The Attitude Era Should Remain Dead...

YES/NO

No we don't need the crazy stuff by to be honest a little blood in matches esp. cage type matches I could see happen.

Yes in letting the "wrestlers" loose, letting them talk and be themselves and the cream will rise to the top. CM Punk is proving that if you let someone take some control over their character it can go a long way.

Imagine if Steve Austin was always scripted, we would never have had a 3:16 moment and he would have flamed out as the Ringmaster. The Rock wouldn't have let loose with some of his comments etc. Turn guys like Morrison, Miz etc. loose and see who sinks and who swims but for gods sake take them off script.

I wouldn't want to see the return of hardcore matches or chair shots but you can let the wrestlers have attitude and not script their every move/speech...

OMGZOMGSHITCRAP ATTITUDE ERA RULES DEATH TO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no but really it was a good era but it shouldnt be revived. it would just bring old stuff that we already saw. How can we move foward if we are stuck in the past? Whats done is done.

there will never be another attitude era people. so get the hell over it! learn to like the product for what it is, i know its not the best but for the better part of this years its been fairly good. if you want more edgy-ness watch TNA where you have cycling storyline in which you miss a week or 2 your totally lost and where you have random "asshole" and beeped out cuss words just to seem edgy.

The biggest thing I liked about the attitude era was the crowds. Everything seems better when the live crowd goes bat **** crazy. Everyone was over and it was fun to watch. I do however agree that there was a lot of garbage during this time but the comedy wasn't so lame and we had a few bad asses that were WAY over. Not to mention I was younger and people tend to look back on things more fondly when they remember them. Lately the "PG era" has been fun to watch. Punk is great and I'm a fan of the Miz. I also think I would enjoy Cena much more if he wasn't in the title picture so much.

1st of all, the AE wasn't all about blood, sexuality, and curse. Now as far as bringing back A, no I don't want to see it happen, even if they want to, they won't succeed. You see what made the AE that big is and unpredictability and the quality of the superstars they had back then, guys like austin, rock, taker, hhh, foley, jericho, benoit, angle, eddie, hardyz, dudleyz, edge and christian. Not to mention involvment of the mcmahon family. You see you have three icons and a bunch of legends in the roster and ALL of them are in thier prime.

Considering the war that was going between wcw and the wwf, all the superstars in the fed were going ALL out to make sure they survive the battle. Another thing, vince was more cautious with his decision making(for example: Selecting his champions). He was more focused, and determined.

The bottom line is everybody was in his A-game during the AE, unlike today...

The Attitude era was my favourite time in wrestling but it shouldn't be replicated deliberately because it will never succeed.
The business should follow a natural progression, that's how the original attitude era came. Maybe there will be a time for blood, bra and panties, asshole chants (I do miss these) and ho's again, but it should happen naturally, not deliberately brought in to try and replicate the past.

The danger of the attitude era and the over the top sex references definately should never return, however the best bits of the "Attitude" era was the unpredictability, the perfect mix of story, soap, comedy and physicality. And everyone got a shot at some limelight.

As others said and i have said numerous times to friends over the years, there was alot of times during that era that i felt they went way too far and were going to burn in hell.

And well they did :p they were left with bugger all stars and moved to crappy "reality" stars/diva's instead of wrestlers. So everyone suffered.

WWE has obviously been pushing a new revolution the past few years and with Punk putting that nail in the coffin, hopefully they don't mess it up and continue a new era of "wrestling" entertainment instead of dull reality crap and something for everyone, it won't be Attitude but it doesn't need to be, just be compelling a bit if edge and alot of OMFG.....

I think that we don't need blood, chair shots and high-stunts again (although I did enjoy them at the time). I believe that the revolution in wrestling will be ultimately guided by how the WWE build their characters and storylines.

In the "Attitude Era", they had "wrestling writers" (say what you want about Vince Russo, but he came from a background as a wrestling magazine writer), but now they have writers who write for TV shows and movies, not for wrestling. So "wrestling" characters and reasons for two superstars having a grudge aren't explained well enough or creative enough, making people not care. Whereas the Austin-Mcmahon storyline was a very well-constructed storyline, and it allowed the development of both the "Stone Cold" Steve Austin character into a mega-star, and the evil Mr McMahon character. You had a memorable storyline and two distinct and unique personas. You knew why Austin and Vince hated each other, and the story was compelling enough to make you tune in each week, to see "what happened next". That's great storyline writing!

In regards to blood, I think they should do it this way. I agree with not having blood, but when a superstar bleeds for real, let it go. I remember a Christian v Shelton Benjamin Ladder Match at TLC '09, where Christian bled hardway, and Shelton mounted the ladder, about to do a stunt, when the doctors ran down and tried to clean the blood off Christian. Shelton had to stand on the ladder and wait. It looked ridiculous (a cool twist would have been for Shelton to have jumped and taken out both Christian AND the two doctors). Hardway blood rarely happens, so if it happens in a match, and you let it go, it adds to it (provided it doesn't create a health risk for the competitors). Don't do blading, but let real blood go.

I think the attitude era was a great time for the WWE but I agree, its best to move on rather than go into re-runs. Plus it would never work in this time, there is no way the likes of Rey Mysterio or John Cena could play up to the roles of Steve Austin or The Rock, I think it's fine the way it is. But, the elimination chamber needs to be a little better, its just that the people they throw in there now just doesnt cut it with me. Plus the matches are really stale. Plus more creativity is needed. WWE would be amazing if they had great stories going on throughout the show. Rather than have the interview with the same thing "I'm going to win my match tonight watch out blah blah blah"

The one thing I miss about the attitude era is the crowd. The crowd was a majority men between 15-35 and man were they LOUD. The crowd really does add a lot to the feel of the matches (see Punk/Cena MITB) and now with the kids it seems like they're there for Cena and Mysterio only and don't cheer anyone else. IDK if it matters to other people but that's the thing I miss the most.

However, the wrestling is way better now since the AE was pretty much all brawls and beatdowns, especially in the main events. I think the wrestlers today are better in the ring and could wrestle circles around a lot of the AE guys.

The biggest difference I feel however is in the promos. In the AE, the wrestlers had more free reign to inject their personality into their promos and it really came off as emotional and authentic. With today's script heavy segments we don't get that anymore. I personally would love to hear the Miz, Sheamus, CM Punk, Cena, Orton etc go off the cuff. With the PG rating though, the WWE has to be strict about this. It does seem that they've loosened things up lately and the promos have been enthralling so hopefully this continues.

There is a happy medium between the AE and today's PG product and I feel the WWE is working towards finding it. Seems to me things are getting a lot better and hopefully they run with it.

Well I have been a wrestling fan since 2001 , so I didn't really see much of the attitude era, I have WWE for like 10 years but I am so sick of hearing about the attitude era. Its important to move on, if people continue on with it then wwe will never advance in its product.

I've only been watching wrestling since 2005, at that time I believe the attitude era had long been dead, but at that time things were a lot more edgier in WWE than they are now and while I don't wish for a full blown attitude era to begin in the WWE I do however wish they would just make things a tad more edgy which would make the product look a little more realistic. Blood in wwe has been banned due to safety and health reasons (or so I hear) but why in the hek couldn't they use fake blood once in a while and make shit look just a little more believable? Most promos lack aggression and just seem scripted and generic. Add a little more damn agression to your tone when you speak! Oh and if we haven't suffered enough with all the watered down crap then its the crappy matches put on with each wrestler having a limited move set

One simple equation for improving the current product without bringing back an era that was epic and everything it couldve been but unfortunately now its dead. The answer is to give the superstars a better chance to show there moves off and creativity and same with the writers all this new era needs is for the wreslers to be themselves to be great stars let them come up with new ideas for putting "There" character over. Thats all they did in the attitude era is let the wrestlers come up with there own idea of how to make a show and just proof read and take aspects from that and use it in there shows.

I Love The WWE's Current ERA its going into With CM Punk Leading The way and the rock being the legend to see yet another era through he seen the attitude era the reality era and the PG era through only superstar that has really came back to see the eras in to see them through other then HHH Vince and maybe to an extent Stone Cold & The Undertaker

The Attitude era won't come back and it shouldn't but I agree that some aspects of it should come back. People just miss the unpredictable storylines and very talented roster. Hell, even the not too talented wrestlers from that era were fun to watch; Al Snow anyone? I loved watching that guy make a fool out of himself. The match against himself was epic. We don't need swear words and blood every night. What we need is that unpredictability and that reality value that Punk is bringing in.

Sure, I love to watch highspots in wrestling but I agree that they should be done sparingly now in order to preserve the shock value of them as well as keeping people safe. However, this era has the potential of being fantastic. We have a great number of talented wrestlers who can put on 5 star matches when given the chance. Most of them just need to work on their mic skills or need a new gimmick.

All these wrestlers that are coming from ROH and the indies are so great in the ring and I'm glad the E is taking notice of them. I could see Punk, Jon Moxley, Tyler Black and others being future Wrestlemania headliners. I'd like to see a complete shift in headlining talent by Wrestlemania 30.

I hate when people say, "if you want blood, vulgarity, and sexy women, you're not a true wrestling fan." That is such bullshit. It's unrealistic to believe that these wrestlers NEVER bleed, after getting punched in the face, hit with sledgehammers, face raked on steel cages, ladders rams into their heads. Like, the blood completely adds to the match. Turning your rival into a bloody mess enhances the match/rivalry every single time. And when these guys hate each other, being a little vulgar is absolutely understandable, especially when the two wrestlers "hate" each other. And I love wrestling, and I also love sexy women, why wouldn't I want the two to mix together?

I don't miss the attitude era as much as I miss the middle era.The middle era is a name I made myself which was the "era" between 2002 to 2008 or maybe 2007 which was the era which Edge,Rapper John Cena (who wasn't as bad as superhero Cena) Undertaker,Triple H,Batista,Randy Orton etc. were in the show guys like Brock Lesnar and Goldberg were bloodied but they also delivered.The attitude era was amazing but it was jackshit compared to the middle era you probably all loved IMO.You had Chris Benoit who made me feel as if technical wrestling was still alive.Let's say this
Attitude era = A PG era = B
Attitude Era
100% A 0% B
PG Era 5% A 95% B
But the middle era
65% A 35% B
It had some balance and I felt as if WWE could still use that style as you wouldn't have kids say "Daddy why are those to girls making out and why are you touching your Pee pee" and as of late more and more kids I know (friends children etc.) the more of them get pissed of at John Cena most kids like high flying types (who was also in the middle era) but there parents say "look John Cena is so awesome he said please and thank you"
In the middle era you wouldn't have kids faces look like this :icon_neutral: when they see John Cena and you wouldn't see them look like this :confused: when they see two girls making out. I think they would look like this :gasp::gasp::gasp: . Personally it's all the parents' fault they teach there kids that these things are bad and blah blah blah when as kids they watched the attitude era at it's finest.

If you believe the title of this thread, then you either A.) Were not around for the Attitude era or B.) Failed to see the point of it.

Having an "Attitude" era of today, would not mean a "Rehash" of storylines as some said... It was about the unpredictable nature of it, it was about the WRESTLING in it, the gore of it all... NEW Matches.. I'm willing to say, during the attitude era (including wcw) we had more NEW gimmick matches then at any other time in the history of the business.

It made it seem like it hadn't been done before, as if it was "special" and new.

Today's watered down crap you see the same two *entertainers* go on, over and over and over... They "wrestle" twenty million times it seems before its over and done with to the point you think to yourself..."Whats the point."

I loved it when there were talented wrestlers going out there every show, willing to do whatever it took. Now-a-days, these hacks don't bleed, they barely use wrestling maneuvers and we have a twelve million time World Champion in John Cena.

Today's wrestling makes me glad that there is a TiVo button to bloop threw 3/4 of the show.

It's not so much about the era and the wrestlers... It is about show quality, match quality and so forth.. Which in the last five years has gone downhill, even worse is that last year...

IMO the reason the wrestlers back then were so good was all down to experience...many of the roster back in the AE had been all over the world learning their craft but that kinda haulted in the mid 00s when they started pushing WWE born and bred guys who were pretty much picked from the gym and put straight onto tv after a few months training...However we are creeping onto old ground again as many of the indie stars are getting contracts with the E...people like hero, cabana, castagnoli, punk, bourne, black ect have all had the chance to travel the world and improve their craft with different styles for many many years...its a damn exciting time to be a wrestling fan!

As long as the wrestling itself remains good and watchable, you won't hear any complaints out of me

And WWE has those rare instances of a TLC match and that's just as good in my book

What is Attitood Error?

*EDIT* Definitely thought this was in the spam section...my bad.

I really do think the Attitude Era should remain gone. THe more it is pointed at and compared to the current product, the longer it will take for things to move forward, at least in the IWC. The AE was amazing and will never be successfully duplicated no matter how hard they try. The WWE product is always changing. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes not, but it is always changing. It can be cyclical with certain things, but overall the McMahon family has always reinvented the product.

One thing that has come out to me is that people seem to blur when the attitude era began and when it ended. 'The Attitude Era' was actually very short (1998 maybe 1997 - 2000)? And the wrestling standards in this era was usually terrible (apart from 2000 and some 2001) and the main thing that people seem to confuse is when Womens wrestling became credible, which it didn't until around 2002/2003 during the attitude era it was in a much worse state then it is now.... well it depends how much you want to bas one out over the divas I spose ;)

I don't really want it back, back when I was 12 or so it was amazing because I didn't no repruccsions but now I hope that people are more intelligent and stay away from that sort of shit, especially in ring, for everyones health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back