Is Brodus Clay the next Big Show?

#TGMTEL

Austin Aries #1 Fan
so brodus has his gimmick in which we cant really take him serious as a world champion so will he be the Big Show in which we dont we take him serious like his match against sheamus we all know sheamus should win.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry, but I can't take Brodus Clay seriously at all. Big Show got old, everyone does eventually. Brodus Clay has a gimmick that doesn't allow him to be taken seriously.

Brodus Clay is the next Rikishi, not Big Show. Brodus Clay isn't anything like Big Show

I really have no clue what you mean by saying we shouldn't take Show seriously against Sheamus.

Considering 50% of Sheamus' title defences so far have been against Alberto Del Rio, the Big Show is the biggest threat to his title reign yet.

Furthermore, since Show made a statement last week on Raw by knocking out both Clay and Tensai (both repeatedly referred to by Michael Cole as 'superheavyweights', I think it's safe to say that we can take Show seriously against Sheamus.

Regarding Clay, well we don't have to take him seriously because (a) he is not a world champion, nor is he on the cusp of becoming one, and (b) his whole gimmick is the antithesis of seriousness and so far it has worked fairly well for him.

Since the OP's question was so badly mangled, as if a well structured sentence had been repeatedly run over by lawnmower, let me try and rescue this thread because I think there's a good discussion to be had here.

Is Brodus Clay the next Big Show in terms of a reliable worker who will have a long career of flitting between kid-friendly babyface and nasty heel?
Will Brodus Clay be taken seriously if he shed the Funkasaurus gimmick?
Would Brodus Clay be able to seamlessly transit back into a face a la Rikishi in 2001?

I really have no clue what you mean by saying we shouldn't take Show seriously against Sheamus.

Considering 50% of Sheamus' title defences so far have been against Alberto Del Rio, the Big Show is the biggest threat to his title reign yet.

Furthermore, since Show made a statement last week on Raw by knocking out both Clay and Tensai (both repeatedly referred to by Michael Cole as 'superheavyweights', I think it's safe to say that we can take Show seriously against Sheamus.[/B]

We shouldn't take big show seriously until we see him knock out Sheamus. Knocking out 2 oversize jobbers doesn't make him seem like a threat. That it beside the point though, I don't think Brodus Clay is going to be either Big Show or Rikishi, his character will change and grow down the line, but he'll still be Brodus Clay

We shouldn't take big show seriously until we see him knock out Sheamus. Knocking out 2 oversize jobbers doesn't make him seem like a threat.

Compared to Sheamus' previous one-on-one challengers, the Big Show appears to be more of a legitimate threat: a longer veteran, more championship reigns, including several world titles, plus the obvious size and power advantage.

Whether or not you see Tensai and Clay as jobbers (even though Clay still has plenty more wins than losses), the point is that these two are big guys that don't normally go down easily. It's like Qui-Gon said, "there's always a bigger fish". What this feud is going to boil down to is a simple punchkick strength match; the hamfist of mass destruction versus the brogue-ski boot.

That it beside the point though, I don't think Brodus Clay is going to be either Big Show or Rikishi, his character will change and grow down the line, but he'll still be Brodus Clay

Well obviously. Can you really see the WWE running an impostor Rikishi angle? (Luke Gallows would've made a better Fake Big Show).

I didn't say Clay is going to actually become these people, I asked whether or not it was conceivable that he would make a career out of taking on the roles that Show or Rikishi have/had in the long term.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

I enjoyed the character Clay had on NXT, but he did a lot with the gimmick they gave him since. It's fun, it doesn't have to be serious. I'm not sure if he's getting over, but it seems that way. You don't have to be super serious to win a strap - just look at Santino and Ryder. Maybe after a US or Intercontinental Championship we can talk about dropping the gimmick, but for now it seems to be working for him.

I don't even think Brodus is the next Rikishi, Rikishi had charisma, he was funny, and he could give us an entertaining match. Brodus has no charisma (dancing like a ******ed dinosaur having a seizure doesn't count) he's awful in the ring and doesn't give me a reason to press play when I fast foward through 80-90% of Smackdown and Raw. WWE needs to stop hiring pathetic competitors like Brodus, Cesaro, Santino, Ryder and many more. I don't want the Attitude era back, it wouldn't work without Rock, Austin, Undertaker and Triple H, but the PG has to go. WWE has no affect on Linda's bullshit campaign. The guy known as the Terminator was on Raw during Attitude, and even punched HHH in the face, yet, he was governor of CA. So if they try to make Brodus the next Big Show, Henry, or even Rikishi, WWE is spitting in the face of their legacies and true fans of wrestling

As of right now, I'd say that Brodus Clay is more likely the next Santino Marella. Like Santino, Brodus is currently a kid friendly happy babyface that frequently wins matches against guys on the lower end of the card.

This past Monday, however, we saw Brodus Clay suffer possibly the most decisive loss of his career thus far when Antonio Cesaro beat him cleanly in about 90 seconds. Cesaro went at Brodus tooth & nail, ultimately out fighting the bigger man and delivering an impressive looking finisher.

Right now, Brodus Clay isn't going to be on the upper level of stars in the WWE but that could possibly change later on down the line. Clay has shown with his Funkasaurus character that he has a lot of personality and can bring a lot more to the table than just being your stereotypical super heavyweight monster heel. That's probably going to be much better for him in the long run. At some point in time, Brodus Clay will probably go heel and will adopt a more serious character. I don't think it'll be anytime soon though.

I was satisfied with the outcome of the Antonio Cesaro vs Brodus Clay match. Why? Because it showed that Brodus Clay can also lose just as quickly as he wins.

Brodus Clay is nothing like the Big Show. Sure, there are similarities in their body builds and the fact that Big Show was made to be somewhat of a joke in the early 2000s, but that's where it ends. The Big Show has accomplished far more in his early goings in the WWE than Brodus Clay. I mean, Big Show was already involved in angles with guys like Kane and Steve Austin. Brodus Clay is a cartoon character for the kids and unless this gimmick is shed and he returns to his previous bodyguard gimmick, he can't be taken serious by size alone. His attitude needs to be more intimidating and serious. His behaviour and antics during and after matches need to be more menacing. He needs to win against top tier opponents whose names aren't Dolph Ziggler or The Miz. Until he does, I don't see him in Big Show's shoes. Even his moves look weak and unbelievable in comparison to Big Show's choke slam and WMD. Also, Big Show was a helluva performer for his size when he was 6 or 7 years younger. He even beat Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship at one point. Could you picture Brodus Clay beating a top opponent like that for the WWE Championship, ever?

Unfortunately the writing was on the wall for Clay when they saddled him with that horrible gimmick. It was funny for about 2 weeks but now it's got old. It would need someone incredibly talented to make that gimmick a success and Brodus Clay does not have the talent imo. He looks like a guy who is 'playing his character' rather that being in character, he is almost unworkable in the ring and he makes me want to turn the TV off every time he wrestles.

It's a shame really, I was excited about his initial RAW debut because in the vignettes he looked pretty damn scary. But creative decided to go with a his current gimmick, which hasn't really got over. Maybe if they repackage him as a dominant heel it could be very different, but on the evidence I don't think Clay is talented enough to make it to anywhere near the heights of Paul White. Show is not just a big man, he is a true veteran of the business. He has improved in the ring and gets over as both a heel and a babyface. He's a main eventer and I'm not sure Clay ever will be because I don't think he is good enough.

The Funkasaurus is darn near as child-friendly as Tugboat. I think for now, that is his niche on the show. I really have my doubts about his ability to get over as a heel. He becomes another Tensai if they do. No matter who they make him next, we have seen him too much to see him as the new character.
I think he's destined to be a career mid-carder and I'm not sure how long that career is going to be, frankly. His character is already on the verge of getting old--already is for most grown-ups.
He does serve a purpose, though. I think he played an important part in moving Sandow up the ladder. He might be able to do the same for other talent on the way up. As long as the kids still like him, a heel who attacks him gets heat from that segment of the audience. They need to find a way to do something new with him that lets his character grow a bit but keeps it essentially the same so that people don't get flat-out sick of him. I think he might have an Al Snow level crazy guy inside him, but that niche is currently filled by R-Truth.

I don't like the comparison to Big Show at all. I am not a Big Show fan by any means, but he was at least relevant in his younger days. He was a huge free agent when WWE signed him and he made immediate impact. Big Show is a future HOFer. It's hard to take Brodus Clay seriously at all. He is closer to a Santino than he is the Big Show. Brodus needs a gimmick change as his schtick got old fast. Big Show was one of the more credible opponents Sheamus has and they put on a hell of a match. I am glad that Show is WHC, and that surprises me. Brodus will not even get close to what the Big Show has done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back