What is worst ring gear of all time?

asiatic7

The Doctor Of Veganomics!!!
I don't know if this thread has been done before, but I'm going to go ahead with it. Throughout the history of wrestling, wrestlers have been known to stand out because of their exclusive and stylish ring gear. Their ring gear has been part of their gimmicks or have been an extension of who they are/were. Some guys come to mind like, Rick Rude, who had numerous cool and infamous tights (the tights with Jake Roberts wife!). The Ultimate Warrior was known for his face paint, arm tassles and air brushed trunks. Bret Hart wore pink and black exclusivley, Hogan's red and yellow gear was a staple of his gimmick for years. That's just a few, but you guys (and gals) get the point. But here is what I'm getting at... What is the absolute WORST ring gear you've ever seen on any wrestler, from any era, from any company? Is it Max Moon? Repo Man? MVP? Giant Gonzales? Who is it in your opinion? How about a top 5 best and worst?

It has to be Bastion Booger

[YOUTUBE]aGIJ455k5hw[/YOUTUBE]

Everything about the man is absolutely vile, especially that ring gear with those straps to make his man-tits hang over. Fucking disgusting, and I would have hated to have to wrestle someone like that.

Hard to top Bastion Booger. But I'll give it a go.

07.jpg

Look, I was cool with Virgil back in the day. But what the hell was WWF thinking? They had my man looking like a peppermint disc.

Next we have....

the_berzerker.jpg

John Nord aka the Beserker. This gimmick was actually used earlier in his career in AWA. Pretty much the same gear and mannerisms but with a different name I believe. Didn't really do himself any favors when he became Yukon John the lumberjack.

For my next pick....

13.jpg

There's really no explanation needed for this. One of the this I have regrettably noticed in watching episodes of AWA on ESPN Classics is that it looks like Adrian had a slight pouch protruding from the genital area, like he never heard of a cup.

And who could forget....

482513-jean_pierre_lafitte_large.jpg

The 90's era pirate himself. Most folks remember his feud with Bret Hart, but I mainly remember this Godawful attire. You'd think for a thieving character, he could've stolen some fashion tips from Demolition or LOD.

Lastly (for now) I give a shout out to....

akeem.jpg

The African Dream. Now the dashiki wasn't bad itself. But the ring attire underneath just makes him look like a fat bastard wearing underoos. Still the dancing was moderately entertaining. (Thanks, Slick)

Let me take this a different route. I've never been a thigh man, not even when it comes to ordering chicken. I've definitely never been a hamstring man either. So why in the blue hell would Torrie Wilson (sexy from head to toe) where ring attire that exposed he thighs and hamstrings. There were short-shorts and then leg and weird pants that covered her above the knee. It was incredibly distracting from her other assets and I never understood the point other than to do something stylishly different.

Marlena's underboob outfits are a completely different story. Her underboob exposing shirts were pure stylistic genius.

On the guy side of things, Cena's jean shorts and Hart's pink and black are pretty bad. I can't relate to either and they are weird outfits to put on your champions.

Definitely The Shockmaster in WCW. The guys whole costume was a star wars stormtrooper helmet spraypainted with purple glitter and a cape that looked like a garbage bag. It looked like he picked up his gear at a garage sale on the way to the arena.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z0422hQmmk
Special props for Sid being able to keep a straight face in all this.

Definitely The Shockmaster in WCW. The guys whole costume was a star wars stormtrooper helmet spraypainted with purple glitter and a cape that looked like a garbage bag. It looked like he picked up his gear at a garage sale on the way to the arena.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z0422hQmmk
Special props for Sid being able to keep a straight face in all this.

Haha The Shockmaster is a great pick!

It really does look like a costume that you would wear when pretending to wrestle in your garden on a trampoline. Looking round the house for something, finding an old toy Stormtrooper helmet and putting a few sparkles on this, then tying an old duvet round your neck for a cloak. It looks like something a 7 year old would think of!

Whoever thought that was a good idea for ring attire must have been smoking something funny, as it is absolutely shit.

Does anything ever beat this? An outfit and haircut so bad, it could be argued that the look's awfulness distracted five opponents and let you come out as the victor and champion ;)...

[YOUTUBE]ht6-Q7kxdZE[/YOUTUBE]​

Moving on :lmao:

Imagine you're bringing a lady back to your place for the first time and she finds these in your room...

0875a.jpg

Then imagine the look on her face when you try and justify it by stating they're one of the greatest tag teams of all time.

Imagine you're bringing a lady back to your place for the first time and she finds these in your room...

0875a.jpg

Then imagine the look on her face when you try and justify it by stating they're one of the greatest tag teams of all time.

Hahaha, this is genius. :lol:

The Nasty Boys outfits in the early 90's were pretty shocking. I've never been a fan of what Shawn wears to the ring. My most recent dislike was when Beth started wearing a skirt with bright pink panties underneath, so glad she's gone back to full length tights.

My all time worst offender has to go to Giant Gonzalez. What the hell were they thinking?
Giant-Gonzales.jpg

My all time worst offender has to go to Giant Gonzalez. What the hell were they thinking?
Giant-Gonzales.jpg

Oh god yeah, forgot about Gonzalez. Used to have an action figure of him and it irritated me that it was the same height as all the others.
But was so wrong with his own skin that they had to put him in that monstrosity?

MVP for me. I almost couldn't take him seriously becasue he looked like a power ranger. I also agree with the guy that said bastion booger. That outfit was atrocious.

I'm going to have to go with Battle Kat. He had a cat mask, it was awful!! In addition to the worst ring gear he also garners serious consideration for the worst gimmick of all time.
battle-kat.jpg

that battle kat guy i have never heard of for obvious reasons i suppose. That black guy who wrestled in WCW with the half tights half trunk in the mid 90s, Ryder's same truncated tights.. Didnt like the renegade's attire in WCW, hated seeing Steiner's face right above his cup zone, all of Lawler's tights look tacky to me, most of henry's singlets except a few with a black center piece and color on the tips. When he wore red he was a tomato, when he wore blue he looked like a blue berry.

I hated the halter tops Harlem Heat wore and all that bullshit EY is wearing makes me hate him more then i thought I did before..

Electroshock's body suit when it's supposed to look like muscles. Not like Giant Gonzales' look, but the flesh looked inside-out. As big a mark I am for Electroshock I felt embarrassed watching him wrestle with that body suit. Runner-up is him again but in a creamy white body suit. (Shudders)

I have to say Rikishi with his ass hanging out. I will pass on posting a pic of it. Time to go search youtube for battle cat matches....

Why is no one listing The Miz?

This fuckin' guy wore a BEDAZZLED fedora to the ring, that had a ying-yang on it, often with a bandana, high-cut wrestling boots, also bedazzled, with weird cargo looking shorts, also bedazzled, also with ying-yangs or other weird symbols/shapes, gloves and elbow/knee pads.... all with a fuckin' faux hawk beneath it all.

Please, someone, explain the logic here?

Why is no one listing The Miz?

This fuckin' guy wore a BEDAZZLED fedora to the ring, that had a ying-yang on it, often with a bandana, high-cut wrestling boots, also bedazzled, with weird cargo looking shorts, also bedazzled, also with ying-yangs or other weird symbols/shapes, gloves and elbow/knee pads.... all with a fuckin' faux hawk beneath it all.

Please, someone, explain the logic here?
It was gaudy, but I think that was the point. His whole gimmick, at the time of that consignment shop pastiche of an outfit, was of the in-your-face reality star that you really wanted out-of-your-face. Once he got his main-event push, he switched to something more traditional and less alienating.

It's sort of like Zack Ryder's one-legged tights he used to wear. Ugly and laughable- but do anything to get people to notice you. (Without doing something to get yourself fired. Thin line, says Daniel Bryan.) Ryder's tights were ugly as hell, but they were noticeable. The whole strategy of do anything to get noticed worked out for him; it obviously wasn't a set of one-legged tights that earned him his television push, but it was the whole ethic of getting noticed.

Too many newer guys get promoted as regular guys in short tights. (Thankfully the days of everyone wrestling in pleather have come to a close.) These guys practically always fail to get fans to notice them, because there's nothing about them to notice. So Miz, I'll place in the gaudy-but-it-worked category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back