MLB 2012 Playoffs LD: "Who's it gonna be?"

Verlander is scheduled for G5 Kb, not G4.
They should have him go Game 4, so he can also go Game 7. 3 Verlander games > 2, especially down in the series 2-1 or 3-0. Regardless of the quality of the staff, Verlander is a better pitcher then whoever else would be pitching.

Verlander doesn't go on short rest. I don't think he likes it, nor does Leyland. He typically throws 120+ a game and he can't do that if he's on short rest. He hasn't done it at least in the last 3 years (and thats when I stopped looking) and pitching on short rest could be a detriment to not only him but the team. If the other 3 were pitching shitty I'd tend to agree with you more but I don't see why Leyland shouldn't have confidence in Scherzer and Sanchez to get the job done. Let Verlander throw his bullets out in game 5 and allow him to come out of the pen (a la Randy Johnson in 01) in G6 and G7.

EDIT:

And Leyland has already shot this idea down, so this discussion is rather worthless.

DETROIT -- The question of Justin Verlander's availability to start again came up Friday, and it was shot down as soon as the Game 4 part of the question could be mentioned.

"No," manager Jim Leyland answered.

To those who haven't followed the Tigers extensively, it's a real debate, especially with someone known for staying strong deep into games like Verlander. Those who know the Tigers under Leyland know that he has never pitched Verlander on short rest, and he probably never will.

Leyland didn't do it down the stretch in 2009, when the Tigers unsuccessfully tried to hold off the Twins in the American League Central. He didn't do it during Detroit's postseason run last year. He kept up a high degree of caution after he had two postseason starts shortened by rain.

Simply put, Leyland has never wanted to put Verlander's arm at risk. Leyland made that clear as recently as last year's AL Division Series, when he ruled out pitching Verlander in a decisive Game 5 on what would be his side session day after starting Game 4.

"I'm not going to pitch Justin Verlander," Leyland said then. "You can argue 'till the cows come home, I'm not going to do it. I don't think it's a wise decision. Those innings he pitched the other night, all the innings he's piled up this year, all the strikeouts, all the adrenaline, and the fact that he's throwing 100 mph in the eighth inning the other night, if he comes in this game tonight, there's no telling what he would be throwing with the way this crowd is going to be and everything. I just don't think it makes sense. I really don't."

So, I know you guys are all watching HIAC, but I'm watching the World Series, and I'm annoyed because Angel Pagan just hit what is by rights his second home run of this series, but both of them have been hauled in on the track because Detroit has such a big dumb ballpark.

Look at that. Detroit has a little life in them yet.

Strange home run. Wind just carried it right out of there.

So apparently Scutaro got the game winning hit?

Considering the way Scutaro played in the playoffs, should the Giants send Matt Holliday a "thank you" basket?

So, if the World Series happens and no one cares, can I just keep acting as though the Cardinals are still the defending champions?

The best part of this series is how literally everyone contributed. Every starter had at least a quality start, with two shutouts in there. The bullpen was electric, and Romo never looked better in his life. The lineup was good up and down, with someone coming through in the clutch every night, and the defense was stellar. Just nothing went wrong for the Giants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back