If Daniel Bryan Were Healthy

OYDK

King Of The Ring
After Wrestlemania 30, Daniel Bryan was on top of the world. He had just defeated HHH, Randy Orton, and Batista in the same night to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion and was on his way to his first program as World Champion with Kane. Then, as we all know, it was discovered Daniel Bryan needed major surgery on his neck and would be out for a few months. This leads to Daniel Bryan having to relinquish the title and John Cena winning it a month later at Money in the Bank. John Cena then gets fed to Brock Lesnar to everyone's delight.

Now lets say we live in a perfect world and Daniel Bryan's neck is healthy and his title reign lasts until Summerslam where he runs into Brock Lesnar. Daniel Bryan then takes the 16 German suplexes and 2 F-5's that were reserved for John Cena and loses his title in convincing fashion.

In reality, if Daniel Bryan were healthy, this was probably the plan. Now my question is:

Would your reaction change if Daniel Bryan was the one who took the Summerslam beating as apposed to John Cena?
What would Daniel Bryan be doing after Summerlslam?

Would your reaction change if Daniel Bryan was the one who took the Summerslam beating as apposed to John Cena?

I think that the reaction of most people would've been completely different and very negative. According to reports, Bryan was planned to be the one who took the decisive, one sided beating & loss that Cena took. John Cena's legacy in WWE has LONG since been established over the past 10 years in the sense that he could've gotten in absolutely no offense whatsoever against Lesnar and it wouldn't have hurt Cena's image in the slightest. Vince McMahon, however, believes that Cena has to be this nigh unstoppable human juggernaut even though a good number of fans are genuinely burned out on that. The idea of Cena being vulnerable is one that people haven't really seen and it was an intriguing idea, but Vince got paranoid that people would lose faith in Cena.

However, if Bryan had taken the loss, I think there would have been a very negative reaction. Bryan's legacy isn't as stable as Cena's, though there are very, very few in the history of WWE with as secure of a legacy as Cena. Bryan losing in that sense would've resulted in some fans going the route of saying "WWE just buried Daniel Bryan" or "WWE blew an opportunity to cement Bryan's long term status as a main eventer" or "Lesnar doesn't deserve to be champion because he doesn't love the business and is a part timer" arguments. Bryan's fresh and is someone that fans have wanted to and enjoyed cheering for partially because he doesn't fit the usual mold in terms of physical appearance that Vince has a preference for.

I wouldn't have agreed with the notion that WWE would've been burying Bryan, but I'd be more inclined to go in the direction of them missing an opportunity to further solidify him. Whether or not they truly were gonna go the route with Bryan that they went with Cena will never really be known.

What would Daniel Bryan be doing after Summerlslam?

As a former champ, Daniel Bryan would've had a rematch clause, I think he has a title bout at some point as he didn't technically lose the title but that's neither here nor there. Bryan & Lesnar would've had a rematch for Night of Champions though, again, we're left with the question of who ultimately walks out as champ. In Bryan's case, since his legacy isn't as secure as a main eventer, would be viewed as an even bigger underdog while, simultaneously, the terms of Lesnar's deal are a major factor just as they currently are with Cena's rematch. The notion of Lesnar retaining the title seems unlikely because of how his deal is structured, yet we're left to wonder if Lesnar retains because he had such a lopsided win over Cena, if more dates have been added to his deal, if Seth Rollins will cash in his MITB briefcase, etc. It'd be the same if Bryan was healthy and the one facing Lesnar.

In Bryan's case, losing to Lesnar and managing to redeem himself by reclaiming the title at some point MIGHT have placated fans. If Daniel Bryan ultimately slew The Beast Incarnate, I think fans would've eventually been okay with a SummerSlam loss. In the case of Cena, if Lesnar loses to Cena this Sunday, it'll be business as usual with Super Cena rising to the occasion yet again and having to endure another John Cena title reign that I don't think a whole lot of people are especially anxious for. Even some people who're major supporters of Cena are burned on him as champion, so Cena walking out at NOC as champion will be viewed as anti-climactic for a lot of people.

Most definitely, as most of us would have had a different reaction as well. As Jack-Hammer said perfectly (as he always does), Cena is never going to have his legacy tarnished. He could lose 30 matches in a row and nobody would doubt his place in the company. Since Bryan has just gotten his push to the top, any beating like he would have gotten could have thrown the fans into a frenzy. Bryan would eventually gain the title back, but as of now, I really do see Lesnar as a placeholder until some full-timers can take his spot and have a great feud. A lot of me thinks that he's holding the belt until Reigns is ready to take the top spot in the company, and for no other reason.

What would Daniel Bryan be doing after Summerslam?

The same thing he was doing before. I think the Authority storyline would still be happening, but hopefully not as prevalent as it was before Bryan's win. A feud would probably have started with Seth Rollins, and with Rollins eventually taking the title, Reigns would make his way in for possibly 3 people fighting for the world title. Triple Threat matches with Bryan, Rollins and Reigns would be fantastic, and maybe if Ambrose got his way up there as well, it would be amazing to watch all four of them go at it. But if I'm not mistaken, Ambrose and Rollins will continue to feud once Ambrose returns from being a movie star, and Bryan will feud with Cena/Lesnar when he returns in a few months.

I would have had a more positive reaction. At this point I'm thinking Lesnar just destroyed the guy who was on top of the roster for the past decade. Who can stop him now? IF Bryan had gotten the beating it would have been more believable, given Lesnar more heel heat, and it would still seem realistic someone like Reigns could bat him. Most Importantly though, it would have pushed back Lesnar's program with Cena.

Bryan would get destroyed at SummerSlam, get a rematch get destroyed again. Maybe take time off I don't think he would be any less over from it.

I would have had a more positive reaction. At this point I'm thinking Lesnar just destroyed the guy who was on top of the roster for the past decade. Who can stop him now? IF Bryan had gotten the beating it would have been more believable, given Lesnar more heel heat, and it would still seem realistic someone like Reigns could bat him. Most Importantly though, it would have pushed back Lesnar's program with Cena.

Bryan would get destroyed at SummerSlam, get a rematch get destroyed again. Maybe take time off I don't think he would be any less over from it.

This.

Cena being defeated by Lesnar was greeted with cheers by many fans, because whilst Cena does have fans, there were many who were basically treated a 'wet dream' of sorts as Cena was pummelled at SummerSlam.

However, had it been Bryan, as allegedly originally planned, then Lesnar would have refreshed heat after beating yet another over babyface(the most over babyface) and as Kris has said above, it would have pushed back the programme with Cena also.

And also, as said, being that Daniel Bryan is portrayed as an Underdog, such a defeat(or a couple) to Lesnar wouldn't make him any less over in any case whilst building heel heat for Lesnar in the process.

Post WM Bryan would have finished up with Kane and retained at MitB against Orton. At Slam I don't believe we see the same match as Brock vs. Cena. That F5 nearly thirty seconds in would have ended the match. Brock would have continued a post match beat down placing Bryan on the side lines for a few months. Then I could see Cena stepping in to "stop" the Beast for a few months.

What I wonder is how much would it change the recent run of the remainder of the roster? With Bryan there where would Reigns, Wyatt, Orton, Jericho and slew of other be? How would the entire Bella situation change? It would be a different Universe.

What I wonder is how much would it change the recent run of the remainder of the roster? With Bryan there where would Reigns, Wyatt, Orton, Jericho and slew of other be? How would the entire Bella situation change? It would be a different Universe.

Great point, you guys can go off of this too. Basically:

How would the WWE landscape look right now, if Daniel Bryan were healthy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back