I Think I Can Now See Cena As A Heel

HardCoor

Dark Match Winner
So, last night we got the confrontation we had been waiting for. Cena and Rock (and Miz) face to face (to face). I was honestly a little disappointed when Cena first started talking. He started to back pedal and say I was only saying those things because I'm such a big fan and I want you back in wrestling. I was thinking "Oh no this is such a big cop out and now I know for sure that Rock is going to swerve and take out Miz helping Cena win at WM and the two posing together to close the show." But then luckily Cena started to get angry. He defended himself. I believe he actually got some of the anti-Cena crowd to come back to him.

Miz attacked Rock and once again was made to look like a totally weak champion (I wont get into this here, it should be a different thread in itself). After Rock easily disposed of the champ Cena came in for his attack. Sneaking up and attacking Rock from behind. I saw a comment on the WWE page on Facebook saying "Cena never attacks people from behind he never should have done that." However, in this attack and his actions afterwards I saw that I could truly buy Cena as a heel. The attack, the grin afterwards, adjusting the wrist bands, pointing out the logo on them, and the You Cant See Me action was all done differently than normal. Cena knew the majority of the crowd was hating him for his actions and he played off of it wonderfully. The look on his face was perfect, grinning, knowing that he pissed off The Great One and The Millions. cena has always played along with people hating on him, but this was the first time since his Super Cena face turn that he has ever purposely done something heel-ish. Standing at the top of the ramp and saluting, I felt as though it was done almost in a mocking manor towards the fans who abandoned him.

Whenever discussion of turning Cena heel came up before I was always doubtful it would work. During the Nexus storyline when everyone said Cena will join and turn heel and help Barrett win I said it would work because of Cena's Midas touch. Everything he did got cheered by his fans. Even the extreme heat on Nexus wasn't going to be enough to turn him. But now that they got somebody to come in with a stronger Midas touch Cena has a chance. Many of the people who were cheering Cena turned on him once The Rock started on Cena. So now that Cena is no longer getting the top pop and more and more boo's can be heard he can turn. You have to get the majority of the audience on board for the turn to work. This is the time when they can actually get enough fans against him to actually make a turn happen.

However if The Rock swerves and ends up actually assisting Cena in winning the title (I see this swerve happening like the Mike Tyson DX-Austin swerve) and Mania ends with the two of them celebrating together, Cena will once again be flung into Super-Face and none of this heat will matter at all. The endorsement of The Rock will give Cena back all those fans he lost to The Rock and maybe even some more.

So if anyone actually read that long post and is still with me:

What are your thoughts?

Is this the time to finally turn Cena heel?
-Will it work?

Will we see the Tyson-swerve and Cena be thrust into a higher level of face after joining with The Rock?

Will anyone remember that The Miz was involved in this in any way at all?

I hate the Super C character, but Cena has been winning me over with his rebuttals to the Rock's insults this past 2 months, and put the icing on the cake last night... sending a message that was louder and clearer than ever before. He wasn't to be disrespected... especially not by The Rock.
In order to be heel, he would also have to send a message to the WWE Universe... that they don't matter to him anymore... that Cena is this generation's "People's Champ", and if they can't see that Cena is the real thing and The Rock is only coming back to leave again than they can keep their respect. He has to make it clear. He has to do something heinous enough to make kids cry. And now that I think of it... What happened on Raw isn't an indication that he will turn heel. I feel like his reaction to the Rock thus far has seemed natural and real, and that he can go to WrestleMania and something will happen to make his "face" star shine even brighter.
Orrrrr.... they can do a heel turn at WrestleMania!
The beauty of Raw was that it left things on the fence. Anything can happen in the WWE Title Match. I honestly don't know if I can call it this time. Turning Cena heel can work, and keeping him face can work. I think in the end Cena will remain the face of this generation, somehow... he won't turn on the kids. As he so adamantly said, he's proud that his audience is children. I wouldn't be angry to see him leave as face champion. On the other hand, I don't want to see Miz lose, and I think I'd almost rather see Miz win than Cena win and turn face. IDK. This is a no-lose situation for me.

Nah it won't ever happen. Cena will lose the kid fan base and that's really all he has. Vince wants his money for merchandise so that won't be happening any time soon. Personally I think the Miz will win at WM, move on and this will allow the Cena/Rock feud to keep going. Of course I'm probably just thinking what everyone else is. I'm sure we'll get a curve ball of sorts.

i have to tell you guys as much as i hate Cena i am gaining some major respect for the man no matter the crowd reaction he doesn't change who he is he knows hes the role model for all of the younger fans and takes pride in that and teaches them good morals he is the one they look to for inspiration instead of booing Cena because i hate him i boo Cena simply because i like the other guy better. the whole Cena Rock feud has seriously helped me change my mind about Cena and honestly i don't want to see him turn heel anymore. i remember how it felt to find out Hogan was a steroid user and it broke my heart. Cena is the ultimate good guy and should remain that way.

Like the posters above me have stated, I'm starting to like cena again. I think his actions are putting him over as a legit person not to be fucked with rather just being a superhero for the kids. I definately wanna see a big payoff at mania. I hope rock costs cena the match because it could possibly start the feud we always wanted. Even if cena did turn heel he could be just for 1 storyline and turn face again just like hbk when he fought hogan. Either way I can't wait for rock to get his revenge.

Can we please stop saying that Cena will never turn heel because of merchandise? WWE is a multinational, multi-billion-dollar, publicly traded corporation. Cena slings a lot of merch, sure, but I don't think at all Vince's financial success depends on the buyrate of purple teeshirts alone. If it makes the most sense LONG-TERM, I think they'll do it. And I think we're kinda getting to that point. Face Rock vs. heel Cena would be amazing.

I don't see this feud benefitting anyone.

Rock will inevitably have to job and put over Cena, which will insite more people to boo Cena. Both of them in a worse place than when they started.

Does anyone else see how big of a hypocrite John Cena is being? This whole thing started because Cena was judging The Rock's life choices. The Rock had accomplished EVERYTHING he wanted to do in the WWE and decided to move on and fulfill other goals. Thats his right to do so, no? It doesnt mean he doesnt love the WWE or the wrestling business. So here comes Cena, telling anyone who would listen that we were abandoned, The Rock left us, Cena can do movies and wrestle simultaneously, etc. So when The Rock DOES come back and addresses Cena and HIS choices, all of a sudden Cena gets all defensive and starts talking about how proud he is of his kid fans and shirt color variations. Come on, man. It never once occured to Cena that maybe The Rock is proud of the legacy he left in WWE and proud of his movie career? The Rock must be forced to wrestle when he didnt want to? Because Cena says so? Cena said last night that The Rock shouldnt judge him...well, dude, maybe you shouldnt have judged The Rock and that would have saved you an ass whooping at WM 27. Thats why I hate the Cena character. The guy has preached Hustle, Loyalty, Respect but yet has violated the terms of WWE's Wellness Policy and has outwardly critcized AND judged another wrestler for making a personal career choice. The man reeks hypocrisy. I hope he does turn heel at WM, that way at least it will give his hypocrisy some validation.

Heres how this feud goes down, These 2 will go at it until summerslam letting the fans choose sides up until then. Hopefully he puts up a great promo battle with the Rock until then.
Rock will most likely have most of the fans because he is just that good, Cena will win the match to show him as the top guy ( you cant let the old come in and beat on your present and future on the big stage ) and Rock will shake Cenas hand in an endorsement to passing the torch ( again ).
This is how VKM is hoping to get Cena up to The Rock pop and status on a weekly basis.
Unfortunatly when the Rock leaves there will be nobody for Cena to raise his level to unless the guys in the back are watching and taking notes.

The more good guy stuff Cena does,the more the fans hate him.The moment he FUs The Rock(technically a heel move),almost everyone started cheering.If they do turn him heel he may be the most cheered heel in history.

I always thought it would be easy for Cena to turn heel,all it would take is one attack on one of the faces,someone like JoMo,and one promo where he declares his hatred of the WWE universe,but now that he's FU'd The Rock and everyone's declaring their respect and admiration for Cena,I think it'll be near impossible.The moment he turns his back on the fans,they'll be cheering for him.It's almost like the grown-up wrestling fans have a sadomasochistic side about them.They yearn to feel the disdain from the heels and they cheer the "evil" things they do.By the way,I mean evil like how Orton used to punt everyone in the head as a heel,not like The Miz turning the W upside down.Or maybe it's because the fans know that the heels would invariably turn face,so they might as well cheer them now.

I'd buy a heel turn if Cena stayed heel for 3-4 years.I'd hate a heel turn where Cena returns to face the moment The Rock leaves to make a movie or the moment The Rock beats Cena and the feud ends.They should build the feud around Cena and not The Rock.Building a feud around a part-time guest is stupid.It's almost Russo-like.I loved the finish to this week's Raw because they gave the momentum to one of the wrestlers and not The Rock.If The Rock had laid out both Cena and The Miz,there might as well not be a WWE title match on Sunday since the bloody host could kick both main eventers' asses.

Having said all of that though,if they are going to turn Cena heel,there's no better time to do it than on sunday since there isn't going to be a bigger face in the WWE than The Rock.Personally I'd love it if Cena joined forces with Vince.That should get the crowd against him.Nothing greater to hate than a corporate champion!

I still don't see a Cena heel turn in the immediate future, especially after last night. The fact that he even mentioned that his fanbase is kids shows that neither he, or the WWE really gives a crap about the 'mature' fans.
We all bang on about merchandise being the main reason he won't turn heel but I still believe the main reason he won't is because (love him or hate him) he's a positive role model to young kids and a guy like this is what the wrestling industry needs at the moment with all the negative press around others.
A Cena turn WILL happen eventually, but until we get someone who can step up as the new top face in the company, it won't be anytime soon

I can not really see him as a heel because a lot of young kids look up to him and to tell the truth are probably his only fans. i do not think that he will give them up.

on another note, he did pretty good last night, everybody hated him that night but once he said what he had to say about half of them were on cena's side

What about this... Cena will defeat the Miz after the rock helps him. then The Rock and Cena will celebrate in the middle of the rinng, shake hands and watnot, then out comes the NuNexus. they surround the ring and are about to attack Cena and The Rock who stand ready in the ring with their backs to each other. Then all of a sudden (This is where Cena goes Heel.) He hits the Rock and Joins Nexus as The champion. Nexus beats down on The Rock. Cena gives him an FU and then leaves Wrestlemania the champ, and a heel and then The rock will start a feud storyline with Nexus and Cena that will be a long storyline and will have a climactic ending with The Rock eventually becoming champion once again.

This is a real shot in the dark but what do you guys think?

Alot of good points everyone.

I for one think that when it all comes down to it, Cena is a reincarnation of Hogan in the 80's. That is just the way it is. Remember, Hogan did not turn until much later in his career and in a different company.

I cannot see Cena out right "heeling". Maybe a Sean Michaels vs Taker or Hogan "heel", but nothing like Hogan where VKM would have to say, once we do this, there is no turning back for aleast 5 years.

Cena likes to be booed by grown ups and cheered by kids. Him and his character relish in that freedom of speech shit. Just leave him alone. He's fine.

PS.............Cena would, but VKM has to do the right thing and let Miz go over 100% clean and Riley-less at WM27. Or else, you've killed his character.

Cena likes to be booed by grown ups and cheered by kids. Him and his character relish in that freedom of speech shit. Just leave him alone. He's fine.

great point, this is what I was trying to get at but couldn't think how to word it.
You can see from Cena's reaction to all the "Cena sucks" chants that it's part of his character that he loves and thrives upon. Who can forget him celebrating with the fans wearing the "I hate Cena" shirts last summer?
I don't think there's anyone else who can provoke such mixed reactions among live fans and I think this is one of the main reasons he shouldn't turn yet because a mixed reaction is better than no reaction.

Cena doesn't need to be heel. Ever.

What he does need to do is turn down this corny Super Cena to such an extent that kids love him and "adults" aren't ashamed to support him.

On a side note even if The Miz gets buried he can still come off well depending on what WWE want, I.e. he could say it took two of the greatest faces to beat him so he's still awesome or turn face and give respect to Cena and the Rock (either way making him a bigger heel or turning him into a substantial face).

Mix WILL come of well after this match unless it's an under minute burial by Super Cena and the Rock...

I think this is the perfect chance to turn Cena. I would love to see a gimmick change to part current Cena and part old school Cena. Get rid of the colorful shirts and marine crap. Go back to the throw backs and the chain gang. Start using the old music but no rap promos. Turn him into a no nonsense heel that comes to the ring angry and ready to kick ass. Hell they could actually do the above and keep him face. Anything is better than the current incarnation. he has more to offer the WWE in general.

In my opinion as much as I want Cena to turn heel, he just seems like a natural babyface; his look, charisma, and demeanor just scream good guy to me. and he clearly knows how to handle the mixed reaction he gets and I now realize he likes it and really is proud of being a role model to kids, which we have to admit isn't a bad thing. I'm not really a Cena mark either but I do like the man.

I don't know. The thing is, his attack on the Rock last night wasn't in character. Cena has never been a guy to attack someone from behind unprovoked. Yeah the Rock talked trash, but so did Cena. It was very out of character. I'll admit I was suprised. I was of course expecting Cena to hop in the ring and help out the Rock. Then when Rock started the people's elbow I was thinking "Cena's gonna grab his leg mid run and trip him, wait no thats not what John Cena is about". Then he attacks him from behind. I mean even Miz went face to face (not that he wouldn't have attacked from behind, butt still). It was a very heel, cowardly move, as there was nothing to indicate that at that moment Rock was gonna jump out of the ring to attack him. I could see a heel turn from this, but I doubt it. I mean honestly then the only face on raw would be Orton, and while he's cool and all that can't be ALL you've got.

i have to tell you guys as much as i hate Cena i am gaining some major respect for the man no matter the crowd reaction he doesn't change who he is he knows hes the role model for all of the younger fans and takes pride in that and teaches them good morals he is the one they look to for inspiration instead of booing Cena because i hate him i boo Cena simply because i like the other guy better. the whole Cena Rock feud has seriously helped me change my mind about Cena and honestly i don't want to see him turn heel anymore. i remember how it felt to find out Hogan was a steroid user and it broke my heart. Cena is the ultimate good guy and should remain that way.

Very good, and i agree 100%!! :worship:

Look to what John Cena has done in the WWE, he wasnt always the Super-Cena, he has to be that now, but im sure that he will change his gimmick soon, and i am part of Cenation and i for sure not am a child!!
I really like the Miz, but i think he should lose at WrestleMania, not because he deserves, but lets face it, his WWE Champiuon reign was by far good, and if he wants to be champ again he should really lose at Mania, because now he has a lot of momentum to stay as a main eventer!!

as much as I'd like to see Cena turn heel, I agree. I dont see it happening just yet. Especially at WM. I mean the only way they could do it is if they turn Miz face simultaneously. I also dont see him winning the title and turning heel, just because I dont believe WWE would have to heel champions back to back especially considering how long Miz has had the title. I want Miz to retain, so the only thing I could see turning Cena heel is if during the match, if The Rock is somehow involved, Cena is constantly talking trash to him throughout. Almost ignoring the Miz. The match continues and finally the Rock has enough and then at a key moment, costs Cena the match. The Miz retains and Cena flips out and attacks both men. Leaving both laying. This way, you turn Cena heel, keep the title on Miz and give him the beginnings of face turn (which would also be aided by the help by the Rock) and you also further the Rock/Cena storyline and set something up for SummerSlam and beyond. I noticed how well Miz could work as a face when he was in the tag match with Cena a few weeks ago and was being beat up on by the Corre. I know ppl were cheering for him simply cuz he was tagging with Cena, but he had some big face spots in that match and got great pops. Turning him heel would be easy. He's one of those wrestlers that when he's a heel, he's HATED but when he's a face he's LOVED. He's never been a true face in the WWE, so I think its about time for that to happen anyway. But the switch would have to come at the same time and be seemless in my opinion.

Cena accomplished something with the FU/AA to Rock last night that has only been done by a handful of people. He established himself as a guy in WWE history that will now never be forgotten. Prior to last night, he was a guy who carried the company and obviously would never be forgotten, but there comes a time when a guy crosses the line into immortality. When this happen for Rock/Austin/Hogan/HHH it allowed them to cross from heel to face whenever they wanted and the crowd would properly respond and accept them either which way. Last night, Cena told Rock he was the company and he wasn't going to be disrespected - he then backed it up by his actions by hitting his move on him.

If they make Cena Heel, he will get major heat, but people will buy it. When they turn him back, they will buy it too. He is now on that level because he looked another man on that level in the face and said so (nobody over the last few years have been on that level for Cena to prove that before).

Cena is flirting with immortality here.. I have to agree, I never really loved John Cena, but he has proven he has the TALENT to be on that level, and a lot of people didn't think he did.. A lot of people assumed he worked hard to get where he was, but he never would have gotten there if the more talented *Cough* Lesnar * Cough* wrestler didn't leave the WWE high and dry he would have been nothing more than an upper-mid carder.

Last night he proved it didn't matter if Lesnar never quit, it dosen't matter that The Rock left to act- John Cena always had the ability AND talent to become the franchise star in a major wrestling promotion. Nobody doubted how hard he worked to get where he is, but a lot of people (Myself included) doubted weather or not he was talented enough to pull it off, or weather he was just the main guy because of circumstance, and lack of other stars.

When Orton stated Cena could outshine The Rock I thought he was off his rocker, but last night John Cena proved just how far he can get when given the best of the best to work with.

I won't go into who is better Cena or the Rock, because I still feel Rocky is in a disscusion with a select few to be the "greatest of all time".. Last night Cena set the foundation to be included in that disscussion when he decides his career is over.

This is what's gonna happen.

Miz is gonna win at WM, leaving a hurt Cena in the middle of the ring as Miz leaves the stage. A minute or two later, Rock's music is gonna hit and hes gonna walk to the ring with a grin, seeing a battered and helpless Cena in the ring. He sits patiently behind Cena, waiting for him to get him so he can deliver a Rock Bottom, and the Miz will come out and hit Rock with the belt. Then Miz and Cena team up on the Rock, its gonna be like Stone Cold and VKM at WM17. That's all I got, lol.

does anyone remember a few weeks ago, when we were all wondering why "creative" would have the rock come back and target the company's biggest star, and let him tear that star down with some of the sickest promos we've seen in years?

well, as much as i hate to say it, maybe this was their plan all along. judging from what i'm reading here, a lot of people are either leaning back towards cena, or at least admitting a newfound respect. it's as if this entire angle was a ploy to tear cena down, only to make him bigger.... taking one step back to go two steps forward, so to speak.
somehow, just when we thought the rock was shooting & exposing his true feelings about cena, he was actually playing a character.... the stereotypical cena-hater. and what better way for cena to defeat his ultimate opponent, the cena detractors, than by making a legend the mouthpiece for all the cena criticisms, and once again have cena come out on top.

or perhaps the plan was the opposite; to have epic rock promos steer cena into a heel turn. but, as they often do, the plan had the opposite effect: all of a sudden cena is gaining a bigger fanbase.

would i like to see heel cena? sure, why not... i'm not a fan of his schtick now, so i couldn't like heel cena much less. but i agree with many of you... i don't see it right now... especially if the plan all along was to propel cena to the next level by getting over on one of the all-time greats. and if it was the plan all along, then well-played by the rock... i bought into his vitriol since he first mentioned cena's name!

good thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back