**MERGED** The Shield Discussion - Matches, angles, etc (Keep It In Here!!!!)

Who Would YOU Like To See Join The Shield?

• Ryback

• John Cena

• Mark Henry

• Big Show

• Paul Heyman

• Brock Lesnar

• Fandango

• CM Punk

• Jack Swagger

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well... Can't the Shield just implode into itself? Ryback was moved away from the Shield a little and the Shield kicked the Celtic Viper Show's arse at WM, so that's not happening unless they turn and keep Big Show face.

What I've seen is that Ambrose and Rollins are always entering the ring together, but Reigns is usually on his own. While that has probably more to do with their spacing and the fact that he's the biggest, it is somewhat noticable.

On the other hand, I think Rollins has the biggest face-potential. With his moveset and look, he was hugely over as a face when he was NXT-champ. Also, he is arguably the most complete package of the three.

But back on point, I think it's just as likely that they'll collapse onto themselves as getting stopped by another force.

Surely a logical step with this group would be for them to remain undefeated for the next few months as a team, each of them taking a turn every so often at getting in the ring with Taker 1 on 1 and then have them decide to take him out at Survivor Series or better yet Mania, because lets face it, no-one could break the streak alone now and not undermine the work of all those that came before, and really, the same goes for the Shield, they've beaten all the 'all-star' teams they've been put against, so a team beating them clean now would merely undermine the superstars that came before, surely? So remain undefeated and 3 on 1 the undertaker at Mania, or even 2 on 1 with a guy on the outside, either way, they'd win, get the rub as a team, THEN they could begin to unravel as they start arguing over bragging rights etc. This solves next years' 'Mania opponent problem AND how to end the Shield's run

They need the Tag Team belts. It's time to put the belt on a formidable Tag Team and let them run with it for a few months. Give all three of them title belts and use the "Freebird Rule" to defend them, which is when any two of the three members can be used to defend the titles in a certain match.

It'll bring a sort of prestige to the belts and make them mean something. They're the first team in a long time that could do that.

if wwe really wanted to throw a curve ball maybe try something like this:

Have the shield win the straps from hell no at Extreme rules leading to a very good and serious program between them for a couple of PPV's culminating in some gimmick match at Summerslam, maybe a tables match or something.

Have the shield then run a survivor series 5 man elimination match with them and two others (Punk and Lesnar come to mind but that doesn't seem likely) against hell no, shaemus, orton (if still face) and another wronged face. Of course shield go over in this match thus giving them more momentum going forward.

Around rumble time have the shield declare that they will enter the royal rumble, but not as 3 entrants, but rather as 1 unit. (no more explanation given as this further increases the intrigue and idea of team > individual).

This leads to the shield winning the rumble and holding the spot hostage stating that they have no interest in going after the WWE or World title as they don't care for single belts and that the most important accolade is the tag straps as that signifies the unity within the shield. They can say that all they want is justice and to leave their legacy in the WWE. Thus, they, as a single unit are challenging none other than the undertaker to a match at mania.

Taker excepts of course and after the usual buildup, the match is then changed from shield vs Taker to Shield v Brothers of destruction as Kane offers his help to his brother in taking out an old enemy.

This leads to 3 on 2 tag match, ten years on from Rock/Foley v Evolution and WM XX and then, like now, the veterans bow out to the newcomers. The Shield, will, by this point be booked as invincible, as having never lost a match in the wwe and they will be seen as a legitimate threat to the streak. The Streak may end at XXX but at least they can work the angle that taker has never been beaten in singles action at mania and instead of having one star reap the rewards of ending the streak, you'll have 3 men who can all lay claim to pulling this off..

I'm finding more and more that the Shield is not a group of equals.

Ambrose vs. Taker. Ambrose vs. Kane. Ambose vs. Bryan.

While I fully agree that Ambrose is above and away the star of the group, I can't help but wonder why Ambrose gets all the singles matches. Ambrose vs Taker I can understand, since Taker needed a smooth, gentle sort of wrestling match. However, Reigns vs Kane would've been a nice match of strength. Rollins and Bryan would have (IMO) been a better match, because they're both extremely quick and match up well.

So, is the Shield really a group of equals, a cohesive unit? In tag team action, to be sure. But when it comes to individuals, Ambrose is pulling away. Not that I mind it, but it makes me wonder. Perhaps it'll be jealousy that ends the Shield, or perhaps they're focusing on Ambrose to be the first breakout star.

In any event, I'd like to see Reigns and Rollins get some individual action themselves, as opposed to providing distractions and interference for Ambrose.

I'm finding more and more that the Shield is not a group of equals.

Ambrose vs. Taker. Ambrose vs. Kane. Ambose vs. Bryan.

While I fully agree that Ambrose is above and away the star of the group, I can't help but wonder why Ambrose gets all the singles matches. Ambrose vs Taker I can understand, since Taker needed a smooth, gentle sort of wrestling match. However, Reigns vs Kane would've been a nice match of strength. Rollins and Bryan would have (IMO) been a better match, because they're both extremely quick and match up well.

So, is the Shield really a group of equals, a cohesive unit? In tag team action, to be sure. But when it comes to individuals, Ambrose is pulling away. Not that I mind it, but it makes me wonder. Perhaps it'll be jealousy that ends the Shield, or perhaps they're focusing on Ambrose to be the first breakout star.

In any event, I'd like to see Reigns and Rollins get some individual action themselves, as opposed to providing distractions and interference for Ambrose.

I fully expected WWE, at some point, to have one of the Shield members be primarily focused as a singles wrestler while the other two are as a tag team. When it comes to a faction, there's no such thing as true "equals" as someone is ALWAYS going to get elevated just a bit more than other members of the group.

In the Four Horsemen, the "leader" was Ric Flair. Ole & Arn, Blanchard, later Luger & Windham all contributed to the group and were all stars in the group. But in any pack, there can only be one true alpha male when it's all said and done. In this case, Dean Ambrose looks like he's going to be given a singles push to coincide with his push as part of the group as a whole. At least, that's how it appears to me at the moment.

After the six man tag match on Raw this past Monday between The Shield, The Usos & Kofi Kingston; it looked to me as if Dean Ambrose was eyeing the United States Championship as the ref was bringing it to Kofi while he checked on him. Last night on SmackDown!, during the Bryan vs. Ambrose match while Rollins & Reigns were into it with Kane, Kofi Kingston comes out of nowhere and attacks Ambrose. He helps to run off The Shield while standing beside Team Hell No. That has me thinking that Ambrose is going to be the next US champ while Rollins & Reigns carry the tag titles.

As a result I think one of two scenarios will go down:

1. A six man tag match at Extreme Rules with THN & Kofi on one side, The Shield on the other and both the tag & US titles will be defended in the match.

2. Team Hell No will take on Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns for the tag titles while Dean Ambrose challenges Kofi in a singles match for the US title.

Depending on what WWE wants to do, such as if they want to keep the feuds going for a while, THN and Kofi could both retain their titles at Extreme Rules and let the feud culminate at the next ppv. My hypothesis, however, is that Rollins & Reigns will take the tag titles, Ambrose captures the US title, they attack John Cena & help Ryback win the WWE Championship in the Last Man Standing match and then reveal that Ryback is the fourth member of The Shield. I might be completely wrong on all fronts, but this is what I'm thinking will go down.

I am so pissed right now after RAW today. So I am expected to believe and accept that after the Shield ran all over the WWE proving unstoppable as a unit beating the likes of the Undertaker, Kane, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Chris Jericho, even Cena himself but I am suppose to accept that when forced into a 3v1 situation Cena is able to defeat them...BULLSHIT!!!

That is the biggest disgrace of booking I have seen in a long time. Fuck WWE I am so pissed right now.

Glad that Rollins and Reigns are getting more in ring action, they're building up Ambrose but not the other 2, a tag title win could help solidify the entire team

The IWC's knight in shining armor Dean Ambrose is now the US champion!! What are your thoughts and reactions?? How does this help him, the strap,the group?? REACT REACT REACT!!

I hope he can do something with it to make it interesting but winning the shittiest belt in WWE isn't exactly a nice fit with someone that is supposed to be about "justice". I guess that's the heel tactic that in the end. The "justice" was really just a rouse and in the end The Shield are about personal gain.

It's good to hear that Ambrose is getting out and furthering his singles run and maybe he can do something with the title or maybe his brand of justice will be chucking it in the toilet but winning the US Title doesn't mean squat.

In my opinion, it's a big step forward for the struggling mid-card title picture in WWE. As I've said in several posts, WWE has effectively buried both the IC & US titles during WrestleMania season. Frankly, I don't know why.

Part of me does feel bad for Kofi Kingston because the fact of the matter is that Kofi works his ass off. He's one of the most consistent guys the WWE mid-card has had in years. It's just lousy to see him have yet another mid-card title run that will probably lead to nothing bigger.

The Shield have been strongly booked since their inception & debut in WWE. Now that they have gold, I don't see WWE changing that strategy. If they do, then I think that the writers truly do need fired and/or that its time for Vince to step down. All three Shield members are potential long term money players who've beaten and/or taken out every wrestler or assemblage of wrestlers put in front of them.

The Shield members were all successful in their title matches on the Extreme Rules card. Dean Ambrose defeated Kofi Kingston in the second match of the night to win the WWE United States Championship. About 10 minutes or so ago, Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns ended the roughly 9 month reign of Team Hell N and are the new WWE Tag Team Champions.

I'm excited about this because, for both matches, it was the right call. Part of me wanted to see Team Hell No retain here and have another match against The Shield at the next ppv. Either Kane & Bryan are done here or they're done by the next ppv is my guess. As for Kofi Kingston, I feel bad for the guy. He's a hard worker for WWE and is one of the most consistent mid-carders they've had in quite some time. He's just had another mid-card title run that'll probably lead to nothing else bigger.

I just hope that WWE simply doesn't put a stop to The Shield's push now that they've got gold. It's an ass backwards booking strategy but it's one that WWE seems to have employed for their mid-card titles over the past several months.

I'm not sure if I can be completely positive about The Shield holding gold.

I don't knwo if them holding the belts will actually help the midcard. The Shield have been pushed so hard that no one is a threat to them. And if you actually try to push any tag teams or midcarders as a threat, people will just complain about the Shield being "buried".

The U.S. Title has been the new European/TV Title, the low tier belt for the lower midcard to fight over ever since TLC 2011 when Ryder won it. Because Ambrose has been booked so strongly, he has no believable contenders for the title without big names having to step down (and Imo, the bigger names should be no lower than IC level at the lowest). Ambrose himself will be booked strongly, but the belt will be a non-factor because everyone that Ambrose will be working with (imain eventers) is too good for it. When WWE feels like pushing a new midcard face, Ambrose will drop the belt in a "fluke" and forget about it.

Kofi would've had more competition for the title. Ambrose is being pushed really hard, and no one in the actual U.S. division is a threat to him.

Likewise with the tag titles, Reigns and Rollins have no competition apart from pairing random main eventers together, which does nothing to improve the tag division.

IMO, Shield is all WWE has going for them right now, everyone else is in the same recycled feuds or boring, and the people that aren't boring are buried or still in NXT. Why bring up someone from NXT when we can have Show/Orton again or Brock/HHH part 731??

To quote Mel Brooks from Spaceballs...."Boys, it's a beautiful ship. I think you should go down with it."

I'm happy to see the Shield get a clean sweep tonight. I was worried because in the past no matter how much momentum certain wrestlers had it always seemed like the 'E wouldn't pull the trigger. Tonight we got to see all three of them continue their move forward and I personally was pleased.

Also Ambrose is the wrestler I am literally watching the show for at the moment so this was just icing on the cake.

I don't think tonight was much of anything other than kicking the can down the road. In fact, I don't think there's much upside to either title. Let's remember what the US and Tag Team titles are...nothing more than midcard filler and by putting those titles on The Shield, they have made The Shield WWE Superstars...just like the rest of the roster.

Now it's always possible that WWE has awoken from a long slumber and realize that titles should not be used as props, rather they represent a staple of wrestling storytelling and need to be treated as such. Maybe WWE has remembered that their most successful eras were a balance of sport and entertainment...with championships anchoring the sport aspect of the show. It's possible, but I doubt it.

My fear is that The Sheild will be victims of their own success. Bear with me here: The Shield is a gimmick for Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, and Seth Rollins. It's a gimmick built for nameless, faceless guys. Think about it. The matching gear, the working as a single unit (in fact I think they were designed to eventually be revealed as Punk's henchmen). But then the The Shield excelled and made the fans actually care about them. So they were booked with upper tier guys and were successful....as a unit. The problem is that there are only so many combinations of top guys for them to beat, so the time arrived for something outside 6-man matches. Did Ambrose win the WWE title? Did Reigns get the World title? Did Rollins unify the US and IC titles? Nope. Ambrose got just the US title and Reigns and Rollins are tag champs. Not exactly a "rocket up their ass" push.

Part of the reason why WWE couldn't/wouldn't go with the bigger push is the gimmick. Before WWE is going to really get behind any one of these guys as a top guy, that guy or guys will have to be re-packaged in a way that makes them individuals and uniquely identifiable. This isn't a wrestling issue, this is a marketing, sponsor, licensing issue. For WWE to sell these guys as individuals, they have to be individuals. I'm not saying this is right or smart, rather I'm just pointing out the business reality as WWE sees it and would cite WWE history as proof.

But The Shield has been successful and therein lies the victimization. Why would WWE risk that success for greater success, when they have Cena and Punk as cash cows, with Rock, Brock, Taker, HHH as part time cows? The answer I fear is they don't see the need to ever take a risk anymore. Daniel Bryan is in the same spot. He has a character/gimmick (Yes/No) that is successful, but one WWE would struggle to sell to their partners. It's precisely because of his modest success that WWE won't alter him, risk the success, and position him to be a top guy. Here's a gambling analogy of WWE's risk averse nature: They would rather pocket the $10 dollars Bryan makes them from a $1 dollar (midcarder) bet (and in WWE's defense most guys in the midcard make WWE $1.50), rather than let it roll on the chance of making $100 as a main eventer.

So my fear is that this is The Shield becoming midcarders as they will defend the US and Tag titles against all the other usual midcard suspects and WWE will simply wait out The Shield's shelf life...and by the time that happens who knows just how stale or how much stink from The Shield growing cold will stick to each guy, but it's almost certain they will not be as hot as they are right now.

For the record, I hope I'm wrong. Ambrose is awesome and Reigns is dripping with potential and The Shield gimmick is one of maybe 3 things that I've found remotely entertaining in WWE over the past year. I hope this is a stepping stone for Ambrose to the WWE title and Reigns and Rollins are the renewal of the tag team division...or at least the dawn of superteams trying to unseat them (Rated RKO, JeriShow, etc).

But I looked at tonight as WWE needing something for The Shield to do, so they put meaningless gold on them, and now they'll be on Raw/Smackdown facing the Santinos and Tensai/Clays every week, then before long coming through the crowd will just be another intro and The Shield will be just 3 young guys lost in the shuffle. If we're lucky in 3-4 years, one, two, or all three will finally have worked their way to the top...after two more gimmick changes. I hate being so pessimistic, but what has WWE done in the last decade to make me anything else.

The Shield winning gold tonight had me giggling like a well-fed and freshly changed baby. Made me think the WWE did something very good that really needed done. Furthered a storyline that has continuously been worth watching. Lesnar winning was the right call too.

With every team in professional wrestling, one way or another, it will have to at some point, come to an end. The biggest faction in the WWE at this point is The Shield and if you watched last night at Extreme Rules, Ambrose won the US title and The Shield won the Tag Team titles. Now im thinking "Will these titles be the factor that ends The Shield?" I will say, perhaps. Here how I see The Shield disbanding:

Ambrose thinks he is more superier than Rollins and Reigns because he is the US champ, he begins to boss them 2 around and eventually has enough of them so after a tag match, he stares them down but out of nowhere, Reigns attacks Rollins, thus turning Rollins face and Reigns becomes Ambrose's bodyguard for a while.

or..
The same way as my first choice but they split after first Ambrose losing the US title and then the tag team belts.

Whats your idea?

Really why rain on the trio's parade? They just had their most glorious night. Lets let them be and enjoy their success. Maybe hold off the 'omg hw will it end'. Lets talk about how well they have been portrayed, pat the WWE for it and whisper into our pillows at night...... 'I believe'.

Anyway to answer your question: Some match involving Cena with a 'if Shield loses they disband' stip. Cena pins Ambrose coz he is the star that has the marks titillated.

Boom.

Who says it has to end? LOD never disbanded (until Hawk died.) I would prefer to see this group stick together for AT LEAST another year and continue their domination. An occasional loss wouldn't hurt them at that point.

Eventually, if they break up, Rollins and Reigns will turn on Ambrose which will allow Dean to get his singles career going while the others continue dominating the tag teams.

I think it will be when they lose the Tag Team Titles. Reigns and Ambrose will turn on Rollins after their return match against the team that beat them or have Rollins fight for his spot in group with Ambrose and Reigns purposing causing Rollins the match. I believe this is a long way away from happening though. Rollins will eventually be ousted and become face. Perhaps being replaced by someone else from NXT. In FCW and NXT, Rollins was decently over with the crowd as a face, so you have to believe that's where he is going at some point. I'd have The Shield hold onto the Tag Titles until at the very earliest Survivor Series, and have them lose it in a gimmick elimination match that sees The Shield lose all their titles including Dean's U.S. Title. The stipulation would be that which ever team is eliminated first gets the titles. Have number one contenders for each title, and then combine the matches.

Anyway, Rollins is made out to be the weakest link and is blamed for costing his partners the titles. Feud ensues as Rollins finds a partner to team with him against his former group members. Cue John Cena or another big name star coming to the rescue.

It's hard to say. It's possible that they might never split up, though the chance of that happening is extremely remote. WWE has a good thing going with The Shield and, at this point in time, I'd be surprised if there were even any thoughts going around the creative department as to how they should be split up. WWE has taken its time with The Shield and, thus far, the results of that patience coupled with good & consistent booking have paid off. People are excited about The Shield and I just don't see them breaking up anytime soon. Hell, I eventually see them adding at least one more member to the group sometime before the year is out. I might be wrong and they might just stick with three. If another member is added, it could be fine as long as WWE doesn't go overboard with it.

But as to how they'd split up, probably the simplest way would be one of the members starts to put himself above the rest of the group with success going to his head. If I had to guess, that'd probably apply to Dean Ambrose. Ambrose is sort of unofficially thought of as the "leader" by most people I believe, as he's the singles guy at this point, so I could see Ambrose's ego start to eventually get the best of him and he begins to sacrifice the good of the group for himself. They could play it up to where Ambrose is becoming overbearing and putting himself above their "cause" and all that while not really even being aware that he's doing it. Rollins & Reigns get tired of it and eventually chuck him out.

Another possibility is the group decides to eliminate the "weak link" from the group. If one of them starts to lose matches or somehow fails to help the group hold its own against attacking forces, tension could begin to build in which something goes down that becomes the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back. The straw could be one of them losing a match in which they cost the unit a championship, so that guy is taken out and beaten down perhaps. He could possibly be "replaced" by a new recruit while he himself turns babyface. In that particular scenario, I think that it'd be either Rollins or Reigns who winds up getting booted out as I simply don't see Dean Ambrose turning face anytime soon.

I feel like the Shield are doomed to the same fate that The Miz, Wade Barrett, and to a lesser extent Cody Rhodes are. It's not their time to be world champions yet, but since they've already been "established" through programs with main event talent, they can't actually BE midcarders and are instead stuck lingering in this weird limbo where they're above the rest of the midcard/tag division and any time the wrestle any of the real midcarders/tag teams, they'll just squash them because they're "established".

But as to how they'd split up, probably the simplest way would be one of the members starts to put himself above the rest of the group with success going to his head.

One way that could happen would be if one of them wins the world championship. I think it unlikely that will happen, but if it did, there would surely be separation from the other two guys who find themselves in "supporting" roles to sacrifice themselves to keep the champ in position...... and eventually grow tired of it.

An example of this is the current situation of Dolph Ziggler. Sure, he was the unquestioned leader of his trio from it's inception, but now that he's the champion, look at what's going on between Dolph and Big E. Langston ......you can plainly see how that's going to wind up, right?

One of the best aspects about The Shield is, to date, individual egos haven't taken over.....which could also be said about the early days of Nexus. When these guys function as a team, they can move mountains, as The Shield is doing right now.

But, especially as it pertains to heel teams, egos will emerge, surer than shootin'. ....and when they do, you'll see the group explode to pieces.

The time for all that is not yet. No one in WWE is riding higher than The Shield right now. They'll keep it going for quite awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back