My Novel review thread.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
So i figured I'd do one of these for the regular novels I read. Not only do I have a rather large collection I can go to the library and grab a couple so this will be updated a lot more frequently than my other 2.

As for what I'm going to start with I've ben re-reading a favorite trilogy of mine so I'll start with book 1.

The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara Book 1: Isle Witch by Terry Brooks

Plot: A wing rider finds an elf floating in the ocean off the west coast of the Four Lands. He first goes to Arbolon, the Elven capital, to tell them about the stranfe man he found. The elf King has him go to the Druid Walker and ask if he will speak with him. He does and after they talk (something big happens here) the Druid picks a crew to travel by Air Ship to the land that is depicted on a map found with the elf. They find 3 keys the map says they will need and after months of flight they make it to where they are going. As can be expected bad things happen when they get there and the end has a young man named Bek Rowe confronting Walker's most powerful enemy who followed them, The Isle Witch.

re-readability: Not so much. The Book relies on suspense to keep you turning pages and while still a fantastic book once you read it once it'll probably sit on your bookshelf for a while.

My thoughts: Terry Brooks is one of my favorite authors. Anything by him is a must read but get all 3 books because this ends on a massive cliff hanger.

My rating: * * * *out of 5 stars.

The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara Book 2: Antrax by Terry Brooks

Plot: The crew of the Jerle Shannara make their way to the ruins of Castledown on the continent of Parkasia to look for the books of Old World magic they came to find only things aren't what they seem. Antrax, the guardian of the books will do anything to protect that knowledge and will kill anyone who attempts to steal it. Not only that the Isle Witch has followed them from the Four Lands and is looking to kill Walker and take the books for herself.

re-readability: More than the first one, especially if you like fights scenes, death & magic as well as evil lizard people.

My thoughts: a great book with a lot of action. It keeps you in suspense as you turn the pages but after ' there you've read it and you know what's coming it loses a bit of its shine.

My rating: * * * * 1/2 out of 5

The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara Book 3: Morgawr by Terry Brooks

Plot: The books they came halfway across the world to find destroyed and the Isle Witch incapacitated the surviving crew of the Jerle Shannara must face her mentor The Morgawr on their way back home.

re-readability: decently re-readable. They go into enough frrom the first couple books the reader isn't to confused if they haven't read them or it's been a while.

My thoughts: a great book with a lot of action ans suspense throughout the climax of the story. As a stand-alone it's alright even.

My rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5

My Series Rating: * * * * * out of 5

I went and got a bunch of books from the library that I'm going to review.
Up Next
The Fall of Shannara (Book 1): The Black Elfstone by Terry Brooks

On Deck
The Genesis of Shannara (Book 1): Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks

The Genesis of Shannara (Book 3): The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks

BattleMage by Stephen Aryan

BloodMage by Stephen Aryan

ChaosMage by Stephen Aryan
I've never read any of these hell one of them is brand neew. Never even heard of Stephen Aryan so I'm excited

The Fall Of Shannara Book 1
The Black Elfstone by Terry Brooks

Plot: An exiled Druid named Drisker Arc and his young student Tarshs Kaynin go to Varfleet to find out who is trying to kill him and they get sucked into the machinations of The Druid Order and their enemies all while Tarsha is trying to save her brother from falling into total madness

re-readability: decently re-readable. I'd only wait a month or so to pick it back up. Which isn't bad when you consider the fact it's usually 6 months to a year

My thoughts: A very good start to what I hear is the grand finale to the Shannara saga that started with Sword of Shannara back in the 70s. I can't wait to read the rest as they come out.

Up Next

On Deck

Plot: A crazed man is trying to take over the world and a war of magic and strength takes place at the city of Charas where either the Battle Mage Balfruss or his enemy The Warlock will perish to deside the fate of the world.

re-readability: decently re-readable. I'd pick it up again a few weeks after finishing the trilogy, which is more than I can say for a lot of my other books.

My thoughts: I saw this at the library and grabbed it on a whim and I'm glad I did & I'm really glad I grabbed the other 2 in the series. Can't wait to read them.

Up Next

On Deck

I grabbed a couple more books from the Library so I figured I'd add them to the list. I'm about halfway done with BloodMage so hopefully that's done soon.
Up Next

On Deck

The Genesis of Shannara (Book 2): The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks

Death's Mistress by Terry Goodkind

Plot: Set a year after the events of the 1st book this one deals with the city of Perizzi and a rash of unexplained murders. It doesn't help that a gang war is brewing in the cities underworld and someone is trying to assasinate 2 queens.

re-readability: decently re-readable. I'd pick it up again a few weeks after finishing the trilogy, which is more than I can say for a lot of my other books.

My thoughts: I'm loving this series. With every chapter I'm becoming a bigger fan of guy

Up Next

On Deck

Plot: After the Great Wars destroyed most of the earth most of the people live in giant compounds. Some however live outside. Logan Tom is one of those people. He's a Knight of the Word tasked with finding a magical creature called The Gypsy Morph, the last hope to save man kind from the demons bent on nothing but the extinction of the human race. While he's looking for him another Knight of the Word named Angel Perez is tasked with finding the missing elves.

re-readability: 100% i absolutely love this book and would read it again right now if I didn't have others to read.

Why I Liked/Didn't Like It: in this case I liked it. Reading the other Shannara books I've always wondered about the Great Wars and Old World they constantly reference and with these books I have to wonder no more. It helps also that they're written by a true Master of his craft.

My thoughts: If you've read any of the earlier Shannara books you owe it to yourself to read this. All the creatures you read about are explained here and everything falls into place like a puzzle you didn't even know you were trying to put together.

My rating: * * * * * out of 5
Up Next

On Deck

H.P. Lovecraft The Complete Fiction (there's way to many to name so I'll do it as I get them done

Plot: Set a year after the events of the 1st book this one deals with the city of Perizzi and a rash of unexplained murders. It doesn't help that a gang war is brewing in the cities underworld and someone is trying to assassinate 2 queens.

My thoughts: I'm loving this series. With every chapter I'm becoming a bigger fan of guy

For some reason (probably lack of sleep) I put the wrong title in the original post I quoted. This is the only way I have to fix it. If someone wants to fix it and delete this post that would be fantastic.

Plot: Decimated by the BattleMage War the city of Voechenka is a town being overrun by the living dead. It's up to Balfruss, the hero of the BattleMage War, and a small group of survivors to stop them from taking over the town and then the world

re-readability: the whole series is amazing. I'd read this again in a heartbeat

Why I Liked/Didn't Like It: i loved this because it kept me guessing and that in turn kept me turning pages. I couldn't put it down.

My thoughts: I always enjoy finding a new author that I end up loving. I'm definitely gonna be looking for more of his books.

My series rating: * * * * * out of 5
Up Next

On Deck

H.P. Lovecraft The Complete Fiction (there's way to many to name so I'll do it as I get them done)

The Nicci Chronicles Book 1: Death's Mistress by Terry Goodkind

Plot: A former Sister of the Dark Nicci must now travel with Nathan Rahl to spread word of the peace that has now come over the world thanks to Richard Rahl, the leader of the D'Haran empire.

re-readability: oh God yes, in a heart beat

Why I Liked/Didn't Like It: I loved this book. As the book went on i found myself frantically reading just so i could find out what happened next. Mot to mention the feels i felt towards the end. I swear I shed a tear.

My thoughts: Terry Goodkind is one of my favorite authors and this book reaffirms why. Anyone who likes the genre owes it to themselves to read this as well as his Sword of Truth series.

Up Next

On Deck

H.P. Lovecraft The Complete Fiction (there's way to many to name so I'll do it as I get them done)

Plot: Knight of the Word Logan Tom is tasked with finding and protecting The gypsy morph, a magical creature destined to save the human race from extinction provided the demons don't kill him first. Another Knight, Angel Perez is tasked with saving the elves from the same fate.

re-readability: oh God yes, in a heart beat

Why I Liked/Didn't Like It: It shouldn't come as a surprise that I enjoyed this book. When an author can make me as a reader care about the characters to the point I feel actual sadness when someone dies that's a good thing.

My thoughts: I just brought this book home 8 or so hours ago so that should tell you how good it is. I couldn't even put it down while I was cooking dinner.

Up Next

On Deck

Plot: Logan Tom & Angel Perez have each accomplished the tasks given to them by The World and must now keep the Gypsy Morph named Hawk safe from a demon army so he can fufill his destiny and save the thousands of people with him

re-readability: I would read it again

Why I Liked/Didn't Like It: I did enjoy it but not as much as the others because it just stopped. Like there should have been at least another chapter.

My thoughts: An awesome trilogy that I recommend to anyone who likes fantasy...save for the somewhat jarring ending of the last book. That part is the only thing that kept it from 5 stars

My series rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5
Up Next
The Beast In The Cave by H.P. Lovecraft

On Deck

I've added some of my favorites from my bookshelf as well as a couple I've never read before that I thought I would share and review
Up Next
The Beast In The Cave by H.P. Lovecraft

On Deck

A Guile Of Dragons by James Enge

1984 by George Orwell

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Life, The Universe and Everything So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, Mostly Harmless & Young Zaphod Plays It Safe (a short story))

And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back