Match Of The Year

What Was The Match Of The Year?

• Shield vs. Wyatt Family - Elimination Chamber

• Daniel Bryan vs. HHH - Wrestlemania XXX

• Hardys vs. Team 3D vs. Wolves - Impact, October 4, 2014 (Full Metal Mayhem)

• El Torito vs. Hornswoggle - Extreme Rules (WeeLC)

• Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt - Royal Rumble

• Team Cena vs. Team Authority - Survivor Series

• Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn - NXT: Arrival

• Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd - NXT: Fatal Fourway

• Young Bucks vs. Wrestling's Cutest Tag Team - PWG Eleven

• Bully Ray/Rockstar Spud vs. Austin Aries/Mr. Anderson - One Night Only: Joker's Wild II

• Shield vs. Evolution - Extreme Rules

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm well aware that I used it as an example for how to do women's wrestling but I really thought that The Young Bucks versus The World's Cutest Couple match in PWG was dreadful. Sure, The Young Bucks' entire shtick is extravagant, nonsensical, endless spots - it doesn't mean I have to like it.

In fact, if it's ludicrous spots you want, just with more logic, you really can't go wrong with the WeeLC match. What should have been groan-worthy was actually hilarious and probably the best pre-show match since The Usos versus The Shield.

Bray Wyatt was in a trilogy of great pay-per-view matches at the start of the year. He should have never been fed to Cena but there's no denying their match at WrestleMania, which isn't in the poll, was tremendous. Prior to that, making the Cena matches look even more ridiculous, he was victorious over WWE's two hottest properties in fantastic matches in consecutive pay-per-views: over Daniel Bryan at The Royal Rumble and over The Shield at Elimination Chamber.

The entire Shield versus Wyatt Family feud felt like time had been rewound - as if we'd gone back to a time when fans would pop at just two wrestlers, or two groups of wrestlers, being in the ring together. They had awesome - awesome - matches together, on television and pay-per-view, but the first at Elimination Chamber is probably the best of the bunch.

Why it was so heartbreaking to see The Shield break up, if you're anything like me, was because they went out at their peak. Their first match against Evolution, which was at Extreme Rules and is the one on the poll, was superior to the second, but they'd been in war after war after war, put on great shows and came out on top. Seth Rollins, you traitorous piece of shit.

Daniel Bryan, no surprise to anyone, was in a number of great matches before his injury. Even his matches against Kane - Kane - were good. Already mentioned was the Wyatt match but there was the WrestleMania double as well. For my money, the triple threat was actually better than the opener, especially the weird symmetry with WrestleMania XX.

You'd think I'd stop but I continuously doubt Sami Zayn. I didn't think his feud with Adrian Neville would be interesting. It was. I didn't think he'd have any chemistry with Tyler Breeze. He did. I didn't think there was any more of a story to be told between him and Cesaro. There was, it was incredible and it was the match of the year.

ibklaVbEwPETF7.gif

iGQifmKEvyxaZ.gif

iOPh66w8zOLH2.gif

'Twas a thing of beauty.

Shield/Wyatts had me and the crowd marking out from before the opening bell all the way to the end. Great storytelling, Wyatts at their strongest, Shield near the end of their run and most importantly two of the hottest factions the company has had going to war and stealing a show that featured a Chamber match. Good on everyone involved and while some matches came close for me, nothing topped this spectacle. Perfect angle, and perfect execution. The match that turned The Shield face.

The Shield vs. Wyatt Family from Elimination Chamber had a LOT to live up to, and it even somehow managed to surpass ALL expectations. It was remarkable.

However, The Young Bucks vs. Wrestling's Cutest Tag Team is the most insane match I've ever seen and propelled into a top 10 all time favorite of mine. I got to vote for it here, even though I know it stands zero chance of winning. If it doesn't win then for the record The Shield vs. Wyatt Family from Elimination Chamber does.

I voted for the Hardys, Team 3D, and Wolves Full Metal Mayhem series ending match(even though their ladder match was better), the match was more than merely the nostalgia it could've been, instead it was brilliant and on par with classic six man gimmick matches that the latter two teams had with Edge and Christian.

The second most deserving match on this list is the Bucks against Candace and Joey from PWG's anniversary show.

Shield vs Wyatts was a WAR! Almost 25 minutes of non stop action. The matches with Evolution followed the same formula but it wasn't quite the same.

I'll vote for it but only because the best match isn't on the list. The triple threat main event at WrestleMania.

The Shield vs The Wyatts hands down. That was an absolute cracker of a match, I'm still adamant that it should have happened at Wrestlemania, it just had a big fight feel to it.

It's a shame that we only got two matches between these guys, but they easily stole the show both times.

The Shield and Wyatt's was when the current WWE had everyone thinking wrestling had shaken off the cobwebs of the last x amount of years and nothing for good was to come. That's may not have delivered, but the was effortless beauty between six unknown quantities. And in a large way, that was part of the charm. No sniff of a Big Show or a Cena or an Orton anywhere. Considering everything, it was amazing.

While we're remembering Sami/Neville for next year's list, let's remember Briscoe/Cole as well. What a way to end it, both matches close 2014 with their promotion's match of the year.

TLC has a lot to live up to if it wants to even approach Final Battle or [R]Evolution.

While we're remembering Sami/Neville for next year's list, let's remember Briscoe/Cole as well. What a way to end it, both matches close 2014 with their promotion's match of the year.

TLC has a lot to live up to if it wants to even approach Final Battle or [R]Evolution.

I haven't seen Final Battle yet, but there's no way it even comes close to Takeover.

I haven't seen Final Battle yet, but there's no way it even comes close to Takeover.
I mean Final Battle obviously has filler(like a pointless but fun opener, Sydal getting a TV title shot for no apparent reason, a Moose match, etc.) that [R]Evolution didn't have due to run time to fill. But the shit that really worked at Final Battle was equally incredible.

Once you check Page vs. Strong, Bucks/ACH vs. Cedric/The Addiction, reDRagon vs. Time Splitters, and Cole vs. Briscoe; then you'll see what I mean.

I feel like people are forgetting how fucking crazy the Shield Vs Evolution matches were.

Cesaro Vs Zayn tho....

Trying to decide who gets the vote. Cesar Vs Zayn I suppose, since I thought the second of the Evolution Vs Shield matches was the better one, and its not on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back