Matt Hardy, the big one?

Miko

WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER!?
Apologies if this thread exists somewhere else.

I mean the real big one, not the not big one. Is the WWE or the World Heavyweight Title in Matt Hardy's future?

Personally I think there is every chance that Matt Hardy could win one of the big 2 before he retires from the business, the guy is way over, seems to have the dedication and apart from a certain incident involving Edge and Lita can keep his nose clean (in my opinion he was just a sore loser).

Some people say that Matt's only popular because of who his brother is and I gotta disagree, while Jeff's presence helps Matt all the time that Jeff spent being fired Matt was doing just fine by himself, in fact Matt's fued with Edge helped kick start Jeff's return because Edge was the first person that Jeff went after, in his brother's name no less.

Then of course you got all the "we want Matt chants", take Survivor Series, you've got HHH, Mysterio, Kane and Jeff Hardy, four of the most over guy's in WWE at that time but once the match got underway the "we want Matt" chant's all started up.

So what do you think, does Matt have what it takes or has he really been living off of his brother's fame?

Matt was always the worker of The Hardy team. Jeff always got the plaudits, but Matt held the team together.

If there was ever a time to really push Matt Hardy as a real world title contender, it was in 2005. He will never be hotter. But the good thing for Matt is that he's remained over since, even with him being one of the dullest wrestlers of all time.

There's no real reason not to at least try him. He's over, he frequently proves that he's good at his job, and with two world titles it doesn't matter as much if he's a total failure. WWE has recovered from having champions with less talent than Hardy.

The opportune time would be around Summer Slam, after all he's not going to sell a Mania main event, and have a huge star as the other brands champion.

i say yes he is not as talented parsay but could easily have what it takes to win major belt. he needs to move back to smackdown where they need faces right now

I think there is a chance of Matt Hardy getting the "big one" he is more talented then his brother and has more charisma, mic skills and is over with the fans. He is also extremely dedicated to the wrestling business, he did'nt just walk in the WWE one day and ask to win a title. he had to fight and scrap to get where he is now.

Many people say Matt is an understudy to Jeff which i totally disagree on. Matt is the better worker, better wrestler, has better mic skills and is more dedicated then his drug taking brother. Its mainly Jeff hardy fans who are to ignorant to see that doing a few jumps and hitting people with a Swanton Bomb is going to get you anywhere and does'nt make Jeff the better Brother or wrestler out the two.

of course Matt has what it takes, you could say if it was'nt for him Jeff would'nt even be in the wrestling business right now or the WWE. Mat has dedicated his life to wrestling and even in the early days made certain that his dream to become WWE champion would'nt be a distant one. So for me Matt Has what it takes, he is a good wrestler and can hold any major title easily.

Well like Jake said he was at his best in 2005 and will never be there again. Hardy has worked his ass off his whole career, but if just not exciting. If he became WWE champ or WHC sure people would be happy but not long after he won, they would get bored. I like Matt as the ECW champ and maybe as a mid carder on the main shows. I think that there is a chance that he can become a real champ, but I think it would be boring, and uneventful.

Matt Hardy is a hard worker, and I could see maybe one day he could get one of the "big" belt. The only bad thing about Hardy is that I feel like he is bland and boring at times. He doesn't have the flash and stuff like Jeff nor does he have the amount of fan support. He has been an alright ECW champion, and has been able to make the belt seem someone believeable(for a midcard title). But yeah I don't see why Matt could never get the title someday when the WWE is crapping already but I would want Jeff to get the belt before Matt. I just don't know if WWE will give Matt a chance since he'll never be as hot as he was in the Edge feud but with the right storyline Matt maybe could go to the top.

I don't think so. Vince normally doesn't put the title on people who don't have 'the look'. Matt Hardy has a very strange look. He's short, small, chubby, and ugly. That's not the look of a champion. And he has terrible pants and is in dire need of a haircut. There have been exceptions, (CM Punk) but I don't think Matt will be one.

Besides that, he is just boring. I can't watch a Matt Hardy match all the way through. Nothing about him appeals to me. I know that not everyone thinks that way, but..

So, I just don't see it happening.

I don't see Matt winning a major title, only because it would be hard to sell him beating some of the major heels in WWE.

However, I'd like to see him contend for the IC belt, and promos between him and Santino would definitely be entertaining. The US belt may have a been there-done that feel to it if he goes for it, so I'd stick with the ECW belt and the IC belt.

It's a shame, because he definitely has more wrestling ability than Jeff, and is a better worker, but because Jeff is the high-flyer with cool hair, he'll get the bigger push.

I'm also not totally against them re-uniting to fix the tag division...

Sadly i don't see it in his future. He is over with the crowd is a hard worker and never really had any problems in the company except the whole lita thing. So he definitely deserves a shot at it. But I just don't see Vinny Mac letting him have run with it. Probably cause of his look more then anything. But you never know maybe Vince is using his ECW Title reign as a test to see how he would do with a huge title? Maybe but probably not.

Sucks though since i have always seen him the better overall wrestler of the hardy duo. I know he can use a mic better then Jeff. Obviously he is a harder worker then Jeff. And has remained clean. Yet sadly Jeff will probably have more success then him if he stays clean. Funny apparently fucking up gets you more of a push then working hard consistently.

Matt is a good wrestler, there is no doubt about that, but I can't see him ever going over for the big one. No matter how much people harp on Jeff about having no talent or having drug issues or whatever, the man is exciting to watch...Matt just isn't. It's not that he is overly boring in the ring either, but he isn't anything I get excited to see.

As others have stated, Matt was at his hottest point during the "Love Triangle" feud.

The only way I see Matt ever even getting a shot at the big one is if/when Jeff gets the belt, they start a potential feud between the brothers. But still, they have built Jeff up as a very believable main eventer with wins over formidable opponents. Even if some of the finishes to those wins are questionable, seeing Jeff standing strong against guys like Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, HHH, The Undertaker, etc. has done great things for his career (the only questionable wins in my opinion are probably the roll up's against HHH, but we all know the reasoning behind those type of wins against that man). The WWE hasn't built Matt up to be as formidable and believable as his brother.

Basically, Matt will never get the big one because his character development, not his natural ability or drive. At the end of the day, you're only as good, exciting, and believable as a wrestler as creative allows you to be. Sorry, Matt.

Matt Hardy is forever going to be known as the underdog and as we've seen from countless, movies, books, and fights with dogs with a furry leather bone, is that every dog has his day. That means that Matt Hardy could win one of the Big Two titles, it's happened before to bigger underdogs and less talented people before, but it also might not. Matt Hardy has always been the more talented worker/performer than his brother Jeff, who mostly gets his popularity from being the big risk taker and the favourite of the screaming girl fan base they had as The Hardy Boyz.

The trouble with Matt is, despite staying as massively over as he is, he just doesn't have the look, nor the excitement and skills, to be a great champion like Cena or HHH. Matt is a hard worker and has a clean background with the company and will make a great living in the WWE working his butt off in the middle upper card and giving the fans their underdog to cheer for. He'll work with some big main eventers and maybe get some shots... maybe even win one, maybe not. But it's not all that bad of a living if he doesn't, it's a career that I'm sure Matt will be proud of and will have little regrets about. I know I'd love to be doing what he does.

I don't think so. Vince normally doesn't put the title on people who don't have 'the look'.

He has done.

Matt Hardy has a very strange look.

No, he looks normal.

He's short,

Taller than Benoit, Angle, HBK & Jericho.

Not really.

matt-hardy-interview-20051031033948.jpg

Not really.

and ugly.

Matter of opinion, ask Lita & Ashley.

That's not the look of a champion.

What is the look of a champion? Long hair, short hair, tights, trunks, mask, face paint, tassles?

And he has terrible pants

What he really needs is black trunks, like, EVERYBODY.

and is in dire need of a haircut.

Long hair in this age matches him look different.

There have been exceptions, (CM Punk) but I don't think Matt will be one.

If they'll give Punk a go then they may as well give Hardy a shot. Hardy can get good matches out of almost everybody, Punk hasn't had decent matches with hardly anybody in WWE.

Besides that, he is just boring.

Tell that to the thousands who react when his music hits.

I don't see Matt winning a major title, only because it would be hard to sell him beating some of the major heels in WWE.

Like Mark Henry & Kane? Who says his world title run needs to be an important one?

However, I'd like to see him contend for the IC belt, and promos between him and Santino would definitely be entertaining.

Not relevant, Santino is entertaining with everybody.

The US belt may have a been there-done that feel to it if he goes for it, so I'd stick with the ECW belt and the IC belt.

The EUS Title is worth more than those belts. They give away IC title reigns weekly, and the ECW title is the least watched of the three brands.

I'm also not totally against them re-uniting to fix the tag division...

Like in 2007 when they made tag wrestling great again?

But you never know maybe Vince is using his ECW Title reign as a test to see how he would do with a huge title? Maybe but probably not.

But maybe so.

Sucks though since i have always seen him the better overall wrestler of the hardy duo.

Overall, yes.

I know he can use a mic better then Jeff.

Debatable, Jeff has really stepped up as of late. But Matt Hardy Version 1 blows Jeff away.

Obviously he is a harder worker then Jeff. And has remained clean. Yet sadly Jeff will probably have more success then him if he stays clean. Funny apparently fucking up gets you more of a push then working hard consistently.

That's where Matt has gone wrong. He backed himself into a corner by being a good worker, capable of having quality matches with almost anyone. Like Val Venis for example.

I don't see Matt Hardy getting the big one. Sure, he might get a couple of shots at it, and if for some reason he does get the belt, I think he will only be a transitional champion. He doesn't seem like the type of person that would be the top person on Raw, or Smackdown. I like Matt Hardy, I really do, but I don't think he would work as a proper world champion.

He's past his prime, but he's still a good worker. Hopefully the ECW championship is a test run to see how he goes, and if he goes well, maybe he'll get a shot. He doesn't really seem like a proper main eventer though. He doesn't really have the look of a world champion, and maybe this is dragging him down a little bit. But I hope Vince just gives him a chance to see how he goes with it, and if it doesn't work out you can easily switch the title to someone else.

Like Mark Henry & Kane? Who says his world title run needs to be an important one?

It's easy to sell someone beating Mark Henry...no one likes him...

And, he's another guy that spent YEARS in the WWE cellar before winning anything that mattered...

It's easy to sell someone beating Mark Henry...no one likes him...

And, he's another guy that spent YEARS in the WWE cellar before winning anything that mattered...

Unimportant. Henry feuded with Undertaker & Batista but two years ago. If Matt Hardy was to win a world title then they could have him feud with somebody like Henry.

Punk looked totally out of his league when he faced Batista at The Bash, as would Matt Hardy. That's why the JBL feud worked better for him. He's been in a feud with Cena, but he's not been a serious challenge to the title since he returned a year ago.

You give Matt an opponent that's an upper mid carder, and he'll work as champion for a while. Kane, Henry, Rey Mysterio, Punk, Jericho. A wrestler who's not a permanent main eventer. If that works and fans embrace him then maybe he can step up and try a feud with a big star like Cena, Triple H or The Undertaker.

With their being the WHC & WWE Championship Hardy having a run is no big deal. Both champions share PPV's. It's not like he needs to be near a PPV main event. So long as there's a big star as the opposite brands champion then it's worth a shot.

If he fails then WWE can do what they did with Punk, if he doesn't then WWE have somebody they can use.

I don't see Matt Hardy getting the big one. Sure, he might get a couple of shots at it, and if for some reason he does get the belt, I think he will only be a transitional champion.

Matt is an excellent title chaser, his fued with MVP was better than the MVP-Benoit fued despite the lack of wrestling. So it's gotta be worth to have him chase it at least. Also what's with the transitional hate.

Transitional title reigns > no title reigns.

He doesn't seem like the type of person that would be the top person on Raw, or Smackdown. I like Matt Hardy, I really do, but I don't think he would work as a proper world champion.

CM Punk was the top guy on the brand, the thing is unlike Punk Matt has exceeded all expectations of him. He's made an excellent ECW champion and has only really had Mark Henry to work with, not to take away from Henry who has become very good in his own right.

He's past his prime, but he's still a good worker.

A good worker yes, past his prime no. Matt's underrated by a lot of people, he can get a good match out of anyone and wrestle's a really good old school baby-face style of match. The thing is though you could turn him heel and he can wrestle and extremely good heel style as well.

Hopefully the ECW championship is a test run to see how he goes, and if he goes well, maybe he'll get a shot.

Hopefully, me and the thousands of Matt Hardy fans would like to see it.

He doesn't really seem like a proper main eventer though. He doesn't really have the look of a world champion

Once again I refer you to CM Punk, I also refer you to the person that took the belt away from Punk, a kinda flabby Chris Jericho.

and maybe this is dragging him down a little bit. But I hope Vince just gives him a chance to see how he goes with it, and if it doesn't work out you can easily switch the title to someone else.

I agree and this is why it's totally worth a go, as Jake said put the other World Title on an established star and let Matt have a run. If he doesnt do a better job than Punk then I'll eat my hat. If I had one.

Matt is an excellent title chaser, his fued with MVP was better than the MVP-Benoit fued despite the lack of wrestling. So it's gotta be worth to have him chase it at least. Also what's with the transitional hate.

Transitional title reigns > no title reigns.
I agree with this, he's a better chaser than holder. With his "I will not die" attitude, it makes more sense to have him as a chaser anyway. And when did I say I didn't like transitional reigns? I just said that's what he will probably get if he gets a reign.

CM Punk was the top guy on the brand, the thing is unlike Punk Matt has exceeded all expectations of him. He's made an excellent ECW champion and has only really had Mark Henry to work with, not to take away from Henry who has become very good in his own right.
Did Hardy have high expectations to begin with? Punk, if I remember, had high expectations since he was a newer guy and he seemed to be extremely over with the crowd, and people thought he would easily be able ot carry the brand on his back. I agree he's made an excellent champion, but I can't see him as the top guy on one of the main brands. He just doesn't seem like that type of person.

A good worker yes, past his prime no. Matt's underrated by a lot of people, he can get a good match out of anyone and wrestle's a really good old school baby-face style of match. The thing is though you could turn him heel and he can wrestle and extremely good heel style as well.
He is past his prime. That doesn't mean he's still good. He can get a good match out of anyone and can wrestle nearly any type of match, because he's a good worker. In 2005 he was in his prime, but he could usually get a good match out of people before and after.

Once again I refer you to CM Punk, I also refer you to the person that took the belt away from Punk, a kinda flabby Chris Jericho.
Jericho had the name power. Punk had a big push. Punk was insanely over, and Jericho came in and stole it using heel tactics. I can't see Matt Hardy being like either of those.

As much as I would like to see it, it won't happen. Right now Matt is as far as I think they'll ever push him. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Matt go for one of the "big two" titles, but if they haven't given Jeff a world title by now, which is the Hardy that they pushed hard, they won't give one to Matt.
Matt does have the ability to contend and possibly win one of the the bigger title, and has the crowd support, but I still doubt they'll give him a run with one of the big two.

I agree with this, he's a better chaser than holder. With his "I will not die" attitude, it makes more sense to have him as a chaser anyway. And when did I say I didn't like transitional reigns? I just said that's what he will probably get if he gets a reign.

Oh I wasnt arguing with you over the transitional thing, I was capitalising on points that you made to argue with some points brought up by other posters.

Did Hardy have high expectations to begin with?

Nope and he's blown them out of the water. See my point, they did nothing with the dude and he still became mega over.

Punk, if I remember, had high expectations since he was a newer guy and he seemed to be extremely over with the crowd, and people thought he would easily be able ot carry the brand on his back.

Punk got a great reaction because of the indy fans, to be fair he did a good job staying over in ECW but once he moved to RAW it kind of all died away on him.

I agree he's made an excellent champion, but I can't see him as the top guy on one of the main brands. He just doesn't seem like that type of person.

Neither does Jeff Hardy but he may still win the title yet, it still comes down to there being no good reason not to try him and plenty of good reasons to try him.

He is past his prime. That doesn't mean he's still good. He can get a good match out of anyone and can wrestle nearly any type of match, because he's a good worker. In 2005 he was in his prime, but he could usually get a good match out of people before and after.

I think Matt is only coming into his prime, I think we can expect bigger and better things from the eldest Hardy before he's done.

Jericho had the name power. Punk had a big push. Punk was insanely over, and Jericho came in and stole it using heel tactics. I can't see Matt Hardy being like either of those.

I'll put it this way, look at John Morrison and The Miz, one is hated and is therefore over, the other doesnt get much of a reaction at all. One has had a many pushes and the other did nothing before becoming a tag team champ. Miz is more over than Morrison, yet it's Morrison who was pushed beforehand.

Apply that logic to Matt and Punk and there you have it, Matt is more over than Punk and didnt recieve a quarter of the push.

After reading the last few posts, I must agree that Matt Hardy is a damn good chaser for a belt...

Could this mean he has a shot at winning MITB, and holds onto the briefcase for a long while before cashing it in? With the right champion, it could work...

the only way i see him getting a world title stint is when him and his brother both win it on the same night. like a big ppv liek summerslam would be good for this because it is big. more numbers will come in for buys and yeah it will be cool just like benoit and eddie. anyways i would love him to win it. he deserves it much more than his bro even no i hate to say this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back