MMA April - The Jonestown Massacre Led By Chael Sonnen

I don't mind Gil not getting an immediate rematch. One good victory from Gil and he'll get another shot, no doubt about it.

What I do mind though is the winner of TJ Grant/Gray Maynard getting the next shot at Bendo after what Josh Thomson pulled off last night. Who ever thought he could KO Nate Diaz? I thought Thomson had a good shot at pulling off the upset via decision, but never a knockout victory. It was spectacular. And considering he did it against a top 10 LW, a guy who just got a title fight against Bendo, and a guy no one else in the UFC has been able to finish... I mean, if that doesn't warrant a title shot, what does?

Grant's on a good little win streak but Maynard would be the first decent name he's defeated. To me, that's just not enough, especially since a guy like Jim Miller couldn't get a title shot after going on a much more longer and impressive winning streak. And Maynard? The guy has fought literally 3 times in the last 3 years and is 1-1-1 in those fights, with his last fight being one of the worst fights in MMA history. How the FUCK is he in consideration for a shot at Bendo next? I would understand if he was a huge name and draw, but he's not even close to being that and will never be that.

After many long years, my boy, Josh Thomson has finally returned home to the UFC and picked up a huge victory. I don't understand why the man has been so undervalued for years, granted he has had injury issues, but he is a tremendous fighter. Glad to see him finally get another shot in the UFC and pick up such a big win in the fashion that he did. Absolutely ecstatic about it.

I don't mind Gil not getting an immediate rematch. One good victory from Gil and he'll get another shot, no doubt about it.

I still think Gil got the shaft but it was a close fight and they can't be giving out rematches all the time anyway. I really think that they'll probably give him the winner of Miller/Healy. And that would be an excellent fight.

What I do mind though is the winner of TJ Grant/Gray Maynard getting the next shot at Bendo after what Josh Thomson pulled off last night. Who ever thought he could KO Nate Diaz? I thought Thomson had a good shot at pulling off the upset via decision, but never a knockout victory. It was spectacular. And considering he did it against a top 10 LW, a guy who just got a title fight against Bendo, and a guy no one else in the UFC has been able to finish... I mean, if that doesn't warrant a title shot, what does?

He still dropped the decision to Melendez even though he arguably won that fight. And he looked like crap in the fight prior to that against KJ Noons. For all the talk you give below about Maynard not being a "draw", he's still more than a draw than Thomson. And I think the Diazes really need to evolve. They're getting extremely predictable with their fight style. Thomson still needs another big top ten win to even think about being named in contention for a title shot.

Grant's on a good little win streak but Maynard would be the first decent name he's defeated. To me, that's just not enough, especially since a guy like Jim Miller couldn't get a title shot after going on a much more longer and impressive winning streak. And Maynard? The guy has fought literally 3 times in the last 3 years and is 1-1-1 in those fights, with his last fight being one of the worst fights in MMA history. How the FUCK is he in consideration for a shot at Bendo next? I would understand if he was a huge name and draw, but he's not even close to being that and will never be that.

It wasn't Gray's fault that Clay is such a dipshit. Miller was a victim of circumstance during his run. I love Jim Miller but still - his run, in hindsight - wasn't that great. Danzig/Lopez (who)/Ludwig/Bocek (could've gone either way)/Tibau/Oliveira/Shalorus isn't exactly a murderer's row and he got absolutely destroyed by Bendo. Grant already has a more impressive run in quality opponents with wins over Dunham and Wiman in his last two.

Maynard still has performed against quality level fighters. On paper he's 1-1-1, but Guida was still top 5 at the time and let's not forget how bad he destroyed Frankie during those two fights.

But really, there's nobody else. Pettis is off to fight Aldo. Melendez apparently won't get the rematch. Who else do you give the shot to?

In unrelated news... Mark Coleman apparently wanted to show off his worthless kickboxing skills that Shawn Tompkins taught him against CM Punk.

"On a related note, MMA veteran Mark Coleman was upset with Punk at last weekend's UFC event. Because UFC producers decided to show Punk on TV instead of Coleman, Coleman became furious to the point he wanted to attack Punk and start a fight with him. Nothing came of it but the situation on Coleman's side was serious enough that several people at the event were talking about it."

I still can't fully believe Nate was KOed. In all honesty I never though I would see a Diaz brother KOed.

I don't fully agree with the winner of Maynard/Grant getting the shot at Bendo next, but I have no doubt Bendo will come out on top. Even after that close fight, I don't see anyone knocking him off the perch.

Still laughing over the Mark Coleman thing.

I haven't heard the conference call yet but Chael brings up an excellent point: In 7 rounds with Anderson Silva, Chael was never dropped. He fell down. If Chael is on his game Saturday, we have a new champ.

His whole ESPN interview was gold. "Can I touch your hair?" Or when he was commending them for having two cameras to get both of his arms in frame. Amazing.

UFC on Fox in Seattle (July Card)'s main event is Mighty Mouse vs. Moraga.

Main card looks like this... definitely not a PPV on Fox worthy card like we've been getting but still decent:

Mighty Mouse vs. Moraga
MacDonald vs. Ellenberger
Saffiedine vs. Lawler
Tate vs. Carmouche

I have never seen Moraga fight but I'm assuming Mighty Mouse is going to wreck him.

Makes me wonder what Boston will get for UFC on Fox Sports 1 1. I still think Fox will want the UFC to put a title fight on the first card as they want this channel to be the answer to ESPN. I think it will be the Lightweight Title, especially where Fox loves Bendo, and he doesn't have the ego at all where he demands to be on PPV rather than free TV, he's said himself on his Facebook page that he'll be happy fighting on Fox the rest of his career. Bendo vs. Grant/Maynard lines up nicely for August 18.

So Demian Maia vs. Josh Koscheck is slated for 163.

Can someone please explain this match-making to me? This is fucking ******ed. Maia's on a 3 fight win streak in the WW Division against 3 top 10 fighters, and Josh has lost two straight in the same division. It just doesn't make sense.

The fight is also most likely going to suck. Basically Maia vs. Weidman 2.

So my post was deleted for raising a question.. okay then :lmao:

Early stoppage in the main event but Jones just beat Chael at his own game. GSP-Silva a much more interesting superfight prospect than Silva-Jones, whose toe looked fucking nasty. Big Country's KO of Kongo was impressive.

So Demian Maia vs. Josh Koscheck is slated for 163.

Can someone please explain this match-making to me? This is fucking ******ed. Maia's on a 3 fight win streak in the WW Division against 3 top 10 fighters, and Josh has lost two straight in the same division. It just doesn't make sense.

The fight is also most likely going to suck. Basically Maia vs. Weidman 2.

Dana's looking to get rid of Koscheck and his huge contract. Plus the fact that a win over Koscheck is a big enough name to build a potential title fight off of. I see it going exactly like Maia/Fitch when Fitch got Fitch'ed out of the UFC.

Exactly what Turd said. I love Kos, but he makes way too much money for the way he has been performing and acting here lately. Gonna hate to see him go, but smart business move for UFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back