Is R-Truth The Next John Cena?

Suneeboy

Big Boot, Leg Drop, 1....2....3
John Cena's gimmick was a white thug rapper when he first debuted, but then he turned into an honest face who worked hard and came from the streets, however we all know it was a gimmick and they have sinced turned his gimmick into the all honorable hero following in the path of Hulk Hogan.

Now R-Truth really was in the streets, really did go to jail, really was a thug, and really did turn his life around thanks to pro wrestling. He also raps. Now the guy is over as hell with the live crowd, and they are behind him all the time. He can talk on the mic and has a pretty good look. Did anyone see the promo Shelton cut on Friday on R-Truth? Really did a great job in putting both of the characters over and got the crowd behind Truth big time.

Can you see him winning championships and overcoming the odds? Can he be a main guy in 2 or 3 years? Would a feud with Vince be good for his future, or can you even see something like that going down? If booked properly can this guy be the next John Cena? Do you think he will ever deserve a main event push?

We've heard people predict the Miz and Morrison long before now, so call me crazy now but I think R-Truth could be the next "John Cena".

Uh.....No. R-Truth was in his Prime in TNA. WWE won't make him anything more than a mid-card preformer at best he may hold the IC/US title but nothing more... Sorry too little too late

Uh.....No. R-Truth was in his Prime in TNA. WWE won't make him anything more than a mid-card preformer at best he may hold the IC/US title but nothing more... Sorry too little too late

Why is it too little too late because he's not in his prime? He's no older than Batista was when he began his main event push.

And by prime do you mean he's not physically in his prime? Because last I saw him he looked and moved great. He's still IN his prime physically, and he hasn't reached his prime professionally, as he still has lots of room for improvement, which he is doing.

You say he was in his "prime" in TNA? TNA doesn't count as "making it" and it never will, unless they put on a grand show and draw as huge as the WWE can WORLDWIDE. The WWE is the big stage my man. TNA is the minor leagues.

R-Truth is good in the ring, on the mic, he's over, and the kids love him which is perfect for the PG era. He has the tools to do it does he not?

Ok this doesn't happen that often but for the sake of arguement I feel the need to explain myself. During his first run with WWE he was ultra popular and even held the WWE Hardcore title.

He found his niche' so to speak when he joined TNA there he became a TWO time NWA world heavyweight Champion and a THREE time Tag-Team Champion

now my point is if history has taught us anything it is that VKM burries anybody who was a success in TNA. That being said he his on a show with far too much depth and talent for WWE to give him a run with one of the main belts. By saying he's past his prime I meant that his CHAMPIONSHIP days are pretty much over as far as WWE is concerned IMO I don't see him being anything more than a Pacifer/Hype man for the live crowds but hey I could be wrong.....

Possibly, it all depends on what WWE wants to use him as. I think you right, he kinda is that Black-Early John Cena type gimmick and it all depends on how they use him. if they suck and dont use him right then No but if put with a good storyline then maybe. I dont think for a seconde however that he will ever be as popular or $$$ making as John Cena thats just 1 in a million guys that do that but I think he could be a guy like Cena maybe a cross between Booker T and Cena.

I have to agree with suneeboy. Past his prime? As many matches as I have seen R-Truth in, I don't think I've ever seen him slow down. He's so quick, he moves better than half the current WWE roster. And as far as Vince burying guys who went to TNA, last time I checked, Christian won the ECW title soon after redebuting for the company. So the way I see it, with the right booking of course, R-Truth has all the makings of a main event player in WWE

If R-truth wants to get over,he needs to change his finisher. I really enjoy the guy. I remember idolizing him when he was K-Kwik. Happy to see him as a former world champion as well. The crowd loves him. I hope WWE doesn't screw him up. Cause this guys is loved by the fans.

Ok this doesn't happen that often but for the sake of arguement I feel the need to explain myself.

Same here so I'll critique and respond.

During his first run with WWE he was ultra popular and even held the WWE Hardcore title.

Dude, everyone and their fucking mother held the Hardcore title, it means nothing in terms of championship conversations.

He found his niche' so to speak when he joined TNA there he became a TWO time NWA world heavyweight Champion and a THREE time Tag-Team Champion

I didn't even know he was in TNA until he came back to the WWE. And like I said in my previous post, TNA doesn't count.

now my point is if history has taught us anything it is that VKM burries anybody who was a success in TNA.
VKM is burying R-Truth? It looks like he is pushing him to me.

That being said he his on a show with far too much depth and talent for WWE to give him a run with one of the main belts. By saying he's past his prime I meant that his CHAMPIONSHIP days are pretty much over as far as WWE is concerned IMO I don't see him being anything more than a Pacifer/Hype man for the live crowds but hey I could be wrong.....

I said in 2 or 3 years he could have a run. He may explode before then because he is so over. He is a hype man now, but they are giving his character depth, and at this rate he will be over as hell come next year. Definitely in MITB 2010.

I actually felt like commenting on this one because of the fact that the WWE loves to recycle gimmicks. Now many people know that R-Truth first came into the WWE as K-Kwik. Had a rapper gimmick and was put with a great talker in the Road Dogg Jesse James. This two were a fairly good tag team and IMO had great chemistry together on the mic. Unfortunately when things fell thru between management and Jesse James, K-Kwik was lost in the mix and got his release where he ended up jumping ship to a newly forming entity known as NWA-TNA. The WWE needing to fill the void left from his departure quickly put pieces into place to bring up a talent to fill the role. Those the debut of John Cena vs. Kurt Angle and everyone I am sure thought that he would win that match. That night he proved that he was ready for the big time and was repackaged as the white rapper. So in all honesty John Cena is just a recreation of what R-Truth could be if he had stayed in.

Why does he need to be the "next John Cena" why can’t be the current R-Truth? Just because there are similar parts about their background doesn’t mean that he needs to mold the exact same to get over with the fans, or to become a bigger star. Cena is nothing like Hogan, because Cena sells his matches, and will put over younger guys when need be.

How about we stop looking for copies of other wrestlers from now on, and look at the talent the person has on their own.

The constant comparing of one wrestlers gimmick to another is old, and saying this wrestler is like such and such from the past is annoying. I’m starting to think most of the people that post here are slightly mentally handicapped.

In reply to Legendary_Undertaker:

If Vince buries everybody that came from TNA, then please explain why both Jeff hardy and Christian (sorta) have become world champs since returning from TNA.

If creative booked R-Truth correctly, which they wont, he could easily be the next John Cena, but I would much rather that didn't happen. For me, one John Cena in one millenium is too much.

I actually felt like commenting on this one because of the fact that the WWE loves to recycle gimmicks. Now many people know that R-Truth first came into the WWE as K-Kwik. Had a rapper gimmick and was put with a great talker in the Road Dogg Jesse James. This two were a fairly good tag team and IMO had great chemistry together on the mic. Unfortunately when things fell thru between management and Jesse James, K-Kwik was lost in the mix and got his release where he ended up jumping ship to a newly forming entity known as NWA-TNA. The WWE needing to fill the void left from his departure quickly put pieces into place to bring up a talent to fill the role. Those the debut of John Cena vs. Kurt Angle and everyone I am sure thought that he would win that match. That night he proved that he was ready for the big time and was repackaged as the white rapper. So in all honesty John Cena is just a recreation of what R-Truth could be if he had stayed in.

Honestly, I don't think Cena is a reincarnation of what R-Truth could be. I think Cena was just fit a recycled gimmick that he was very good at. R-Truth has good mic skills, yes, but he doesn't have the mic or rapping skills that Cena had.

That's why Cena got the push in the first place and R-Truth never did. Because his in-ring skills aren't the best, but he has amazing charisma and mic skills, which enable him to draw, where as R-Truth's better in-ring skills but only good (where-as Cena has awesome) mic skills and charisma won't get him as far, because, even though we here know in-ring skills combined with promos will draw better than just awesome promos and sad wrestling matches, Vince doesn't think it will, and in-truth, it won't as long as he targets 5-11 year olds who care less about actual wrestling. Sorry about the rant there, I got sidetracked.

Anyway, R-Truth is not the next John Cena, he is just the one who had the gimmick first, but didn't quite do it good enough.

The future is unsure for R-Truth. I think he's a great in ring talent with some ok mic skills but it's hard to see him going up over some of the other midders I feel will get the push over him. Guys like Miz, Morrison, MVP, Christian, Swagger and hell, even Kofi will be shown the main event before Truth. I like the guy and he could definatley perform at that level, it's just a matter of wether or not he'll get a chance, only time will tell....

Honestly, I don't think Cena is a reincarnation of what R-Truth could be. I think Cena was just fit a recycled gimmick that he was very good at. R-Truth has good mic skills, yes, but he doesn't have the mic or rapping skills that Cena had.

They are both just "ok" rappers, I wouldn't buy either of their albums. Cena is better on the mic, but R-Truth has shown flashes and has shown he can get the crowd to pop in his promos.

Anyway, R-Truth is not the next John Cena, he is just the one who had the gimmick first, but didn't quite do it good enough.

He is not the next Cena as far as gimmick goes, but he is the next Cena as far as making that connection with the crowd and being that big babyface that adults and especially children love.

R Truth has the talent and the crowd loves him. I just believe WWE will loose him in the shuffle and he will be on his way to the future endeavour's club. Not because of his character, or that he was in TNA. Say what you want about TNA but being a former NWA world heavyweight champion is kinda a big thing. Even bigger then WHC or ECW thats for damn sure. Hell even though its an old title just think of who carried it previously: Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Terry Funk, and Sting just to name a few. Granted, these Hall of Famers may not be as popular as your beloved Cena and The Miz but the title holds prestige to the wrestling community. Anyways like it or not R Truth will unfortunatly go the way of Kennedy and Umaga.

Why does he need to be the "next John Cena" why can’t be the current R-Truth? Just because there are similar parts about their background doesn’t mean that he needs to mold the exact same to get over with the fans, or to become a bigger star. Cena is nothing like Hogan, because Cena sells his matches, and will put over younger guys when need be.

How about we stop looking for copies of other wrestlers from now on, and look at the talent the person has on their own.

The constant comparing of one wrestlers gimmick to another is old, and saying this wrestler is like such and such from the past is annoying. I’m starting to think most of the people that post here are slightly mentally handicapped.

He's the next Cena in that he will be a huge babyface with a gimmick that is about respect and honor. He will be one of the most over wrestlers in the WWE, and could possibly get a world title run. Even if he doesn't win the strap he is a mainstay and he will be a major player in the next couple of years. At bare minimum he will main event a PPV.

They are both just "ok" rappers, I wouldn't buy either of their albums. Cena is better on the mic, but R-Truth has shown flashes and has shown he can get the crowd to pop in his promos.

He is not the next Cena as far as gimmick goes, but he is the next Cena as far as making that connection with the crowd and being that big babyface that adults and especially children love.

No, that would be Jeff Hardy. Hardy is more over than Cena probably ever was, gets bigger pops than R-Truth, and his already won the World Title. R-Truth is the next superstar to be extremely over and no doubt have the wrestling skills to main event, and probably get 1 or 2 ME Runs. But, yet,I don't think he is the next Cena in any terms, in gimmick, being the next Hogan-esqu/extremely popular babyface, or in any other way.

Ron Killings is a two time NWA Heavyweight Champion. Unfortunately he always had a limited move set. That is one of the reasons that he faded after only a few years of success in TNA. The character can be great but if his in ring performance gets stale then there isn't much left for the character. TNA in the end tried putting him as a pure tag team wrestler to salvage the character but in the end the in ring performance and limited yet flashy move set just wasn't getting over with the crowd anymore.

Simply put Ron Killings/R-Truth is a great character with limited in ring performance ability. TNA did a good job of keeping him fresh as long as they did but I doubt WWE will put that type of effort into a mid card level performer. I see him getting stale in the WWE before long as well.

No chance of a big push.

Absolutely not! He can legitimately rap, he can wrestle better, he can flippy-dippy, and most of all, he's actually black! Not just actually black, but dark as dark chocolate!

John Cena is the Ron Killings ripoff!

I dont think so because he is small which Vince hates he prefers bulky guys like botchtista and secondly apparently vince doesnt like black guys and doesnt let them go over and dont say the rock hes not black he samoan

Absolutely preposterous. R-Truth, or Ron Killings, or K-Kwik, or whatever the hell you want to call him will never under any circumstance ever be as popular as John Cena is. Ever. Clear?

He's had his chance to become a star for nearly a decade now, and the guy just isn't anywhere near John's level. Say what you will about Cena's in-ring work, but the man is the biggest star the business has had since the departures of Austin and The Rock.

I like Ron, I really do. But the chances of him becoming a star like Cena currently is are about 1 in 12 billion.

if R-TRUTH doesent soone ror later main event ile eat my own foot, the guy can talk, wrestle, has the best possible entrance, 2 good catchphrazes, and is loved by the crowed, yeh he isnt that young but he moves like a young man, so ofcourse i see R-TRUTH as a top competitor/main eventer :)

Vince will never let him run with the ball, he's black. And we all know Vince is a racist prick who never lets any black man hold a real title. ECW title doesn't count. When has an African American held any of the major titles? besides The Rock? Lashley was the last and he's in MMA!

Vince will never let him run with the ball, he's black. And we all know Vince is a racist prick who never lets any black man hold a real title. ECW title doesn't count. When has an African American held any of the major titles? besides The Rock? Lashley was the last and he's in MMA!

Booker T (EX-WHC)? Mark Henry (Ex-ECW Champion) ? Kofi (U.S champion), Mvp (Last U.S Champion)? Shelton (Oh, we're getting a pattern for U.S Champs here.....) Lashley (Ex-ECW Champion) and that's all from 2006.

if R-TRUTH doesent soone ror later main event ile eat my own foot, the guy can talk, wrestle, has the best possible entrance, 2 good catchphrazes, and is loved by the crowed, yeh he isnt that young but he moves like a young man, so ofcourse i see R-TRUTH as a top competitor/main eventer :)

A) He can't talk to save his fucking life. That "rap" he does? Pathetic. I've heard better raps from autistic children. And on the rare occasion he attempts to cut a promo, it's always shit.

B) Best possible entrance? Because he raps an AWFUL song? That's been done before, many many times. You know who else had a rap entrance? Mabel.

C) He's not going to be a main eventer, ever. There are atleast half a dozen younger and better wrestlers who will be taking the main event spots long before R-Truth does.

And finally, please for the love of God spell check your next post. That was painful to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back