• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My Top 5 Worst PPV endings of all time

Since I do not want to repeat everybody else because I agree with most off you I would say Goldberg's streak ending with a Scott hall interference. Lacing nash booking himself to end the streak was a horrible business move.

Since I do not want to repeat everybody else because I agree with most off you I would say Goldberg's streak ending with a Scott hall interference. Lacing nash booking himself to end the streak was a horrible business move.

Horrible business move? Arguable. But worst ending to a PPV? Hardly. The next night on Nitro had 40,000 in attendance and saw an increase in viewers over Raw. If there were that many people watching, it means they were interested. So it's hard to claim that it was worse than Hogan-Sid or Hardy-Sting.

One that nobody has mentioned yet was the Montreal Screwjob. Talk about a way to end a hot PPV, we saw the WWF champ get legit screwed out of the title on a major PPV against a legit enemy with his own move. It might have not been a big deal to some American viewers, but as a Canadian kid, my heart sunk that night.

Worst PPV ending for so many, many reasons.

Halloween Havoc 2000 - Ends with a 2 on 1 handicapped match, Goldberg squashes Kronik in 2 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2FcjyTquA

King of the RIng 1995 - Sid & Tatanka vs. Bam Bam & Diesel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzKqDvO1PG8

December to Dismember - Extreme Elimintation Chamber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_OzvLdn3ew

Summerslam 93 - We had a summer full of the Lex Express tour only to conclude with Luger beating Yoko by countout and he celebrated like he had won the title. This was the 1st time I truly remember being pissed as a kid at the ending of a PPV. Cant beleive my dad had to drop 30 bucks on that nonsense.
Lex Express: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDG_FFgN0E
Awful Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3wpY-07byY&feature=related

And Victory Road with Hardy.

And to those who say WM8. The match itself sucked, but one of the most memorable mark out moments as a child was when The Warrior's music hit and he returned and Bobby Heenan lost his shit on commentary.... "Is he going to attack Hogan??"

Wrestlemania 11 All in all a terrible terrible ppv!! Garbage in my opinion and the LT vs Bigelow match was just terrible!! Bad booking IMO and the fact the LT went over in that match shows how horrible the PPV was,

Wrestlemania 9 Yes the best match of the night was the opening match HBK vs Tatanka!! Other than that a really bad ppv especially when hogan flexed his muscles screwed bret hart in the process and yokozuna!! Just a bad PPV with the exception of hte opening bout!

Summerslam 95 The lex express was a good idea to start out with. I liked it not a bad idea the american hero going up against the best yokozuna! But the fact it ended on a countout was just bad bad planning. When you have a match like that there must be a solid ending IMO not a lame ass countout!!

King of the Ring 95 IMO argubably one of the worse PPV's of all time not just KOTR!! The fact that mable won of all people are you serious there WWE? Why not didnt they have Taker win this I will never know!! Mable should have never been allowed to win that tournament!! Horrible decision

Breaking point 2009 Talk about a PPV IMO it just had no flow whatsoever!! Kane vs Khali was a slow and really painful match to watch!! Just wasnt that great of a match at all Kane has had way better matches but Khali can make anybody look bad IMO! The Punk Vs Taker match was really weird. If you remember taker had the hells gate hold on punk but teddy long comes down and says the hold was banned months ago and restarts the match. Then Punk locks on the Anaconda vice and the ref runs down the aisle to ring the bell! We all know taker has never officially tapped out but that match was weird to say the least!! Orton vs Cena in a I Quit match was ok but personally i would have had orton go over in that one

Anyone remember WCW Uncensored 1998 when Hogan vs Macho in Cage and Sting drops and they just beat up Sting, and thats how it ends?!?!? Seemed a lot of wcw ppvs ended weird.

Also even though I like what TNA did with Bobby Roode, I was at Bound for Glory and I still think it would have been better if he beat Angle there...they could have had a jealously type story line and still had him untimately fued with Storm by this point.

Starrcade 97's ending was a cluster, Sting should have beat Hogan fair or at atleast have Hart come beat up any NWO members who got involved but still let Sting beat Hogan fair.

Never understood the Nash/Goldberg criticism. Goldberg's streak was old at this point. It was actually the best way to end it....controversially. Nitro the next night, now that was a clusterfuck. Goldberg should've destroyed Nash.

Not sure about top 5, but one of the worst PPV endings I can remember was Wrestlemania 8. The "big 4" PPV's were alive and well back then and Wrestlemania was still the grandaddy of them all. To be fair, the Savage/Flair bout for the world title was pretty incredible and at the time, I was shocked that Flair dropped the title to Savage. In hindsight, this match really should have closed the show as opposed to the proverbial train wreck that we got.

But no... Hogan had to be in the spotlight, at Wrestlemania, one more time. I'll concede the fact that this match was supposed to be a big deal, given that it was indirectly billed as Hogan's retirement match. I don't remember it being heavily advertised that way, but some definite allusions were made that this may have been the last time we saw Hulk in the ring. To that degree, the match needed to end in a decisive win or lose for Hogan.

Even back then, I thought the Sid/Hogan feud was pretty weak all the way around. This is despite me being a pretty big fan of Sid at the time. The match itself was pretty ho-hum, with the typical Hogan vs. [Insert Bigger Guy Here] blueprint playing out. Papa Shango missing the run-in actually provided for one of the few exciting parts of the bout when Sid kicked out of the infamous legdrop. It's sad when a "mistake" turns out to be one of the more interesting points of the match proper.

When Shango finally woke up and meandered his way down to the ring, the ref saw the interference and called for the DQ. So the main event of the biggest show of the year ended in a disqualification. That's an automatic minus in my book. The Ultimate Warriors return was supposed to save this attrocity, but the entire fan base (including me at home) was left doing little more than a double-take. The music was familiar and the get-up was similar, but was this the same guy? He looked so different. This is where the "Warriors Dead" rumors turned up no doubt. He was barely recognizable.

The main problem I have with the ending of Wrestlemania 8 though is that WWF had a fantastic main event in Flair/Savage that could've easily closed the show and left the crowd happy. The DQ ending between Hogan and Sid, despite the return of the Warrior, left a sour taste in my mouth. This was Wrestlemania! This was teased as Hogan's final match! To have it end inconclusively was borderline insulting.

I will agree with one part but mostly I disagree with this post. Hogan going on last had nothing to do with ego or his need to be in the spotlight. It was the logical way to close the show given the surprise return of the Warrior. Yes, Savage vs. Flair was a great match and a popular star winning the title seems like it a logical main event. For as good as it was the highlight of the night was the Warrior return. Imagine Hogan vs. Sid switching places with Savage vs. Flair. The Warrior's return wouldn't seem right in the middle of the show.

I will agree that Hogan vs. Sid turned out to be a bad match and the execution of the finish was terrible. Sid should have just been pinned after the leg drop. Despite the lousy execution the booking order of the show was done right.

You, sir, lost my attention and my respect for your opinion when you claimed the Iron Man Match at WM 12 was a "dishonorable mention." What exactly about that match made it a horrible ending? The fact that HBK and Bret Hart put on a 5 star classic, with no falls, and it added to the drama that the time ran out and they needed overtime to decide it? It was one of the greatest matches of all-time and the ending just added to it. Then, you had HBK celebrating because his "boyhood dream came true." It was truly a moment and if you think that ending was bad, you probably have ridiculous standards.

I'm happy to agree to disagree with you.

My issue with the HBK/Bret Hart Iron Man match was the over reliance on the same rest holds for large parts of the match and the lack of pinfalls. I'm dislike John Cena and I find Randy Orton to be mostly uninteresting, but their Iron Man match at Bragging Rights (shockingly IMHO) was far superior whilst the Rock/Triple H match was outstanding depite the dodgy ending.

The only reason Wrestlemania 12 didn't make my top 5 was because the right person won and it was an important moment for the WWF, but the execution in getting to that stage was not in anyway a 5 star match by either wrestlers standards. The WWF would have been better off with a 2-3 falls match going for half the time, showcasing both men' incredible talents.

Those are my 5 cents worth, but as I said I'm happy to agree to disagree with you.

I will agree with one part but mostly I disagree with this post. Hogan going on last had nothing to do with ego or his need to be in the spotlight. It was the logical way to close the show given the surprise return of the Warrior. Yes, Savage vs. Flair was a great match and a popular star winning the title seems like it a logical main event. For as good as it was the highlight of the night was the Warrior return. Imagine Hogan vs. Sid switching places with Savage vs. Flair. The Warrior's return wouldn't seem right in the middle of the show.

I will agree that Hogan vs. Sid turned out to be a bad match and the execution of the finish was terrible. Sid should have just been pinned after the leg drop. Despite the lousy execution the booking order of the show was done right.

I agree. Warrirors return mid show would have been horrible. Fast forward 10 years and Hogan/Rock goes on before a great world title main event in Jericho/HHH. I feel Jericho/HHH doesnt get the respect it deserves because everyone was still on how epic Hogan/Rock was. Now, Im certainly not comparing Hogan/Sid to Hogan/Rock but the return of the Warrior was pretty awesome at the time. Point being if we get the Hogan/Warrior reunion mid show it may have taken away from Flair/Savage.

Also Im kind of shocked on all the hate for this match. Even with the botched ending I enjoyed the build up, the big match feel, and the Warrior return. Top 5? No way but I dont see bottom 5 either. Also, give them credit for showcasing Warriors biggest talent: that was one long run to the ring

Hi everyone, first post here and I couldn't start posting in this forum in a better thread. :) sorry in advance for any grammar/vocab mistake, I'm hundred percent Italian and even though I traveled enough to write speak and understand the beautiful language that english is I honestly can't help screwing up at times, it must just be in our blood. :shrug:

#5 survivor series 1997: So much heat in the arena before the match, justified by what was going to happen. As the author said McMahon not only screwed Bret out of the title but showed how meaningless personal relationships are to him, thing that would be noticed by many others as WWF became bigger and bigger. I mean, If not even Bret Hart could trust Vince at the end of his journey in Vince's company, who could? The klique only of course: reason why I hate HHH and HBK, but that's another story. Terrible ending for a PPV anyways, they risked so much in terms of fan appreciation of the product. If I were following at the time (and if I were American) I would not have watched WWF for as much as possible just trying to help WCW finally put WWF out of business. Then Stone Cold and crappy WCW happened...but that's a third story.

#4 Wrestlemania 2000: already a lot has been said here, I just wanna point out that my feelings were not as bad as probably those of the people in the arena were, I just thought they must have decided that it was the right way to give Hunter "credibility" and that the victory would have been a crucial point of his career. Everybody knows that Trips would have made it even without that win, so he should not have. I just recognize it as a very very bad piece of booking, nothing personal. My beef with Triple H is somewhere else. :D

#3 Wrestlemania 28: Look at my nickname, laugh, leave me alone. I just do NOT accept the story of Cena behaving disrespectfully and therefore losing, I assume it has been already discussed here so Im not gonna externate my view of the whole story/feud/build up...but in my opinion Rockys win was pure, senseless crap.

#2 Victory Road 2011: wait, weren't wrestlers our heroes who, win or lose, would always go back on their feet and stand up for themselves?
Well, lil Jeff disappointed me over there, and the really sad thing was that he probably wrestled in way worse psychophysical conditions in the past but the fact that he was going to headline a PPV raised backstage's expectations on him. Never mind he was passed out before the match, I'm positive he got out there on drugs and amazed millions of people dozens of times, when he wasn't scared of this that and those. The main event for the world title, Sting, expectations, the long match, the one on one...all of those things concourred in that major fail that was Victory Road 2011 not only for TNA but for wrestling in general...and for Jeff Hardy, of course.

#1 Over The Edge 1999: The most disgusting decision ever made by Vince McMahon, far more despicable than the Montreal screwjob, the exploiting Of Eddie's death storylinewise, Eddie-Rey Dominick storyline, Mae Yound giving birth to a hand, Stand up for the WWE Campaign...combined together and doubled, tripled if you will. I don't think I need an explanation, Edge, Mark Henry and many more spoke for me the next day on RAW and told everybody why the love for Owen Hart should have made Vinnie go one step back, especially cuz it was a technical incident that killed Owen, and not an inter-talent fact (Bruiser Brody story, Misawa) or a wrestler's mind (Benoit, Pillman) or body (Eddie, Bulldogg) collapsing. When I saw the footage I thought that nowhere else in the show business any live show would have carried with its scheduled. It was horrible, just horrible.

I was in attendance for WM 2000 and I'll tell you, the fans weren't pissed because HHH won. They didn't leave the arena unhappy because of this.

This was a time when Undertaker, Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels were absent from the WWF and the internet rumors were buzzing about a possible return for one or more of those guys at the big event in Anaheim.

After Vince turned on the Rock and when the ref counted his shoulders down for the 3 count...everybody (at least in my section) had their eyes glued to the entrance way. We KNEW someone was coming out and making a big return (or debut).

But as we all know it never happened. THAT is the reason we left the arena pissed. Although I have to say, I was still high off that triangle laddermatch...that alone was worth the money for me.

Sorry to get off topic, I'll try and muster up a list of bad PPV finishes.

One that doesn't appear to be mentioned is In Your House : Beware Of Dog. Aside from a storm which caused viewers to miss the bulk of the show, the ending of a double-pin was such a letdown.

I bought that PPV and was disappointed - I appreciate the blackout wasn't down to the WWF but I wonder if Vince McMahon considered changing the finish to placate the PPV viewers and the live audience?

Anyways, that aside - other pics would be:

Summerslam 1995 - a boring ppv with a predictable ending. Luger's run-in didn't make any sense at the time and even less a few days later when he appeared on Nitro.

King Of The Ring 1995, a flat ppv with a dull tag match, previously mentioned.

Lockdown 2012. What a stupid finish it was to have Storm cost himself the title in the cage match.

Survivor Series 1997 - already discussed.

Trying to stick to actual finishes as stuff like Diesel vs Mabel and Hogan vs Sid sucking are not PPV endings, they are just bad main event matches., and the Warrior returning was actually the ending of the latter. I'm leaving off Hardy vs Sting as the finish wasn't the wrong call, having the match at all was.

5. Uncensored 96 - The previous year Savage lost a no DQ match to Avalanche via..you guessed it, DQ, and Vader lost a strap match to Hogan when Hogan pulled Flair to all 4 corners as Vader wouldn't job.

However the Doomsday cage blew that stupidity away, one LONG dreadful ending that saw the main event heel roster along with some huge rent a monsters buried in a 20 vs 2 handicap match against Hogan and Macho.

4. WrestleMania 25 - Orton's heat had slowly eroded since the punt on Vince with both Shane and Vince making Legacy look like chumps by being able to go toe to toe with them, and the match was a soulless phoned in bore, but something could have been salvaged had Orton went over clean, but he didn't.

3. Roadwild 98 - Jay Leno pins Eric Bischoff to end a PPV........

2. WrestleMania 9 - Hulk Hogan is the biggest star in the history of wrestling and also the most selfish, he hogged Savage's spotlight at IV but at least he had the belt. Bret was essentially unceremoniously dumped so Hogan could take his seat at the head of the table back, it felt like someone had just pressed reset after 5 months of seeing a fresh face on top.

1. Starrcade 97 - An 18 month angle down the drain because Hogan once again couldn't simply take a back seat. Sting never fully regained his momentum after the screwy finish and I think it hurt WCW long term as it showed them as unable to deliver a pay off. It should have been wrestling 101 stuff, the face wins clean in triumphant return against biggest enemy in "Match of the Century"....Not on Hulk's watch brother!

Dishonourable mentions to WrestleMania X (Bret deserved to win the title with a better finish than Yoko falling off the ropes) and Mania 27, a finish that was essentially a trailer for the next years main event.

My five worst: (and all of mine involve the World Title, or the bastardizing of it...)

Honorable WCW Mention (and previously unmentioned I think...):
Uncensored 2000 - Hollywood Hulk Hogan (c) vs. Ric Flair
First Blood Barbed-Wire Cage Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Title

So Hogan was getting cheered and wanted to be a face again, Flair was getting cheered but wanted to be a heel again. So they arranged not only the non-sensical double-turn (complete with half of the roster flipping over with them) but the WORST ending to a First Blood match ever! Flair cuts himself accidentally and bleeds like a stuck pig, but the ref doesn't stop the match. Then Hogan finally bleeds and the ref doesn't stop the match. Finally, Hogan is locked into Flair's figure-4 leglock and Hogan's shoulders are counted on the mat. A pinfall victory in a First Blood Barbed Wire Cage Match?! Ending the PPV on a very odd double turn?!

5. Wrestlemania 19 - Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle (c)
WWF Title Match

This is not about the match itself but the true ending of it. Lesnar goes to the top rope to finish off Angle. He sets up and executes the biggest Shooting Star Press in history...only to land 3 inches from Kurt Angle! He gave himself a concussion and was dizzy for the rest of the night. Angle had to get up like he rolled out of the way even Lesnar had already landed, then had to improvise the counter into Lesnar's F-5. Again, not a comment on the match itself, but what a sloppy way to end a huge PPV!

4. Wrestlemania 27 - The Miz (c) vs. John Cena w\ The Rock
WWE Title match - No Holds Barred

What an awful way to stomp on both your top champion and your top star. I'm a fan of The Rock, but the PPV in general just wasn't that good and the ending made it all the worst. The Rock is awesome but there's no way he should have been the primary focus for the main event. I was at a Wrestlemania party and no one was happy how it ended.

3. Wrestlemania 11 - Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Nothing like pushing your WWF Title match with your two top draws to 2nd slot for a coked-out football player and a lifetime midcarder. Bam Bam did the best he could, but no true wrestling fan was OK with LT ending the PPV, especially when Diesel won the match and still would have gotten the feel-good moment from the fans!

2. Wrestlemania 2000 - HHH (c) vs. The Rock vs. Mick Foley vs. The Big Show
Fatal Four-Way for the WWF Title

I don't even care that HHH won the match. I'm more about the clusterfuck that became Vince turning heel for the 897th time, and for not bringing back Austin (who came back at Backlash) or The Undertaker (who came back at Judgement Day) at your headliner. Fans will forgive a screwy ending as long as someone or something happens. (Unless it's Wrestlemania 8...)

1. Wrestlemania 9 - Yokozuna (c) vs. Hulk Hogan
Impromptu WWF Title Match

Mr. Fuji is the worst manager in the world. What kind of guy puts a 505 lb. wrestler, who wrestled an intense physical match already, against a rested 300 lb. multi-time champion with a history of fucking with him (Hogan and Fuji have history from the old days, right?)? For the most prestigious title that he won the Royal Rumble just to get a shot at? That'd be like the New England Patriots beating the Philadephia Eagles for the Super Bowl, then going "Hey, New York Giants, let's have an impromptu game for the Super Bowl trophy RIGHT NOW?!"

And that doesn't even count the weak way Yokozuna won\Bret Hart lost. (Salt in the eyes can knock a guy out?!) Just sad.

IMO, Victory Road 2011 could've been salvaged somewhat. Why not have the 90 second match, where Sting forced Hardy down for the 3 count and then have Sting challenge somebody else directly afterward? It makes him look like a legit tough guy and made Hardy look like a bum (which is how he should be viewed as...to do something like this is no better than any of the shenanigans Jake the Snake or Scott Hall have pulled, but Hardy gets a pass...I don't get it). Why not have someone like AJ Styles or Daniels or Roode, heck, even Flair rush down for a match? Sting and Flair couldn't put on a decent match (with as many times they have wrestled each other)? Just ANYBODY to send the crowd home happy after that disaster that was the 90 second main event.

I think this is a great idea. Although I think they should have publically said Hardy is unable to perform, and then replace him with someone else. Even if someone who had already wrestled that night had come out and challenged Sting, and just had any kind of match...it would have been better than the final match of the PPV being that 90 second insult to wrestling.

Jeff Hardy is extremely lucky to still be in employment in TNA, and I am very glad to see that he seems to be healthy and clean right now. There is no doubt in my mind that the ending of that PPV is the worst of all time. I know there are arguments for X or Y being the worst endings because of the terrible endings to matches, but having the a main event where one of the wrestlers is so drugged up that he is unable to perform is far and way the worst.

Hardy should not have been out there at all. He could have seriously injured himself or Sting. I have always been a Hardy fan, but he disppointed me so much that night.

No order

1) Victory Road 2011

2) Uncensored 98 - Macho turns on Sting when he comes out to help him fend off Hogan & Disciple and then spits at Hogan & Disciple before he leaves the cage, not rejoining the nWo or anything. Pointless.

3) Halloween Havoc 95 - So earlier in the night, Hogan & Giant compete in a Monster Truck Battle which leads to Giant falling off a building then later in the night, Giant comes out for his match with Hogan without a scratch on him or anything. After Giant wins the title by DQ with help from Jimmy Hart, Luger turns heel (which wasn't the bad part, Luger & Hogan had been going at it since his arrival on Nitro) and the PPV ends with Giant & The Mummy or should I say The Yeti, humping Hogan, front & back in a sandwich.

4) Hell In A Cell 2010 - Disappointing for so many reasons; how the the heel turn was done and that Taker vs. Kane in a HIAC match was a dream match but it turned out to be just awful. My beef is more with the heel turn. So Taker is going for the Tombstone, lights go out, Paul Bearer is in the ring with the Urn just as Taker has Kane up on his shoulder for a Tombstone and Bearer shines the light from the Urn into Taker's eyes, blinding him. Taker gets up, clueless as to Bearer's heel turn then he just stands there & watches on as Bearer hands the Urn to Kane and gets knocked out with the Urn before getting pinned. One of the most poorly executed heel turns.

5) Sin - So there's a 4th mystery man in the Fatal 4 Way main event. This masked mystery man arrives with Flair just right before the end of the match but by this time Sid has already broken his leg & just lying there in the ring. Realistically, Steiner could've just pinned Sid and be done with the match before the 4th man entered but instead they wait on the 4th man to arrive in the ring then this masked mystery man delivers a punch to the back of Sid's head, helping Steiner, and Steiner stomps him before he pins him to retain the belt and then the masked man reveals himself to be Animal.

Honorable mentions:

Bound For Glory 2011

Armageddon 2006 - The tag main event between Batista/Cena and Finlay/Booker was just a complete bore. They should've ended the PPV with Mr. Kennedy/Taker, who had a good Last Ride match and it was their final match together, so that was more important.

Starrcade 99 - I didn't mind the Montreal Screwjob being rehashed, it was a logical way to beat Goldberg; if Goldberg were beat clean or any other way, people would still bitch even more. The screwjob just wasn't done right though, what with Piper ringing for the bell before Bret even got the submission fully applied on Goldberg which wrecked up everything.

Souled Out 99 - The whole point of the main event between Goldberg & Scott Hall in the Ladder Taser match was for Goldberg to win & get his revenge on Hall for what happened at Starrcade. After the match is over, Bigelow comes out, attacks both Hall & Goldberg then Hall zaps Bigelow & Goldberg with the Taser to end the PPV, getting the last laugh on Goldberg.

Great American Bash 2004 - As if ending the PPV on Taker vs. Dudleys wasn't bad enough, Paul Bearer is locked in a concrete crypt with the stipulation being that if Dudleys wins, Bearer is buried in concrete but if Taker wins, Bearer is freed. So Taker wins the match but then decides to bury Paul in the concrete anyway, killing him live on PPV.

Uncensored 99 - It's supposed to be a First Blood Cage match between Flair & Hogan, Charles Robinson screws Hogan causing a double turn for Hogan & Flair and the match ends with a pin not with somebody bleeding.

Uncensored 2000 - It's a Strap match between Hogan & Flair, Hogan touches all 4 corners then pins Flair (or it might've been the other way around) but since where are there pins are in a Strap match? And could anybody really believe that in the new millenium, Hogan & Flair were still main eventing PPV's and with Hogan still in the red & yellow?

I wanted to post on this thread just so I could mention Starcade 97. Most anticipated WCW ppvs of all time where Sting was to be the triumphant hero, but it was messed up royally. To much confusion at the end and Sting won no where near clean. It was a year long story line that could have been huge for WCW and it wasn't to be.

Victory Road 11 is on par with Starcade. Can't really say anything that hasn't been said.

Wrestlmaina 9 - Another one that has been mentioned again and again. I was a Hogan fan at the time, and still though this was not good.

Wrestlemania 11- I just hated the fact that LT went over in the main event. I understand I guess why they did it, but it didn't have to be the main event. HBK/Diesel could have just as easily went on last.

Curious to see if this happened to anyone else during Royal Rumble 91. Earthquake and hogan were the last 2 in the ring and the ppv was running long, and it just cut off before the end happened. It was something I remember as a kid and had to add it in. Did this happen to anyone else?

These are 5 that I can remember off the top of my head.

That First Blood Flair-Hogan match was a great example at how you cant force the crowd to buy what you're selling just because you tell them to.

This is also a great example as to why you dont Wrestlers complete creative control. In early 99 WCW was doing huge numbers with Hogan's return and the subsequent Nash lead re formation of the real NWO, not the split roster mid carder filled faction we'd been suffering through for much of 98. Flair's return was red hot, he was 2nd to Goldberg in popularity at that point, and fans were eating up the idea of the real, lean, viscious NWO waging war on WCW, only this time with WCW having some power (Flair had replaced Bischoff as president). So WCW buries Goldberg, turns Flair heel for no reason, inexplicably turns Hogan face, and *@#€cans the NWO in the process. The crowd at this PPV in Louisville sits in virtual silence the whole match as the hero Flair wrestles like a cowardly villain and the heel Hogan suddenly looks like an unbeatable super hero (3 weeks earlier Hogan couldnt beat Flair clean even though he had cracked ribs from a Hogan lead NWO beatdown right before their bout). Not only does the crowd not buy what they are seeing, they didnt like it either (notice the largely favorable pop the end gets when Flair wins the belt, basically going against everything they tried to do in the match). This match stands as a shinning example of how WCW killed itself.

Of course, ratings and fan reactions aside, the biggest problem is Hogan, who wanted to be a good guy again, regardless of anything else. Hogan also didnt want to job cleanly to Flair (there were stories Nash, who was booker at the time, asked Hogan to drop the title at SuperBrawl to capitolize on Flair's popularity but he said no). If they wanted to give Flair a title run it should have happened at SuperBrawl, giving WCW fans what they wanted forever, Flair over Hogan. However, the biggest money was in a heel Hollywood Hogan vs Goldberg with the title on the line, especially given their history. With Hogan forcing a face turn for himself he ruined that. This is the point where strong management and a plan going forward comes into play. Bischoff was never that guy.

In addition to the poorly executed double turn, the match ending was ludicrous. The screw job ending was teased in Flair's pre match promo, advising the ref not to stop the bout at the very 1st sight of blood, to let the two fight it out. However, having the bout end via pinfall made no sense. All in all, not a great way to end a PPV.

As for all the references to WM8, I understand why Hogan's match went last. No, he wasnt World Champ (Flair was) but this was billed as Hogan's Retirement Match, that's a pretty big deal. Also, with Hogan leaving this match was supposed to put over the return of Ultimate Warrior. If this match happened earlier in the show UW's return potentially would have overshadowed everything after it. The problem is Flair vs Savage was such a great feud and great match with a great ending pay off that it overshadowed much of the rest of the show. WWE put this match mid point to envigorate the crowd heading into the 2nd half of the show, but it placed a high standard on Hogan-Sid (billed as the other half of the special "Double Main Event"). In the ring their was no way these two could top Flair-Savage, although if the ending hadnt been botched, if Hogan would have rallied and won clean, with the beatdown and subsequent Warrior return following then it might have worked. Certainly it would have given the fans what they wanted to see, a fitting send off to Hogan (who "retired" for only a year as we know) and a great intro for Warrior.

In essence, the unsatisfactory ending was really bad, but I can understand why the bout was chosen to go last. If it hadnt been billed as Hogan's "retirement" then Id feel different.

I personally hated the ending(s) of the Summerslam 1996 main event between Michaels and Vader. They kept ending it and restarting with agents and manager interference, and Cornette egging Shawn on in a cheesy way. By the actual end it felt like overkill, and the way it finished seemed gipped and too late. I also didn't like the end of King of The Ring 1996 where they had the run in on Shawn, then Warrior and Ahmed Johnson saved the day. I know Shawn was a dick back then, but some of the endings they gave him were brutal so I could see why he got angry at times. Other good ones were mentioned.

Starcade 1997 Sting Vs Hogan: Sting should have crushed Hogan. Instead we got a terrible screwjob finish and the begining of the end for WCW

Starcade 1998 Goldberg Vs Nash: Nash beats Goldberg?! WTH is this?! Why didn't a guy who needed a rub beat Goldberg. How about some upcoming monster heel? beating Goldberg should have been done with the sole purpose of getting someone over!

Halloween Havoc 1999: Goldberg pretty much obliterates the franchise of WCW in 30 seconds. WTH is that?

Wrestlemania 9 Hogan Vs Yokozuna: Hogan comes out of nowhere to beat Yokozuna for the title and Bret Hart cheers him on.

Summer Slam 1993 Lex Luger vs Yokozuna: On the 4th of July Lex Luger is airlifted onto the Intrepid where he body Slams Yokozuna, then has the Lex Express call to action campaign travel across The United States, he Mainevents Summer Slam and beats Yokozuna by countout... Balloon's fall from the celing and it seems like he won the title and restored the pride of America back into the WWF. No such luck. He won by countout so he won nothing!

Halloween Havoc 1999: Goldberg pretty much obliterates the franchise of WCW in 30 seconds. WTH is that?

I didn't see the PPV but after hearing the results on Nitro and the internet I thought it was cool that Goldberg won the World Title back ... except he really didn't. The end of the PPV was ok, the aftermath was stupid.

#1 Over The Edge 1999: The most disgusting decision ever made by Vince McMahon, far more despicable than the Montreal screwjob, the exploiting Of Eddie's death storylinewise, Eddie-Rey Dominick storyline, Mae Yound giving birth to a hand, Stand up for the WWE Campaign...combined together and doubled, tripled if you will. I don't think I need an explanation, Edge, Mark Henry and many more spoke for me the next day on RAW and told everybody why the love for Owen Hart should have made Vinnie go one step back, especially cuz it was a technical incident that killed Owen, and not an inter-talent fact (Bruiser Brody story, Misawa) or a wrestler's mind (Benoit, Pillman) or body (Eddie, Bulldogg) collapsing. When I saw the footage I thought that nowhere else in the show business any live show would have carried with its scheduled. It was horrible, just horrible.

This is the worst thing ever, it was disgusting and I can't believe they let this show go on. It's sickening and for anyone to say "hey let's go on with the show" , one of the worst things to ever happen in the history of wrestling.

1.Uncensored 1999-I think WCW was clueless at this point big time and the Hogan/Flair Cage Match (which was suppose to be 1st Blood) didn't end after one of the two started you know BLEEDING.

2.Starrcade 1999-Terrible re-hash of the Montreal Screwjob and this was when Russo had taken over the Booking in WCW. Im amazed Bret Hart didn't just walk out of there the next day.

3.Victory Road 2011-Nuff said on this and its one reason I have never bought a TNA PPV.

4.Halloween Havoc 1998-DDP vs Goldberg begins at 11:00pm and the PPV cuts off a minute into the Match. And people wonder why WCW went out of business.

5.Summerslam 1993-I think Lex Luger should have won the Title from Yokozuna and instead wins by Countout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back