I Have Always Been An Attitude Era Guy, but....

NathanFantastic

NineInchNathan
About 1-2 year(s) ago, I personally thought that the WWE creative team really lost some sort of credability with the booking, storylines, characteristics of certain superstars ect ect. But over the last 6 months, they really got my attention with the way things have changed in the past yearvor so.

We have seen CM Punk become one of the top superstars of today.

We have seen the breakthrough of a serious heel Christian push.

We have seen The Uso brothers come out of nowhere and put on some high quality matches with The New Nexus.

We have seen The Rock, Stone Cold And HHH come back to the television (Not full time though obviously).

R Truth has a pretty solid gimmick that has the kids and adults entertained too.

For all the Attitude fans, we have seen some pretty edgy stuff for a PG product to keep the older fans interested.

Damn, even John Cena is being used in a great way in the rivalry with Punk.

The list goes on. I have quite enjoyed the past 6-10 months of WWE and I never thought I would ever say that again.

Do you guys feel as if WWE has found it's path again?

MODERATOR'S NOTE:
STAY ON TOPIC! This isn't about TNA, or bashing/praising the Attitude Era, etc. All off topic responses will be deleted and/or infracted. Thank you.

Its been a great past 10-12 months. Reminds me of the year 1998. The year that the Attitude era kicked in and before they really got any appreciation even though they were putting on a stellar product.

The first Raw i watched in nearly ten years was the new years episode after being bought Bret Harts autobiography for christmas this year, and apart from a slight lull following Wrestlemania where nothing particularly gripping was happening, I cant really see where the criticisms of this new PG era come from. 2011 has been an amazing year for wrestling, and some of the characters are clearly destined for greatness and popularity that can maybe even match Austin, Rock and HHH. I can definitely see Miz, CM Punk and Cena being equals to those 3 in the future, and then theres still the likes of Orton and even Christian and Truth who are credible main eventers.

My only criticism is that the midcard lacks storylines. Sure its got the talent, its got the gimmicks, and its got feuds, but what are they all about? Its just 2 competitors having a series of matches against each other. Back in the attitude era the likes of Val Venis, D'Lo Brown, Ken Shamrock and Bob Holly were always involved in storylines and it didnt matter if they were ridiculous or in bad taste or whatever, at least you understood Why they were fighting. Now they just dont like each other. Apart from that though, I agree that WWE has found its path again, as I've read on wikipedia about a lot of the current rosters past storylines etc from the last 5 years or so and they dont sound like I missed much.

Broski of the week I agree.. Ken Shamrock was a badass and Venis was different and the IC championship was alot more important back then than what it is today so the Mid-Craders had something to fight for but yeah, I Think 2011 has been freakin' awesome compared to the last few years, it could even get better =D

First off...mikde, you should change your Signature since moving signatures are not permitted.

Second...Another AE thread? Sheesh. The AE was great more because of the stars that were around at the time than it was for the writing/booking. While WWE was not void of complete duds, they had more top stars. Too bad alot of the high-spots and brutal hardcore matches shortened alot of their careers and in some cases shortened their lives.

The last little while has shown that PG or TV 14 ratings don't matter half as much as the actual product that is being put forth. Compelling story-telling doesn't necessarily need all the blood and sex and swearing that the AE brought us. I will agree with the one that said the mid-card needs work. Not necessarily the talent in the mid-card, but the story-telling and selling the importance of the I.C./U.S. Championships. It would only take one really good fued to start to put those titles back on the map, but the key is to maintain quality fueds for them.

Has the WWE found its path again? I wouldn't say they're 100 percent back on track but they've definately improved. Last year I stopped watching WWE as regular as I used to but since the return of the ROCK earlier this year I've been much more intrigued, hek I can't remember the last time I actually couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen on the next show, they've definitely become more edgier in the past couple of months (foul language, brutality in matches,brutal attacks) which is more pleasing to older audiences such as myself. The storyline with CM punk imo is the best thing that's happened in ages im loving it! However its just the limited amount of moves that superstars use that's beats the crap out of me, I mean come on they've watered down the WWE so much the least they could do is put on some awesome matches with each star having a wide variety of moves like it used to be and make em look a little more realistic

I agree with Broski, the only problem I'm seeing right now is the lack of storylines for the mid carders as well... Sometimes that is where your money storyline is, but for now we only have one or two major storylines and the rest get lost in the mix. Even Miz and Ary had a nice little storyline going that didnt' really have a pay off. The closest to a mid card feud is jomo truth, but that'll probably end by summerslam (though punk cena may as well, which would suck).

No.. What We're watching now is still not enough.. Match buildups plus boring match all the time is not going to live forever.... During attitude era we could see lot of storylines..'remember jamie noble and nidia try to earn money in Wwe' that looked real back then..but now It's ridiculous buildup for a fake, scripted match...the only thing lacking right now is ' lots of writing'...I mean Wwe writers need to work a lot... Bring in lots of backstage dramas....bring back mid card main events... And reduce the frequency of championship matches (maybe only at ppv or less...) that would show the worth of a belt... And finally for god sake make the diva's real(who are now just a screaming dolls) ...

Wow, there have been a lot of intelligent posts in this discussion already (that kinda surprises me, considering the usual "opinionated" posts from rabid Attitude Era fans...although there was one or two of those as well). Sorry, I mean that in a good way.

I agree, WWE programming HAS been better in 2011 than it has been over the last few years. I think the performers are starting to get a little more freedom than they had been getting, over their promos & characters. We're also starting to see the performers care more about putting out a good product. Those are the things that really matter, IMHO. If you've got a bunch of wrestlers that are just going through the motions (& don't really believe in the product they're selling), then of course the product is going to suck.

I think wrestling (as a whole) has been better in 2011. Yes, I'm including TNA/IW in that statement. Coincidence? Probably not. I think the employees from both companies are striving to put out a good product...at least more so than in the recent past. I also believe that WWE has been better because they know that TNA/IW could become a threat (eventually). Now, before I get jumped on - I'm not saying that WWE sees TNA as an immediate threat, or even considers that TNA could become a threat in the near-future. I'm just saying that WWE might be producing a better product so that TNA does NOT become a viable threat at all; as a precautionary measure. Does that make sense? I think TNA might have lit a fire under the WWE's collective asses.

First off...mikde, you should change your Signature since moving signatures are not permitted.

Second...Another AE thread? Sheesh. The AE was great more because of the stars that were around at the time than it was for the writing/booking. While WWE was not void of complete duds, they had more top stars. Too bad alot of the high-spots and brutal hardcore matches shortened alot of their careers and in some cases shortened their lives.

The last little while has shown that PG or TV 14 ratings don't matter half as much as the actual product that is being put forth. Compelling story-telling doesn't necessarily need all the blood and sex and swearing that the AE brought us. I will agree with the one that said the mid-card needs work. Not necessarily the talent in the mid-card, but the story-telling and selling the importance of the I.C./U.S. Championships. It would only take one really good fued to start to put those titles back on the map, but the key is to maintain quality fueds for them.

First the thread really wasnt about the AE it was him saying he WAS an AE fan but is ENJOYING TODAYS product..SHEESH...second most of the wrestlers from the attitude era are still involved and can still go if needed. Foley can still put on a 2 star match, hey, its a match and Taker has gone strong for a minute now. Austin is the main one with physical limitations but even he said he could go another 3 years if needed. SO I disagree with basically all of what you said. Yep.

On to the thread, I am also a AE thoroughbred. I got interested in Orton before he turned face where he plays to the crowd because he reminded me of Austin and I have latched onto CM Punk because he has been voicing OUR concerns however outside of just that, WWE has been trying hard to please the fans. If you dont see it, you will never see it. So please dont let me see anyone say WWE isnt trying because their is no competition. WWE has acknowledge TNA a lot lately too and thats a good thing.

Thank you silrock..

I was a proper Attitude boy back in the day but this thread is about the present. I was not talking about the Attitude Era.

But yeah, I agree with most of the posts, 2011 has been great so far. And if it stays on this path then it could only lead to greater things.

But yeah, I agree with most of the posts, 2011 has been great so far. And if it stays on this path then it could only lead to greater things.

2011 has been a great year
PPV wise it's been amazing with the exception of over the limit.

Punk is being pushed to the moon IMO.
WWE is slowly and I mean it when I say SLOWLY starting to give Zack Ryder more airtime:icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

Just one thing though this may sound stupid but Randy Orton is being pushed too much and just burying others:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Overall I think this era is catching up with the attitude era.
If I would have to rate it from 1(2008 wwe) to 10(attitude era) I'd give it a 7/8 just because of randy orton and that I loved the attitude era

I have been impressed with WWE so far this year. They have created great gimmicks for wrestlers such as R-Truth and Mark Henry. There has been many memorable matches such as Triple H Vs Undertaker and Punk Vs Cena. Stars have been given their deserved pushes such as Punk and Christian, also there has been some great feuds such as the current Punk Vs Cena and Orton Vs Christian (although I'm getting a bit bored of it now). Hopefully WWE keeps it up but for some reason I think they're going to disappoint us.

100% agree with you. This year has been really good and to be honest i am happy that they have been pushing the limit of PG now but that is the least of my positives of current WWE. CM Punk gets alot of credit for making wrestling very entertaining at the moment but other people like Cena deserves credit for working a great match with Punk and helping this storyline be a success.

Punk is also right we are moving from the PG era although WWE is still PG that era was where we had strict language and childish storylines now we are seeing much more realistic storylines and moderate language which is why we are moving to this "Reality Era" which seriously needs to catch on with the IWC. WWE has these boom periods which means they have REALLY good episodes and then after a while get boring quick hopefully it stays good.

The AE was great more because of the stars that were around at the time than it was for the writing/booking. While WWE was not void of complete duds, they had more top stars. Too bad alot of the high-spots and brutal hardcore matches shortened alot of their careers and in some cases shortened their lives.

I agree with you 100%, guys like Austin, Rock, Triple H, Foley, Taker, Kane, Angle etc. made the Attitude Era what it was. The booking during the Attitude Era was downright horrible if you really look at it. It was more about how far they could push the envelope more than smart booking. I think the booking right now is as good as it has been in a long time from a wrestling standpoint, only problem is it seems they never have a payoff planned out for their good angles. I will go back the last few years and say Taker/Triple H was booked beautifully, Cena/Punk is starting off great, R. Truth is being booked very good right now and even the Cena/Batista program was done decent. I think the original Nexus angle, the Raw GM angle and The Miz/Riley angle were all great concepts the first one being one of the most exciting angles in years to begin with, it just seems that the bookers don't know how to close the story. Nexus was booked into oblivion, and from what I seen Friday, they are still trying to milk it. The Raw GM went on wayyyy too long, and now we will probably never find out who was behind it and The Miz/Riley fued did nothing but make Miz look weak. As far as the Attitude Era if it wouldn't have been for the stars it would have been awful. Some of the angles from the era were probably the dumbest things I have ever seen on wrestling period. I get tired of reading these Attitude Era postings, go back and watch an episode of Raw forget how good the stars were and see how awful it was.

The problem with giving everyone an angle and every segment being some sort of angle is that you quickly run out of thing to do because then its just re-doing everything and just changing a very small aspect of a past storyline.

I really think the midcard should be more about wrestling and whose the better "wrestler", like old school wrestling, while saving the ideas that have alot of depth and emotion for those in the main event level so then you can stretch ideas out along a longer period of time and not run the risk of doing the same thing over and over.

The problem is, the attitude era was all about hot-shotting for ratings, everyone had an angle, and eventually, there isn't anything left that you can do that hasn't been done, unless you have one of your divas get raped by Michael Cole.

The knocks of PG WWE I do not think are really warranted because considering what they have to work with in terms of storylines, they are doing a pretty good job doing some "different" things over the last year or so.

Definetley! I never really criticized what they were doing before, as they were still keeping me intrested. My only thing with WWE is the years 2008- early 2010 is that they were predictable up UNTIL the Nexus angle. And since then, in my opinion they have went up hill very solidly. I mean the return of the Rock, to Punk's promo. Then HHH becoming new chairman and the acknoledgement of other companies out there has just got me excited week in and week out.

i'd like to say that WWE is limited on big house hold names. So they are keep people intrested by making awesome storylines. Sure, maybe this means the overuse of stars like Cena or Orton but if its the best you got then exploit it. And i think they have done just that. All of these storylines would not have the same effect if they did not involve Cena. So like him or not, he is really a big part of WWE staying afloat here (not to say they wouldnt survive without Cena but i hope your getting what i'm saying).

Plus, using HHH in the role he is being used now is genius. And CM Punk, words cant describe what a big influence he has had on it. to be honest, i never though CM Punk had what it took to be "big time" in the WWE, but he and WWE have proved me wrong. Its just a good time to be a wrestling fan.

The wrestling is definitely better now than it was during the attitude era. Most AE matches were just slugfests and brawls for the most part. Countouts and DQs didn't exist, especially in the main events. I think the promos were better in the AE however, as the wrestlers werent as restricted and were allowed to put their own personality into their character. Now it seems the WWE is starting to do that again, and yes, I have been way more entertained as of late. Seems like ever since the Miz got the title and ended his feud with Lawler, things have steadily gotten better. Hopefully this trend continues!

I think the last time I was interested in a feud over a mid-card title was when Miz was feuding with Daniel Bryan. It had an excellent backdrop story, and the promos were very clever and emotional. I think before then I'd have to say that the last time I was ACTUALLY interested in a US Title feud was back when MVP was fighting Matt Hardy over the course of a year. Awesome story telling.

When was the last time a mid-card title actually got any attention around Wrestlemania? It was scheduled for this year but there was certainly no story around the bout between Sheamus and DBD... And the match wasn't even televised!

the ideas are flowing again but they are rushing things. cm punk's return should have taken a month, not a couple weeks. that is their biggest problem right now - their timing is off. they really need to learn again how to let angles play out naturally and not rush them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back