Is this going too far?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7121025.stm

Now I am all for open religion, but isnt this a bit ridiculous?

All that it is, si a teddy bear called Muhammed after a child in her class!

Holy crap, talk about too far. I think these people dove off the short bridge. All this, simply because she ALLOWED her students to name a Teddy Bear, Mohammad?! Forbid that they named the bear.. "Akmed" or "Osama."

Mohammad is a very nice name, to be honest. Out of all the arabic names, I'd say Mohammad is the best of them all, & thereby making it the most common. I somehow doubt tons of school children named the bear that, out of disgrace for religion.

And if anyone should be put in front of a firing squad, its the morons wanting it done to the Teacher. I mean, holy crap.. when religion causes this much friction, to the point of a deadly outcome, its no longer religion. Regardless of who or what anyone believes in.. I somehow doubt, any religious figure wants death to be brought forth.

So, to answer your question from my point of view.. yeah, it was just a bit too far gone.

You know, there are only so many times you can bite your lip and not say something. But this is fucking ridiculous. I know not all Muslims feel this way, but for God's sake, if you do feel this way, you are a sick fuck, religious beliefs or not.

It's okay for hard line muslims to protest and burn american Flags, burn crosses and be disrespectful of other peoples religions and countries, but the second, the second someone looks there way to retaliate with something, they are wanting to kill people.

Sick, that's all I can say, what a warped, disturbed culture. A teddy bear, honestly, a teddy bear. This intolerance is disgusting, and honestly, you read things like this and you just realize, there is no helping certain people. Truly sad.

I just read that, thats pathetic of them. And the worst part is, with all those mad people around, is she even safe once she gets out of prison? Are these people going to burn her home down or somthing? And what about the children?! Are these people going to try to hurt them as well? I just think the world is a fucked up place nowadays. Religion. It's basically all the ame thig, just a different way of going about it. And I can't see how, in anyways whatsoever, Religion = Riots.

That's all well and good. But if she isn't released soon then there will be trouble. Britain donates millions to Sudan each year. Withdraw the funding and that country is in even more trouble than it is now.

Didn't the kids name the teddy anyway? There's no logic in that.

You know, there are only so many times you can bite your lip and not say something. But this is fucking ridiculous. I know not all Muslims feel this way, but for God's sake, if you do feel this way, you are a sick fuck, religious beliefs or not.

It's okay for hard line muslims to protest and burn american Flags, burn crosses and be disrespectful of other peoples religions and countries, but the second, the second someone looks there way to retaliate with something, they are wanting to kill people.

Sick, that's all I can say, what a warped, disturbed culture. A teddy bear, honestly, a teddy bear. This intolerance is disgusting, and honestly, you read things like this and you just realize, there is no helping certain people. Truly sad.

Ok let me get one thing straight people are mixing religion with culture here, what these idiots are doing is nothing more religious then me burning someone for disobaying the bible, they are interpreting the quran wrong, and as a muslim myself i for one know that the quran teaches peace, it doesnt and i mean it doesnt preach hate or tells anyone to burn a teacher at the stake or send her to a firing squad, thats basic human stupidit!, since 7/7 i was treated like crap by people saying that they had the right due to the fact that i look like a muslim and when people say in discussions that muslims shouldnt do stuff like this i get annoyed, whoever kills without reason for defence, whomever takes someones life or even commits suicide, simple fact you go to hell, and what these people are doing is nothing short of disobaying everything that the quran teaches simple as

That's why I made sure to differentiate between "Normal" Muslims, and hardline Muslims. anytime a religious viewpoint is distorted, people die. Religion is a great good, but perverting religion to a wrongful will is perhaps the most dangerous weapon on the planet.

Believe me, it's not exclusive to Islam. Christianity burned people at the stake for simply not believing or proclaiming someone falsely to be a witch. It's just sad that you have a situation like this still in the world.

This lady is over there to help educate children, the children name a stuffed animal after their religious deity, because they are kids, and you have people wanting to kill the teacher, it's sick. The worst thing about it is, and it's not just Islam, but religion gets distorted for sick peoples own personal benefit, and this lady is trying to educate those ignorant people's children to stop the cycle, but they won't allow it.

That's why I made sure to differentiate between "Normal" Muslims, and hardline Muslims. anytime a religious viewpoint is distorted, people die. Religion is a great good, but perverting religion to a wrongful will is perhaps the most dangerous weapon on the planet.

Believe me, it's not exclusive to Islam. Christianity burned people at the stake for simply not believing or proclaiming someone falsely to be a witch. It's just sad that you have a situation like this still in the world.

This lady is over there to help educate children, the children name a stuffed animal after their religious deity, because they are kids, and you have people wanting to kill the teacher, it's sick. The worst thing about it is, and it's not just Islam, but religion gets distorted for sick peoples own personal benefit, and this lady is trying to educate those ignorant people's children to stop the cycle, but they won't allow it.

I couldnt agree with the statement mroe, but i wouldnt call these people muslims at all paul, the simple truth to this is that the reason we get all sorts of idiots like this is that our government (and many others) hand over weapons, the weapons trade is rampant and is what is fueling these idiots into taking lives and literally (playing god) and making stupid rules to punish people with if they dont fall in line, in order to do something we just need to pull out trade, or at least threaten it so that this woman can be saved.

Religion is such a funny thing.

In our paradoxal world of extremes, there are so many things we do and have that are thrown completely out of proportion the moment extremism is thrown into the mix. Love is an extreme that has caused us to have such an oxymoronic term as "crime of passion." Ego drives people to succeed but leads to vanity and paranoia. Anything out of moderation (except Vitamin C) is harmful.

Religion is the biggest culprit of this. As I stated in my post on Mr. Sam's religion thread, I am a proud and practicing Episcopalian. I am displeased when our more orthodox Christian bretheren from the Catholic side speak out against Homosexuality as a sin and try to legislate righteousness. Too often people allow their religious beliefs to define who they are. Religious extremism is history's #1 cause of war, death, murder, betrayl, etc. Need proof - see "The Crusades" and "The Holocaust."

This is another sad case. Let's examine through the text.

The protesters gathered in Martyrs Square, outside the presidential palace in the capital, many of them carrying knives and sticks.

First problem - the location is called "Martyrs Square." It's obviously a culture that embraces extremism and dying for a religious cause as something to be aspired to. That's the same thought process that made the lunatics who flew planes into the Trade Center think they were "heroes" and not "murderers."

According to some agencies, some of the protesters chanted: "Shame, shame on the UK", "No tolerance - execution" and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad".

Wow. Death to a woman who's kids named a stuffed animal a historically Muslim name? If that isn't extremism, I don't know what is. I truly wonder what type of education these people have. Many great thinkers have regarded education as the enemy of intolerance, but education that is based on religion certainly adds fuel to the fire. America isn't immune to this either - it started in Puritan times and even persisted through the Jim Crow Laws and sufferage in the south.

The federation's president, Ali Alhadithi, said: "What we have here is a case of cultural misunderstandings, and the delicacies of the matter demonstrate that it was not the intention of Gillian Gibbons to imply any offence against Islam or Muslims.

What some fail to understand is that extremists do not deliniate between intentional and unintentional. Perception of offence is an instantaneous guilty sentence, and when it comes to religion, often the perscribed penalty is execution - making an example of somebody.

I can only hope this ends with the teacher being released and moved back to the UK where she can be safe. She is in a hostile environment and will not be safe. Now let's hope people out there are silently praying for her safety, rather than audibly praying for her death.

This is NOT a slur on religion, as I can see some misinterpretations perhaps taking place.

I agree that prejudices against any religious and ethnic group is unreasonable, but I do disagree that this is a religious act. As IrishCanadian said, this is an act of extremism, and - as Max stated - this could also be a simple misinterpretation. Personally, I'm amazed they're not ordering the children to be stoned to death or whatever. They committed the crime in conjunction with the teacher did they not? The only argument in their defense is that they simply do not understand what is the problem, but the same can be said for the teacher, can it not? This is a ridiculous case, no doubt, and one that the tabloids in Britain have been twisting to create Islamic prejudice, as they always do. Thanks Daily Mail!

The problem here is that the prophet Muhammed is as dear a figure to Islam as Jesus is to Christianity, perhaps by an even greater degree. I forget the details, but I believe that there was a kind of variation on the Christian rule on not worshiping false idols, in that no image may depict Muhammed in case it may distract from the worship of God. The fact that people hold this so dearly is a contradiction in itself, if I understand correctly. This teddy bear business is morally blurry at best, particularly for those as uninformed as the British public.

This is NOT a slur on religion, as I can see some misinterpretations perhaps taking place.

I agree that prejudices against any religious and ethnic group is unreasonable, but I do disagree that this is a religious act. As IrishCanadian said, this is an act of extremism, and - as Max stated - this could also be a simple misinterpretation. Personally, I'm amazed they're not ordering the children to be stoned to death or whatever. They committed the crime in conjunction with the teacher did they not? The only argument in their defense is that they simply do not understand what is the problem, but the same can be said for the teacher, can it not? This is a ridiculous case, no doubt, and one that the tabloids in Britain have been twisting to create Islamic prejudice, as they always do. Thanks Daily Mail!

The problem here is that the prophet Muhammed is as dear a figure to Islam as Jesus is to Christianity, perhaps by an even greater degree. I forget the details, but I believe that there was a kind of variation on the Christian rule on not worshiping false idols, in that no image may depict Muhammed in case it may distract from the worship of God. The fact that people hold this so dearly is a contradiction in itself, if I understand correctly. This teddy bear business is morally blurry at best, particularly for those as uninformed as the British public.

Muhammed is seen as the lord allahs final prophet, thats why he is soo loved, but again i think people going ape because someone wanted to name a teddy after him is really stupid, i dont care who you are, muhammed (bless him), would never have condoned to such savagry, religion is supposed to be something that enables us to move away from basic human insticts and help us to live a cleare path in life, the problem is that religion in todays standards like alot of things has become something of a money institution and something that people can use to control the masses so they can join there cause and its not a good thing by all means, being a muslim is supposed to create understand and provide (like all religions) a way to respect others no matter how ignorant or how silly there actions may seem so what they are doing to that teacher is against the teachings of islam....

I've recently began to read up on Islam in order to improve my understanding and I've got to say, it makes a surprising amount of sense bar a few minor details. If I were to decide tomorrow that religion was feasible and I were to join a monotheist religion, Islam would be it.

That being said, the Sudanese, or rather the Sudanese people creating the mobs should open their eyes and realise that what they're doing is ridiculous. They're only going to get back the hate they give out anyway, perhaps more so.

I've recently began to read up on Islam in order to improve my understanding and I've got to say, it makes a surprising amount of sense bar a few minor details. If I were to decide tomorrow that religion was feasible and I were to join a monotheist religion, Islam would be it.

That being said, the Sudanese, or rather the Sudanese people creating the mobs should open their eyes and realise that what they're doing is ridiculous. They're only going to get back the hate they give out anyway, perhaps more so.

Its true as a people and also as follows of islam they need to understand that what they are doing is wrong, this is where culture is coming into play, people are mixing the religious teachings with culture and its making everything into one big mess, another example is honor killings or the extremists telling people that if they commit suicide they go to heaven and have virgins (no matter what religion you believe in they all say that suicide means hell simple as), it boggles the mind and enables people to point the finger and take direct shots at one another, and its getting worse by the day as the media gets involved and even our own governments

thats what this argument is really based on not religion but mostly the misinterpritation of it and integration into culture so teachings get passed down and books get written with numerous view points and the original teachings (the quran) get misintepreted and people begin to act violent when they should just be talkiing and understanding each other

This is sick, its true, I've read it in the paper the last couple of days.

But lets not fool ourselves in thinking Islam is the first religion to ever do something like this. Compared to the Christian Crusades, this teacher got a massage and the full spa treatment. Theres nothing that angers me more than people criticizing other religions for being crazy or evil, when in reality all religions aside from perhaps Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism are fucking nuts.

Like someone said before, its the culture, not the religion that causes this. The religion of Islam itself is one of peace (read anything Malcolm X wrote during and after his trip to Mecca to see that), but unfortunately it is also an easily manipulated religion (just like Catholicism to that extent) that can be used to control masses of people.

It's nothing new.

People like that make me so frusturated. I'm Muslim myself, and I have no idea what's so wrong with naming a teddy bear "Mohammad." It's not the end of the world. Stuff like this just casts a negative aura around Islam and religion in general.

Flames Out
Dragon

People like that make me so frusturated. I'm Muslim myself, and I have no idea what's so wrong with naming a teddy bear "Mohammad." It's not the end of the world. Stuff like this just casts a negative aura around Islam and religion in general.

Flames Out
Dragon

salam alaikum eternal dragon, i agree with your statement people need to just end the whole neagative aspect surrounding riligion and understand thats not what islam is about, these peopple are savages and are taking allahs name in the masacre and torture of this poor woman and it needs to stop before it goes too far

I am so annoyed about all of this.
How in the world can these people call themselves so religious if they are campigning for a woman to be killed? It's a teddy. It's a name. Since when is a prophet I don't even believe in the only one allowed to have that name?
And besides the CHILDREN named the teddy, so shall we just kill all of them as well? I doubt the parents campigning for her death would be too happy about that.
This is racism, in the subtlest form, and it is unbelievably annoying. Also if it was a Muslim teacher who allowed the children to name the teddy Mohammed, the question arises would the same thing be happening? I aren't religious, and this is just another way of proving me I've made the right choice. It's people like these who stir up racial hatred, because now people that new the teacher are always going to have a hatred for the people that imprisoned her. This seems to be another boundary, this time with someones life at stake.
In England, shall we stop non-christians calling their children, Moses, Joseph, Jesus? How about Christ's diciples names? They're probably some of the most common names around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back