• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kingdom Hearts

Mr. HD

High Definition
I've been on this forum for a while now and I've read about Final Fantasy and whatnot and some games, but nobody's brought up Kingdom Hearts, so I figured I will.

For those, not familiar with Kingdom Hearts, it's a Disney/Square-Enix Crossover along with Final Fantasy Characters. You could call it a game where Disney meets Final Fantasy.

The story is a lot more complicated that it sounds. So, I'll let this explain it for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts

For those, who know what it is, where do you stand on it?

Do you like it? Hate it?

Explain.

When I first heard about this game coming out before it did, it sounded like the stupidest thing either company could do. How the hell would Disney and Final Fantasy mix? I have no clue, but they did. For some reason, despite a mix of many realistic and very cartoonish characters, everything in the series seems to blend quite well. The Disney worlds serve as brilliant settings for the games' levels, and the Action RPG style is incredibly fun while being pretty simple and easy to get into. While it feels like a button-masher at first, the subtleties of the quick-select spells and items, and what abilities to equip for what battles, provide plenty of room for strategy. I loved the first game, thought the second was very good (not as good as the first), and am waiting on a third. I haven't touched the handheld ones other than Chain of Memories, so if anyone could tell me which are worth playing I would appreciate it.

When I first heard and read about Kingdom Hearts, I was wondering if it was a joke. Combining Disney and Final Fantasy was unheard of. Not to mention the hero's weapon was an oversized key. But I was very pleasantly surprised when I played Kingdom Hearts for the first time (initially for shits and giggles) and thought combining Disney and Final Fantasy ended up meshing together better than I initially predicted. I actually enjoyed the story and simple combat system. I was even more pleasantly surprised when I was able to fight Sephiroth. In the first game, I managed to beat him on my first go with Sora in the level 50s range which shocked me considering I had an even harder time fighting him in the sequel (something most others didn't). I think the series gets a lot of crap. A lot of my friends (particularly those who are "hardcore" FF fans) hate on it more than I think it deserves.

I haven't played Chain of Memories on the DS but I have it on PS2. I'm not a very big fan of that game because the combat system is quite different with the cards and all that. It's difficult for me. I also own 358/2 Days on DS which is also pretty fun. Overall, I do enjoy the series.

When I first heard about this game coming out before it did, it sounded like the stupidest thing either company could do. How the hell would Disney and Final Fantasy mix? I have no clue, but they did. For some reason, despite a mix of many realistic and very cartoonish characters, everything in the series seems to blend quite well. The Disney worlds serve as brilliant settings for the games' levels, and the Action RPG style is incredibly fun while being pretty simple and easy to get into. While it feels like a button-masher at first, the subtleties of the quick-select spells and items, and what abilities to equip for what battles, provide plenty of room for strategy. I loved the first game, thought the second was very good (not as good as the first), and am waiting on a third. I haven't touched the handheld ones other than Chain of Memories, so if anyone could tell me which are worth playing I would appreciate it.

Other than Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days, I say play the recent one that came out and that's Birth By Sleep for the PSP. The games made after KH1 were good, but still disappointing, but this game is the second best game released for the series. It sets up the whole story Before Kingdom Hearts happens.

The gameplay mechanics aren't simple. It combines KH1 with Chain of Memories with the Command Deck System. It's not insanely easy as KH2 was, it's actually quite a challenge.

I gave it a 5 out of 5. It IS a bit on the long side, but I say it's worth it. Give it a try.

When I first heard and read about Kingdom Hearts, I was wondering if it was a joke. Combining Disney and Final Fantasy was unheard of. Not to mention the hero's weapon was an oversized key. But I was very pleasantly surprised when I played Kingdom Hearts for the first time (initially for shits and giggles) and thought combining Disney and Final Fantasy ended up meshing together better than I initially predicted. I actually enjoyed the story and simple combat system. I was even more pleasantly surprised when I was able to fight Sephiroth. In the first game, I managed to beat him on my first go with Sora in the level 50s range which shocked me considering I had an even harder time fighting him in the sequel (something most others didn't). I think the series gets a lot of crap. A lot of my friends (particularly those who are "hardcore" FF fans) hate on it more than I think it deserves.

I haven't played Chain of Memories on the DS but I have it on PS2. I'm not a very big fan of that game because the combat system is quite different with the cards and all that. It's difficult for me. I also own 358/2 Days on DS which is also pretty fun. Overall, I do enjoy the series.

I enjoy the series very much, but I feel as if they release too many sub-games and whatnot. I understand because there's different parts of the story that need to be explained, but there are WAY too many sub-games, but the new one coming out (Dream Drop Distance) looks to be the last game before they start working on KH3 and it's been 7 years since KH2 came out. I can't wait to see the big payoff.

I think rather highly of the series due to the fact that it is a great mix of two legendary brands in Disney and Square that no one thought would generate a result that could work, but it did. I disliked the original game at first but upon giving it a second chance a couple of years later, I realized how special it was. From a Marketing perspective, creating this series was brilliant because it gives a chance to introduce the Disney fanbase to Final Fantasy as well as its characters. This in turn might create some interest in the other games by Square and thus create new fans. It works both ways. Gamers who might not have been as interested in Disney get a chance in Kingdom Hearts to meet some of the characters they missed out on, and generate an interest in checking out those films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back