a Legend and has achieved a lot of success. I totally see this match ending with The Torture Rack. Maybe a "Loaded Elbow" to Dory's head sets it up.

I just can't convince myself to vote for Dory in this match. I would almost never vote Luger unless I was totally convinced he should beat his opponent and it would look stupid to vote otherwise. This is one of those matches.

Luger is shit. He's clumsy in the ring. He misses more than half of his high impact moves, and solely depends on his strength. Dory Funk, Jr. is a veteran of ring wars across the world... a former NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion and is a master of capitalizing on someone's mistakes, which Luger will make a lot of.

Dory Funk Jr. wins this after Luger goes for a clothesline into the corner, misses, and knocks himself cold.

[YOUTUBE]pZgljLW43o0[/YOUTUBE]

I am not well versed in Dory, but I do know a bit about his brother. Terry is a legend in the hardcore world, and in the wrestling world. But it seems as if he outshines his brother a bit. How I'm not quite sure, but I guess that’s how it turns. Lex is extremely overrated to me due to his WCW days, like Lariat said he was very botchy in the ring. That’s a fact, the match I posted is a pretty good example for both Dory and Jerry Brisco in this tournament. Both were huge in the Nwa scene back in the day and put on an absolute clinic with this match. I'm sure better matches could be put up, but really post a Luger video of him doing half this shit?

Dory by a mile.

Dory Funk Jr. was NWA world champion for four and a half years. Lex Luger is the definition of underachiever. Luger was given opportunity after opportunity but could never be the top guy for any decent length of time. Dory should advance here.

luger definately had his moments, but overall was nothing but a bodybuilder with a 'loaded' forearm.

dory funk jr was credited to create the texas cloverleaf, one of the longest running NWA champs in history & runs the funking conservatory that trained some of the best wrestlers in the past decade. luger would be taken to school & limp to the back to the lex express- crying '...but i body slammed yokozuna!'

I actually like Luger, though I'll agree about him not being anywhere near perfect in the ring. But no amount of running elbows or torture racks will win him this match. Dory Jr. would make a mockery out of Luger in the ring.

Dory Funk Jr with ease. It has already been stated that Luger sucks so I see no reason for me to go further into that. What I do want to get into though is how it is complete and utter bullshit that Dory is seeded 19th here. I mean come on guys seriously he is not only one of the best in ring competitors ever but he might also be one of the best world champions of all time. All i can do is shake my head.

Look, the vitriol aimed at Triple H has always made me think that the IWC hates nepotism. Well, I've got news for the people that looked at wikipedia, saw Dory Funk held a title for ages then came to slag Lex Luger off - Dory Funk is possibly the biggest beneficiary of nepotism ever. His father, a board member and owner of one of the biggest territories in the NWA seized the opportunity to push him during the barren period following Thesz's retirement. Kinski wasn't working, they needed someone else, and there was nobody obvious, so Dory Sr. pushed his son. Dory Jr. became the world champion within a year of debuting. It took Harley Race 10 years, by comparison. Dory then was kept in the role by a lot of shadiness, and when it finally came to drop the title, it was still creative control city, with Dory Sr unwilling to have him drop it to a face, as he had forced Kinski to do previously. Once he dropped the title, Dory went back to teaming with and being worse than his brother before becoming a respected trainer. I've oversimplified things and sold him short there - he wasn't bad at all - but to suggest he was somehow worthy of having an NWA title reign longer than anything Race or Flair did is borderline ridiculous.

Luger on the other hand is routinely undersold by the IWC, myself included. What is undeniable is that Luger bossed the midcard and had longer US title and NWA title reigns than was common at the time. I don't think anyone has ever held a midcard title longer than he held the US title. His first reign with the WCW belt was longer than any reign Sting, Goldberg or Flair ever had. That's a big deal. He was also the first man to successfully wrest the title off the nWo, albeit briefly. I came into this match undecided, but having seen some of the bullshit, I'm going with Luger. This is why you have to contextualise the results from 40 years ago.

Where the shit is all the Lex Luger hate coming from? I don't care if he was "shit", or was "clumsy" looking in the ring, or anything else that's naive and simply stupid to say. The guy was a proven WINNER.

He defeated Yokozuna, and Hulk Hogan - both being at the top of their games, in WWF and WCW. Something Dory f'n Funk would've NEVER did. EVER. E.V.E.R. Luger gets a bad deal because of being "warrior-like" and also due to personal shit he was involved in. He has been a multi-time World Heavyweight Champion for a major Company.

I don't know if people knew this, or even cared to look into it before foolishing voting against him - but Luger has been apart of some very impressive matches with the likes of Sting, Flair, Dusty Rhodes, and several other top named Wrestlers. He's beaten a lot of high profile guys, and deserves every bit of it.

Luger gets my vote because a guy like him, would go over a guy like Funk. Loaded elbow, torture rack, it really doesn't matter.

Luger gets way too much of a bad rap. He wasn't tremendous in the ring but he certainly wasn't bad. No worse then a guy like Batista was. Tastycles has already stated why Funk's long NWA title reign is vastly overrated. Let's also not forget that it was Funk's only NWA World Title reign. Luger is a 2 time WCW champion. He had a nice 7 month run with the belt in the early 90's after defeating Barry Windham in a brutal cage match. He also had a short reign after beating Hollywood Hogan for the belt in 1997. Luger was the first WCW guy to take the world title from Hogan and the NWO. It may be somewhat close but my vote goes to Luger.

I voted Luger. Luger, in his prime, took the belt off of Hollywood Hogan before anyone else did. That says a great deal about his marketability and attraction despite his "underachieving."

Lex Luger was and always will be shit. The primary reason why Luger succeeded was because the promotions surrounded him with vastly more talented wrestlers. When he was a member of the Four Horsemen, he was surrounded by arguably the 3 best heels in the business at the time and arguably the best heel manager in the business at the time. The man was surrounded by incredible talent and they made him look good by association. Luger was also someone that never really "made it" as World Champion. In WCW during the late 80s, he was always the guy chasing Ric Flair. He was always in the hunt and never quite managed to bag himself the big kill of his career. In the WWF, when he was probably more over than he'd ever been, it was pretty much the same thing. He spent most of 1993 and the first half of 1994 chasing Yokozuna and the WWF Championship and was never quite able to close the deal.

Dory Funk Jr. was a great technician, very tough and would be able to capitalize and counter everything that Luger threw at him. I've no doubt that Luger would knock him around a bit. A few clothelines here and there, a near endless string of punches, maybe a gorilla press slam here and there but, in the end, I think Funk would take him down.

Lex Luger by an eyelash. Luger has been a significant contributor to every roster he has been on. He was big and muscular, decent on the mic, and was a prominent guy in both WWF and WCW. As others have said, he was the first to defeat the heel Hollywood Hogan back in the prime days of the nWo. It could be argued that he was better as the predator than he was as the prey, but he was plausible in the ring either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back