KOTR Tournament on RAW

i think it is nice of them to bring back the king of the ring tournament, but i think the idea of having only 8 people in it is very lame. i agree it should be a 3 or 4 raw show tournament like have 4 or 5 matches each show that goes towards the KOTR tourney, and then maybe on the last night have the 2 semifinalist matches and the final match. That way it would get a big pop from the crowd also and u will would be looking forward to each week of who was going to fight and who was going to advance and actually have a KOTR bracket. we all know it isnt going to be nothing like this, but it would be a lot better. I agree with some of you tho, I think Kennedy is going to get the crown on this one and get a major heel push.

Well, coming from a Kennedy fan I can only HOPE that they will actually PUSH Kennedy. Now, the whole Idea of the KOTR is good, and I REALLY STILL WISH IT WAS A PAY-PER-VIEW, but anywho, as long as they don't have someone win and then be forgotten, I really don't care who wins.

But Here 3 Things That Would Piss Me Off:

1.) Jeff Hardy Winning- This would really upset me because, like Orton last year, he wouldn't get a full suspension after violating a company policy. And not only that, it makes Hardy seem like he can't be beaten.

2.) The Winner Getting The "King" Gimmick- Remember King Booker? What a lousy waste of time that was, and also a waste of talent. Because to me, it seems like Booker is STILL a good wrestler. [Of Course That is on TNA...] I don't think it will happen again, but if it should, you might as well throw that superstars carrer out the window.

3.) A Young Talent NOT Winning It- Why? Because. Do you think Triple H or The Undertaker really NEED another push? I don't. And with the endless amount of wasted talent that the WWE Posseses, (i.e. Kennedy, Morrison, MVP, ect.) it would be a shame to see this Tournament go to waste on a pre-established Superstar.

Just My Opinions Though. And This Monday, I hope to see a new King Crowned. AND HIS NAME WILL BE...

KING KENNEDY..........KENNEDY!!

MrKennedy_TurnUpTheTrouble.jpg

KENNEDY4PRES

God damn this is so much bullshit Kennedy isnt going ot win the kotr because of his movie behind emeny lines 3 and he doesnt even have a rivarly going on right now! shit ur whole post is BULLSHIT..... BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!1

King Kennedy sort of has a ring to it... wouldn't be surprised if it happens, and I can see him taking on the whole "King" character, being all stuck up and shit like he usually is

also, if he used "King Ken Kennedy", it would set up a great rivalry with Cryme Tyme (H)

God damn this is so much bullshit Kennedy isnt going ot win the kotr because of his movie behind emeny lines 3 and he doesnt even have a rivarly going on right now! shit ur whole post is BULLSHIT..... BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!1

The fact that he doesn't have a current rivalry or storyline going on is the perfect excuse to give him the King of the Ring...so he can have something to do.

And the movie isn't a factor anymore as WrestleZone reported that Kennedy is going to make his return on tonight's Raw.

After reading that Kennedy will appear on raw tonight it seems pretty damn obvious that he'll end up winning it, which is probably the best thing to do with the tournament other than possibly having MVP win it or someone else like Morrison (but GOD, not the miz!). Although MVP and Morrison probably won't win it just because of the facts that Morrison is still being held back by his tag team championship partnership with you know who and MVP is still feuding with Hardy, which might make Hardy look a bit weak during the rest of their feud if MVP was the next KOTR. So yeah, ALL HAIL KING KENNEDY.............KENNEDY!

it would be nice if they decided to surprise everyone and have someone like Shelton Benjamin win this thing. We've all gone through it before, but dude is one of the most gifted athletes in the WWE and has been so close to big pushes in the past, so why not start it off now?

But realistically, the winner I feel will be Kennedy. He's not tied to any feud now and it would be a good way to sort of renew the character and reestablish his push that's been a year-plus in the works.

My second pick would be Matt Hardy just because it's time the dude got some notoriety and became more than just an oft-injured, under-appreciated, brother to a "superstar."

i think that the eight men will be carlito, jericho, mark henry, finlay, shelton benjamin, hbk, mvp, and kennedy. i chose these 8, because they're the good but forgotten superstars of wwe who are most likely to get a push, besides jericho, mvp and hbk, who are semi-main eventers who are just missing a little something in their push. anyway it will be kennedy over finlay in the finals for five reasons. 1. retaliation for the brutal shilliealeah beating six or seven weeks back. 2. it would set up a backlash match, who thinks that kennedy or finlay, let alone both will miss a pay-per-view? 3. king kennedy just sounds good 4. kennedy deserves a push 5. they would have no choice but 2 give kennedy more mic time.

I like the idea them bringing back the KOTR tournament. But I wish they would do it with a bigger buildup. I wish they would have had it on all 3 shows over a 2-3 week period. Something along the lines of each show doing a mini tournament, thus getting more people involved and the winner of each mini tournament facing off in the finals at a ppv in a triple threat match. I would like to see Kennedy represent Raw, Matt Hardy or MVP represent Smackdown and Shelton Benjamin or Elijah Burke represent ECW. Give the winner (Kennedy) a monster push like they did with Lesnar afer winning the '02' tournament and build their push all summer and culminate it with a main event and world title win at Summerslam. But why would they want to do something that actual wreslting fans want to see. So they keep feeding us the same crap over and over and the same feuds over and over again. I am sick of watching the same thing over and over, they need to build some new talents, because I don't think they have ever fully recovered from the departures of Stone Cold, The Rock and even Mick Foley. The KOTR tournament is a perfect way to build a monster push. Most of the top guys right now (HBK, HHH, Taker, Kane, Edge) have all been there for years. "The new 3" as I like to call them (Cena, Orton and Batista) are not Austin, Rock or Foley. They need to build more main eventers and do it the right way. Let the fans decide. I am all for the KOTR return, just do not mess it up and give us an already established, top guy as our king!! And for the love of god do not give us a "kingly" gimmick!!!!!!!!!!

With the announcement of the huge 8 man tag match it would seem a midcarder is set to win kotr and the subsequent push that comes with it.

kennedy probably has it. He's been off of raw filming for 5 weeks, it would be an excellent return win.

I am really glad that WWE has decided to use KOTR to push a mid-carder. I previously stated in another thread that MVP would win. However, after thinking about this and noticing the KOTR interviews on WWE.com, I no longer believe MVP will win. It would not make sense to have him win it then lose the US title at Backlash. It would make him look weak. Therefore, my new winner of KOTR is Mr. Kennedy. Only for the fact that he needs it.

Outside of criticizing the entire episode of Raw (which, in short, I felt was incredibly boring and was booked horribly), since this isn't the thread for it, my main thought about how the KOTR went down....

"Bullshit."

Can someone please explain to me what idiot was responsible for what we saw tonight? We start off great...Jericho vs MVP, legitimate match with two guys who could win it. It has a legitimate finish, albeit MVP looked a little weak tapping out and it probably would've been better suited if he was pinned via a Codebreaker "out of nowhere". At the very least though, the ending was good in that it wasn't a run-in or a DQ, which I expected to happen.

CM Punk versus Matt Hardy. Ook...I can deal with it, but it seems a little weird to put two faces together, and the fans in the audience seemed to agree with that statement, as they didn't know who to cheer for, so throughout the entire match, it was mostly silent. Punk wins. Yeah, he's at a better position in the hierarchy than Hardy is right now, makes sense. Doesn't make much sense that he's in the tournament, due to having the MITB, though. Let this one slide.

Then what happens...Khali versus Finlay. Why? Was there a point in having Khali in this match just to hurt Finlay? Why couldn't Finlay have scored the pinfall over someone like Elijah Burke or Shelton Benjamin? (And before anyone says "We needed to see Khali so he and Big Show could have another stare down, that way the audience remembers that they have a feud as well", this is Raw, not Smackdown, so its not necessary, and even if they really had to do a Khali segment, why didn't they just have a Khali squash match in place of the boring as hell Carlito/Holly match, which, again, we've seen 100 times?)

Then, the biggest slap in the face. Hornswoggle is in the tournament. I can't stress "what the FUCK?" more..but...WTF. I know the WWE wants to market to kids. I get it. Its crammed down my throat every week by having Hornswoggle bury your superstars through water gun antics and slapstick bullshit like that. You throw the midget in the Royal Rumble match...for some reason. Now he's taking up a space that you could've given to Morrison, Kennedy, Burke, Benjamin, Kofi, the Miz, freakin ANYBODY.

Jericho versus Punk. At least its a legitimate match. Can't really find too much of a fault here, so I won't bitch about it. Credit where credit is due.

Finlay versus Regal. The only thing I can see coming out of this is a feud between the two. But that brings up the question...why didn't they just have Finlay versus Regal in the first round, have Regal responsible for Finlay's injury, and start the feud from there? Wouldn't that have made more sense?

CM Punk versus Regal. Punk, the Money in the Bank holder, taps out to the General Manager who had an ok showing against Orton last week but before that was being used, along with Coach, to get their asses handed to them by Hornswoggle. For the record, I don't hate Regal, I just don't see why they wanted to give this to him instead of someone that could run with it. To me, its the equivalent of giving Stevie Richards the United States title or something "just because he didn't have anything else to do, and now he does".

So really...what was the point? Did the King of the Ring accomplish any of the following:
1. Add to the MVP/Hardy feud?
2. Add to the Khali feud?
3. Add to the Batista/Jericho/HBK feud?
4. Give an up-and-comer a push towards the main event?
5. Entertain?

I bring up that last one because I don't think it honestly did. Was the crowd going nuts? I didn't hear it. The loudest pop of the night, it seemed, was when Lillian announced that the first match of the night was a Quarter-Finals match. The whole reasoning behind the political angle was to get more people to watch the show that might not have normally done it, true? So if you're trying to get new viewers to the show, wouldn't you want to showcase your best talent? You know, the guys that do amazing things in the ring, carry themselves very well in matches, have you wondering "jeez..how'd he do that"? Guaranteed, if someone that wasn't familiar with the WWE and, by proxy, the garbage that we've been getting lately in some aspects, if they were to tune in to this 3 hour episode for the political angle...they won't be watching it anymore. The political angle wasn't clever, it wasn't funny, and it didn't accomplish anything. Then they sit through matches where a giant who can't speak English smacks a guy's leg on a pole repetitively until a big guy comes out and they walk a circle around the ring, followed by a midget being beaten in like 7 seconds.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the entire King of the Ring tournament was outshined in class, execution, and most importantly PURPOSE by THE DIVAS SEGMENT.

What a terrible, terrible waste of time. What a terrible, terrible waste of talent. What a terrible, terrible slap in the face to the King of the Ring tournament. Watch out next year, folks, cause if things continue, with Punk winning the Money in the Bank, Regal winning a botched King of the Ring, and pushes going to a midget over the future of the business, then its likely that they'll book Nunzio to win the Royal Rumble.

You know i think i would of been fine with all of the Bullshit that braught Regal to the finals, if he had ended up facing Jericho with Jericho winning it. cause unless they have some sort of big plan for Regal to do with Winning it, this was all an utter waste of time =-/

That being said, i at least like that Regal has a decent accomplishmeant to add to his career in the wwe since he was never really given much no matter how good of an actual wreslter he was

So entering the KOTR everyone was talking about who could win, what young star could be elevated, could it be King Kennedy, or maybe King Morrison, those seemed to be two popular picks, but wait neither of them were even in this thing? Instead we get William Regal as the KOTR, the general manager of Raw wins KOTR? Now dont get me wrong, I dont have a problem with Regal, he is actually pretty good in the ring, but I just dont see them doing anything with him...

This looks like a case were WWE had already decided they were having a three hour Raw, wanted to push the draft back til after Backlash, so they decided to do a KOTR tournament. Then when it came down to it, they decided they didn't want to have another "King" figure, so they had Regal get it. I mean seriously, every week he might walk around with the robe and/or crown, may talk about it, but is he getting a main event push, highly unlikely. When it was all said and done, this was a waste of time, it didn't do anything to imporve the program over the next couple months, didn't do anything to elevate a star, it accomplished absolutely nothing.

Really dumb. Regal's gimmick is basically that of royalty anyway. This really does nothing except allow Regal to say "now I truly am the king." But given that he made Punk tap, and Punk is the MITB holder, doesn't that make Regal a main event caliber championship contender by default? This entire tournament was done so terribly (as was this entire RAW, once of the worst RAWs ever).

I know he's in the oh so important tag title race but how hilarious would King Santino have been?

So entering the KOTR everyone was talking about who could win, what young star could be elevated, could it be King Kennedy, or maybe King Morrison, those seemed to be two popular picks, but wait neither of them were even in this thing? Instead we get William Regal as the KOTR, the general manager of Raw wins KOTR? Now dont get me wrong, I dont have a problem with Regal, he is actually pretty good in the ring, but I just dont see them doing anything with him...

This looks like a case were WWE had already decided they were having a three hour Raw, wanted to push the draft back til after Backlash, so they decided to do a KOTR tournament. Then when it came down to it, they decided they didn't want to have another "King" figure, so they had Regal get it. I mean seriously, every week he might walk around with the robe and/or crown, may talk about it, but is he getting a main event push, highly unlikely. When it was all said and done, this was a waste of time, it didn't do anything to imporve the program over the next couple months, didn't do anything to elevate a star, it accomplished absolutely nothing.

I'd rep you, but it says I still can't.

I can only hope that the draft comes soon enough and we start getting some better storylines. I agree, though, that this might have actually been slated for the draft, but they decided that they wanted to drag out some of the major feuds an extra month or so. Yawn. We'll probably get Finlay/Regal for a month because of this, now. Both guys are credible, and they're better wrestlers than a lot of others, but neither of them really draw my attention, and if Hornswoggle is involved...which he will be, ugh....it'll just make this the monthly "feud that bores the shit out of me in every way possible". I thought that's why they brought JBL back...

OMG, WWE what were you thinking??? Very poor tournament, im still shacking my head in shame. First of all, why in the hell put Hornswoggle or Khali in the damn thing?? They have not place in it, they dont desaerve a push and their in their for no damn reason, but no, wwe still puts them in, stupitity at its finest ladies and gentlemen. Whats Regal beating the hell out of Hornswoggle prove??? Nothing. Khali had no right either, he should of just beat the hell out of someone else outside the tounrament, geez! WWE you are really stupid, you have guys like Morrision, Benjamin, Kennedy, Burke, Carlito all these great young talent, that could of been in and elavated one of them to the next level, no, they make Regal win the damn thing, im not saying anything bad about Regal, but what does it prove by making Regal win when he is the GM of Raw and he beat a midget and a hurt Finlay to do it? It proves JACK!!! I was fine with Hardy, Y2J, MVP in it but once Khali entered it just stuffed it up.

WWE you had a perfect chance here to give the spotlight for one night to the young stars, to show what they can do, but what do they do??? STUFF IT UP, like they always do. Not Impressed! Lets hope they dont stuff the draft up, God Help Us

I hate the WWE. This has officially done it for me. Let's recap why the WWE sucks so much now:

1) They destroy talent.
a) Randy Orton - Would have been a great champion if he still had his cocky little pose and cocky attitude. Now he is this boring robotic character with absolutely no charisma. Great performer. What a waste.
b) Hornswoggle - Get rid of this guy. How is he beating wwe superstars left and right? Oh I get it, WWE just wants to ruin the credibility of all their superstars.
c) CHRIS JERICHO SHOULD HAVE NEVER COME BACK HAD HE KNOWN THE WWE WAS GOING TO TREAT HIM LIKE THIS. As far as I can remember, Jericho has not only lost most of his major matches since his return(with the exception of Jeff Hardy...but there was no choice since hardy was being suspended) but they do not use him for what he is best known for...HIS ABILITY ON THE MICROPHONE. Has anyone watch jericho in WCW or during his first WWE run to see how boring he has become. They've made him into a complete loser.
d) Triple H - The man has lost all his title opportunities since his "triumphant" return. They build him up so much...overcomming all these obstacles and he always manages to lose at the end.
e) John Cena. Enough said.
f) WILLIAM REGAL = KING OF THE RING. The general manager of RAW who's first match in a LONG ASS TIME was last week beats CM Punk. Well that makes cm punk lose all credibility. I mean common, William Regal is as boring and uncharismatic as they get

This is what i have to say about the status of the wwe and the current kotr. Hey Vince, look man. I know you are a genius and all, you have beaten all comers thus far. But just because you are a genius that doesnt mean you can just not try. Your company is an embarassment and the product you put out is trash. What? Is it not worth having a quality product if you have no real competition? What about the fans you rich smarmy douche? You know, the ones who watch your programs, buy your event tickets and buy merchandise?? We demand quality wrestling with quality gimmicks. Whoever the writing staff is needs to be shit canned right away!!

From looking forward to seeing this, to totally being ill. I knew the fix was in as soon as Regal was in it. He obviously paid Khali to get DQ'd and hurt Finlay. First match was good. Loved that Chris made MVP tap. Second match, had no purpose but to continue the Jericho/Punk feud that is brewing. I figured Punk would win this one, and I have to say I think it was one of his cleanest yet. It was very well done, and he's getting some better moves lately. They obviously are pushing him large. However, having him tap to Regal was just wrong.

I'm seeing a pattern lately folks, can you? Former wrestlers getting jealous and coming back to action. JBL, Matt Morgan(TNA), and now Regal....wtf is going on here?

By far the worst 3hrs I've seen to date. The only saving grace was the 8-man tag. Though, that outcome was pretty much predictable. They did end on a good note though with UNDERTAKER'S double choke slam.

*hope this was detailed enough*

Few points to make:

1. Why wouldn't Khali be in it? He is a former champ after all, plus we all know that wrestling ability is not a factor in pushes in the WWE.
2. Hornswoggle? Yeah why put him in if you're trying to entertain? But having Regal (the overall winner) fight him is typical. I can't remember a KOTR where the winner had to fight ALL three qualifiers, or where one wasn't a jobber, or every other qualifier had some form of injury. Plus he's a heel GM, what did you expect?
3. Punk's momentum? I couldn't care less personally, and why does it matter? Wins/losses mean NOTHING! Plus he'd already suffered 'injury' in the WOJ in the previous match, whereas Regal had destroyed Hornswoggle, and maimed an injured Finlay so he was fresh compared to Punk who'd wrestled two experienced, well rounded mid-carders. And...
4. You didn't seriously think he'd win MITB AND KOTR as well did you?

Otherwise, totally agree that this was a wasted opportunity for other floundering mid-carders, and should go back to being a separate PPV. And what exactly are they gonna do to push Regal who's the fn' GM? King Kennedy or King Carlito sound so much better don't you think?

I can't remember a KOTR where the winner had to fight ALL three qualifiers, or where one wasn't a jobber, or every other qualifier had some form of injury.

Bret Hart in 1993. He went through Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect then Bam Bam Bigelow. However he was a face. So perhaps you want a heel who's went through great odds?

Mr. Ass in 1999. He defeated Ken Shamrock, Kane then X-Pac. During this time, Shamrock was injured however noone figured Billy Gunn would ever get beyond Kane. And X-Pac was just as 'tired' as Gunn, so their match was dead even.

Still want more?

Triple H. in 1997. He went through Ahmed Johnson, who was definately more over as a face than Triple H. was a heel. Then Mankind, who was being built from a heel into a face. Noone wants to think of Triple H. as an underdog because of how big he is now.. but back in 97, the guy was nothing more than a snobbish gimmicked midcarder.

I could even continue with Ken Shamrock in 1998. He went through practically the whole Nation of Domination just to get to the Semi Finals, where he defeated Jeff Jarrett then The Rock.

The overall point is, there have been winners who went through tough matches to win. Bret Hart is the best example, face or not, its still happened. Furthermore, Regal wasn't suppose to "win fairly." If the winner was gonna be someone who won after fighting intensely tough matches, it would've been Jericho defeating M.V.P., Punk, then Regal. Or Punk defeating Hardy, Jericho then Regal.

very dissappointed in this KOTR. half the competitors where deserving to be there ( y2j
mvp,matt hardy,cm punk even finley) but then khali? hornswoggle and regal? C'MON!!!!!

what about umaga, santino, sheldon benjamin, dh smith? and actually make the KOTR look like a decent tournament.

and so what is the plan now with regal? to give him a major push? i think its a little to late for that one...and i dont mind william regal, but i dont see him as someone who should be getting a big push in wwe right now.

the first 2 matches where good, then the cm punk vs y2j w as good, but that was it...TIME TO STEP IT UP WWE

Mr. Ass in 1999. He defeated Ken Shamrock, Kane then X-Pac. During this time, Shamrock was injured however noone figured Billy Gunn would ever get beyond Kane. And X-Pac was just as 'tired' as Gunn, so their match was dead even.

OneBigWill i'll apologise for neglecting Bret and HHH's wins but in '98 the final match Rock's tap out was made to look dubious, questioning Shamrock's win and in '99 yes Shamrock got the crap kicked outta him by Steve Blackman before Shamrock's tournament match with Mr. Ass, but im pretty sure Big Show interfered in his match with Kane as well.

this is the reason TNA is going to do the same thing WCW did to the WWF. Until this happends, until TNA's ratings top WWE it is only going to get worse. Now, when TNA does top the charts... we will see some of the best WWE shows in a very long time. They will have great competition, different style of matches (cage matches,ladder matches, etc.) which you dont see in the WWE much anymore on FREE tv such as monday night raw and friday night smackdown, and a lot of championship matches. The sad part about it is we wont see anything like this until WWE becomes 2nd place or loses the spotlight. That is the only time i think Vince calls a meeting with the Staff and says "Hey something has got to change here guys" I mean honestly i have been a WWF/WWE fan since i was old enough to open my eyes(not that i didnt watch WCW and others), but if TNA Impact and WWE's Monday Night Raw came on at the same time, as of right now i would be watching TNA.... it is much more interesting right now by far. So let's all hope and pray that this tragedy happens soon to the WWE, because it will came back quick and better than ever.

very dissappointed in this KOTR. half the competitors where deserving to be there ( y2j
mvp,matt hardy,cm punk even finley) but then khali? hornswoggle and regal? C'MON!!!!!

what about umaga, santino, sheldon benjamin, dh smith? and actually make the KOTR look like a decent tournament.

and so what is the plan now with regal? to give him a major push? i think its a little to late for that one...and i dont mind william regal, but i dont see him as someone who should be getting a big push in wwe right now.

the first 2 matches where good, then the cm punk vs y2j w as good, but that was it...TIME TO STEP IT UP WWE

why shouldn't william regal get a push? Booker T is slightly older than Regal, and he managed to get a push to the gold. Add to that, Regal is easily one of the most talented wrestlers WWE has going at the min. Simply because he has chosen not to wrestle as much in recent years doesn't take away from the fact that william regal, along with finlay are very talented wrestlers. Hell, Regal made Punk look good despite the fact that all he did was land some kicks in the match.

Sure Hornswoggle was there simply to further the Regal/finlay semi, but he served his purpose. You wanted Santino (in a feud with the tag champs), a jobber (DH), Umaga who's good enough to go into the title seen without winning this in the tournament? Why? They wouldn't win. Shelton, Burke or Morrison maybe, but not those three

and as far as the first half of the draw goes, the booking of CM Punk to destroy Matt Hardy (let's face it, Matt was hardly in the match) did nothing for his credibility going into his US title match. at least a run-in would have spared Matt's momentum.

Punk/Jericho was a good match, but Punk's already got his shot secure and a feud with Jericho is a far better option for both than having Punk get buried by HHH because he's rising too quickly.

Regal deserved his win, and tainted by a few easy matches it may be...but he's a HEEL!!! He'll gloat over spectacular wins and it'll be even more instant heat for the Naughty One

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back