How Do You Think We Should View The Old School?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Simple question, really, and just something I was thinking about. We all have different backgrounds to professional wrestling, and it’s something that has taken up a large portion of our past, present, and potentially pur future. Admittedly, this section takes a good portion of nostalgia to keep it running, as well as a good portion of understanding how it works. Part of the Old School Section, admittedly, is pulling back the curtain. Like Dorothy exposing the Great Wizard, part of what makes the Old School is taking a good part of the past, looking at it from a realistic standpoint, and taking it at face value. Granted, that becomes extremely difficult at times, because we all love our memories. We all have those memories of wrestling that, to some extent, we wished were real. It would make us feel better to go back to that time, innocent as possible to how we felt professional wrestling "worked", and where we knew everything that was going on was the real deal. No one, not your parents, your friends, your siblings, your pets, no one could prove to you it was "fake", the cursed four letters that if said compared to professional wrestling, would launch a tantrum the likes of which would make an eight year old proud.

Right, Vader?

[YOUTUBE]q_QuQtnxWMU[/YOUTUBE]​

By the way, love how The Undertaker just sits there as cool and calm as possible. Absolutely love it.

The point of being, in The Old Section, we must shed away all sense that what we're watching is better than the new product, just because we grew up in that era. In the Old School Section, I feel it's important to not assume that the product is better just because we were younger, but realistically, and unprejudiced, point to what was good about a wrestling era, and what was wrong. For example, I've heard plenty of people claim the "Attitude Era" was a shit era for wrestling, an era in which the raunchy angles drove the show, rather than the "Golden Era", in which wrestling was the driving factor of the show. Of course, some of us grew up in the Attitude Era, and others in the Golden Era. Naturally, it's going to bring up hotly contested debates regarding the matter, and that is of course led by the nostalgic feelings brought up by the memories of our childhood, or perhaps our introduction into wrestling. What I find to be more the case, as expected, is those that come from a certain era can't help but feel as though there era is just that much better, regardless of any sense of evidence put out by the person they're arguing against. What I feel is often lost in the shuffle is any sense of objectivity, in taking a realistic glance at the era in which one comes from. This leads to skewed debates, which get absolutely nowhere, and leave us at an impasse the likes of which perhaps will never be solved. The lack of ability from wrestling fans to view something with objectivity is something that, admittedly while kinda cool, also leaves a particularly negative stigma on wrestling fans. The fact that we're so damn objective about our product we love so much, and can't bring ourselves to ultimately accept that our television, our PPVs, our house shows, and our wrestlers both have positive and negative traits to them leaves the stereotypical image to the mainstream media of the belligerent wrestling fan. As wrestling fans, I personally feel we never do the company in which we support, or the time era in which we were fans, justice by glossing over the negative aspects of a program. It’s akin to the child who puts his fingers in his ears, and bellows as loudly as possible, “La-la-la-la-la”. Far too often, especially in this section, I see people arguing they’re case, not with objective facts and data, but raw, seat of the pants “everyone knew” facts, and a bleeding heart. For every well thought out and developed post, there comes a chorus of posts to tear the OP down, blinded by the sheer rage that anyone could begin to question their era. It’s almost as though someone took their Jack Johnson, and whipped it in their face, or even worse, like someone would dare to question their fan hood, in some Freudian manner.

Personally, I feel as though this is the wrong way to look at wrestling. I have no issue with a fan having passion for the business, but I do hold issues with those that can’t allow themselves to look at the topic discussed in an unbiased matter. Objectivity is the one and only way one can accept the promotion in which one was a fan of at the time, and learn more about that promotion. To say The Attitude Era was a better era compared to The Golden Era is something that can’t be done by pointing out merely all the good within the promotion within that given era. Rather, both sides must come to an agreement that, indeed, both eras shared a sense of both good and bad. There is no quantifiable way to support your argument without, at the least, acknowledging that the side in which you’re arguing isn’t perfect itself. Too often, people neglect to admit that something is wrong with the era in which they used to watch, and looking at the program from an impartial standpoint. I feel as though, as it pertains to The Old School, if one is to have a credible argument, they must do so by understanding the context of the era, the competition in place, and the wrestlers which surround whatever one considers “Old School”. That, partially, is the aim of the JTMFTG. Some of the gimmicks in there, while bad, also had a context of the era, and other such things. The Underfaker gimmick, because I grew up in it, didn’t seem bad to me as a child, but in looking back, I’ve realized it was not good. However, it wasn’t bad because of the actual angle itself, but rather, the context in which it was taking place. We’ve seen far goofier, and indeed more asinine angles get over in other eras, in which wrestling fans were more accepting to the inane, and otherwise illogical. Hell, The Undertaker himself is an asinine gimmick that got over in an era in which fans were more accepting to the inane, and otherwise illogical. Placing the Underfaker in another era, potentially, could have been the difference between the gimmick getting over, and not getting over.

There’s plenty of ways to view the Old School. I personally choose a manner in which objectifies everything one sees, and places no era on a pedestal, based on my uprbringing. How do you think we should review all that is “Old School”?

This is for you, Tenta. I even read a good chunk of the opening post - a rarity for me these days. What you're asking me is if we should allow nostalgia to cloud our view of old school wrestling or if we should try out darndest to view it objectively, correct? A'ight, let's kick it.

I first started watching wrestling in the mid-90's. My memory of that period is actually pretty fuzzy. However, when I see a match or a promo that reminds me of an angle I enjoyed, it's like showing me a clip of an old TV show I barely remember. It makes me all warm and - I can't believe I've used this word twice already - fuzzy inside and reminds me of simpler times. Here, I'll give you an example - Austin getting fired.

[YOUTUBE]wGe_Nx9leHU[/YOUTUBE]

I can't tell you what year or pay-per-view this is. The video probably spells it out pretty clearly but I haven't actually watched it in a while. Do I want to sacrifice the awesome nostalgic feeling I get from watching something like that for the sake of overanalysis? Hell no.

It's not that I have a desire to put old wrestling up to lower standards, it's just that back then, I had lower standards. Wrestling was probably better too, but y'know, that's neither here nor there.

Overanalysis doesn't help anyone. I try to take what I watch at face value, which is why I haphazardly declare most things either "shit" or "pretty decent" without even giving a second thought. This approach means that when I watch old, old videos - i.e. ones from before I watched wrestling or from another country - I'll often wonder what the guy who recommended them to me as the "best thing ever" was smoking. Most likely, he was wearing rose-tinted glasses.

That said, I'll always be in favour of rose-tinted glasses. Stop trying to rob people of their childhood, you monster.

This is for you, Tenta. I even read a good chunk of the opening post - a rarity for me these days.

Sweet!

What you're asking me is if we should allow nostalgia to cloud our view of old school wrestling or if we should try out darndest to view it objectively, correct?

Yeah, that's the jist of it, pretty much.

A'ight, let's kick it.

Or get evicted.

Dr. Dre, reprasent!

I first started watching wrestling in the mid-90's. My memory of that period is actually pretty fuzzy. However, when I see a match or a promo that reminds me of an angle I enjoyed, it's like showing me a clip of an old TV show I barely remember. It makes me all warm and - I can't believe I've used this word twice already - fuzzy inside and reminds me of simpler times. Here, I'll give you an example - Austin getting fired.

[YOUTUBE]wGe_Nx9leHU[/YOUTUBE]

True, but even then, we have to acknolwedge wrestling has evolved with time. Part of promoter's ultimate mistake is that they failed to evolve with the times, and more placed the same old same old on our cards. We didn't ask for the promoters to evolve, until it was far too late. Why? Because we can't be objective regarding our rasslin.

I can't tell you what year or pay-per-view this is. The video probably spells it out pretty clearly but I haven't actually watched it in a while.

Well, you can't tell anything from the embedding, as it won't play. Damned Youtube.

Do I want to sacrifice the awesome nostalgic feeling I get from watching something like that for the sake of overanalysis? Hell no.

no one's asking that when you're sitting down and just watching, that the nostalgia has to go. But you can have nostalgic feelings, in the meantime acknowledging both the good and bad. For example, the bad of that you knew Steve Austin would come back in a weeks time, without any logic behind it, so why not accept that some of the writing was, to some extent, abhorrent? That is, if abhorrent has an extent, really.

It's not that I have a desire to put old wrestling up to lower standards, it's just that back then, I had lower standards. Wrestling was probably better too, but y'know, that's neither here nor there.

Hmm.... Now see, there's something to be said for that. We all had lower standards, because when we first learned to enjoy wrestling, we had no standards. That's ultimately my point, good sir; we've built up years of expectations from our nostalgic memories (Oh, and yes, maybe the wrestling is better) that it overall hinders the product of the future, by our biased memories.

Kno wat I'm sayinn.....

Overanalysis doesn't help anyone. I try to take what I watch at face value, which is why I haphazardly declare most things either "shit" or "pretty decent" without even giving a second thought. This approach means that when I watch old, old videos - i.e. ones from before I watched wrestling or from another country - I'll often wonder what the guy who recommended them to me as the "best thing ever" was smoking. Most likely, he was wearing rose-tinted glasses.

See, that's my point, is that we have to factor in context. The context means everything to what wer're watching. Without the context of knowing we're in the PG Era, we'd all think John Cena is just a goody two shoes. Some of us do, because we can't remember to contextualize the era he's in.

And in doing so, the wrestling suffers in the present, because of the past.

That said, I'll always be in favour of rose-tinted glasses. Stop trying to rob people of their childhood, you monster.

Lady Gaga type monster, or like Frankenstein monster? Or better yet, how about a monster from Labyrinth. That was a wonderfully shit movie. By the way, rep coming to you as soon as possible. Damn 24 hours.

Well mind you I was born towards the height of Hulkamania in the WWF and was raised on the cusp between the "golden era" and "attitude era". I heard stories about great wrestlers from my mom's time and my grandfather's time like Karl Gotch, Bruno Sammartino, Grizzly Smith, and others. I remember Bill Watts banning moves off the top rope. I sat on monday nights to watch as much of both Nitro and Raw as I could, I was there for the first mentions of "the Streak" (ala the Undertaker), I remember SCSA back when he was merely "Stunning" and during the god-awful time as the Ringmaster (Hint hint Tenta!). I remember most, if not all, of the "lovely" gimmicks that Tenta has graciously brought back to the nostalgic minds and the newer, more casual fans alike. I watched Vader running at the top and through everyone in WCW. I saw him go to WWF and eventually get turned into a giant jobber.

Oh yes I know better now. But it doesn't stop me from smiling. Watching the old school brings me back to my childhood... it brings me back to a simpler time when professional wrestling had that mystique that made us keep watching to see what would happen next. Professional wrestling...oh sorry, SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.... is a lesson in evolution. I ask you: If high flyers like Jushin Liger and Mil Mascaras hadn't brought their art to the United States, would wrestlers like Jeff Hardy enjoy the mainstream success they're having now? No one knows. Would there have been "agile" big guys like Samoa Joe if it weren't for Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow? No one knows. Would there have been the cult following for the Rock as big as it was if there wasn't the running of Hulkamania? No one knows.

My point is pure agreement of Tenta: It's all in the context. I'll fully admit I prefer the older school wrestling over today's. But I'll still watch today's wrestling to appreciate the evolution (or in certain cases, the lack thereof!) Besides, look at the history: For every one "popular" gimmick/persona, there are at least 5 that makes any given fan gag at the mere thought of them on the screen. There's always going to be that rabid fan that thinks the sun did some shining out of Hogan's/Warrior's/Cena's ass when many think of Hogan/Warrior/Cena as the most overrated wrestler of all time. It isn't the rose colored glasses that's the problem: It's the inability, even now, to distinguish wrestling fantasy from wrestling reality. Rose colored glasses just put a pleasurable spin on the view even knowing the utter crap is still present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back