MMA April - The Jonestown Massacre Led By Chael Sonnen

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
[YOUTUBE]B4nKgg_BbtM[/YOUTUBE]

The time has come. Come April 28th, the fraudulent throne of Fake Champion Jon Jones will be usurped by a man who could very well be considered the greatest man in the history of MMA.

Get used to seeing this image, ladies and germs. Come April 27th, there will be nowhere for Jon Jones to go, unless he gets another DUI. I'd guess between now and April 27th, Jones will drunkenly crash into another pole to avoid his fate.

Between now and the end of the month, Chael is probably going to let Jones have it, damaging his fragile little ego.

ChaelSonnen.jpg

Calendar
Literally Something UFC Related Everyday on FuelTV if you have it.

4/4 - Bellator 95: Curran vs. Shamhalaev
4/5 - One FC: Kings and Champions
4/6 - UFC on Fuel - Who Knows vs. Mousasi (Or: Pearson vs. Couture)
4/13 - TUF 17 Finale - Faber vs. Jorgensen
4/20 - UFC on Fox - Henderson vs. Melendez
4/27 - UFC 159 - Jones vs. Sonnen

Essential Websites:
http://www.mma.ly
http://www.ufc.com

Visit At Your Own Peril:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.sherdog.net
The Underground

Useful Links:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com

Noteworthy/Discussion Topics:
  • Chael Sonnen is finally going to win a title.
  • First he'll beat Jones, then destroy Machida.
  • Or, maybe once Chael wins, maybe he'll grant Anderson a shot at HIS title in a unification fight and prove that he's better than him once and for all.
  • Jon Jones ducked Chael, remember, he wants nothing to do with this fight.
  • Last time Chael fought a Greg Jackson-trained fighter, not only did he dominate him, but he finished him!
  • Nobody has ever pressured Jones like Chael will. Rashad had a terrible gameplan. Chael is going to be constant pressure from the beginning.
  • Chael doesn't get nearly enough credit that he deserves. That all changes by the end of the month.

Chael is doing a countdown to UFC 159 on his Twitter. So far, here's what he's posted.

30 - the days left until the fall of your champion and the rise of the DARKSIDE #UFC159 #4/27/13

29 - the year AD in which King Dionysius died and was succeed by Spartacus. 29 days and I too take what is rightfully mine #UFC159 #4/27/13

28 - The IQ of anyone who questions that I'm the baddest man walking around this or any other planet. My coronation awaits. #UFC159 #4/27/13

27 - the number of unfortunate souls collected on my path to immortality #UFC159 #4/27/13

26 - the day in 1560 in which Nostradamus predicted Chael P Sonnen would be the greatest to have ever done it. He was right #UFC159 #4/27/13

[YOUTUBE]PiANxAYoszk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vfsS6AmQ6M0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ttNnOBh6sGo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8Z8XhIDXuFQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UEHnfm8ZBvM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]dpNqN9eNKgQ[/YOUTUBE]

I honestly don't think it's too far-fetched to think that Sonnen could best Jones. Sonnen's aggressive and will put tons of pressure on Jones. Sonnen's one hell of a wrestler too (better than Jones, by my estimation), so I can't see Jones being able to rag doll him and impose his will on him -- he'll have to work for it. Jones is obviously the favorite for a reason, but I think Sonnen poses a decent threat.

In other news, I'm still not entirely sure if Mousasi/Gus is off or on. Dana said it's on, according to Ariel Helwani -- who knows, though? I hope he can still fight, since I can't imagine any of the replacements would bring much of a challenge. Either way, Mousasi's my pick to win. He's ridiculous. Good hands, good on the ground, he's the real deal. He'll inject some fresh blood into that division. Even with a Gus win, I'd be happy. New contenders for the title are always welcome.

For Sonnen to win he'll need to have the exact same performance Cain Velasquez had against against JDS. Pressure, pressure, pressure, pressure and then some more pressure. It has to be non-stop; he can't let Jones breathe for a second. Whether he can do it or not, I have my serious doubts, but I know that's what it's going to take for him to win this fight.

He is also going to need some luck. Jones knows how to use his reach advantage better than anyone, and he has a pretty solid reach advantage here. He had two shots at Andy, he came the closest in a long long time the first go round, but he still fell. I think he falls here too. I don't like Jones, I'd like to see him lose, but I don't think Chael is the guy.

Apparently Wand has been offered the fight against Mousasi and he's strongly considering it. Ummm... holy shit?

I think Mousasi beats Wandy's ass but not before Wandy puts up a great fight. Hopefully this comes to fruition if Gus is indeed unable to compete.

If this is indeed true, I'm absolutely terrified for Wanderlei, just like I have been for most of his last fights. His win against Stann notwithstanding, he's looked pretty terrible lately. I'm worried he'll walk in there and take a huge beating and get knocked out. Badly. It's on short notice and it's against a very good fighter in Mousasi -- I realize Wandy's riding a wave of confidence right now, but he should really think this fight over.

I don't know why but I had a feeling this was going to happen. I thought Wandy was going to get slaughtered by Stann but he showed he still has something left in the tank. Mousasi is underrated but overrated at the same time. Let's not forget this is the same guy that fought to a draw against a completely shot Keith Jardine who took him down at will.

Sonnen is absolutely going to pressure Jones. You never know how a fight is going to unfold. Remember, Dan Henderson also had a reputation of being a great wrestler... and he got laid on by Jake Shields. We have no idea how Jones is going to handle being on his back and being ground and pounded out. People think Jones can grab Sonnen in a choke in a scramble... Sonnen actually has really good submission defense, look no further than the Marquardt fight (which I just rewatched a few nights ago) where Marquardt had him in quite a few chokes that would have finished most guys. He's really only susceptible to the triangle, and if I were to guess, he must know how to defend one by now.

So, uh... looks like Wanderlei is at the very least being flown in to be on standby.

"Joe Silva called me today and I was surprised, but what others see as I see adversity I see as opportunity. I'm ready, closing bags, travel to Sweden tomorrow morning," Wand told TATAME. "I'm now at night to a gauntlet hitting the gym tomorrow morning I am embarking to Sweden. I'll take the Rafael Cordeiro, I'm still seeing if Werdum will also ... everyone was caught by surprise."

Chael Sonnen's best chance at winning a fight against Jon Jones is a lucky punch. Outside of a lucky punch, I've seen nothing from Chael Sonnen to make me think he can beat Jon Jones.

Chael Sonnen's best chance at winning a fight against Jon Jones is a lucky punch. Outside of a lucky punch, I've seen nothing from Chael Sonnen to make me think he can beat Jon Jones.

Like I said earlier, relentless pressure is his only other option. He'll have to run forward and attack Jones all night. Someone mentioned Jones' reach earlier, and if Sonnen can neutralize that, he'll give himself a considerably better chance at winning. Then, if he can manage to take Jones down and keep him down (a big if, but Sonnen's a great wrestler -- his takedown accuracy is 60%), he'll be able to score some points and try to go the distance. Still, it's going to be hard for him to do that. I think he can, but we won't really know until he steps into the cage with Jones. It's crucial that he cut down the space between he and Jones and press him, though -- he can't let Jones pepper him with shots from a distance.

A lucky punch is always possible, too.

Apparently Wand was pulling an April Fool's joke on everyone yesterday. And Mousasi is pissed...

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/4/2/41...ass-wanderlei-silva-idiot-of-the-year-ufc-mma

I'm with Mousasi on this. Dude is a week away from a fight; you don't fuck around with his mind-set for some silly prank like that.

I'm now rooting for Mousasi to crush Gus or whoever he fights, then crush Wandy, and then get a title shot against Jon Jones (who, yes, will still be champion by that time, sorry Guy). WAR Mousasi! With Shogun clearly out his prime, Mousasi is easily my #1 favorite Light Heavyweight.

I'm fully willing to dismiss the near entirety of the opening post in this thread as it pertains to the UFC 159 main event as the comedically misguided over-confidence of a Chael supporter, and am therefore willing to laugh at the absurdity of it, this however:

•Or, maybe once Chael wins, maybe he'll grant Anderson a shot at HIS title in a unification fight and prove that he's better than him once and for all.

The fact that the Chael fans have not let this go is evidence of borderline psychotic delusion. No offense Guy.

They fought. Twice. Anderson stopped Chael. Twice.

He made him tap. He TKO'd him. He finished him the first time while injured, and shouldn't even have been in the cage. The second time, when helathy, he didn't let Chael make it to the middle of round 2.

Chael is not in Anderson's league. He's not even remotely close. Any argument to the contrary is futile and too ill-conceived to even be laughable at this junction.

But good for Chael. Epic trolling and four rounds of top control against an injured opponent has been enough to garner him not only one, but now a second completely undeserved title shot. As well as a multitude of minions equally willing to troll for his cause. He should be commended for that. Great heels sell fights.

I'm fully willing to dismiss the near entirety of the opening post in this thread as it pertains to the UFC 159 main event as the comedically misguided over-confidence of a Chael supporter, and am therefore willing to laugh at the absurdity of it, this however

I gotta stick by Chael. I fully believed he would beat Silva both times, and I've had to talk myself into it this time with Jones. Do I think Chael has a path to victory here? Yes. That being said, it's going to be extremely difficult and the OP was totally done tongue in cheek.

Mousasi is officially fighting some nobody called Iliir Latifa. Well, he's not really a nobody; he's Swedish and a training partner of Gustafsson. Can't really fault the UFC that this was the best they could come up with on such short notice.

Still, fuck Wanderlei Silva. I'll get over it eventually, but as Mousasi put it, Wand is a major jackass for that little stunt yesterday.

I'm really, really tempted to say Latifi could pull off the upset. Extremely short notice fight and we could have a Story/Brenneman situation on our hands.

However, I fully expect Mousasi to show he's UFC level.

Latifi is a great wrestler -- he's won a bunch of medals in Sweden and has been at it since he was 5 years old, apparently. Still, I expect Mousasi to crush him and tag him really early on. The bright lights are probably going to be too much for this Latifi guy anyway. Smart move by him to accept the fight, even if the odds are against him; I'd be stunned if the UFC didn't offer Latifi another fight, win or lose.

Latifi is a great wrestler -- he's won a bunch of medals in Sweden and has been at it since he was 5 years old, apparently. Still, I expect Mousasi to crush him and tag him really early on. The bright lights are probably going to be too much for this Latifi guy anyway. Smart move by him to accept the fight, even if the odds are against him; I'd be stunned if the UFC didn't offer Latifi another fight, win or lose.

And this is why I'm soooo tempted to throw $100 on Latifi.

If Keith Jardine could take Mousasi down at will......

And this is why I'm soooo tempted to throw $100 on Latifi.

If Keith Jardine could take Mousasi down at will......

Exactly. That would be one hell of a return if Latifi won. It's not an ideal position for Mousasi to be in, but I think he'll come in as motivated as ever, though. Regardless, what's a win against Latifi really worth? Mousasi might get complacent, you never know. It'll be interesting.

Mousasi beat Latifi. I think a good fight to book right now is Ryan Bader vs. Gegard Mousasi:

Bader after losing to Machida really needs a win to rebound himself, and Gegard needs a win over a Top 10 competitor to establish himself in the LHW Division. Gegard's TDD, needs to be tested to see how it's improved, & Bader needs to show if he can handle himself against elite strikers.

So Matt Mittrione has been suspended and will be investigated, whatever that is supposed to mean in this case, for the comments he made regarding Fallon Fox. He called her a "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak." On the one hand I applaud the UFC and ZUFFA for taking steps to curb incidents like this, but on the other hand a lot of fighters have said worse and faced no punishment.

I think a lot of it stems from a recent interview where Dana said his sole UFC regret is when he used a certain gay slur in a video blog a few years back. Regardless, Mittrione usually puts on solid fights so I hope he isn't let go.

He called her a "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak." On the one hand I applaud the UFC and ZUFFA for taking steps to curb incidents like this

I think this is slightly misleading. He didn't call her a freak because of the sex change, he called her a freak for having a sex change and then chosing to fight women despite her being born a male. A bit different. I think a lot of people agree with him, but he probably shouldn't have said it the way he did though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back