Is MSG too small for Wrestlemania?

I know this is going off on a tangent but i think WWE should do some of their PPV's outside of the states as i know there is a massive market in the UK and here in Australia. For the smackdown and raw tours they easily get 17-19000 people here in sydney and melbourne etc. When they had the Global Warning tour here in 02 they got just under 60,000 in melbourne. I know this is far fetched but if they were to do a Wrestlemania in Melbourne at the Melbourne Cricket Ground they could get around 110,000 or even more and same with ANZ stadium here in Sydney they could get around 80,000 or so. I can see peoples views with Indoor to outdoor arenas. Indoor venues are more intimate and when the crowd is hot they are damn HOT but then with the outdoor venues you can create a massive spectacular with fireworks and everything in between. With having PPV's overseas works in this time as countries like Australia and the UK have helped WWE to become the "Global" brand that it is.

Is the actual venue of MSG too small for Wrestlemania in terms of a capacity standpoint? Probably. But that's not all Wrestlemania is to the WWE. I think I can safely assume that the WWE makes more money when they have events in MSG than they do any other arena in the world. ESPECIALLY when it's big like Wrestlemania and they have billboards all over NYC promoting the show.

If WWE wanted to get more sales, they could use the Theatre as MSG as a viewing center, could make a deal with Radio City Music Hall to show the event, and sell MORE tickets essentially than any other venue.

But MSG doesn't need that. Big crowds are cool to see, but nothing beats a MSG crowd.

After looking at the arguments posted, I'm going to retain my orginal veiw that they will stay with the garden. One of the things vince is know for is how much he values his families ties within WWE. And Madison Square Garden is really as synonomous with WWE as is the Mcmahon name.Plus the fact the New York is a playground for marketing the product makes me think that Wrestlemania 30 will occur in Madison Square Garden.

Thank You for the feed back.

I think that WWE will continue its tradition and return to Madison Square Garden for Wrestlemania 30. It would make sense because 1, 10, and 20 were held there. Plus it's a very historical location for WWE. The only real issue is that the capacity there holds around 20,000 people. Wrestlemania 23, 24, and 25 have all gotten over 70,000 fans to attend. WWE would lose money on seats that could have been purchased, so they would REALLY have to work on making the show awesome enough for more people to buy in on PPV. Of course, some fans will buy it regardless with it being Wrestlemania number 30.... They should follow tradition, and they will, but at the same time I think they would make more money if they keep on using larger locations. Luckily the fact that it's the 30th Wrestlemania would add prestige to the show alone and they will surely still make a ton of money off of it even if they do it in a smaller location such as Madison Square Garden. Some traditions are meant to be kept alive, every 10th Wrestlemania being held at MSG is one of them.

So MSG holds about 20,000 people. If WWE can hold a Wrestlemania in Giants Stadium instead, which holds about 80,000 people, why wouldn't they?

I really can't see WWE turning down a huge stadium, 50,000 more ticket sales, and probably 100,000+ more items of merchandise sold, just to have an event in MSG. I really don't think that WWE cares about tradition all that much, especially when that so-called tradition would cost them millions of dollars.

Here are the last few Wrestlemanias held in stadiums:

WrestleMania XXIII: 80,000
WrestleMania XXIV: 75,000
WrestleMania XXV: 73,000
WrestleMania XXVI: 73,000
WrestleMania XXVII: 72,000

Again, MSG holds about 20,000. I'm sure they could stretch it and fit in for more seats somewhere, but it's still nowhere near what they could fill in a stadium. So again, I can't see them choosing to forgo that amount of revenue simply for "tradition."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back