Madden 2013 - Yes or No?

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I used to play Madden games religiously. The first I ever bought was Madden '97 for the Playstation 1. I was terrible at it, and had no concept of strategy, but I played it near every day, and my dad always let me win. Until about 2002, when I was good enough to legitimately kick his ass every time... I've clocked hundreds of hours into the series; probably more than I care to admit.

It was about 2006, maybe 07 when I realized I was paying $40, $50, $60 every year for the same game repackaged with only slightly better graphics. After high school I just stopped playing altogether, and I'll say it's been at least 3 or 4 years since I've ever played a Madden game for more than a few minutes in Gamestop or whatever.

I've been seriously considering picking up 2013 next week to play with some of my friends from back home (I just moved). SO, I wanted to ask you guys:

1) Is there anything specific about this year's version of the game that says I should definintely, or perhaps definitely not pick it up?

2) Should I grab it for PS3 or XBox 360? What do you have, or who will play with me?

What turned me off is that you can't import your draft class anymore or your road to glory player. I'm probably not gonna buy it this year.

Yeah, that was the biggest reason I buy Madden and the only reason I even buy NCAA Football. I'm not the only person like this, they really made a mistake taking that off. I'm not buying unless they release a software patch for both games allowing you to import/export draft classes between games.

OP, if you haven't bought a Madden game, I wouldn't. It sounds like the last time you played was one of the last few times it was actually good. This year they improved the throwing mechanics for the QB, the DBs have to see the ball to make a play on it, and, greatest of all, they added principles of physics to the game instead of everything being animation based. The problem is this game has been broken since it came to the current generation of consoles and it still is according to the demo. Your DBs are still ******ed while the CPU's are psychic, the LB's still pick off balls there weren't thrown anywhere near them, you still can't throw the deep ball past the CB, your pass rush doesn't exist and your o-line still can't block. This game is still a waste to me so far.

Well, thanks for the feedback. Yeah the last time I played you could still win every game rushing with Michael Vick. :lmao:

I'll probably wait for the reviews to come out, and check out the demo.

I bought 12 because the last one I had was 06 and it was time to get back into it.

I'm not getting 13 because I have 12 no matter how good the game is, unless it blows me or lets me send faxes.

If you want to get back into it & haven't played in a while, pick up 13 or a cheap 12.

If you wait like a month they will have used copies at Gamestop. Even if it only saves you like $5.

A lot of it depends on what you want to play it for. If you just want to play an occasional game here and there get a cheap copy of 12, if you play Franchise, even with them taking out the NCAA draft classes, get 13. The Franchise in 12 was dick, especially the free agent signing.

Seems like 2008/09 was probably the last time was really great. I'm crossing my fingers for a review above 8.5 from something respectable. I usually don't implicitly trust review sites, but...with games that are essentially the same every year, I don't really care that much.

I've gotten Madden every year since 1998. From Nintendo 64, to Gamecube, to PS2, to Xbox 360. This year will be no different.

Well, IGN gave Madden 13 a 9/10. More importantly, Greg Miller of IGN gave Madden 2013 a 9/10. I've been following Greg since he was "Gruesome Greggy" going toe-to-toe with WWE Superstars, actually making the WWE Games launch exciting every year. Probably the most reliable review source IGN has these days.

Anywho, I think I'm going to pick this up. I played the demo and quite enjoy it. I haven't played in quite a few years, but by the review it seems a marked improvement on what they've been putting out recently. I'll be getting it for PS3, so if anybody wants to play, or potentially share in a Connected Careers mode, that'd be fun.

Well, IGN gave Madden 13 a 9/10. More importantly, Greg Miller of IGN gave Madden 2013 a 9/10. I've been following Greg since he was "Gruesome Greggy" going toe-to-toe with WWE Superstars, actually making the WWE Games launch exciting every year. Probably the most reliable review source IGN has these days.

Anywho, I think I'm going to pick this up. I played the demo and quite enjoy it. I haven't played in quite a few years, but by the review it seems a marked improvement on what they've been putting out recently. I'll be getting it for PS3, so if anybody wants to play, or potentially share in a Connected Careers mode, that'd be fun.

You're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back