Location Location Location

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Many times I have mentioned how the venue can add to or take away from the overall opinion of an event. WrestleMania III is known for the highly anticipated main event between Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. It’s remembered for Hogan slamming Andre. It’s remembered for the classic IC match between Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat. It’s equally remembered for bringing in 93,173 to the Pontiac Silverdome. WrestleMania III was great, but would it be as fondly remembered if it was in say The Meadowlands Arena? I don’t think so. In fact WrestleMania may not be as big as it is today if not for the Silverdome crowd. For as good as WM3 was the first thing I think about when it is mentioned is the venue.

Over the next few years the WWF went to the big venues a handful of times before returning to them regularly for mania in 2001. Seven of the last ten manias have been held at large venues. Many people on this forum think WM17 was the greatest mania of all. There’s no doubt it was a great show, but I wonder if the fact that mania returned to the big venue for the first time in nine years had anything to do with it. I think WM17 would be fondly remembered if it was at a regular arena, but I think the Astrodome really helped the overall impression of this show.

I have three questions for you. Do you think the venue makes a difference in a show? What events that were in normal arenas would have been better suited for the big venue? Which was your favorite venue?

There are two events that come to mind that would have been more appropriate in a big venue. They are WM7 and WM14. WM7 was supposed to be in the LA Coliseum in front of 100,000 people. Tickets weren’t selling well and it was moved to the normal sized LA Sports Arena. I think this is an underrated show and have always said it would be remembered as a top five or six mania if it were in the Coliseum. The place went crazy for the Savage/Elizabeth reunion. Imagine that in front of 100,000 under the California sun. WM14 just seemed fitting for a big venue. This was the event that made the WWF a contender to WCW again and they would be number one again shortly after this. With the hype surrounding Mike Tyson, the popularity of Austin, the build between Taker and Kane, and the overall buzz the WWF was creating, I could just picture this event in front of 70,000.

As far as my favorite venue I would say Safeco Field (WM19). I can’t put my finger on it, but Safeco just looked very unique to me. I also liked Wembley Stadium for SummerSlam 92. The massive outdoor stadium looked awesome for wrestling. I should note that despite its normal size there is always a certain electricity in MSG.

So that’s my take. Am I alone here or does anyone else ever take note of the venue for a big event?

Great topic and I agree with you 100%..I think that a venue is just as important as booking for certain big events. Obviously for something like Breaking Point, for example, the venue won't much make to big of a difference because they don't carry the "big time" atmosphere. But to have an event like Wrestlemania/Royal Rumble/Summer Slam/Survivor Series in a venue that can't add to it just seems wrong to me. Take this past Mania for example. The crowd was great for the 1st hour or so then just died. Now take something like a Monday Night Raw in MSG/Chicago/Toronto/Montreal/Miami/Los Angeles....those crowds make the show better by proxy. That is why I honestly think they should limit the major events to the cities that have proven themselves. Hopefully Atlanta can be added to this list this year, as they usually get pretty pumped up for live events

Love this topic.

The only issue with Chicago is that...there really isn't a "large" venue to hold a WM so they are kinda stuck holding it in All-State (formerly Rosemont Horizon)...which seats maybe 18,500 (which isn't terrible but not the large crowds at other stadiums. Maybe Solider Field...but WM in Chicago outdoors would be a disaster when you are looking at 40 degree days with wind and rain. but you are right...the crowd in Chicago more than makes up for the smaller venue. It makes it seem like more people are there.

I'd always felt a WM in St. Louis would be huge. They always talk up the "wrestling tradition" in St. Louis everytime they are there. Hold it at the Edward Jones Dome (or maybe even at Busch Stadium...March and April in St. Louis is not real terrible..60 degrees but the Dome would be a better location)

Love this topic.

The only issue with Chicago is that...there really isn't a "large" venue to hold a WM so they are kinda stuck holding it in All-State (formerly Rosemont Horizon)...which seats maybe 18,500 (which isn't terrible but not the large crowds at other stadiums. Maybe Solider Field...but WM in Chicago outdoors would be a disaster when you are looking at 40 degree days with wind and rain. but you are right...the crowd in Chicago more than makes up for the smaller venue. It makes it seem like more people are there.

I'd always felt a WM in St. Louis would be huge. They always talk up the "wrestling tradition" in St. Louis everytime they are there. Hold it at the Edward Jones Dome (or maybe even at Busch Stadium...March and April in St. Louis is not real terrible..60 degrees but the Dome would be a better location)

Being from Chicago and having attended many events in the Allstate Arena I can tell you it's awesome being a part of that electric crowd. I can also tell you you're right about Solider Field. A wrestling event would not work there. In 2009 even though it was April it snowed the day of WrestleMania in Chicago. They could possibly get away with SummerSlam there, but you never know what the weather is going to be like in Chicago from one day to the next. Hell even one hour to the next can be unpredictable.

I agree about St. Louis. With all the wrestling heritage there and a big dome I can't believe WrestleMania has never been there. I'm surprised it's taken this long to go to the Georgia Dome. I also think the Superdome in New Orleans would be a good choice.

I agree tha location can make a big difference but with the larger stadiums you still need at hot crowd. Like the crowd at this year's WrestleMania seemed pretty dead till the HBK/Taker match. I do love going to events in Chicago too and plan on going to Night of Champins. Although the Indy crowds aren't as hot as Chicago I think Lucas Oil Stadium would be a good location and a place that would bring in a lot of Chicago fans too.

I think it's not much the venue as the crowd that makes the difference. Last night's SmackDown crowd in New Hampshire was absolutely horrible. Dead as a doorknob. The one the week before in North Carolina was also pretty bad for a state that's considered Flair Country. Compare a SmackDown when it's in the Chi-Town or even in Seattle. The pops are great and they don't need a cheer or boo track to generate some sort of reaction.

I have always thought of having a WWE show as a gift. Back in the day, WWE programming would come to Seattle once every 3-4 years, and when they came, we made sure that we were excited to have them here by going crazy for the faces and booing the crap out of the heels. But you watch a show coming either live or taped in a more low profile city like Des Moines, Iowa or anywhere in Connecticut and it looks like the crowd of 15,000 came just so they could sit down.

I personally believe any SummerSlam would look like a million bucks in a larger venue. SummerSlam is one of the Big Four PPVs WWE has and I have always viewed it as an event almost as large as WrestleMania.

My favorite venue is Safeco Field in Seattle for WM19. Mostly because it's in my hometown but also because there was a very unique feel having it in a baseball stadium. I think it was also the first place Shawn Michaels did his pyro going around the stadium. The crowd was on fire that night as well, and like I said, the crowd defines whether the night will be like a WrestleMania or a Bound For Glory.

Yes...Great topic..only a Brain like yours could come up with this...

I think it matters about the arena/stadium and also matters about the location...everyone knows New York has the hottest wrestling fans...and the MSG mania's are always amazing and have that atmosphere that is not describable...

As for the WM III, i think if it was at a small arena..it would have still be highly anticipated and for that one match...i think the aftermath of that wrestlemania got everyone talking, when it was announced about the crowd being over 90,000...

If your talking about wrestlemania, then I think im with you on the WM14, they had Tyson...it was a great night for wrestling and the main event was the reason...
Not Wrestlemania, I want to say Summer Slam 2002, I think they could have sold a lot of tickets for that show...attracted a good 40,000-50,000 fans...instead they were in a collisium with just less than 15,000 fans...
At that event you had major stars at the time who were over with the crowd, RVD, Jericho, Flair, Taker, HBK, HHH, The Rock, Brock, Kurt Angle, ppv debutant Rey Mysterio and more...and the matches that were huge where the IC title match, the Unsanctioned street fight and the undisputed championship match...

My favourite venue would have to be Ford Field...when you look inside that stadium..it just looked amazing...also like to mention SkyDome...the crowd reaction is what got it for me for the Rock/Hogan match...

The first thread I ever made on this forum was about venues. FACT.

I am a massive sucker for atmosphere, crowd heat, and really, thats what pro wrestling is all about. Getting a massive, passionate reaction out of the crowd. Hell yes, it means a lot to me. I have always felt they should hold SummerSlam in an outdoor venue, a baseball stadium, be it minor or major league.

As for my favorite? Very tough to call. I will have to go with The Calgary Saddledome for Canadian Stampede 1997. Just utterly fucking ridiculous. I have watched wrestling since before I could remember anything else, and never, NEVER have I heard a crowd so hot. Watch the main event from this show, and tell me different. Just utter chaos from start to finish, such a great match, and such an entertaining experience.

Do you think the venue makes a difference in a show?

That really depends on what type of show you are putting out to the fans. It's all about sensible booking of arenas, in other words. It's ridiculous to complete an average week of RAW inside somewhere that can hold 80,000 fans or to have WrestleMania in place that's capacity is 10,000. You have to adjust the size of the event to how important it is.

As you've probably determined from my point, it's best to put PPV's or special episodes of RAW that go for three hours in the "bigger" arena's so that it gives an aura of importance about the event. For your average show that goes on weekly, say the one before a PPV that builds storyline, it's best to keep to somewhere "smaller." Not to indicate the importance factor, but to have the crowds sound better and louder than they actually are for the event. The WWE knows that PPV's and major events will have hotted up crowds, or more excited ones than usual, so they can go to any preferable size they like.

What events that were in normal arenas would have been better suited for the big venue?

Apart from a couple of SummerSlam PPV's, the only events that I can put forth in my argument are the ones that have come out to Australia, as I'm pretty sure the programming that delivers WWE to us seems to be altered concerning the crowd (i.e. Drew McIntyre always garnered heat from the crowd).

When they come out to do house shows over here, only the big names get the pops and the other guys get shit all reactions. It really affects the entire show at times and has the potential of ruining the experience for others who are going for the first time (i.e. my friends who attended). I've had a running joke with my dad when we go that it's the acoustics due to the lack of people producing noise. But whilst the crowd can be to blame, the size of the arena is just too big for a house show, even if they only visit on the rare occasion. It's good for the financial benefits for both the promoters and the WWE, as well as allowing more of a crowd to see the show. From the specific perspective of the venue/event ratio, it could be handled better.

Which was your favorite venue?

Thus far, events that occurred in venues within Chicago, Toronto's Skydome and Madison Square Garden are the events that I have watched on the television that never need to be edited by the production trucks before hauling it's way over Down Under. They seem to have a very consistent atmosphere going where the size of the venue is big enough to turn a profit for all and contain an electric audience. Never been disappointed at how these venue's can make the show that much better in comparison to other arena's.

I have three questions for you. Do you think the venue makes a difference in a show? What events that were in normal arenas would have been better suited for the big venue? Which was your favorite venue?

I’m with you, man.

I definitely think that the location of a show makes a lot of difference. I have been watching wrestling for about 12 years and I have come to have my favourites, just like anyone else. My first favourite is Madison Square Garden. I recall watching the 2000 Royal Rumble there and realising that the location of the event just added so much more to the appeal of the PPV. I recall watching Mick Foley and Triple H beat the hell out of each other and the great thing about Madison Square Garden, is how close it is. The fans are not very fan away from the action at all and the entrance ramp is miniscule compared to what it normally is. I think it adds a lot more character and environment to the show. The other great thing about Madison Square Garden is how it is not conventionally known as a big arena. Rather, it holds a normal amount of people that would attend Raw or Smackdown. However, it just has a knack for creating so much heat, it never ceases to amaze me.

I recall watching John Cane come back in the 2008 Royal Rumble in Madison Square Garden and the electrifying pulse I felt coursing through my body was enough to make anyone a wrestling fan. Honestly, for me, there is no better arena for wrestling to take place in. The other arena I love is the Reliant Astrodome. However, that is just for a nostalgic reason. It was where WrestleMania X-Seven took place and that will always stick out in my memory as being the greatest event I have ever seen.

The event that I think would have been much better had it been in front of a larger crowd is Survivor Series 2000. This is probably one of my favourite events of all time and I must have watched it at least 100 times. I just think that it was deserving of a much bigger crowd because of the angle between Triple H and Stone Cold Steve Austin. I am of the opinion that it was a thoroughly enjoyable PPV and could have done with a bigger crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back