My Graphic novel reviews

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Title should say Reviews.

Since I've recently started collecting graphic novels i figured I would start a thread where I can jot down my thoughts and others can do the same. All my reviews will be in Spoiler Tags so i don't ruin anything for those that may be interested in reading it.

Im gonna start with the only one I've read so far Wolverine: Old Man Logan.

Ive heard of this one before but never read it. I went in with high expectations due to it being Wolverine and it exceeded every one of them.

It's set 50 years in the future and the supervillians have taken over the United States. The only hero left is Wolverine after every other Marvel hero is dead but he's become a pacifist and hasn't popped his claws in 50 years. He lives in what was once California but is now an arid desert controlled by an insane Bruce Banner and hus inbred brood The Hulk Gang. Hawkeye (no longer a superhero due to being blind) comes and tells Logan he needs a navigator to deliver a shipment to New Babylon (formerly DC) to give to the resistance.

Long story short there is no resistance and Hawkeye is shot right in front of Logan by a fat Hitler looking SHIELD agent who then gets dragged to President Red Skull. Logan kills Red Skull with Captain America's old shield and uses pieces of Tony Stark's old Iron Man suit to get back home to Cali where he finds his wife and 2 children dead after being killed on Banner's orders. Seeing this Logan pops his claws for the first time in 50 years and kills the entire Hulk Gang with the exception of Bruce Banner Jr whom Logan takes to start a new team of heros. He then decides to go after all the villians.
I loved this. I finished it in about 30 minutes because I couldn't put it down. It's simply amazinng in every way and something i highly suggest to every Marvel fan

I give this * * * * *

Up Next
Batman: A Death In The Family

On Deck (in no order)
Flashpoint

The Amazing Spider-Man: Civil War

The Road to Civil War

I'm not used to talking about the artistry when I'm talking about literature but seeings how that's a big part in what makes or breaks a graphic novel so maybe i should mention that.

I'm in no way an artist so i can't go into detail but i can say if I thought it was good or not and in this case yes it was good.

Not sure what else to say really. Like everything else about this G.N. it worked perfectly with everything else and was amazing.

My rating is the same as above.

Batman: A Death In The Family​

I love Batman and this was historic in the sense that DC let the fans decide if a major character lives or dies but it's a bit dated.

Originally printed in 1988 I'm sure people loved the international politics that was throughout the entire thing. Things like the the Lebanese Civil War and Famine in Ethiopia and the Ayatollah Khomeini making The Joker an Iranian Ambassador to the UN. None of that really translates well 28 years later in 2016.

The artistry while amazing is a bit old fashioned which isn't a bad thing it just is what it is. Going from Old Man Logan to this was a bit of a shock.

One thing I don't really care for in my DC comics is the use of real places. Gotham & Metropolis i like but NY and the UN not so much.
It is very well written and drawn. I do suggest this to any Batman fan for the historic aspect of the fans voting alone but the story is good if a bit dated.

My Rating: * * *3\4 out of 5
Up Next
Batman: A Lonely Place Of Dying

On Deck
Flashpoint

The Road to Civil War

Batman: A Lonely Place Of Dying

What a difference a year makes. This is pretty much a direct sequel to A Death In The Family in that it deals with Batman coping with the death of Jason Todd, which is to say not very well. He's taking chances he never would have in the past and has been getting injured so much Alfred actually tells him he doesn't plan plan on spending the rest of his life as a nurse. In comes Tim Drake. Years ago he figured out the secret identities of both Batman & Robin (Dick Grayson) and as such is able to figure out Jason Todd was Robin as well. He spends his half of the story trying to convince Dick to stop being Nightwing and become Robin again thinking that with someone at his side he'll simmer down a bit. Dick refuses saying Robin died with Jadon Todd but goes to help hunt Two-Face as Nightwing. Instead of giving up Tim puts on the Robin costume himself and actually saves Batman & Nightwing. After capturing Two-Face Bruce agrees with Tim, Alfred & Dick and agreed to take thing with Tim one day at a time. He becomes the 3rd Robin.
I enjoyed this so much more than the last one. The art is less campy and didn't make me chuckle every few pages. The storyline didn't revolve around outdated politics which makes for a much better read in 2016. If you want to read or have read A Death In The Family this one should be next on your list. That's not to say it's perfect because it's not. My only problem is this seemed a bit busy. They made this a sequel and an Origin story for Tim Drake. It all tied in at the end but for most of the story they were kept pretty separate which isn't my prefered style of storytelling.

My rating: * * * * out 5
Up Next

On Deck
Flashpoint

The Road to Civil War

Civil War

(Spider-Man #532-538)

This one tells the story of Civil War from the view of everyone's favorite webslingerc Spider-Man. He's Tony Stark's right hand arachnid with a new suit not to different from the Iron Man suit when you think about it. At first he's all for thr Superhuman Registration Act, even going so far as to unmask on National TV. Since then he's been having 2nd thoughts and demands to see where the other Superhumans are being kept. Once he realizes it's in the Negative Zone he knows he made a mistake and goes back on National TV to denounce the S.R.A. Parker goes into hiding with Captain America and the others and they get ready. The final battle happens but i don't know how it ends. That's in Civil War (which I will have Friday).

This was was really enjoyable. I haven't read Civil War yet but this does a great job of telling the story from a certain perspective instead of the broad story trying to get everything in. The art by Ron Garney was very good but I'm not a fan of how he made Peter Parker look more like a jock as opposed to the nerdy scientist I remember him as. But the one thing that bothered me above all else was how they would do a scene and say wanna find out what's on the tv screen? It's in Civil War 5 & 6 or this scene is in DareDevil #93 if you want to read the rest of it. Being a compilation of individual comics i can understand why they're doing it but it still bothers me.

My Rating: * * * *1/2 out of 5
Up Next
The Road to Civil War

On Deck
Flashpoint

Civil War
After these 2 i may go on a bit of a hiatus because i need to buy more. If you have some you wanna review or disagree with something I've said up until now don't hesitate to use this thread. Lets keep this thread going.

Going through some of the classics I see? Personally I've always found Old Man Logan a bit overrated. I enjoyed it, but it seemed almost like a caricature of Wolverine. I much prefer the stuff Chris Claremont did in the 70s and 80s that defined Logan. I haven't been as keen on a lot of the X-Men work since the 90s (though I would highly recommend checking out Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run from a few years ago, which is sheer goofy fun). As far as the Batman titles you've covered, I mean there's not much to say because they're so infamous in the comics industry and have been commented on and covered endless times. I like A Lonely Place of Dying quite a bit and have always enjoyed Marv Wolfman, but A Death in the Family is iconic and groundbreaking. To have such a major death in a title like Batman was unheard of at the time, and it helped kickstart a decade of comics that constantly were trying to one up the shock level and unpredictability of A Death in the Family's climax, for better or worse (and boy did it get worse towards the end of the 90s in that regard).

Keep doing this bud, you know I'm a disappearing act but I'll check it out whenever I see it whenever I happen to be on.

The Road To Civil War
(New Avengers: Illuminati, Fantastic 4 #536 & #537 and The Amazing Spider-Man #529-53)

This was passable. Illuminati gave us the rumbles that would become Civil War (as well as set up Planet Hulk) and gave me a look at characters I've never read before as well as one I never knew existed which is always awesome. The art had that sketched look which I enjoyed. Had they added more like this i would love this one as much as I do all the others but i fell on its ass after this.

I may have missed something but The Fantastic Four did even belong. It didn't seem to pave the way to Civil War everything else did so even with good art it just pulled everything down.

Spider-Man added to the other Spider-Man G.N. I have and the end leads right into Civil War.

Spider-Man & Illuminati were highly enjoyable and I recommend getting this for those alone but F4 brought it way down and is unfortunately right in between the 2 good ones.

My Rating: * * out of 5 stars

Up Next
Civil War

On Deck
Flashpoint

Civil War
(Civil War #1-7)

Mark Millar & Steve McNiven come together to give us quite possibly the biggest event in the Marvel Universe and they hit another one right out of the park.

just like Old Man Logan everything flows together perfectly the modern illustration and the linear storyline makes this one another I can't put down.

Millar & McNiven are quickly becoming my favorite combo in comic books. Their writing and illustration just work, there's no other way I can say it.

My Rating: * * * * * out of 5.

Up Next
Flashpoint

I started a blog where I do my reviews a bit more professional than the ramblings I've done before and starting with Flashpoint I'm going to be doing the same style over here where I talk about the criteria I use to determine my rating.

These are the points I will be using
1) How everything flows together (because what I'll be reviewing is a collection of comics all bound together with the same over all storyline some will flow together some won't)

2) The Storyline (This one is different from How it all flows so I figured it needs its own talking point)

3) Artistry (every illustrator is different and these are all from different era so some will click for me and some won't.)

4) How much I liked it (some I will like more than other for a variety of reason which I will explain in every post but it is usually a mix of the above criteria that determines how much I like it or not).
There may be smaller criteria but those are the top 4 I'll be using and what I will break down. This will be evolving as time goes on and if everything changes I will be sure to let you all know. The main reason I'm doing this is to spark conversation. If you agree with anything or disagree please leave a comment letting me know. If you have any you would like to see me do let me know and I will do the best I can just remember I don't review anything unless I own it so I will need time to buy it and possibly wait for it to be delivered if I buy it off Amazon.

I said in a previous post that after Flashpoint I would be taking a break but then i remembered that I could go check my local library and see what they had. I was able to grab 9 more that i probably won't buy but I'm excited to review them anyway.

• Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia
  • Superman Codename: Patriot
  • Hellboy: The Right Hand Of Doom
  • Batman '66 Vol. 2
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
  • X-Men: With Great Power
  • Batman/Superman: The Search For Kryptonite
  • Batman/Superman: Supergirl
  • All*Star Superman

Well here's the new format I promised. I've been finished with Flashpoint for a while but I've been busy.

Flashpoint (DC)
(Flashpoint #1-5)​

How Everything Flows Together: Like Old Man Logan & Civil War this is one is just one novelesque story the split up into parts so it all flows together perfectly.

The Storyline: Anyone who has seen Season 3 of The Flash or the Animated movie Justice League: The Flaspoint Paradox knows the basic storyline. The Flash goes back in time to keep his mother from getting killed and succeeds. In doing so he creates a massive change in the timeline. Superman is missing, Batman is Thomas Wayne instead of Bruce & Cyborg is the American hero. Also Aquaman & Wonder Woman are both completely nuts and have sunk Western Europe & Taken over the UK respectively. Flash goes about getting everything fixed and by the end knows not to mess with the timeline anymore. This was another amazing read and one I could not put down once I picked it up and the Storyline was a big part of that.

Artistry: My favorite kind, it's modern, sleek and will translate well into the future. I enjoyed looking at the illustrations almost as much as reading the story which is a plus in my book.

How Much I liked it: I loved it. I'm more of a Marvel fan in the fact that most of my favorite superheros growing up were from Marvel but DC is growing on me. I'm excited to read more from the company and see if they can change my mind some more of if Marvel will keep an Iron grip on my heart.

Final Thoughts: If you're a fan of any of the main DC characters I suggest this one as well as all the tie in ones that takes place in the Flashpoint world that are about each individual hero. I don't have those ones yet but I will and I'm rather excited to read them.

My Rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5

Up Next
Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia

On Deck
Superman Codename: Patriot

Hellboy: The Right Hand Of Doom

Batman '66 Vol. 2

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

X-Men: With Great Power

Batman/Superman: The Search For Kryptonite

Batman/Superman: Supergirl

All*Star Superman

I'm a big fan of Flashpoint, really big fan. It was an hard reboot to it's main titles and characters, with one of the most powerful stories and some really cool action to round up the edges. I'm always happy to see someone enjoying it because it truly is Geoff Johns best work to date and one of the reasons why I trust DC Entertainment will get it's live action movies right.

On a personal note, this comic is also one of the most powerful in drama. Superman is a lab rat, who when releases, simply just takes off and leaves Earth. That's a subtle touch, but it was never before seen and it did help the hopelessness of the whole war between Aquaman/Wonder Woman. The sacrifice of Lex Luthor, the Wayne Family story and of course The Flash own lore being developed. It was simply great. Man, gonna read it again tonight.

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia (DC)​

How Everything Flows Together: This isn't even one storyline spread out over a few comics. It's a one off story so naturally it flows perfectly.

The Storyline: This is described as a modern greek tragedy and after reading it i can see why. A woman kills 4 men in Gotham causing Batman to chase her. She runs to NYC where Diana (Wonder Woman) is her people's ambassador to the UN. Right on her doorstep Danielle performs The Hiketeia, an ancient greek ritual that binds the two women together. Diana takes her as her supplicant and protects her from everyone including Batman when he tracks her to New York. They fight each other until Danielle, seeing only one way to stop everything throws herself off a bridge killing herself.

Artistry: it's not as modern looking as Flashpoint or Old Man Logan but I think it'll still translate alright in 10 or 20 years.

How Much I liked it: had never heard of this one before I saw it at the library so i wasn't sure what to think. Having read it i definitely plan on buying it and adding it to my collection. If you haven't read this i highly suggest it.

My rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5

Final Thoughts: I was a bit leary about getting these from the library but I'm glad I did. I hope the rest are as good as this one.

Up Next
X-Men: With Great Power

On Deck

Batman '66 Vol. 2

All*Star Superman

Stephen King's The Dark Tower The Gunslinger: The Journey Begins

Batman: Vol. 7 Endgame

Superman: A Celebration of 75 years

X-Men: With Great Power (Marvel)
(X-Men #7-11)​

How Everything Flows Together: It flows together great except the last one didn't fit. 1-10 was the main story but #11 was about Xavier telling Jubilee a story about a vampire he met so she would be at ease with her own vampirism. Good but out of place.

The Storyline: The X-Men get word that children are going missing in NYC so they go investigate. This puts them in touch with Spider-Man and they all go down to the sewers where the run into some lizard people. It turns out Dark Beast is using Dr. Connors' research to turn the missing children into the lizard people as well as 3 X-Men. Battle happens, good guys win.

Artistry: It's not my favorite. It just looks a bit to amateurish for me to really get into it from an artistic standpoint.

How Much I liked it: i liked the crossover aspect with Spider-Man but the artistry and #11 not belonging reall took it down for me. All things considered it was just slightly above average.

Final Thoughts: A good read if you like X-Men or Spider-Man but look for it at your library before you choose to buy it.

My rating: * * * 1/4 out of 5
Up Next

On Deck

Batman '66 Vol. 2

All*Star Superman

Superman Codename: Patriot (DC)​

(Superman: World of New Krypton #6, Action Comics #880, Supergirl #44, Superman #691 & Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #2)​

How Everything Flows Together: Spread over five different titles it flowed together surprisingly well. The overarching storyline was present and moved forward through all of them.

The Storyline: Superman left Earth for New Krypton to keep an eye on Zod. At the start of the story Zod is shot and the shooter flies to earth followed by Superman & Supergirl. One there they find out there is a massive conspiracy that is trying to start a war between earth & New Krypton.

Artistry: I like it. Everything is clear and really helps the story. Easily one of my favorites despite not being my favorite style.

How much I Liked It: I enjoyed it except for one thing. It ended without the storyline being finished. An interplanetary war is still on the horizon and now i need to find out where the story ends so i can get a hold of it. That really brings everything down for me.

Final Thoughts: Why not just finish the story? I can't be the only one who got irritated at the fact it left off in the middle.

My Rating : * * out of 5.

Up Next

On Deck

Batman '66 Vol. 2

All*Star Superman

Civil War: Frontline Vol. 1

Civil War: Frontline Vol. 2

The New 52 Aquaman Vol. 1: Th Trench

The New 52 Batman & Robin Vol. 4: Requiem For Damian

Guardians of The Galaxy

Batman/Superman: Supergirl (DC)​
(Batman/Superman: Supergirl #8-13)​

How Everything Flows Together: it's all on title so as usual it flows together awesome

The Storyline: Batman finds a Kryptonian ship and in it is Superman's Cousin. Everyone from Superman, Batman and even Wonder Woman add their opinion on how she should be raised. Darkseid kidnaps & brainwashes her into fighting Clark. Batman saves everyone and Kara officially becomes Supergirl.

Artistry: I like it. It seems to have a classic feel to it so while it's not my favorite it's clear and adds to the story instead of distracting me

How much I Liked It: Like I've said before I really enjoy cross-overs and this is one of my favorites. The story didn't suck me in like Old Man Logan[/U] but it did come close.

Final Thoughts: a very good read that i recommend to pretty much everyone. It's perfect for a Batman fan or a Superman fan.

My Rating : * * * *1/2 out of 5.
Up Next

On Deck

Batman '66 Vol. 2

All*Star Superman

The New 52 Aquaman Vol. 1: The Trench

Guardians of The Galaxy

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again(DC)​
(Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1-3)​

How Everything Flows Together: it's all one title so as usual it flows together awesome.

The Storyline: Lex Luthor and Braniac take control of everything. Superman is Blackmailed into doing nothing while Batman and others rescue The Atom & The Flash and save the world.

Artistry: I'm not a fan. It looks like a 5th grader drew this entire thing and that really threw me off as I was Reading it.

How much I Liked It: I liked it quite a bit actually. The story is one that i really rnjoyed reading and it does make me want to read the rest of this series but the artistru really took it all down a good bit

Final Thoughts:: Great story bad artwork. Well worth the time though.

My Rating : * * * out of 5.
Up Next
All*Star Superman

On Deck

Batman '66 Vol. 2

Guardians of The Galaxy

All*Star Superman(DC)
(All*Star Superman #1-12)

How Everything Flows Together: Same as usual it's all one story spread over a dozen comics.

The Storyline: Superman saves a spaceship full of people and gets overloaded with radiation from the sun to the point where it causes his cells to breakdown, eventually killing him. Before that happens he works on his bucket list and prepares the best he can to die. It turns out Luthor is responsible for everything but Superman stops him one last time.

Artistry: It's alright. It's done well and fits the classic feel they seemed to have been going for.

How much I Liked It: I liked it quite a bit actually. The story is one that i really enjoyed reading. It kept me sucked in wanting to know what happened throughout the story.

Final Thoughts:: Awesome story that really makes me want to watch the animated film again, which you should find if you haven't.

My Rating : * * * * out of 5.
Up Next
Guardians of The Galaxy

On Deck

Batman '66 Vol. 2

Man, DKSA really disappointed me. I'm not a huge Frank Miller fan to begin with, but I enjoyed Dark Knight Returns and hoped for a strong sequel.

All Star Superman is fantastic. I'm not a huge Superman buff, but that story gets him pitch perfect.

I want to see a certain recommendation on your deck soon, Frank! ;)

Man, DKSA really disappointed me. I'm not a huge Frank Miller fan to begin with, but I enjoyed Dark Knight Returns and hoped for a strong sequel.
I need to find that one and read it. Hopefully the artwork is better than DKSA because the storyline was realy enjoyable but that artwork was just awful on every level
I want to see a certain recommendation on your deck soon, Frank! ;)
You and Lee both. All requests I'm going to buy so the earliest I'll be able to get it is next month. Valentines Day and my daughters Birthday in the same month (6 days apart as well) taps me out every February

Guardians Of The Galaxy (Marvel)(Guardians Of The Galaxy #0.1, #1-10 & Guardians Of The Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers #1)

How Everything Flows Together: It all flowed together great until the end where they tacked on Tomorrow's Avengers. It didn't finish the story and the artistry was bad. They should have just left it out.

The Storyline: Starlord & Co have to fight the Badoon as well stop Thanos from destroying earth. Iron Man was also there and call Golden Guardian.

Artistry: It's alright until Tomorrow's Avengers. That one was horrible and really took it down

How much I Liked It: I liked it quite a bit. I had only seen the movie before this so i didn't have a lot of knowledge about this group going in. After reading it though i definitely want to read more.

Final Thoughts: Awesome story that everyone should read. If you've never read it before it's a good place to start because it goes into a little backstory to start things off.

My Rating : * * *3/4 out of 5.
Up Next

On Deck
Batman '66 Vol. 2

DareDevil: The Man Without Fear

Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom (Dark Horse)
(Dark Horse Presents #151, Dark Horse Presents Annual '98 & '99, Gary Gianni's The MonsterMen, Abe Sapien: Drums of The Dead and Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1 & 2)

How Everything Flows Together: It didn't. All this was is a bunch of stand-alone short stories

The Storyline:There's 9 of them. One if them is, i kid you not a 2 page story about Hellboy eating pancakes for the first time.

Artistry: Good Artistry would have helped but sadly we didn't get that either. It was pretty bad.

How much I Liked It: I didn't care for it at all. When the first story is about pancakes my hopes aren't very high.

Final Thoughts: i picked this up because I had seen the movies. I was a bit leary getting one from a less well known company but decided I would give it a shot because I enjoy a lot of stuff people think is shit. A decision I regret. If you've never read it then don't bother. If you have then I feel your pain.

My Rating : * out of 5.
Up Next

On Deck
Batman '66 Vol. 2

Batman/Superman: The Search for Kryptonite(DC)
(Batman/Superman #44-49)

How Everything Flows Together: We're back to perfect flow which is nice

The Storyline: Batman & Superman decide to rid the world of Kryptonite. They go around the world and destroy most of it. Then the US government gets involved and Amanda Waller almost kills Clark with Kryptonite weapons as well as a Kryptonite laced Doomsday clone & unmasks Bruce. Turns out Lexcorp provided them with the weapons so they go pay Clark's old flame and new Lexcorp CEO Lana Lang a visit. Something happens i won't spoil for you. The end has Clark giving Bruce the last piece of Kryptonite just in case.

Artistry: Just like the last one in this series it has that classic feel I'm starting to really enjoy that adds to the story.

How much I Liked It: I enjoyed it. Again it's perfect for the Batman or Superman fan so it's really enjoyable if you're like me and are fans of both of them.

Final Thoughts: A great change of pace after the last one. After reacing these two in the Batman/Superman series I will definitely be on the look out for more

My Rating : * * * *1/2 out of 5
Up Next
Batman '66 Vol. 2

On Deck

Not sure if you read them, but in terms of Batman, you have to read

Batman: Year One
Batman: The Man Who Laughs
Batman: The Long Halloween

That's where I started with graphic novels (I have always been a big Batman fan from the movies and the animated series and games, just never had read the comics).

I have Dark Victory that I will likely read this weekend.

I would have to check but I think I have all of those on my Amazon wish list already.

It's just a matter of being able to buy them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back