Jim Ross being replaced? Again?

Prax

I used to be a big deal
Wrestlezone is reporting that when Jim Ross's current contract expired this fall, there is a possibility he will be replaced as the voice of RAW by Michael Cole, despite recently being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

What is this, like the 7 time in the last several years rumors have popped up of JR being replaced? And a couple of times it actually has happened. JR must hold some sort of record for most times fired and rehired by anyone anywhere.

Anyway, I don't know if it's true (is anything reported on wrestling "news" sites ever true anymore?), but what are everyone's thoughts if it is?

Michael Cole is certainly a professional and I respect him, but Jim Ross is a legend! If he can't stand the travel and wants to retire or do less shows, that's his prerogative, but he'll certainly be missed if he does indeed leave.

What's the point. They'll only bring him back when they realise Coles useless. Michael Coles appeared better recently because JBL brings out the best in him. Lawler has been on autopilot for years now, he wont question Cole and make him into a better announcer like JBL does.

Over on jrsbarbq.com, JR himself has addressed these rumours recently.

His comments are that he will continue to do what he loves doing, that being announcing RAW, until someone stops him or it is no longer possible for him to do so. He has dismissed any news of his replacement as being nothing more than rumours.

He seems focused on continuing this career, even whilst in the process of setting up his JR's Family Bar-B-Q restaurant in Nelson.

The only way I see JR not renewing his contract when it comes up is if they don't offer it to him. I personally don't see that happening and would be majorly disappointed if he is not re-signed.

JR is an absolute legend and one of the best, if not the best. If he doesn't continue past this year he will be surely missed. Monday nights (or Wednesdays Down Under) will NEVER be the same if he goes

So it's just another case of a Wrestling "news" website making assumptions based on things they assume to be facts from what they hear from their "sources"?

OK, I get it.

I hope you're right, Ross is one of the main reasons I don't just skip raw altogether these days.s

Basically Prax.

Funnily enough wrestlezone reports this, as well as what JR writes in his blogs - go figure.

Either way, you can't argue with what comes straight from the man himself

You can however sometimes question if it really is JR writing it... I know that sounds stupid to say, but nowadays, people go online and pretend to be someone they aren't so its perfectly easy for someone in the WWE to be Ghost Writing JR's BBQ blog. Adding in things that need to be addressed and stuff like that. If it was an audio clip of him saying that, I'd shut my mouth right now.

Regardless though, I hope to hell that JR is not replaced by Cole... Cole can barely keep his voice through PPVs... JBL is solid gold on the horn and exactly like Jake said, Cole only sounds good because JBL MAKES HIM sound good. Jerry Lawler... wtf happened to the days when McMahon was a genius in the eyes of the King? I miss those days when King made you want to choke him for rooting for McMahon and calling JR and idiot and stuff like that, lol. Raw commentary needs that back, because hearing JR and King fight was sometimes the highlight if nothing else happened.

Now that I think about it, I know why King doesn't cheer for bad guys anymore, he probably wants to wrestle again sometime soon. Can't have King be a heel during a wrestling match. *sigh*

As for JR he apparently signs yearly contract because he doesn't know when he wants to retire, JR actually stated on his website that thats what he is doing, So his contract is always running out.

This would be the stupidest idea ever, and I don't think WWE will go through with it until JR is dead. It's obvious just from the reaction he got from the fans when he was announced for the HOF that everybody loves the guy. He's undoubtedly the best play by play man of all time. Further more, ever single new commentator they get sucks horribly at their job. Jonathon Coachman, Todd Grisham, absolute garbage. Atleast JBL is still funny sometimes when he's not being a racist prick.

If JR is replaced I hope it is not by Michael Cole. I rather listen to nails on a chalk board then have Michael Cole announcing Raw. Even worse I rather listen to Macho Man announce again.

XFear, I agree with you, although I kinda like Todd Grisham because he's a team player and does whatever is asked of him.

But we have to realize JR has to retire someday. Maybe it's time they find a suitable replacement. Or at least start looking for one.

Mark my words Jr will be there come next WM,they will of coursr renew his contract just by fear of him going to TNA or something simlir,couple that with the fact JR is one of the best Play by play guys there is and after the last fiasco the last time Jr was sacked.

As far as replacements go I think WWE have already found the person they want in Todd Grisham,that maybe right choice it maybe not who know's.

Michael Cole sucks. you could put a pylon in his place and JBL and the pylon would call a better smackdown than Michael Cole would.

JR isn't getting any younger. He should be allowed to do the job as long as he wants, but there needs to be someone groomed to replace him. The are of the color commentator is dying in the world of wrestling. Joey Styles is good at what he does, but it's not appropriate for the WWE style. Michael Cole is someone knowledgable, but good lord he screws moves up worse then Batista. Mike Tenay and Don West are horrible. Johnathon Coachman has to high pitched of a voice to ever be considered great.

There is a giant hole. Cole will more then likely get switched to Raw, leaving room for a new Play by Play guy. Everyone send tapes now.

I think JR, King and JBL are the only really good commentators left at the moment in WWE. I agree with the fact that Don West and Mike Tenay are horrible. However I think Michael Cole is just plain average, and not that bad. Joey Styles and Tazz make a good pair in my opinion, Tazz is pretty funny and Joey Styles has a lot of knowledge of the business, even if he would be better screaming "OHHHH MY GOOODDDDD" :p.

I really hope JR doesn't leave, cause if he does that would probably mean Cole on Raw and Todd Grisham on Smackdown, which would be horrible. Grisham really doesn't have any charisma or talent... Having the very talented JBL could balance up to the commentating being "ok", but nothing better as long as JBL doesn't have a good partner. If JR were to leave, I would prefer seeing JBL at his place, he and King would have great charisma together. However the only problem is none of them are play-by-play guys.

I would be OK with it if JR left as long as Michael Cole didn't replace him. In my opinion, both JR and Cole have really annoying voices. If JR were to leave the WWE, I would expect Todd Grisham or Max Bertos would step up and announce for RAW. If Ernest Miller came back to announcing the WWE, I would mark the fuck out.

You can however sometimes question if it really is JR writing it... I know that sounds stupid to say, but nowadays, people go online and pretend to be someone they aren't so its perfectly easy for someone in the WWE to be Ghost Writing JR's BBQ blog. Adding in things that need to be addressed and stuff like that. If it was an audio clip of him saying that, I'd shut my mouth right now.

D.C, I understand where you're coming from with that comment, but I'll ask you - Have you ever read the blogs on jrsbarbq.com ?

I myself am a regular reader, and there is a lot of stuff that he puts in them that just have to make you believe that it is him. If you have a look, you'll know just what I mean. I personally think there's just to much insight for someone to be ghost-writing it.

I'm not saying it isn't possible that some deranged wannabe could write them, but go have a look - I'm pretty sure it's him.

JR is declining but I think this decision will be up to JR. I think the WWE would want to keep him while they can because he is still a legend in the announcing industry, and would be sorely missed. Cole will eventually be the play-by-play for Raw because he is a great announcer on SmackDown and they will be wanting to move him over sooner or later, but unless the WWE feels that JR is too old to be doing the job or JR himself feels it's time to let it go, we won't be seeing a replacement. These rumours will always come up because we all know JR doesn't have long left but again, I don't think he's going anywhere too fast, although the Hall of Fame induction could be a sign that the WWE is ready to wind down his career. It will be a sad day when JR finally ends his long commentary career and Raw just won't be the same, and I hope that day doesn't come soon.

i think cole needs to stay on smackdown, if they want smackdown to become a show that is still goin on in 10 yrs, they need something associated with it, like the voice of smackdown...michael cole, jr/king will always be the real voice of raw

I wouldn't take any internet sources word on it. Its like almost everything thats ever been said online about Jim Ross and his WWE status has been wrong.

If Cole commentates RAW I will be extremely annoyed. I am watching SD! right now while I try to clean and I am about to go crazy. I have only caught SD! a couple times in the last little bit but every time I have, the Undertaker is wrestling and he asks JBL "What is like to be in the ring with the Undertaker." Every daggon week. He sucks, so much. JBL is just as bad, I had a specific example earlier but I started tuning out while I gamed and forgot.

Keep JR! How stupid is WWE if they move JR? Were they not paying attention when they announced him for the HOF and the ovation he got on RAW? The show stopped for 5 minutes so people could clap for him. And he got a huge pop at Wrestlemania. Morons, Cole is no where near JR's level.

Eric Bischoff or Tony Schiavone were both fairly good announcers in their time as was Bobby Heenan but he sounds like a girl now what happened to The Brain?! They need to make Flair an announcer or something where he can feel important still and be a vital part of the show still.

Think about it...the single greatest promo guy in the business commentating and he could brag about being the 16 time world champ so therefore he HAS to know what he's talkin about

JR needs to do whats best for JR but I hope he stays for awhile at least.

The Brain had or has throat Cancer, so thats the reason for his voice sounding the way it does. I think he had part of his throat removed. It sucks, because he was amazing on the microphone. He was so good he makes The King look an amateur.

Personally I don't even like the King anymore. They've made him wishy washy. I think JBL being on color over King being on color on their respective shows is one of the main reasons I'm more into smackdown now, as opposed to Raw.

I would hope if JR does retire sooner rather than later, he takes the King with him (and for all we know it would be a great way to send them off...) and both Smackdown! announcers move to raw.

But I think in order to be able to do that you would have to add a third member to either telecast in order to familiarize us with a new play-by-play guy (coach... Grish... someone new?) and bring in a big name to replace the guys on the B show.

Anyway, it's inevitable, but it'll be an interesting and probably necessary way to replace them and train new people.

A full 2 hour tribute show to at least JR... and maybe the King. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Wow that is a great idea Snoop, I never even thought about Flair as an announcer, that's a damn good idea. Greatest promo cutter of all time, he would be the absolute perfect heel announcer with the King, man they need Flair to start doing that now because his wrestling has left quite a bit to be desired from over the last few years.

I just wish Vince would honestly step down, but we know that's not going to happen until he's dead, and I don't wish death on anyone(except Bush). Like said before, all he cares about his image and its just all so superficial. What happened to the days of ugly-as-shit wrestlers in the ring? I honestly can't think of one wrestler on the roster who isn't marginally good looking. If Vince gave a shit about his true fans he wouldn't do this crap to us. Because the tweener fans who support Cena aren't going to be watching wrestling forever on the most part, but the marks and die hard fans will be forever.

I think we really need Shane O Mac to take over the reigns.

Wow that is a great idea Snoop, I never even thought about Flair as an announcer, that's a damn good idea. Greatest promo cutter of all time, he would be the absolute perfect heel announcer with the King, man they need Flair to start doing that now because his wrestling has left quite a bit to be desired from over the last few years.

I just wish Vince would honestly step down, but we know that's not going to happen until he's dead, and I don't wish death on anyone(except Bush). Like said before, all he cares about his image and its just all so superficial. What happened to the days of ugly-as-shit wrestlers in the ring? I honestly can't think of one wrestler on the roster who isn't marginally good looking. If Vince gave a shit about his true fans he wouldn't do this crap to us. Because the tweener fans who support Cena aren't going to be watching wrestling forever on the most part, but the marks and die hard fans will be forever.

I think we really need Shane O Mac to take over the reigns.

The problem with your issues here X, is that you overvalue the effect of the "die hard" fans. By definition, those fans, or us, if you will, as relatively small in number, a minority. That's the case pretty much anywhere. In politics, for instance, a extremist, such as an extremist left-winger or right-winger, or whatever, could be compared to a die hard wrestling fan, in that there are few of them but they made their voices heard much more than the casual fans.

If WWE started catering just to their die-hard fans... most of the casual fans would stop watching, and then they would get cancelled... and there wouldn't be any more wrestling available in a widespread form for us die hard fans... so, you see catering to us 100% is pretty much impossible, the way I see it.

Clearly the ratings are stable... people are watching. Which means that they're doing something relatively right when it comes to operating as a business, and I think that's key.

In the end... we're still watching, no? Guys like you and Kasey post all this negative and cynical stuff about WWE and their shows... but you still watch it.

lol What can I do Prax! I'm addicted!

Yeah I get your points though. But I think us "die hards" make up a whole lot more then you think, I mean look at promotions like ROH and TNA which thrive off of a solely die hard/mark wrestling audience. There are no casual fans at TNA shows, and they're doing excellent, they have a TV deal, monthly PPV's and are going to be around a damn long time from the looks of things. If anything, I think the casual wrestling fans have dropped off and are dropping off because the shows don't hold as much excitement as they once did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back