My Monday Night Wars "Blog" 1997 - The Other Perspective

Yeah, the PPVs are where all the feuds come to their conclusion. The best matches are usually on the PPVs as well as the craziest stunts. However Monday Nights always sum it all up and do a pretty good job of communicating to the audience what happened so that they're not left in the dark simply because they didn't buy the PPV. Because of that, and the fact that I'm discussing more of the story-telling side of wrestling as well as some of the more "behind the kayfabe" issues rather than giving an actual review I rarely find that anything has happened that requires me to see the PPV in order to understand.

Survivor Series was an exception, and usually it is too I find throughout it's history. In fact this year was really quite a disappointing year for me as far as Survivor Series was concerned. Aside from the crowd cheering on The Rock and how they played that into Cena's character development there was very little of importance this year. Perhaps, if Cena really is finally turning heel, (and I don't see how he can NOT be at this point) this SS will have a bit more importance in retrospect, but all in all... kind of a bleh PPV.

In 1997 however nothing could be further from the case. The Screw Job was the central point of a lot of the story telling afterwards, not just in the WWF either, but in WCW too. So, I usually will watch the pay-per-view if, while watching the following Monday Night Raw I feel as though I really missed out on something, or if something really big happened that requires me to witness it first hand. Besides that I've seen all the big PPVs during this time, and I've seen most of them again over the years since, so it's not like I've never seen them. It was Raw that I really skimmed on the first time around.

At this point in time in the WWF, I can say that Austin WOULD be a bit over rated, if it weren't for the fact that he was only the intercontinental champion. I find it really amazing that he was THIS over, the most over in the company for certain, especially now that Bret Hart is gone, and he's only the mid-card champion. I'm truly impressed with that... but then again, at this point in time I was already on the Goldberg bandwagon, and he didn't have the championship yet and he was by far the biggest draw for me in WCW. His little 5 minutes of fame each Monday night was far more interesting to me than anything else that was happening in pro-wrestling. By this time I was already rooting for him to get a shot at Hulk Hogan because I knew Goldberg would crush Hollywood.

For me, the Monday Night Wars were always about ONLY Austin vs Goldberg. I loved the nWo, I loved who showed up there, I loved the storylines, and I loved the Flock too, as well as a number of other things that were going on in WCW. But Goldberg, he was just unreal. I've said it before. Austin was a badass in that he was tough, and I loved what he had to say, but Goldberg was the flipside of that coin. Goldberg was a badass because he was an unstoppable weapon, and he didn't waste words talking trash, he just f**ked you up.

Austin had great charisma in the ring and on the mic. Goldberg had every bit as much charisma as Austin, but Goldberg was 80% in the ring where he shined like no one else, and 20% on the mic where he wasn't bad, but he wasn't that good either. He didn't need to be either, as long as he got the job done and didn't shoot himself in the foot like the noob he was then it was a win for him, because no one compared to Goldberg's charisma in the ring, not Hogan, not Warrior, not Rock, not Austin... maybe Andre...

Andre was pretty damned scarey when he got in the ring and decided to show it, and he had the presence that only Goldberg and Undertaker have had too. Andre is actually a pretty good comparison to Goldberg really, I mean how many years was Andre unbeaten? And it was believable with him because no one in their right mind would believe someone could be Andre... Well, that's how it was with Goldberg too. All you had to do was watch Goldberg, and you knew he was unf**kingtouchable.

The Undertaker is another good example of a man who is far more charismatic in the ring than on the mic. Undertaker is really good on the mic, but not like he is in the ring. Watching him in the ring you can't help but be in awe of the guy, especially when he first debuted and was feuding with Warrior, Roberts, Kamala, Yokozuna, etc. WCW calling Bill Goldberg the phenom of the WCW was a good call, because in a lot of ways Goldberg had that same in-ring charisma and gave you that feeling like no one could beat him, regardless of match outcomes.

Austin though at this point in time Austin was understandably the top dog in the WWF, and as the Intercontinental Champion it had everyone chomping at the bit for when he was going to get elevated to the place he deserved to be, much like CM Punk prior to Money in the Bank this past year.

Even better is now that Survivor Series is over, The Rock begins his rise to dominance. First by calling himself The Rock instead of Rocky Maivia, and then stealing Austin's IC belt from him.

Mick Foley is on a roll still, and in all honesty I can't understand why he's not already the WWF champion. As Dude Love he was hilarious with his "Sweet Shin Music" finisher and whatnot, and then as Mankind he was creepy, awesome, and scary. Still haven't seen Cactus Jack, but he's been mentioned a few times.

Poor Ahmed Johnson is stuck in a rut now. He's finally feuding with other people... or trying to, but he can't get over anymore. He seems to have just lost his "it" factor that he had previously.

LOD seem like they're starting to slip some now too. It's amazing how a poorly booked feud that's drawn out too long (in LOD's case it's with the Godwins) just ruins both parties.

Farooq has gotten stale and boring as well. It's a good thing The Rock is there because he's got pretty much ALL the heat for the NOD these days.

Goldust is just plain disgusting now. I kinda marked out a bit when I saw Luna Vachon, but who am I kidding? It's not like she's going to wrestle Chyna. And aside from that I've no reason to care about that heinous b**ch. She's a great character, but too far ahead of her time. I'd kill to see her in today's Diva's division, but we all know that can't happen, and even if she were still alive she'd be too old now. But Goldust? Bleh, I couldn't care less.

DX is definitely interesting on the mic, but they are as annoying as hell too. Rick Rude quit in protest to the Screw Job, and they replaced him with Handsome Harvey (Wimpleman) and then after Harvey did Rudes bit of "What I'd like to have right now..." they literally tossed him aside, and said "Well that spot wasn't hard to replace." That's fine with me. Rude was better than them anyways. He was the coolest part about the DX gimmick, so far at least.

Shawn is still fighting the crowd vehemently with their "Shawn is gay" and "******" chants while he's wrestling. During one of the promos he was cutting in the ring with DX, a "******" chant broke out and he turned to kiss HHH right on the mouth.

I remember watching with some interest when Sgt. Slaughter challenged HHH to a match. Now, it seems completely stupid of me to think that Slaughter would win that match, but back then I was loving it and I couldn't wait to see Slaughter wipe the floor with that maggot.

I'm almost positive now that I'm going to end up liking HHH a whole hell of a lot once DX is fully under his control. I've always loved to hate Shawn Michaels as a heel, but man, during his original DX days he just doesn't cut it for me anymore. HHH on the other hand, who I've always hated, seems really pretty cool. I wouldn't say I was a fan just yet, but I like him pretty well.

The New Age Outlaws (I'm not even sure if they're being called that yet, I kinda think they're not) are kinda... weird. They're sort of an anomaly. They're very DXish, that's for sure, and that makes them very cutting edge, but the way they run from everything like cowards is very throwback heel-ish. I don't like Road Dogs entrances yet... I remember that at some point in time I did like them, but this wasn't that time.

Kane is certainly the coolest new thing in the WWF though. He's got the edge that Undertaker never had. Without him doing much of anything but just doing a run-in to squash whoever's there, there's not much else too him. But I can't wait for him to meet Taker in the ring.

Even though with Bret having left the end of 1997 still has its highlights. Stone Cold picked up the ball and ran with it as did The Rock begin too as well. DX of course being another highlight doing their usual antics and Road Dogg & Billy Gunn getting a chance to show what they could do. Owen coming back as the Sole Surviving Hart/Blackhart trying to get payback on DX for what happend to Bret is good stuff. The Taker/Kane stuff is of course really awesome stuff. So the end of 1997 would set the stage for 1998.

Thursday Raw Thursday (February 13, 1997) and a small handful of debuts (on MNR 2-17-97).

Steve Austin's run-ins are starting to get old. I remember this being one of my biggest complaints of all back in the day, was that it seemed like no match in the WWF could end cleanly, everything ended with a run-in of some sort. So far, as it relates to the main event with Bret Hart, that's certainly been the case all year long. They started out trying to have Sid vs Hitman as the opener, then at the top of the 2nd hour of raw, and both times Austin attacked Bret Hart and postponed the match while the officials talked about how they weren't like "other organizations" how, if they billed a match, then they would actually have that match, and they wouldn't mis-advertise to their fans. Obviously a shot at WCW.

You know, I kept thinking of how to describe the episode in which the match was started at three different times. Even before that show, Steve Austin was getting really distracting. He barely wrestled, although Steve Austin did show up a bit for "WWF In Your House 13: Final Four". For whatever strange reason, the bloodthirsty fans in the late nineties started getting behind him, and changed the way this industry would develop, as they clearly were not fans of "technical wrestling" and instead opted to favor the brawling style seen by such superstars as Rocky Maivia, Steve Austin, Mankind, Bradshaw, Ron Simmons, and many others. The Legion of Doom in particular was really horrible at this point too.

12-29-97

I made it through... not only did I make it through but I enjoyed the run. Compare that with 1996. I think there were only a few episodes where I really didn't care what was going on, most of them in February and May.

Austin is entertaining as always. I was kind of hoping I'd like him a little more but as I understand it 1998 was his best year, so here's hoping.

I'm already starting to like The Rock, and he's only given a small handful of promo's (3 maybe?) but tonight's Raw saw The Rock telling D-Lo and Kama to know their role. I'm not sure WTH The Rock is doing teasing at giving his opinions about current political situations in the world, but I'm glad he doesn't. That just makes me drowsy thinking about it.

Goldust... why couldn't you have traded places with Brian Pillman? Tonight he comes out in a diaper with a bib and bonnet. It wasn't even redeemed with Austin kicking his ass and tossing him in an obviously clean outhouse. I don't care how good a wrestler you are, you still suck.

Mick Foley on the other hand finally debuted as Cactus Jack and teamed with Chainsaw Charley (I believe I read somewhere that he was Terry Funk?) Love Foley.

2 new members of Degeneration X made their first appearance. Boob 1 and boob 2. Sorry Chyna but those implants don't make you any more attractive, and make you a whole lot less credible. I'd rather think you were a man who had a sex change operation than a woman with self-esteem issues.

Pretty sure I'm over DX now. HBK is just plain annoying and stupid. Hunter seems alright, but considering I've hated him all along that doesn't say much.

Los Bariquas and DOA have got to go. They serve no purpose, and are boring, same with the Truth Commission. Getting a new leader didn't help, more or less dissolving the faction and featuring Kurgan doesn't help either. The Jackal seems like he should be on his knees worshiping HBK's crotch.

Speaking of failures, there was some guy that had a number of vignettes during the summer. I forgot his name already, and while I could look it up, I think it's better I don't. It doesn't matter, the point is he looked like a Nazi musclehead with a cheep knockoff Arnold Schwarzenegger accent, and he never even made his appearance on Raw. They pulled the vignettes and that was the last I saw of him. Probably got busted on steroids.

Owen is over... BIG over. He got a title shot against HBK, and damnit if he shouldn't have won that, but as always interference ruins a great match. Geez it's no wonder WCW was winning the ratings war. WWF gave the fans only 1 good match on Monday Night Raw all year. Granted that was Owen vs Bulldog, and probably the best WWF Match I've ever seen, but still, only 1. WCW may have taken it too far the other direction, but it certainly made for a better viewing experience.

LOD seems to have a pretty bad rap by a lot of the wrestling die-hards around here, but I haven't seen a single indication that anything has changed about their quality of match from this year (except that yes, they are a slight bit slower) than in 1990. They were HUGE over with the crowd all year long, and it only started fading some the last couple months. I loved watching every one of their matches, and there isn't a single thing I could say aside from them slowing down a little against them. Maybe I'm just a mark though, but they exemplified everything I want to see from a pro-wrestler in the ring. They had presence, power, & skill all in aces.

No one had a better standing dropkick than Joe Lauriniatis... to be honest, I really wish James weren't playing for the Rams and kicking ass (not only because I'm a 49ers fan either) because with his athleticism, I have a feeling he could transfer that skill on the football field into a hall of fame career in the WWE, and I love the potential storylines of James and John on Raw. For that matter I would kind of like to see Joe return and play John's crony, ala Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco to Vince McMahon back in the day. Maybe in January, after the Rams season is over all 3 can do a 1 night thing with him. It'd make for a fun 1-off segment.

Jim Cornette returned with another of his rants... damn man you guys gotta watch this one. Can you believe he said this of the WWF back at the end of 1997? His words were prophetic and are probably even more relevant today than they were then. All I can say about that is "Preach it Little Jimmy!"

At this point I'm gonna rank my favorites of the year from 1 to 10, and then I'm gonna call it good for 1997. I can't wait to move on to 1998.

10 favorite wrestlers in 1997

1 Mick Foley
2 Steve Austin
3 Bret Hart
4 Owen Hart
5 Brian Pillman
6 LOD
7 Undertaker
8 HBK
9 HHH
10 Ken Shamrock

Best moments of the year

Owen vs Bulldog for the European Championship.
Brian Pillman's memorial night (the whole episode, best episode by a mile)
Kane vs Mankind feud
Rick Rude throwing coffee in The Patriot's face
Jeff Jarrett's debut shoot
The Rock becomes The Rock and starts talking on the mic.
Raven's appearance on the ECW invitational.

There are other memories, to be sure, but those were on PPV's, not Monday Night Raw.

Good job on the reveiw, really enjoyed reading it. Loved 1997. Brought back some memories. You claim Owen/Bulldog was better then Bulldog/Bret at SS92. That is a serious statement, IMO Bret/Davey is the best match ever (enviroment playing a part in that). I remember really liking the Owen match at the time but after reading this Im going to have to dig the match out and re watch.

Hart Foundation vs HBK, Austin, Taker, Foley was one of my favorite times in wrestling. The flag match RAW was probably my favorite RAW ever. That whole summer WWF was knocking it out of the park every week.

Early 97 started the Attitude era for me. What a great time to watch.

Throughout that summer, Bret Hart had also been getting decent matches out of wrestlers that really did not get too much attention otherwise: The Patriot and Goldust, in particular, actually fought pretty impressively against him in main events of Raw, and by main events I meant the main matches, not necessarily the last matches. Did you happen to see anything noticeable in those bouts, RicoLen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back