Matt Hardy the new Lex Luger?

LEGEND KILLER

Occasional Pre-Show
Backlash ending up being a huge blow to the Matt Hardy push everybody is expecting him to recieve. Or was it? Matt showed up on Raw and didnt really wrestle but defeated Goldust with a shot with his cast. This immediatly reminded me of when Lex Luger was in WWE and used to use his cast to win matches. The guy had the cast on for months! The commentators even said this is the longest injury ever! I hope WWE goes with this angle this was for 2 reasons

1) keeps Matt Hardy on tv
2) it draws huge heat

So my question is 2 parted....whats going to happen with Matt Hardy will he be buried and be written off tv or will he excel and use his real injury and milk it away like Lex Luger did?

Its not really the same thing because Luger had a metal plate not a cast, and the plate was permanent. Eventually he had to wear a pad over it. I think what they will do is use him the way they used Bob Orton. He will keep the cast on much longer than needed and use it to gain even more heat. Hopefully Matt can keep his career going without the cast unlike Orton could.

Firstly, This whiny heel cracks me up. Like stated earlier I believe Luger's was a plate. So if anything, this is more like Cowboy Bob.

Hardy will use the cast to gain victories when the ref isn't paying attention. He will gain heat and add a new dimension to character. Hopefully it works. Anyone remember D-Lo Brown, when he wore the jacket to gain more impact on the frogsplash?

the cast wont last too long. if hardy is to be one of the next big heels on raw with orton and big show he need to loose it.
if he keeps winning squash matches because of the cast it doesnt really make him look big, bad and mean does it?

its just the same if he had a glove on with brass knuckles underneath. people will think, "yea he knocked him out with one punch but he used an illegal object. i bet if i was in the ring there with that brass knuckles i would win too".

by all means do it for now as if he is to have a broken hand we all know that doesnt heel overnight.

but he cant punch with it, cant do certain moves with it such as the twist of fate and side effect.

i would get tired of seeing someone have 100 squash matches with one illegal move. face it, its the same finish everytime. hardy avoids the attacks, ref somehow gets distracted, hardy sneaks up, hit opponent in head with cast, ref turns around, 1.2.3

I would say it would be a lot more similiar to when Owen Hart had a cast on forever. I mean it has been done before but hopefully they market it the right way to get matt some serious heat because he is long due for a major push and the heel direction seems to be working well

I think it could work for a little while. Just don't overkill it, like have a few squash matches where he uses the cast to where the announcers make note if he will use it or not. Then switch it up a bit and have him win clean a few times, he will probably have to have a new finisher until it heals. I'm sure he can work the buzzasaw kick or something into a move set until he can use the hand again. But the point is to have him use the cast then taper off and only use it for guys like Batista or someone we know he can't beat without using a twist of fate or whatever. I think the cast thing could work for a little while, really hasn't been done in a bit.

Well they both suck on the mic and make crappy heels so i see the comparison.

And when Luger did the metal plate in the arm wasn't he a Huge face at the time being prepped as the next Hogan. If you were to incorporate a Luger gimmick of sorts with hardy have him do what Luger did towards the end of his career. Have him put a guys arm in a chair and stomp on it. Man i remember as a kid that working as a charm for me. That got me so pissed off that he would go and break peoples arms like that but i guess Orton is doing something similiar doing his best jeff feagles impression (even though i do like the punting thing).

i remember when owen hart had the cast so long it started to get really manky lol i think they should run with it or have hardy do some annoying segements like orton did in his 1st injury

I don't think he'll be buried. But now that his feud with Jeff is aparently over where can he go from here? The only good heel promo he's done so far is the one he did after the Royal Rumble, where he talked about how Jeff wasn't his brother anymore. He delivered it so coldy and evil, it felt geniune. But ever since then, he's just seemed stayle to me. The fight with Gregory Helms on Smackdown was boring, and I think WWE waited too long for him to reveal he was behind all the "accidents" involving Jeff. I mean come on once he smacked with that chair at the Royal Rumble it was so obvious. I hope he wont wear the cast fot too long because it'll make him seem weak, and the fans will start to view him as a chicken heel.

i think hes more the new owen hart. never gunna win the huge title, but excellent mid carder and bit of a coward.

Matt Hardy has potential, but I doubt he'll ever be a main eventer.

I personally think he is a pretty good heel, much better than he is as a face. Plus its something fresh and he can be involved in so many new story lines, and this injury just makes things better. The point of the cast used in the matches is to gain heat and make it obvious that he shouldn't win that easily without having to cheat or use some unfair advatage, which is a typical heel. Plus, wearing a cast for a little longer could also help the healing and help prevent it being broken again in the future.

I don't think the WWE will bury Matt, because he's hit a point where he's improving and reaching new unexplored heights. It would be a mistake for WWE to bury him.

For those of you saying to get the cast off sooner than later, just remember that this is a LEGIT injury and he will wear the cast as long as he has to. And for the record on Luger, his "metal plate" was a work. He does not really have a metal plate in his forearm.

I would have to agree with simonhurst, Hardy will probably be the next Owen Hart. He'll always be a step below his brother, but will make for a great mid-card heel. He already won a "World Title" in the ECW belt, but thats about as good as the IC belt years ago. Well said on Hardy being the next Owen

im surprised nobody has brought up the fact that there was another "superstar" who used an illegal weapon to win matches. does nobody remember that loser christopher norwinski the supposed only harvard graduate in the wwe. he used that face sheild when he broke his nose to win matches. thats how him and rodney mack got all of those wins.

the cast wont last too long. if hardy is to be one of the next big heels on raw with orton and big show he need to loose it.
if he keeps winning squash matches because of the cast it doesnt really make him look big, bad and mean does it?

Matt Hardy is probably never going to look big, bad, and mean. But you said it, Orton and Big Show are there and they can be the big bad mean heels. Matt Hardy can be more of a cunning heel. This cast fits it perfectly, like a cast.

No, I think this turns into a feud with Randy Orton where Matt keeps the cast on to get to be the #1 contender down the road. Think about it, what was Randy's dad known for? Oh yeah, the cast on the arm! What a twist this could end up being, beaten by his dad's old strategy. They could easily work this in to be a great storyline.

The cast on Matt's arm is a good touch to his heel character. The definition of a heel is to be underhanded and cheat. That's what Matt's doing. Comparing it to Lex Luger's injury isn't the same. Luger had a metal plate and was a face. Bob Orton had a cast for about 6 years it seemed like.

This will elevate Matt's bad guy status. A heel's job is to make someone hate you or want to see your ass kicked. That's what he's doing. Good for Matt. Good for the WWE.

How can you compare Matt to Owen?

Matt is a good wrestler and good story teller but over all Owen was the better heel, the better wrestler and produced better matches.. but they have had similar story lines, but IMO Owen was better then Matt, and Matt could win a world title even now, when Owen was around it was much harder to win the world title.

whatever the wwe decides to do with this, i will probably not be surprised. i think they have put to much into matt and his character to just yank the plug. however, they've done it before. but if they're allowing matt to stay on tv with a broken hand and still some-what compete, than i kinda doubt they're going to change anything. they're probably going to just take matt's injury, make it look good, than when he's healed, commence with the plans.

im hoping he goes nowhere. as much as i hate Matt Hardy i cant get enough at this point. his mic work is getting better week by week. i almost lost it when he called his brother a barbarian.

he's a good heel for how he's still seemingly the same Matt Hardy from before and makes facial expressions that make you believe he knows when he's done something wrong and is actually thinking about it as he does it..he's def convincing. his character def has more depth to it than Jeff's right now which is a shame because im more of a Jeff fan

I can see Hardy milking this as long as he can just like Cowboy Bob Orton. It will add a new dimension to his heel character and I believe for the short term it will work quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back