Irrational Fears

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Human beings are strange creatures. We develop powerful fears or aversions to the oddest things. These are irrational fears. Fears like one of a doorknob exploding and causing one of the pieces to hit you in the eye to make you blind is a lot more irrational than simply going blind, for example.

So, what are your irrational fears?

Probably my biggest one is a fear of animatronics. It's odd, considering I love Mega Man and reading about robots, but when confronted with things that look human, or speak, and aren't...I hate it.

It all started when I was in an amusement arcade, and I stumbled upon a game called Feed Big Bertha.

1837401_2952cb5e0e.jpg

Yeah, I had to shield my eyes to even Google that thing. 'Tis an abomination.

For some reason, as soon as I saw my brother playing that thing, and its stomach was going up and down, I was seized with a powerful wave of unexplainable loathing. Since then, I've been scared of the strangest things. For example, a box that someone got me as a gift. When you press the button, it sounded like a guy was inside screaming "Get me out of here!". I was terrified of that thing. And this one time the family went to a historical exhibit featuring mannequins that talked. I could barely go into any of the rooms; I was scared out of my wits.

I really can't explain why I hate those things so much, but I suppose that's what makes it irrational.

What are some of your irrational fears?

I for one totally follow you Doc. The scariest thing in the world to me is, in fact, an animatronic. And it goes by one name carved into the foundations of Hell:

Furby.

That sick mother-fucker scares the living snot out of me even at the age of 20. I can't even look at one long enough before I think it will steal my soul. No I am not trying to be funny in any way, but it is an irrational fear to me, albeit mildly whimsical in an aspect.

I grew up in the 90s, back then they were the equivalent to what Hannah Montana is today. It's everywhere...

Well me and Armber were talking a little bit in his thread in the Bar Room and I actually told him what my greatest fear was in there. That fear would be of the water, more specifically the ocean. I hate the unknown and that is very prominent when it comes to the ocean. If I cannot see through the water then I will not go in it. Now there is a reason to this irrational fear. I watched the movie Jaws when I was about 6 years old and it scared the shit out of me. I am absolutely terrified of being eaten by a shark. Now I know the odds of being devoured by a 30 foot great white is highly unlikely but I also have terrible luck and my luck would probably turn bad if I entered the environment of a shark.

This fear has actually grown into a lot of facets of my life. I usually joke about it so people don't realize how bad it is but trust me it is bad. I can't go into lakes usually because of not being able to see through the water and the fact that Bull Sharks can swim 2/3 of the way up the Mississippi rive. This doesn't affect me since I live in Indiana but it still sticks with me. I also have a pool and an over active imagination and sometimes when I was younger it would go wild and convince me something was in the water with me, thus making me not swim in my pool. I have since moved away from that fear but I still have trouble swimming by myself on occasion.

So yeah, I guess that sums up my greatest fear.

Unless checking the ceiling in every room I go in for spiders counts, Then No.

My mother on the other hand won't allow a mirror in the house, Or go into a room in someone else's house if they have one in there. She says it's because she smashed one accidentally when she was in her teen's, And a couple of days or so later her grandfather died suddenly. I guess I can understand that with the whole you get 7 years bad luck, But she's not superstious about anything else like that.

Tracheotomies.

There is zero cause for me to fear. I have never been close to having one, nor do I know anyone who has had one. It really, truly is, irrational.

The act of any form of pressure being applied to my larynx is enough for me to freak out and become very uncomfortable.

I have some friends that like to give me a hard time about it; I don't think they fully understand what even the thought actually puts me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back