MMA April - The Jonestown Massacre Led By Chael Sonnen

Nate Diaz has split from Ceaser Gracie. I can't wait to hear more about this.

In other crazy news, Tito has been saying the judging was rigged in his retirement fight. Truly Truly an insane man.

Nate Diaz has split from Ceaser Gracie. I can't wait to hear more about this.

And he's being repped by Mike Kogan now. I'm not sure if that's a better or worse situation to be in. I really want to hear more of what's going on inside the Cesar Gracie camp. I'm assuming there's a lot of inner turmoil that we're not privy to and this is the smoking gun.

In other crazy news, Tito has been saying the judging was rigged in his retirement fight. Truly Truly an insane man.

Man has a cracked skull, remember.

Cesar Gracie was handing out wolf tickets, man.

Anybody else excited for Ellenberger/MacDonald? I can't imagine MacDonald losing -- dude's an animal -- but Ellenberger's no slouch. Should be a solid test, which'll do wonders for clearing up some of the future contenders in the division. Another random bit of news: Lombard's trying to drop to Welterweight. Don't know if he can make the cut honestly, but if he can retain his power he could be a force in the division. Then again, he hasn't been great in the UFC. Time will tell.

Very interesting about Nate. Curious to see how this came about. MMA fans have long speculated that Cesar hasn't had the Diaz bros best interest at heart for a couple of years now, maybe they were right and Nate saw it for himself. Look forward to hearing more about this and seeing if Nick jumps ship as well.

And MacDonald/Ellenberger is a good fight on paper, especially for free tv, but Rory's going to clown him worse than he did BJ. Ellenberger's overrated as shit and won't ever beat a complete fighter like that douchebag Rory.

Chances that Urijah Hall kills a man with one of his KOs in his career? I was watching some footage of his pre TUF fights and goddamn is he a killer. You would never know it by the way he acts though.

On a TUF related note, is it just me or did it look like Scott Jorgenson's skin look better than usual? I'm not sure if Vitiligo can lessen over time, but the pigmentation difference wasn't as noticeable at the weigh ins.

It's gonna be an interesting one tonight, on one hand it could be a great underdog victory, on the other hand Uriah could kill him.

Very interesting about Nate. Curious to see how this came about. MMA fans have long speculated that Cesar hasn't had the Diaz bros best interest at heart for a couple of years now, maybe they were right and Nate saw it for himself. Look forward to hearing more about this and seeing if Nick jumps ship as well.

I hope they both jump ship.

From a real ship.

Into lava.

I wonder if Diaz himself started the rumor that Gracie didn't have their best interests in mind. Just to give themselves MORE excuses. And if Gracie truly didn't look out for Nick and Nate, then I'd like to buy him a drink and thank him for keeping those two trashbags out of UFC titles.

Don't be shy, IC. Tell us how you really feel...

Anyways, really looking forward to the show this week. Such an awesome main card.

Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson should be fireworks. Thomson is the most underrated fighter in MMA right now, IMO. I think Diaz edges out a victory in a close, competitive fight, but still... Josh is not to be overlooked.

Cormier is most likely going to demolish Mir, but you know how some guys always get a 'puncher's chance'? Well, Mir deserves to have a submission's chance. Most likely won't happen, but if the fight hits the ground, you never know.

And Gil/Bendo is as big of a toss-up title fight I've ever seen. Could go either way. Can't wait to see it.

Smart UFC Fans!

Chael Sonnen is going to pressure Jones like no one ever has. If Chael wouldn't of tried to get fancy in his last fight with Sonnen, we'd have Chael Sonnen "UFC Middleweight Champion."

I predict Chael will not do that this time and realize that in order to win, he needs to ground and pound Jones into the octagon floor and straight to hell.

Chael Sonnen, greatest UFC fighter to ever walk the planet.

BOOK IT!

Smart UFC Fans!

Chael Sonnen is going to pressure Jones like no one ever has. If Chael wouldn't of tried to get fancy in his last fight with Sonnen, we'd have Chael Sonnen "UFC Middleweight Champion."

I predict Chael will not do that this time and realize that in order to win, he needs to ground and pound Jones into the octagon floor and straight to hell.

Chael Sonnen, greatest UFC fighter to ever walk the planet.

BOOK IT!

I like this guy, welcome aboard!

I hope they both jump ship.

From a real ship.

Into lava.

I wonder if Diaz himself started the rumor that Gracie didn't have their best interests in mind. Just to give themselves MORE excuses. And if Gracie truly didn't look out for Nick and Nate, then I'd like to buy him a drink and thank him for keeping those two trashbags out of UFC titles.

Why would you buy Cesar Gracie a drink when he is probably more financially well off than you? He's basically the Don King to Nick Diaz's Mike Tyson.

Cormier is most likely going to demolish Mir, but you know how some guys always get a 'puncher's chance'? Well, Mir deserves to have a submission's chance. Most likely won't happen, but if the fight hits the ground, you never know.

We'll see. People are underrating Mir. With the jump to Jackson's camp, he'll be coming off of a training camp that is vastly different as he's not being surrounded by family and yes-men. I still think Mir is on a different level than a Josh Barnett or a Bigfoot Silva (who despite being #1 Contender is still not very good). A motivated Mir coming off an actual training camp means that he's got a very good chance to win this fight. I absolutely believe he can catch Cormier.

I'm probably the biggest Mir fan here, but I can't see him getting past Cormier. Frank can and will submit anybody, I mean he submit Big Nog FFS, but Cormier's hand are too heavy. I don't see Frank taking him down, and while Frank has underrated striking, I don't see him being able to stand with Cormier.

Great fight between Uriah & Kelvin, really surprised there wasn't a finish but I'm glad it went the distance. Last pick to Ultimate Fighter winner - brilliant.

Sadly, Mir has hit a big wall. I don't think he is going to get past Cormier and have him having maybe one more fight in the UFC.

Thanks for the warm welcome :). Can't wait till the actual card and to have someone to talk MMA with during the show on here!

Veteran MMA referee Josh Rosenthal awaits sentencing after pleading guilty to conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana and possession with intent to distribute.

One year ago, federal agents raided an Oakland, Calif., warehouse owned by Rosenthal and an associate that contained 1,356 marijuana plants, according to a copy of the agreement, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) obtained from the U.S. District Attorney's office in Oakland.

The drug's street value was estimated at more than $6 million.

Rosenthal is due in U.S. District Court on May 17. The government is recommending 37 months in jail, fines and five years of probation, during which he would be subject to random searches, according to the agreement. Without a deal, he faced 10 years to life in prison, a $10 million fine and a minimum of five years' probation.

However, the court ultimately will decide Rosenthal's sentence.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/veteran-mma-referee-josh-rosenthal-cops-plea-awaits-sentencing-in-marijuana-case

What the hell? This is so crazy and I'm shocked at this news. Rosenthal really screwed up this time and will not be calling any fights in the near future. This is just to crazy.

I'm probably the biggest Mir fan here, but I can't see him getting past Cormier. Frank can and will submit anybody, I mean he submit Big Nog FFS, but Cormier's hand are too heavy. I don't see Frank taking him down, and while Frank has underrated striking, I don't see him being able to stand with Cormier.

Nope, i don't think you are. I dont post much anymore because i've not been watching mma lately. But heavyweights are about all I watch, and Mir has been my favorite fighter for years. When he just about ripped off Tank's foot sealed that for me. Don't sleep on Mir, he can still catch people

This Rosenthal story is really screwy. I never expect the unexpected in MMA anymore with the Diaz brothers and Marquardt situations, but this just blows my mind. I know he was having some trouble and let this license lap, but this is just crazy.

Nice sig King Sonnen.

Speaking of Diaz Brothers:

Nate Diaz has come out and said he's moving back to Welterweight after the Thomson fight unless he gets a fight that really interests him. He stated that he's basically "fought everyone" and wants new challenges.

Apparently he forgot about this.

iYmecTM4wKtly.gif

I do agree that Sonnen is going to push the pressure in a way Jones hasn't really seen before. Sonnen is great for that, he just doesn't give a damn.

That said, at the very best, Sonnen might get one round on Jones before getting finished, there is very little chance of Sonnen getting a finish himself, and I expect Jones to submit him in the second or third round.

I love both fighters and hope I'm wrong.

While I'm pretty confident and hope Cormier wins his fight, we can never count Frank Mir out. This seems like the kind of fight he could get a upset in, and deep down I'm sort of expecting it. I hope it doesn't happen though, not because I dislike Mir, moreso because of how it will mess with the Heavyweight rankings.

Melendez is getting SEVERELY underrated by most people because of his last fight. I do expect a Bendo win, but most people I've talked to seem to be in the mindset that Bendo is going to dominate him in the fashion he did to Diaz. Sure, Bendo looked great there, but Melendez isn't Diaz, and lets not forget how much trouble Frankie and Guida gave him before hand. I will repeat I expect Bendo to win, but I don't think this is as one sided as many seem to be thinking.

My girlfriend and I were watching movies the other night, when she asked me to show her some MMA fights, she wants to try and understand my love for combat. She came to my Jiu Jitsu competition and watches me train from time to time, I get her to do some stuff on the focus pads sometime. Did I mention she was a keeper?

Anyway, I wasn't expecting her to want to watch some, so I chose fights with little timeframe, kind of just grabbing what was in front of me. The first fight I showed her was Jones vs Machida, which she didn't mind. I then showed her Silva vs Okami, which she appreciated a lot more. She appreciated it mainly because she could see the story unfolding, she could understand what Silva was doing, how he was planning it all out. She even commentated it as she watched it. She told me she wanted to watch a few more in the future, so I'm thinking about what to show her with that in mind.

I don't want to get brawls, or brutality, she wants to see fights where she can understand the mindset of what is going on. She also said she would like to see more grappling because its what I do, so I'm probably going to grab Stann vs Sonnen next time.

Any other reccomendations of a good fight that is more strategic then brawling? I also would prefer not to be showing 5 rounders because I don't think she would enjoy such a lengthy affair just yet.

Speaking of Diaz Brothers:

Nate Diaz has come out and said he's moving back to Welterweight after the Thomson fight unless he gets a fight that really interests him. He stated that he's basically "fought everyone" and wants new challenges.

Apparently he forgot about this.

iYmecTM4wKtly.gif

He didn't lose that fight, look at their faces and then judge who won. Stockton rules baby.

Seriously though, he is undersized for 170. There are too many strong grapplers there for him to find much success.

In other Diaz news, Dana had said he wants to offer Nick a fight, if he knew how to reach him.

Maia came out a couple of days ago saying "it would be an honor to fight Nick Diaz." I'm pretty sure that's the fight Dana wants to offer him, and I'd be willing to bet that's the fight Dana wants headlining the UFC on Fox in Boston show.

Will Nick take it... your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure if the money is too good to refuse, then he won't refuse. But, the UFC has to make that offer first.

And I know if Nick did accept, everyone would think Maia would "Fitch" Nick like he did Fitch, but I don't see that happening at all. I'll get more into it if that fight does indeed go down.

I didn't watch the weigh ins, but I heard Nate had some issues. Can anyone fill me in?

I did check the photos, and Mir is looking good. I still see him getting knocked out sadly, but he doesn't look flabby or like he is trying to outweigh Brock.

I didn't watch the weigh ins, but I heard Nate had some issues. Can anyone fill me in?

I did check the photos, and Mir is looking good. I still see him getting knocked out sadly, but he doesn't look flabby or like he is trying to outweigh Brock.

He had to strip down naked to make weight. It took forever for them to make the announcement so Nate was standing there naked flexing his arms. That is about it unless I missed something while I was watching.

Is anyone else suprised that they're indicating that Gil won't get an immediate rematch? It seems like it has been standard practice over the last 2-3 years for guys to get rematches when a title fight is that close. Perhaps Dana doesn't want to see the LW belt get held hostage again, the way it was during most of Frankie's reign.

As for the fight, I feel bad for the judges, they just can't win in a fight like that. I thought Melendez clearly won the first, while Bendo clearly took the fourth. The other three rounds were complete toss-ups. I scored the fight for Henderson, but it easily could have gone either way with no controversy.

I scored the fight for Henderson -- I had him taking rounds 2, 3, and 4. Still, Gil went out there and put on a awesome performance; Melendez will smash through everyone else at 155 with ease. Great fight, regardless.

Honestly, I thought the whole card last night was awesome (Larkin/Carmont was a ridiculous decision, but whatever). Nate Diaz's gameplan made very little sense -- dude was just eating head kicks. I was pulling for him, but that was a weird fight. Mir could have beaten Cormier, but he seemed content to be pressed up against the cage the whole time. Cormier was pretty underwhelming, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back