Lex Luger your thoughts

lifelongfan

Occasional Pre-Show
back as a kid I was always big Lex Luger fan especially his WCW days. he hardly ever would win the big matches but as Sting hidden the Raptors Luger was caring the show. leading the fight with the NWO. I'd like to get a buzz going just to get Lex Some love. I'd like to see him put in the Hall of Fame I believe he deserves it. I hope he makes it soon. macho man should have lived to C the day he went in. I hope they don't do same thing with lex.

big difference with lex brother. there was a lot of negative media attention with lex regarding drugs and death.. very close to catching a murder charge. and then years of speech from him admitting many activites most know the E would prefer you carry to ur grave..
i too was a luger fan, although i much more enjoyed his wcw career after flair left for wwe in 91.. being the top heel with harley in his corner feuding with stinger & ron & pillman with awesomely strange ppv events!! good times

its sad to see and hear him today, its proof that.. well other guys have proven years of athletic enhancement supplements can be not that damaging if done with extreme care and staying away from the "party" drugs & drinks.. but when you let ur body be a blender & go off ur rocker.. pill to sleep, pill to wake up, lots of pills for the pain, lots of pills for fun, so on & so forth.. well i have a feeling the powers that be would probaby prefer IF he did be inducted, sadly to wait till he is not there to speak .. but i truly do not believe we will see him inducted until atleast after 2025 so more time has passed and so has he...

and i am aware some of what i just typed sounds harsh.. i dont mean to hate on him, but i wanted to be straight up, thats the truth.. atleast imo. and most of it can be proven.

what say you?

Can i just say thank you to lifelongfan. First of all Lex Luger is very UNDERRATED and UNDERAPPRECIATED. From the very beginning yes he was green and stiff but look at how he became. From being a great horseman to his amazing feud with the Horseman. Too bad Ric Flair would never give him a chance with the belt. Then you saw him mature into a much better wrestler. Thanks to Vince McMahon he wasnt able to achieve much in WWF, but then THANK GOD he came back to the WCW where he belonged. He for his size and build was much better than anyone of the bodybuilder wrestlers, better than Sid, better than Warrior, better than Hulk Hogan, better than most of them out there at his time. He single handedly fought the nWo and torture racked the GIANT on his own and he racked Road block and sooooo many big men. He was not the greatest on the microphone at times but then who cares!!!! Since when was that a huge deal??? You can definitely do a lot worse than Lex Luger. He is and ALWAYS WILL BE THE TOTAL PACKAGE. Time to just say so please. This man is not as bad as everyone puts him out to be. Road Warriors, Steiner Brothers, Sting, Buff Bagwell, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Nikita Koloff, all talented and all say great things about Lex Luger.

Also forgot how him and Hogan got the first ever 5 Rating in WCW Nitro History, that was an amazing pop and if you ever look back at starrcade 1996, Yes Malenkos pop when he was Ciclope was big but watch Lex Luger vs the Giant in one of his and one of the greatest matches. The Psychology was amazing and the POP WAS INCREDIBLE.

Like others have said, Lex Luger came around at a time in WWE when technical wrestling was being favored over build, so he never stood a chance against Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. He was only over for a brief period of time, and it was actually a very similar situation to Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan, where Vince shoved Lex Luger down the fans' throats but they chose Bret Hart. Luger was much better off in WCW, which is where he had most of his success.

For all the Luger fans, I did find a good custom Titantron for him on Youtube the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuJr0DKykg

Luger is one of those guys that's been labeled overrated for so long that he's actually become underrated. I was always somewhat indifferent to Luger growing up. He wouldn't make me change the channel but he didn't really captivate me either. But going back on the WWE Network and watching the Nitros from 1995 and 1996, and the WCW pay per views from 1995-2000, he was almost always a major player, and either a main eventer or upper mid carder. He was super over as a face with the live crowd and he garnered ratings too when WCW was hot. He was also an effective heel at times.

But in watching him during that second WCW run, I was very impressed, because I missed a lot of that time period when it was actually happening, and I have heard so much negative about Luger as a wrestler throughout the years like everyone else. But the reality is that Luger was a decent interview, pretty damn charasmatic, and a very solid power wrestler who almost always got the crowd into the match. Plus he had possibly the greatest physical build in the history of the business. I have a whole new level of respect for Luger and I feel that by the end of his career he hadn't really underachieved, but rather he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

You have to remember, he didn't flop in his WWF run in 1993-95, he just didn't exactly set the world on fire either, like many people thought he would. And he had to follow Hulk Hogan and compete with Bret Hart. There's no shame in having the limited success he did during that time period because of those two factors.

But his NWA and WCW runs were impressive and I have to say Luger was a huge player in the Monday night Wars and in the industry as a whole between the late 1980s and late 1990s. I now really like him as a performer. After watching a lot of his 90s work in WCW, he went from a guy that might not have made a top 100 list for me, to maybe top 20-25.

I was never a fan of Lex Luger.

I think he will undoubtedly go down as the greatest United States Champion of all time. And to me, that's about as high as he was ever meant to be. That's not a knock on him. That's a phenomenal accomplishment. I just never saw him as a top guy, either in WCW or WWF. He had a good look. But he lacked charisma and wasn't anything special in the ring. During his time at the top, as a babyface he was always overshadowed by Sting or Bret Hart. As a heel he was always overshadowed by Ric Flair (even if Flair wasn't even there). He was a good #2 or #3 guy and for the most part he was booked accordingly.

My favourite work of his was in the mid-90's in WCW during his tag team run with Sting. Luger was the heel. Sting was a face. They were a team, yet they never quite got along. It was a very fun dynamic, and I think an angle that actually suited Luger very well.

There's no doubt that Luger had success and was a player in the 80s and 90s. I'm not too familiar with his work pre WWE. But I don't think his run in WWE was a total bust like people make it out to be. He was the first man to slam Yokozuna and was red hot heading into Summerslam 94. As other have mentioned he was in WCW when it was at its peak during The Monday Night Wars and was a top face.
I think there is a chance he will get inducted into the Hall of Fame. He has been interviewed in several DVDs and documenturies on the Network so it seems he's on good terms with WWE. With them having the HOF every year they are running out of big names to induct. But he seems to get a lot of criticism about his work with people saying he's not a good worker and couldn't cut a promo. Their's also the controversy surrounding Miss Elizabeth's death.

I agree with what much has been said about Luger. Sure he was a mechanical worker... but no worse than Hogan, and he has been bashed considerably by the IWC that I think he is under appreciated.

Always preferred him as a heel though.... as a face he wasn't likeable or charismatic enough to be the Hulk Hogan #2 that Vince tried to create in 1993.
The Narcissist gimmick suited him, as an arrogant heel with a million dollar body.
As the American hero Luger was popular.... but not on a Hogan level... or even a Bret level (the fans chose Bret over Luger as the company top babyface at the 1994 Rumble when WWE teased a victory for each).

Still he was a 2 time WCW champion which is still an accomplishment- though his 2nd reign was short he was the guy that actually ended Hollywood Hogans first NWO world title reign (that's Hogan as a heel)... the first chink in the NWO armour in a sense.

If ever a guy looked like what a wrestler (stereotypically) should do.... it was Luger

A charismatic body-guy who could have gotten over more in the NWA if he hadn't been thrashed so often by Ric Flair. A far better heel than a babyface, he'd have thrived as a foe to Hulk Hogan, but otherwise was outdone by many of Hogan's actual heel foes. A top guy in his time, his time at the top was justifiably short, and after 1993 I don't think I could have put him anywhere near the top of any card.

Luger's body of work, especially when compared to inductees like Ultimate Warrior & Scott Hall is certainly HOF Worthy.

Luger was a Phenom with his look and speed in Florida in 1986 and his initial debut in the NWA in 1987 (when he was basically begging The Four Horsemen to take him in) was an extremely over angle. Luger gave The Horsemen some much needed youth and also allowed Arn Anderson, the former "junior member of the group", to grow and be a more vital and important character, similar to what Batista did for Randy Orton in the early days of Evolution. You could see Luger was still somewhat raw in his work but he was very good that year in tag team matches pitting him & Flair (The Dream Team) against The Rock & Roll Express, and he held his own late in the year against Dusty Rhodes. For me personally this was my favorite version of The Horsemen and 1987 was their best year.

Luger actually was the first guy, not Sting, the make it to #1A opposite Flair in 1988. Luger had arrived earlier and had a head start although I think Sting was a better all around talent. That doesn't take away from the fact that Luger was extremely popular, like Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage and Dusty Rhodes popular, in 1988. A large part of that was how well Flair worked with him, literally making Luger look like an un stoppable machine and carrying him to some of his all time best matches (Watch Flair-Luger from Starrcade 88, excellent match and probably Luger's best on TV). Luger might have gotten the belt then if not for WCW signing Ricky Steamboat and wanting to re - do the Flair-Steamboat angle from years earlier, now with Steamboat's added cred from being so prominently featured in WWE.

Luger remained very over with fans through the next few years, which included a lengthy run with US Title and eventually another heel turn. Luger stepped in and carried the ball with Flair big time in 1990 when Sting was injured just before he was to win the belt at SuperBrawl PPV in Feb (another great Luger match, but a bit more repetitive than Starracde 88), similar to how hard & how successful Luger was basically carrying the company on his back in 1997 when Sting in storyline dictated exile and Flair was off re habbing from major shoulder surgery. People forget that Luger was the face of the company against the initial NWO Invasion for a long time because Sting & Flair were both MIA for long stretches, that angle gained steam and WCW gained popularity in large part due to Luger's work.

Luger does get criticized for his ring work, which wasn't great over all but was above average. He had very good matches with Brett Hart in both WWE & WCW along with his classics with Flair and also wrestled well against Steamboat in 1989. You can argue that those three performers were among the all time best in the ring and carried Luger but that is only goes so far.....Does anyone really think Hogan could have duplicated those performances, even with those other performers ? Certainly Ultimate Warrior never could have duplicated what Luger did in those bouts. Not everyone is a candidate for "Greatest All Time In Ring Performer" but it's The Total Package (pardon the pun) that makes one great in this industry. Im not sure Id say Luger was great but he was certainly very good.

Luger has also been criticized for WCW basically falling off the planet when they made him champ in 1991. This wasn't his fault, the company had been so horribly mismanaged the entire year and firing Ric Flair may have been their biggest mistake, especially when Flair was willing and offered to keep working under the terms of his previous deal long enough to put Luger over at the next PPV. There were local radio stations that actually encouraged fans to boycott WCW in their core towns over this along with long, sustained chants from fans in attendance yelling "we Want Flair" during Luger's entire match. This In no way was Luger's fault, he had nothing to do with Flair with leaving the way he did and in fact had been pinpointed as the next champ for several months before this happened. It was no surprise that Jim Herd, the man running WCW during this, was fired a short time later and never worked in wrestling again. The WCW roster was decimated with talent leaving left & right. Luger had no one of substance to wrestle against. From a booking standpoint while Harley Race as Luger's manager did a fine job, this only served to make Luger a strict heel, like WCW was trying to recreate Flair in Luger. Luger didn't have the charisma to pull that off and the timing was horrible with fans in a furor over Flair's termination, it also made little sense since the WCW roster at that time had hardly any main event caliber faces worth opposing Luger outside of Sting, but did have Vader, Rick Rude, Barry Whyndam, and an up and coming pure heel Stunning Steve Austin, all of which would have made good opponents for a fan fave Luger as champ. This was a booking disaster from the get go but not Luger's fault.

I also felt Luger suffered from some bad booking in WWE. When he arrived in WWE Luger got very over very quickly in his "Narcissist" heel role, which was basically the same character he had been playing in WCW for the past two years, which made sense. It was literally out of nowhere, with no suitable explanation or foreshadowing of any kind, that Luger, this self absorbed morally corrupt cheater that we had been watching in both WWE & WCW for the last three years suddenly decides to adopt a strict moral code of decency and become Mr America to face Yokozuna. Why would the Narcissist care at all about USA Pride and why all of the sudden would he drape himself in the flag and start signing autographs for kids and acting with such humility. It made no sense what so ever and fans had a hard time with it. WWE wasn't happy with Brett Hart and wanted someone else playing the Hulk Hogan "Say Your Prayers. Take Your Vitamins...." etc character, someone who actually looked the part of a super hero style character, unlike Hart who lacked the size and height. This could have worked if done more slowly and with more build. In fact....

The NWA did a similar thing with Flair in 1985 when Nikita Kolloff was the company's new red hot heel, disparaging America at every turn and threatening to win all of our titles and take them back to Russia. Flair had been pretty much his classic womanizing, drinking, live to the excess heel character since early in 1984 but the NWA thought it would be good money to have him face the monster Kolloff, plus he could help train the young star how to better work in the ring. Flair started slowly mentioning Kolloff in promos, making it clear that despite his own foibles he didn't like hearing people mock his country or his company. Things escalated over time and finally Flair made it clear in his promos that a full scale feud was on. The Kolloffs attacked and brutalized him, he fought back, pretty basic Wrestling 101. Flair didn't completely change his character though, he just in a very subtle way nuanced his presentation to fit the storyline and fans ate it up. The matches were sell outs, including a stadium show in Flair's hometown of Charlotte, and after the run wrapped up the NWA hadn't changed Flair so dramatically so quick that fans couldn't buy it, they also hadn't changed him enough that they couldn't go back, he was effectively believable at this stage being a full force face or going back to his villainous ways, and thus the groundwork for Starrcade 85 and Dusty's Broken Leg angle was born.

WWE could have slowly had Luger interact with Yokozuna, show his upset over Yokozuna disparaging the US and the WWE, and worked the fans into urging him to change to the hero to oppose him. Instead WWE spent almost a year pushing Luger as the The Narcissist (again very similar to how he was booked his last year plus in WCW before coming over) and over night wrapped him in flag and thought fans would embrace him as Hulk Hogan #2. Luger did become popular, he did well, but really only got as high or near abouts as Hart did playing a similar role, which wasn't what WWE had hopped. Still, WWE had every intention of keeping Luger on the roster in a prominent top tier role when he left for WCW in 1995, surprising everyone in WWE who thought it was a foregone conclusion Luger was staying with the company. Again, you can only play what you are given and Luger wasn't given great material here but he somehow still managed to get over with fans and remain relevant. That's impressive.

At the end of the day, I think it's Luger's cursory involvement in Elizabeth's death that keeps him out of the HOF. There was a lot of negative media attention surrounding her overdose, drugs in wrestling, etc when she died. I personally thought Luger should have entered the HOF as part of The Horsemen contingent with Ole Anderson, but Ole refused to make piece with Vince or the other H-Men and not having him there made it easier for WWE to exclude Luger, basically inducting just one version of The Group instead members from multiple versions (they certainly were not going to enshrine Benoit, though a string case can be made the later members like Benoit, McMichael, and Dean Malenko did so little and contributed so little they don't merit consideration in the first place)..

Luger was rookie sensation, a multi time World, US, and tag Team Champion, he main evented against Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Brett Hart, and Randy Savage, he was an integral part Of The Four Horsemen at the height of that angle's popularity and profitability and was the veritable MVP as face of WCW against the NWO Invasion, kickstarting the early days, and some would say the best days, of that angle, covering for the absences of Flair & Sting from TV turning the tide in the Monday Night Wars. I definitely think he deserves some HOF cred, but alas the Liz Passing and negative attention will probably prevent that from ever happening.

A charismatic body-guy who could have gotten over more in the NWA if he hadn't been thrashed so often by Ric Flair. A far better heel than a babyface, he'd have thrived as a foe to Hulk Hogan, but otherwise was outdone by many of Hogan's actual heel foes. A top guy in his time, his time at the top was justifiably short, and after 1993 I don't think I could have put him anywhere near the top of any card.

You do realize that Luger was the Face Of WCW during the height of The NWO Storyline in 1997, main eventing all the live shows, Nitros, and carrying the PPVs with Flair off much of the year after surgery on his torn rotator cuff and Sting was in storyline dictated exile and never wrestled ? That Luger, in 1997 four years after you wouldn't have put him anywhere near the top of the card, was actually the #1 babyface in the biz and carrying the NWO storyline at it's height when WCW clearly established itself as the #1 Promotion ?

You do realize that Luger was the Face Of WCW during the height of The NWO Storyline in 1997, main eventing all the live shows, Nitros, and carrying the PPVs with Flair off much of the year after surgery on his torn rotator cuff and Sting was in storyline dictated exile and never wrestled ?

Based on his accomplishments in pro wrestling and how hard he worked, I'd say he surely has the qualifications for HOF. I don't particularly care about his drug use or whatever the hell happened with Elizabeth.... not as a barrier to induction.

Still, although I've caught garbage on this forum previously for bringing this up, I ask whether an organization would want to honor a guy who pulled the crap Luger did when leaving WWE to return to WCW.

Can you imagine how embarrassed Vince McMahon must have been when Lex left without saying a word? Just one night after appearing on TV for WWE, Luger turns up on the air for WCW? Think of Vince watching WCW on TV and seeing that......being caught completely by surprise.

Yes, yes, his contract had expired and he had the legal right to do whatever he wanted.......but what about moral obligations? At the time, perhaps Luger said: "I'm probably burning my bridges with WWE forever, but I'm doing this anyway."

And now, if that's exactly the reason behind McMahon not inducting Lex Luger, I honestly wouldn't blame him a bit. The rest of you might not think Luger's betrayal was a big deal, but imagine how you'd feel if you were Vince McMahon.

He had a good career. World Champ, U.S. Champ. Tag team champ. Top look.

He did start out a bit green but got to a respectable level. The Sting 'crow' character probably took away a bit of his thunder but when he made took the world title from Hollywood Hogan by making him tap out to the Torture Rack on Nitro's 100th episode that crowd popped like a mofo.

Sad the way his life went after WCW folded but so many other wrestlers have gone down that path and aren't with us anymore.

To sum him up, if you had the wrestling career he had you couldn't really complain.

Luger was a great upper mid carder in WCW. His passion was body building not wrestling. He then went to WBF and that folded so he signed to the WWF in 1993 as the Narcisist Lex Luger which was a re-hash of the Boy Toy Shawn Michaels and also The Model Rick Martel. It did not really get over - first because the character was so lame. His in ring work was poor and he was matched with crap wrestlers. He had an awful storyline about his metal arm- being bionic after a motorbike crash and he could knock opponents clean out with his running forearm.

Next at WM9 press conference on the morning of the event, attacked Bret Hart in an angle that made no sense other than to make Bret Hart look vunerable and explain his later loss to Yokozuna. His next move on WWF TV came when he landed on the USS entrepid and stood up to Yokozuna and turned face for no real reason (in the storyline); what I mean is - it should have been built up first before that happened.

Lex Express was born and the call to action campaign began. The most expensive wrestling push in wrestling history. It failed and the count out win at Summerslam sucked ass. His co-win of the Royal Rumble was his last big moment in WWF. After that he teamed with Bulldog as the allied powers then quit WWF and was the first WWF wrestler to jump to WCW (at least during the Monday Night Wars). He had a few moments of hope in WCW - notably in NWOand the wolfpac - but his life went spiralling out of control. Thankfully, Lex turned his life around again.

Should he be in the HOF? yes. He conributed a lot to Wrestling in general and was very popular in his day.

Still, although I've caught garbage on this forum previously for bringing this up, I ask whether an organization would want to honor a guy who pulled the crap Luger did when leaving WWE to return to WCW.

Can you imagine how embarrassed Vince McMahon must have been when Lex left without saying a word? Just one night after appearing on TV for WWE, Luger turns up on the air for WCW? Think of Vince watching WCW on TV and seeing that......being caught completely by surprise.

Yes, yes, his contract had expired and he had the legal right to do whatever he wanted.......but what about moral obligations? At the time, perhaps Luger said: "I'm probably burning my bridges with WWE forever, but I'm doing this anyway."

And now, if that's exactly the reason behind McMahon not inducting Lex Luger, I honestly wouldn't blame him a bit. The rest of you might not think Luger's betrayal was a big deal, but imagine how you'd feel if you were Vince McMahon.

Well, Vince had no problem stealing Rick Rude from the NWA when he was still the reigning World Tag Champ with Manny Fernadez.....Vince had no issue parading the WCW Title belt around for a month on all of his TV shows to advertise the arrival of "The Real World's Champion" to WWE....Vince also was willing to mend fences with a guy who spent 30 years publicly denigrating him every chance he got (Sammartino) not too mention making peace with The Ultimate Warrior and Brett Hart in recent years. I really don't think the SummerSlam-Nitro back to back is what hurts Luger going into the HOF.

Also, Luger worked (and may still be working) behind the scenes in WWE for quite some time in the past decade helping with the crafting and implementation of their substance abuse policy. He clearly hasn't been unable to find work with the company so "burned bridges" haven't kept him from collecting a WWE pay check recently, but being behind the scenes is a lot different than being touted as part of their HOF.

Here is a brief interview Lex did in 2013 which mentions his work in WWE with the Welllness Policy....

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/1105/567044/lex-luger-talks-death-of-elizabeth/

I was a fan of Luger from his debut in CWF. I hated his time in WWF as Lex was always better as a heel. He was green for a long time. The NWA/WCW was where he should have stayed and given a run with the NWA belt. I've always been a fan of Flairs but a wrestler shouldn't have booking power and he did hold Luger back. Money is always involved but I think WCW was the better place than resigning with Vince as he had friends there, which it didn't seem like in the WWF. He should be in the HOF but I think looking at his current condition physical Vince would not show what the sport can lead to if you live it to excess.

I don't get why Vince was so gutted about losing Lex in 1995. For the last year of Lex's WWE tenure he was booked into oblivion.
By 1994 Vince had realised that that the Lex mega push had failed... after the lukewarm reaction to his co-win at the 1994 Rumble, Bret Hart was given the top babyface spot again, and the title at Wrestlemania 14.... and Luger transcended down the mid card and wasn't a title contender again for his remaining 18 months.
Here he was losing to the likes of midcarders such as Tatanka on PPV, and put into a tag team with Davey Boy- where they failed to win the tag belts at a PPV.

At the time he left I'm not sure Luger would have even made the WWE top 10:
Bret, Shawn, Diesel, Razor, Jarrett, Undertaker, Owen, Davey, Backlund, Yoko....

Luger may still have been an asset in name status... but it was clear Vince wasn't planning on pushing him anymore

Bret Hart was given the top babyface spot again, and the title at Wrestlemania 14....

Excuse the typo that was supposed to read Wrestlemania 10 though i'm unable to go in and edit it.

There was the old rumour that Luger was supposed to go over Yoko and win the belt at WM10- but had a few drinks the night before and told some journalists what the outcome would be.
Both Bret and Luger had denied this years down the line. In his book Bret said that he was told of his WM10 title win well in advance of the event, and Luger has said that Vince never promised him the title- and he accepted that Bret would be the next babyface to get the title.

Well, Vince had no problem stealing Rick Rude from the NWA when he was still the reigning World Tag Champ with Manny Fernadez.....Vince had no issue parading the WCW Title belt around for a month on all of his TV shows to advertise the arrival of "The Real World's Champion" to WWE.

My criticism of Luger for the manner in which he handled his WWE exit is in no way meant to infer that Vince McMahon was an angel in his own business practices. The way he ran other wrestling organizations out of business in the 80's in his expansion efforts stunk to high heaven, as far as I was concerned.....and although I've always been a WWF/WWE fan, I took a certain pleasure in watching WCW do to McMahon what he did to others .....even though I subsequently enjoyed Vince sticking it to Bischoff & his buddies.

Then again, you've told me something I didn't know; that Lex has been drawing a paycheck from WWE for a few years. That being so, I would commend McMahon for giving the guy a job when he probably badly needed one.....because I still maintain that after the way Lex exited in '95, Vince owed him nothin'.

Reactions: NSL
Luger's positives far outweighed his negatives. A phenomenal physique. Success on all levels (minus chasing the WWE title). He did his thing. I met him a few years back at a church and he is a down-to-earth guy who is just as much about his business now as he was then. Definitely HOF worthy.

I was a fan of Luger from his debut in CWF. I hated his time in WWF as Lex was always better as a heel. He was green for a long time. The NWA/WCW was where he should have stayed and given a run with the NWA belt. I've always been a fan of Flairs but a wrestler shouldn't have booking power and he did hold Luger back. Money is always involved but I think WCW was the better place than resigning with Vince as he had friends there, which it didn't seem like in the WWF. He should be in the HOF but I think looking at his current condition physical Vince would not show what the sport can lead to if you live it to excess.

Flair was the one most responsible for pushing Luger to the moon, first in the Horsemen then as his opponent, Luger's run 87-88 launched him into the stratosphere and Flair was the biggest part of that.

Sting had eclipsed Luger by 1990 and the build was for his first championship. That was the plan at SuperBrawl 90 (may have been dubbed Music City Showdown but it was the annual Feb SuperShow WCW did). Sting's injury simply delayed those plans. There was some consideration into letting Luger win instead but the decision was made to wait for Sting, build his return as the continuation of that storyline, and crown him champ.

Flair also offered to put over Luger clean at the Bash 91 PPV to crown him as champ even though his contract expired more than a month before that, provided he continue being paid at his previous rate (WCW had attempted to cut his pay in half after disputes about changing his hair, wearing an earing, and some consideration about turning him into a Roman Gladiator style gimmick, remember this is the same booking crew the created the hunchback Ding Dong tag team and presented Kevin Nash as OZ). WCW chose to fire Flair when he wouldn't resign a new deal with them and denied his offers to put over Luger or Barry Whyndam on the house show circuit before he left. Flair was more than willing to put Luger over as champ when the time came, WCW failed them both.

Flair was the one most responsible for pushing Luger to the moon, first in the Horsemen then as his opponent, Luger's run 87-88 launched him into the stratosphere and Flair was the biggest part of that.

Sting had eclipsed Luger by 1990 and the build was for his first championship. That was the plan at SuperBrawl 90 (may have been dubbed Music City Showdown but it was the annual Feb SuperShow WCW did). Sting's injury simply delayed those plans. There was some consideration into letting Luger win instead but the decision was made to wait for Sting, build his return as the continuation of that storyline, and crown him champ.

Flair also offered to put over Luger clean at the Bash 91 PPV to crown him as champ even though his contract expired more than a month before that, provided he continue being paid at his previous rate (WCW had attempted to cut his pay in half after disputes about changing his hair, wearing an earing, and some consideration about turning him into a Roman Gladiator style gimmick, remember this is the same booking crew the created the hunchback Ding Dong tag team and presented Kevin Nash as OZ). WCW chose to fire Flair when he wouldn't resign a new deal with them and denied his offers to put over Luger or Barry Whyndam on the house show circuit before he left. Flair was more than willing to put Luger over as champ when the time came, WCW failed them both.

True that he put Luger over when he first came in but when it came down to dropping the belt Flair was his own booker. While I like both guys Flair only offered to drop the belt when he was playing for a new contract and thrown off the booking committee. When he was told to drop the belt but said he was only going to drop it to his friend Sting he should have been stripped. You can't have wrestlers booking, too much ego involved.

Very true. Flair had his chances Bash 88 Starrcade 88 even in 1990 and countless other events and he never dropped it to Luger. Also held down Vader. I Think Luger was MORE than capable of holding the belt. Just check out the audience when they THOUGHT he won the belt over Flair at the Bash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back