Favorite Robot Movies

Xemmy

of the Le'beau family
While this could be translated as "Favorite Science Fiction", I'd much rather it be more specific.

As technology has developed over the last century, fears and facinations with robots have spawned hundreds of films ranging from classics, all the way to downright laughable. I want to know what your favorites are.

Fears and concerns about robots have been repeatedly expressed in a wide range of books and films. A common theme is the development of a master race of conscious and highly intelligent robots, motivated to take over or destroy the human race. The Terminator series, RoboCop, the Matrix trilogy, and I, Robot are all popular examples. Some fictional robots are programmed to kill and destroy; others gain superhuman intelligence and abilities by upgrading their own software and hardware. Robots also start out good, but later on become evil such as HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not all robot movies are about evil machines though, such as Bicentennial Man.

Here's my favorite:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
AI_Poster.jpg

A.I. follows the story of David, an android built to resemble a little boy and the first of his line of mechas designed to display love towards a parent. The Swintons' son, Martin, was placed in suspended animation until a cure could be found for his rare disease. Although Monica is initially scared of David, she eventually warms to him after activating his imprinting protocol, which irreversibly causes David to project love for her, the same as any child would love a parent. He is also befriended by Teddy, a robotic teddy bear, who takes upon himself to care for David's well being.

Eventually a cure is found for Martin, and he's brought home. A sibling rivalry ensues, and it eventually leads to tension in the household along with several other uncanny and creepy things. The father convinces the mother to take David back to the company that made him to have him destroyed. Not being able to bear having him destroyed, she abandons him out in the middle of no where, where he and Teddy proceed to adventure out into the world and encounter it's cruelness. They meet up Gigolo Joe, a prostitute mecha. Running from the authorities and the other nightmares of the world, the three go on a quest to find the Blue Fairy, who will make David into a real boy just like in Pinocchio. I won't spoil it.

The movie is a bit of ride, and really, REALLY fucking sad. But I'm a panzy, so that's just me.

So...

What's your favorite robot movie?

It has to be Terminator 2: Judgement Day, which is not only my favourite "robot" film but in my top 5 favourite films of all time.

While the first Terminator is still awesome, I do find that it has aged pretty badly in some sections. However, T2 still looks as good as it did when it came out. The special effects still look good today, so I can only imagine the effect it had when it came out in the early 90's

I love how Sarah Conner has become a crazed killing machine as she tries to stop Judgement Day from happening, Linda Hamilton plays the role perfectly. Arnie is obviously still awesome, but showing more "human" aspects to his character as his Terminator is the good guy in this movie, trying to protect John Connor and his Mum. There are several great lines from Schwarzenegger in T2, and he is just as good as the good guy as he was the bad guy in the original film. The relationship between The Terminator and John becomes almost father and son-like during the movie, and it is very sad when Arnie lowers himself into the molten liquid in order to destroy the memory chip in his head at the end of the movie.

Plus, it has that UNBELIEVABLY IMMENSE theme music. The best music for any film I have ever heard.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day surpasses The Terminator on every level. It has cool action scenes, great acting, and some of the best special effects I have ever seen in a film. The T-1000 is one of the best characters I have ever seen, because the special effects on the characters are so incredible, it makes it seem like it was done in real life, not in a computer.

Arnold is great, and better than he was in Terminator. I also enjoyed the actor who played John Conner, Edward Furlong. Little did we know that Christian Bale would be playing him nearly 17 years later. I also like Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner, and Robert Patrick as the T-1000.

Overall,Judgment Day is one of the best sci-fi thriller I have ever seen, and would go on to become one of the best movie sequels of all time.

I know you mentioned it in your first post, but does The Matrix: Revolutions count? I mean, technically the whole movie is about a war between Zion and the machines - machines is another term for robot, I think. If so, personally I would go with the third installment of The Matrix series. Something has always annoyed me, is how people consider it a poor movie, when really they only consider it a poor movie due to the fact it much like Matrix: Reloaded didn't live up to the first movie of the trilogy.

If not that then I'd like to say I, Robot. Will Smith did well in the role, and in all I personally liked the movie.

My favorite robot movies are Terminator 1 & 2. Most robot movies are rather cheesy and not that great, but Terminator 1 is probably my favorite because it was on a completely different level of awesome to the point where the main villain became an iconic character. Then they delivered another awesome robot film in the sequel, which many believe to be even better than the first. Nothing comes close to those two for me when I think of good robot films.

I have not watch any robot movie yet but as all have shared their views that these movies are good.Now i will make some plan to watch this movie.

Terminators 1 and 2 are definitely tops for me, I love those movies. Nothing tops the scene in T2 where Arnie is walking down the hall and pulls the shotgun out of the roses, frickin epic. On another note, worst robot movie ever? Bicentenial Man....sitting through that shit was one of the most difficult things i've ever done :banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back