**MERGED** Jack Swagger, Zeb Coulter & Swagger's Arrest (Keep it all here!!)

I'll admit, I was disappointed when I read that Swagger had been arrested, but I don't think much will come of it. WWE seems to be really invested in this gimmick -- they've shot Dutch and Swagger to the top of the card -- and I'm sure they're loving all the controversy that is stemming from it. I mean, they don't want to make it seem like Swagger's okay to go out and smoke weed and get all the DUIs he wants, but I wouldn't be surprised if they leveled a hefty fine against him and let it end there. Not to mention that as far as I'm aware, this is Jack Swagger's first disciplinary problem. This is the first time they've so much as heard a peep from him outside of the ring. People keep assuming he'll get canned or jobbed out, but I can't see WWE taking that stance with a first time offender.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash if Jack Swagger fought for -- or even won -- the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania.

I'll admit, I was disappointed when I read that Swagger had been arrested, but I don't think much will come of it. WWE seems to be really invested in this gimmick -- they've shot Dutch and Swagger to the top of the card -- and I'm sure they're loving all the controversy that is stemming from it. I mean, they don't want to make it seem like Swagger's okay to go out and smoke weed and get all the DUIs he wants, but I wouldn't be surprised if they leveled a hefty fine against him and let it end there. Not to mention that as far as I'm aware, this is Jack Swagger's first disciplinary problem. This is the first time they've so much as heard a peep from him outside of the ring. People keep assuming he'll get canned or jobbed out, but I can't see WWE taking that stance with a first time offender.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash if Jack Swagger fought for -- or even won -- the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania.

This was my initial reaction until someone reminded me of the RVD situation. WWE can do whatever they want, though, so it's not like that case set the precedent for all future cases. Selfishly, I want the angle to continue, but until I see otherwise, I've got to believe that Swags won't be in that match.

EDIT:

Also, this is neat:

STAMFORD, Conn., February 22, 2013 – WWE has extended an invitation to talk show host and political commentator, Glenn Beck to appear live this Monday on Raw, in response to a segment that aired on TheBlaze TV yesterday. In the segment, Beck references WWE as "stupid wrestling people," when criticizing a recent WWE storyline involving WWE characters Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger and Zeb Colter. WWE is giving Beck the opportunity to address our 14 million weekly viewers and our global fan base, as he believes we are offending our "conservative" fans with this storyline.
Similar to other television shows and feature films, WWE is in the entertainment business, creating fictional characters that serve as protagonists or antagonists. To create compelling and relevant content for our audience, it is important to incorporate current events into our storylines. WWE is creating a rivalry centered on a topical subject that has varying points of view. This storyline was developed to build the Mexican American character Del Rio into a hero given WWE's large Latino base, which represents 20 percent of our audience.

I doubt that Beck will show, but if he does then it would be a real positive sign for Swagger and the 'Mania match as presently constituted.

There's even further evidence that it looks like WWE is going forward with the angle. Aside from WWE putting more Coulter/Swagger videos up at youtube.com, WWE has actually invited well known conservative commentator Glenn Beck to Raw. Beck recently ripped into WWE for the angle, like many well known conservatives have over the past few weeks. Of course, there's virtually no chance that Beck will accept the invitation. All these other aspects combined with the fact that WWE hasn't issued some sort of statement apologizing if they've offended anyone does indicate that WWE is moving forward.

Swagger screwed up, no question about that and I do think some sort of sanction is warranted. If things are indeed going forward with Swagger, I'm pleased with it though. It's the most legitimately controversial angle that's happened in pro wrestling in a long time and, thus far, it's been handled & pulled off extremely well.

I think this new gimmick is great for swagger. Just watching smackdown tonight and hearing the entire arena boo him is the greatest feeling ever. I'm one of those people that just marks out for a great pop or great heat and swagger and colter have amazing heat right now. Being repackaged and sided with Zen improves his character tremendously. His new entrance music is what gives me the big heel feeling the most. It's just a badass like I'm the top guy gonna kick someones ass type feeling. Kinda like drew mcintyres music in 2010, great entrance for a heel.

i would also kinda sad when i heard of Jack Swagger getting arrested. i may not like the current character of Jack Swagger but i would not be surprised if Jack Swagger not only make it to Wrestlemania but actually won the World Heavyweight Title.

I hate to say this but I believe that Swagger's recent arrest and upcoming trial are (in part) the best thing ever to happen to him. First he comes back with a retooled character, then changes his look, then changes his theme song, adds a more eloquent manager, has a strong showing at a PPV where he wins the opportunity for a title match at 'mania, gets heavy exposure after his storyline is blasted by Glenn Beck, gets arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for going 10mph over the speed limit while being under the influence of marijuana, and then this:

trendnow132423.jpg

He was the top searched new item on Yahoo.com yesterday. That would be big for anyone in the WWE, and that includes The Rock. You might say that this is the type of press that WWE wants to seriously avoid and I'd normally agree. I just can't help but think that a first time legal offense against someone who is supposed to be portraying an antagonistic character, is not all that bad. Especially when you consider that it's by definition, a petty crime. I see people drive over the speed limit everyday. Usually more than 10mph. I'm sure most of the adult WWE audience does as well. And even though I don't smoke weed, I personally don't consider it to be worse than cigarettes. This crime does enough damage to make Swagger/Colter look like hypocrites for their "Real American" claims in a medium where hypocrisy is a great attribute for heels to have. Plus all the added press to the storyline and Swagger's arrest, give his current push a lot of attention this Monday Night. If they're smart, they'd capitalize on the attention by having him appear first on the show at 8:00 to address this, the Beck situation, and Wrestlemania. And maybe an actual match at 9:00.

This seems to fall into the category of, "There's no such thing as bad press".

A DUI or weed is perhaps a slap on the wrist offence for someone in the main-event of WM but both just seems a little too much to keep him in a story-line. It does look like they will keep with him but what will happen at Mania when Swagger comes out. I'm sure the crowd at Mania will create a chant or a least give on. They can't cover it up.

He should be suspended till after Mania. He can get a push afterwards. Jack Swagger doesn't deserve to be in a World Title match at Wresltmania.

With Ziggler still in the picture somewhat, they have the ability to drop the Swagger angle at any time. They could even make Swagger the shortest reigning World Champion in history by having Ziggler cash in and win immediately.

After reading the rumor that Swagger was slated to win the championship from Alberto Del Rio at WM, I again found myself wondering why WWE has this seeming love affair with Jack Swagger. Didn't management regard giving Jack the world title at the beginning of his pro career a mistake when they did it the first time? Now they were going to do it again? What is it Vince McMahon thinks this guy has got?

With his goofy facial expressions and awkward movements, he's anything but a menacing presence in the ring. It's good they got someone to take his spoken lines, but Jack still falls far short as a main event performer, imo.

I think his technical proficiency would play better as a good guy; a heel has to have attained the position of a Kurt Angle before he can successfully incorporate technical moves in his repertoire.

As to the DUI, I see the same thing as always. If the performer is vitally important to the company, they find a way to work around his transgressions. If he's a undercard wrestler, management has no trouble making an example of him and supplying him with a sandwich and a road map.

After winning the EC match just a few weeks after returning, I would say Jack Swagger qualifies as the former...... and his punishment will amount to nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...colter-jack-swagger-address-glenn-beck-video/

I watched this clip a few minutes ago, a longer one can be found on TMZ.com and I thought it was great listening to Zeb Coulter explain the differences between real life & entertainment to Glenn Beck as if he was a mentally handicapped 5 year old. Generally speaking, and surprisingly, WWE has taken the high road in this little feud with Glenn Beck. You'd figure that WWE would be the ones to behave like classless clowns, which would have put them on equal footing with Beck.

Pretty much in the title. I'm NOT SAY CHANGE HIM INTO A FACE! (But if you watch his take on Glenn Beck on Youtube, WWE may have inadvertently started the cogs for the turn, depending on what they do on raw that is).

The question is, without changing Zeb's current "pro America, super right-wing" outlook, could he be a face Manager to all crowds, not just right wingers. If you haven't seen it already, I urger you to look at the following link to see where I got the thought: http://youtu.be/3LCNMTLiBNE .

The video was very "Face-ical". In my opinion, it could work. Albeit with a lot of work.

He admitted to breaking character in that promo in-order to explain both he and Jack Swagger's characters to those unfamiliar with wrestling and its nature, so the video itself as an example is invalid. Could he work as a face? Sure, it's Dutch Mantel. This guy is renowned as one of the best backstage personalities there is, a former booker, producer, writer, road agent; he knows it all and could probably play any type of character in any role he or the company desired.

If they go through with Swagger at Mania, I have a vauge memory that in the "Wellness Policy" they have a clause to help WWE cover their ass. I remember something about how they can take an indertermined amount of time to write you off tv then suspend you for 30 Days.. obviously they normally do an injury angle at the next tv if they are booked in a match at a PPV. But this is an advertised Title match at Wrestlemania, and maybe they do not was to make it obvious they needed to change plans. Remeber in the PG era, a lot of the kids more than likely do not visit TMZ or places like that

Anyway, does that loop-hole ring a bell with anyone?

Because of how much that youtube response features Zeb Colter breaking kayfabe in mentioning that the WWE is fictional storytelling, I highly doubt that they will feature it in full on any of their shows. (RAW, Smackdown, etc.) So anyone who thinks that this might spark a face turn for Swagger, just remember that. They'll probably make mention of the video and recommend that people view it but that's about as far as they'll go. Breaking the fourth wall can pretty much ruin any storyline. Thus CM Punk's kayfabe-breaking, anti-establishment, character coming to a very early end in 2011 or Cena/Rock's 2011-2012 feud.

Swagger will be fine as long as there is a face character who can sort of equal Zeb Colter on the mic. I know the company has already openly admittedly to using this storyline to push ADR but he doesn't seem to be the guy who they need on the mic. And unless Ricardo Rodriguez can deliver, ADR is going to have to step it up or they'll have to find someone else to become Swagger's down-the-road foil.

One of the hottest topics in quite some time over the past few weeks has been the Zeb Coulter/Jack Swagger storyline. Not only does it draw interest because it is the first controversial angle WWE has done in quite some time but it always gives me hope for the future. Growing up in the 80's I remember all the legendary managers like Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Harley Race, Paul E Dangerously, and even Slick. For quite some time many many people including myself has been begging to bring back old school type managers. At one time you could say Bobby Heenan was the most over heel in the company. Old school managers served a real purpose in getting over talent just like Jack Swagger. Not everyone that steps into the ring is going to be a 3 tool (Look, In Ring, and Mic work) performer. You are lucky to have 1 of those attributes. But some performers like Jack Swagger have two of those key tools, but because of his lisp would never be believable on the mic.

Now enter Zeb Coulter. With Zeb on the mic drawing heat, Jack Swagger could be fast tracked to the top of of the food chain. So many other wrestlers could benefit from an actual manager. Not a pretty face walking to the ring with them (that is nice too AJ) or a bodyguard, but an actual manager. Monsters could stay monsters because they would not be forced to speak. It adds to the mystique of the performer.

Dutch Mantell is an awesome performer but there are others out there who can perform as great managers. James Mitchell always comes to mind. He was fantastic as a devilish heel manager. Even Paul Heyman returning to a managerial role with Punk and Brock has been fantastic.

What do you all think?

I think Swagger should focus on Antonio Cesaro but as a face. This thing with del rio doesnt really interest me id rather see swagger claim that cesaro is taking advantage of America rather than capitalizing on the oppurtunities like Cesaro says he is doing. I dont to know to me Cesaro vs Swagger makes more since then Del Rio vs Swagger because i dont disagree with Swagger and Colter but arent i suppose to be behind Alberto?

I thought last night's promo with ADR and Zeb Coulter/Swagger was awkward. First of all, Swagger looked like a complete moron standing there with his arms crossed and then saying "We the people" at the end like a zombie. Coulter was good but then I felt like ADR's response was unconfident like he wasn't as mad as he should have been after what Coulter said.

Love the angle but for the first time since they started this angle, I thought it felt awkward.

I thought last night's promo with ADR and Zeb Coulter/Swagger was awkward. First of all, Swagger looked like a complete moron standing there with his arms crossed and then saying "We the people" at the end like a zombie. Coulter was good but then I felt like ADR's response was unconfident like he wasn't as mad as he should have been after what Coulter said.

Love the angle but for the first time since they started this angle, I thought it felt awkward.

I can understand what you're saying. For me, the only real awkwardness came when Zeb did toss aside some of the "politically correct" rhetoric and all the immigrants "criminals". It felt a little awkward for me there as well but the awkwardness comes, for me, mostly from the controversial subject matter. Part of that is that I keep expecting WWE to go over the line at some point and it could happen at anytime.

As for Swagger, he's doing he's supposed to. Promos haven't been Swagger's strongest suit, that's why Coulter's there. Personally, I thought it was a solid start for their feud. They didn't give too much away on one night, which suits me as it's still a little while to WrestleMania. I thought Del Rio's response was solid and I think it could possibly improve in the weeks to come as they move this feud along.

I can understand what you're saying. For me, the only real awkwardness came when Zeb did toss aside some of the "politically correct" rhetoric and all the immigrants "criminals". It felt a little awkward for me there as well but the awkwardness comes, for me, mostly from the controversial subject matter. Part of that is that I keep expecting WWE to go over the line at some point and it could happen at anytime.

As for Swagger, he's doing he's supposed to. Promos haven't been Swagger's strongest suit, that's why Coulter's there. Personally, I thought it was a solid start for their feud. They didn't give too much away on one night, which suits me as it's still a little while to WrestleMania. I thought Del Rio's response was solid and I think it could possibly improve in the weeks to come as they move this feud along.

Coulter is doing a great job. He is a great character and I hope WWE keeps him beyond WM (with or without Swagger). I just thought that Swagger should have at least said a little more. I understand he can't talk but come on, at least say something to your opponent. I would have liked him to let Coulter talk about their beliefs and their "WE THE PEOPLE" movement but then take the mic and talk about how he's going to beat ADR at Wrestlemania and and bring respect and prestige back to the title, a title which represents hard-work just like hardworking Americans... or something along those lines.

Instead he just stood there with his arms crossed and then left the ring.

Also, they should have written it so that ADR beat up Swagger or at least there was a physical confrontation. ADR's response was good(although it felt like it was totally scripted; should have at least made it seem more real) but he didn't seem genuinely mad. I know it's early in the feud and while I really love this angle, I think they can all do better than that.

Coulter is doing a great job. He is a great character and I hope WWE keeps him beyond WM (with or without Swagger). I just thought that Swagger should have at least said a little more. I understand he can't talk but come on, at least say something to your opponent. I would have liked him to let Coulter talk about their beliefs and their "WE THE PEOPLE" movement but then take the mic and talk about how he's going to beat ADR at Wrestlemania and and bring respect and prestige back to the title, a title which represents hard-work just like hardworking Americans... or something along those lines.

Also, they should have written it so that ADR beat up Swagger or at least there was a physical confrontation. ADR's response was good(although it felt like it was totally scripted; should have at least made it seem more real) but he didn't seem genuinely mad. I know it's early in the feud and while I really love this angle, I think they can all do better than that.

Why does every good guy have to get mad straight away? Coulter took time to insult and berate illegal immigrants and del Rio tried to reason with the man behind Coulter; Swagger. He was stating that America is great because anyone can come to the country, its a land off opportunity unlike his own country of Mexico which is restrictive. He was empathizing with the belief, but it doesn't mean he things the belief is right.

Right now, Del Rio doesn't need to get mad. He doesn't need to jump swagger. This feud is in very very early days, its barely a week and a half in and already youre complaining that its awkward. Its designed to be that way. Its an awkward storyline where you know one slight thing could lead down a racist route. Its on a thin line and thats what makes it great...wwe aren't playing it safe like normal.

I love this storyline. Del Rio will get mad soon. Remember what he just came off. He literally came off the most physical feud of his time in WWE. This needs to be calm for a few weeks then desintegrate later into madness. Also; if Del Rio attacked...who would remember it considering brock/hhh earlier? This needs to be a talking feud to a degree. Let it play out, let it be awkward. Swagger SHOULD be just stood there, listen to cole and king. He's meant to be almost brain washed. Swagger saying stuff makes little sense. He needs to be the muscle and let dirty Dutch be the hustle.

I understand what you are saying but I think they are trying to put across that Swagger has been sort of 'brainwashed' by Coulter' so a character who is under the control of someone else is going to be a bit zombiefied lol.

I understand what you are saying but I think they are trying to put across that Swagger has been sort of 'brainwashed' by Coulter' so a character who is under the control of someone else is going to be a bit zombiefied lol.

If that's the case then they're leaving the door open for a Swagger face turn at some point as he can say he was brainwashed.

Chris Cash on th WZ mainpage had a good article about this. He said WWE is making Coulter into the star and not Swagger, and I 100% agree with him on that. Coulter is doing a pheonominal job but is he really putting Swagger over? If Coulter were to leave next week, Swagger wouldn't be over, he'd be a nobody. Look at Heyman, look at Vickie. They've helped others get over.

I love Coulter and this whole angle but I really think Swagger needs more involvement other than just standing there, otherwise Coulter will be the star but not Swagger. Swagger will be nothing more than the muscle to back up what Coulter is saying.

I'm curious what direction they go with this after WM? If Swagger isn't severely punished for the weed incident, then I wonder if they'll move on from ADR and feud with someone else, also possibly adding another member to the "We the people" movement OR if Coulter will be gone after WM and Swagger will be on his own.

Either way, this is a great angle but I really hope Coulter is able to get Swagger over, along with himself.

I wonder how far WWE is willing to take this angle. I'm assuming Ziggler is going to win the belt soon and his "enforcer" is black. Would WWE go there?

Oh boy, what happened now?

Alright, Jack got wild with some wacky tabacky and ran afoul of the local constabulary. I'm shocked that anyone would be shocked by this, the dude's middle name most certainly isn't "Class".

I'm assuming that this isn't a death knell for Jack's WM potential.

I think his punishment should be limited to losing to Alberto Del Rio, if he's punished at all.

Honestly, every hard-nosed right-winger I know smokes weed. More-so since their supposed anti-christ incarnate president took power just to be dicks.

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back